• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD OpenSIL Implementation (AGESA Replacement) On Track for 2025

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
OpenSIL is an open-source CPU initialization framework project that seeks to replace on-chip initialization microcode, such as AGESA, across both client- and server processors. AMD looks to implement OpenSIL as it makes its AMD EPYC processors more friendly to large customers that want to take control of this aspect of the processor. Since its open-sourcing in June 2023, AMD has come up with reference motherboards implementing OpenSIL, as well as modifying a Supermicro server motherboard to the architecture, to demo at conferences. AMD firmware engineer Paul Grimes presented the company's progress with implementing OpenSIL, at the OSFC conference, in Germany. It's been known that AMD is targeting a 2025-26 timeline for OpenSIL to hit product, but AMD put out specifics, such as its next-generation "Venice" server processor supporting OpenSIL.

"Venice" is codename for an AMD EPYC server processor generation succeeding "Turin." It is built on the future "Zen 6" microarchitecture, and AMD could at least unveil the processor some time in 2025, if not mass-produce it. late-2024 thru 2025 could see the company ramp up "Turin" and other server processors implementing "Zen 5." That's not all, AMD plans to being OpenSIL even to client processors, with the generation of Ryzen processors based on "Zen 6." This will see the AGESA microcode replaced by a first-party firmware from AMD based on OpenSIL, which PC OEMs will be able to customize. The biggest impact of this change will be felt in the commercial notebook and commercial desktop segments, where large organizations can take greater control over the chip initialization firmware.

OpenSIL supports various industry-standard baseboard firmware standards, including the popular UEFI, Coreboot, and Linuxboot. AMD's OpenSIL libraries include xPRF a reference firmware for a given platform, xSIM, a silicon initialization module that is product-specific, and xUSL, which lets OEMs develop utilities and services for OpenSIL.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

AMD will use this as the excuse to umm ahh about not fulfilling their commitment to AM5 in good faith. Calling it now.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
Damn, I’m already late for the usual AMD trashing just because its an AMD article.

Why better control over hardware initialization would appeal to PC manufacturers?

AMD will use this as the excuse to umm ahh about not fulfilling their commitment to AM5 in good faith. Calling it now.
There are numerous reasons to make software open source. In this case, the main reason would be insuficient people to work on the code. Whatever it is, as long as there is an entity governing the repository (be it AMD or some other organization), it's not bad.

This is more a security topic. Which most likely not many consumers will bother with. I doubt everyone will understand the importance of this topic. And why it matters and why it is so important.

This is more a security topic. Which most likely not many consumers will bother with. I doubt everyone will understand the importance of this topic. And why it matters and why it is so important.
I might not understand the underlying technology, but I understand the need of security. I've seen plenty articles about rootkits and a proof of concept of installing a root kit in CPU's secure procesor (or management engine). What I don't understand why will openISil and better control over hardware initialization benefit PC manufacturers.

Why better control over hardware initialization would appeal to PC manufacturers?
It's not only about hardware initialization but overall low level access. For example AMD already supports firmware customization for laptop manufacturers that allows them to finely tune performance and power characteristics based on physical design of the device. For Linux it's supported by the kernel AMD Platform Management Framework.
While this initial OpenSIL rollout is primarily targeted at the server market it might provide tangible benefits to consumers in the long run such as actual change logs between versions (AGESA versions are enigmatic to say the least), better documentation and view into the internals of SoCs/CPUs.
However it really depends on how security is going to be handled - I doubt that customer-provided firmware parts will be flashable freely, but I'm ready to be surprised on that part.
There are numerous reasons to make software open source. In this case, the main reason would be insuficient people to work on the code. Whatever it is, as long as there is an entity governing the repository (be it AMD or some other organization), it's not bad.
From the announcement it looks like AMD will delay open source releases of their code by one quarter from the official hardware release, and will try to improve the overall firmware ecosystem. I find this policy a sensible compromise.

From the announcement it looks like AMD will delay open source releases of their code by one quarter from the official hardware release, and will try to improve the overall firmware ecosystem. I find this policy a sensible compromise.
So this is more for the "in the know" people, as I'd say, than a regular user such as myself. Still, I look forward to reading articles about it, even if I only understand some of it :)
Thank you for explaining.

Edit:
These second language grammar errors :)

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
You really don't know the audience here. No not everyone here gets it of course, but some of us are very well versed in security.

I might not understand the underlying technology, but I understand the need of security. I've seen plenty articles about rootkits and a proof of concept of installing a root kit in CPU's secure procesor (or management engine). What I don't understand why will openISil and better control over hardware initialization benefit PC manufacturers.
It's more of a passing of the buck from my perspective. Not that that's a bad thing. Board makers should have to do some of the firmware legwork themselves, expecting AMD to do most of it ala AGESA is just silly.

Processor 5950x
Motherboard B550 ProArt
Cooling Fuma 2
Memory 4x32GB 3200MHz Corsair LPX
Video Card(s) 2x RTX 3090
Display(s) LG 42" C2 4k OLED
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Software I use Arch btw
PC manufacturers won't care. The likes of Gigabyte, MSI and whatnot do not deal with such low level stuff, they just buy their firmware from AMI/Insyde etc, those are the ones thay might have an interest in picking up such firmware instead of just blindly loading the AGESA.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Open source means new ideas accepted. I am sure that there are not many on even TPU that understand CPU to that level so it will be a quantified field of professionals, students and hobbyists.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Open source means new ideas accepted. I am sure that there are not many on even TPU that understand CPU to that level so it will be a quantified field of professionals, students and hobbyists.
But open source still doesn't mean that everyone will be able to modify the OpenSIL code and drill holes in the boot process, which is hardened against hobbyists, students and especially from professionals. Some modules will be provided and signed by AMD, some by AMI, some by the mobo manufacturer, some by Microsoft, etc.
(Microsoft? For one, they have their Pluton black boxes inside CPUs.)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Interesting

Are there any other benefits besides security?

Processor 5950x
Motherboard B550 ProArt
Cooling Fuma 2
Memory 4x32GB 3200MHz Corsair LPX
Video Card(s) 2x RTX 3090
Display(s) LG 42" C2 4k OLED
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Software I use Arch btw
System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT White
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB, Toshiba N300 10TB HDD, Seagate Ironwolf 4T HDD
Display(s) Acer Predator X32FP 32in 160Hz 4K FreeSync/GSync DP, LG 32UL950 32in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
Fragmentation in boot-firmware platform.