• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Confirms Retreat from the Enthusiast GPU Segment, to Focus on Gaining Market-Share

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD in an interview with Tom's Hardware, confirmed that its next generation of gaming GPUs based on the RDNA 4 graphics architecture will not target the enthusiast graphics segment. Speaking with Paul Alcorn, AMD's Computing and Graphics Business Group head Jack Huynh, said that with its next generation, AMD will focus on gaining market share in the PC gaming graphics market, which means winning price-performance battles against NVIDIA in key mainstream- and performance segments, similar to what it did with the Radeon RX 5000 series based on the original RDNA graphics architecture, and not get into the enthusiast segment that's low-margin with the kind of die-sizes at play, and move low volumes. AMD currently only holds 12% of the gaming discrete GPU market, something it sorely needs to turn around, given that its graphics IP is contemporary.

On a pointed question on whether AMD will continue to address the enthusiast GPU market, given that allocation for cutting-edge wafers are better spent on data-center GPUs, Huynh replied: "I am looking at scale, and AMD is in a different place right now. We have this debate quite a bit at AMD, right? So the question I ask is, the PlayStation 5, do you think that's hurting us? It's $499. So, I ask, is it fun to go King of the Hill? Again, I'm looking for scale. Because when we get scale, then I bring developers with us. So, my number one priority right now is to build scale, to get us to 40 to 50 percent of the market faster. Do I want to go after 10% of the TAM [Total Addressable Market] or 80%? I'm an 80% kind of guy because I don't want AMD to be the company that only people who can afford Porsches and Ferraris can buy. We want to build gaming systems for millions of users. Yes, we will have great, great, great products. But we tried that strategy [King of the Hill]—it hasn't really grown. ATI has tried this King of the Hill strategy, and the market share has kind of been...the market share. I want to build the best products at the right system price point. So, think about price point-wise; we'll have leadership."

Alcorn pressed: "Price point-wise, you have leadership, but you won't go after the flagship market?," to which Huynh replied: "One day, we may. But my priority right now is to build scale for AMD. Because without scale right now, I can't get the developers. If I tell developers, 'I'm just going for 10 percent of the market share,' they just say, 'Jack, I wish you well, but we have to go with Nvidia.' So, I have to show them a plan that says, 'Hey, we can get to 40% market share with this strategy.' Then they say, 'I'm with you now, Jack. Now I'll optimize on AMD.' Once we get that, then we can go after the top."

The exchange seems to confirm that AMD's decision to withdraw from the enthusiast segment is driven mainly by the low volumes it is seeing for the kind of engineering effort and large wafer costs spent building enthusiast-segment GPUs. The company saw great success with its Radeon RX 6800 series and RX 6900 series mainly because the RDNA 2 generation benefited from the GPU-accelerated cryptomining craze, where high-end GPUs were in demand. This demand disappeared by the time AMD rolled out its next-generation Radeon RX 7900 series powered by RDNA 3, and the lack of performance leadership compared to the GeForce RTX 4090 and RTX 4080 with ray tracing enabled, hurt the company's prospects. News of AMD focusing on the performance segment (and below), aligns with the rumors that with RDNA 4, AMD is making a concerted effort to improving its ray tracing performance, to reduce the performance impact of enabling ray tracing. This, raster performance, and efficiency, could be the company's play in gaining market share.

The grand assumption AMD is making here, is that it has a product problem, and not a distribution problem, and that with a product that strikes the right performance/Watt and performance/price equations, it will gain market-share.

Catch the full interview in the source link below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

It’s important to point out here that we are talking mainstream performance in the NEXT gen which means high performance in the current gen.

AMD cannot release 7800xt performance levels as the max RDNA4. The highest SKU needs to tie or beat 7900XT levels which would move down a peg in the next series typically.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I understand that the midrange is where most of the money is, and therefore, focusing there is a good idea, but how would releasing a high-end chip eat into it? Would it take the development time away from other projects?

Perhaps a bottom-up instead of top-down approach would be good. That is, instead of developing a big chip and cutting it up for lower tiers, maybe they could make a small and efficient midrange chip, and scale it up for high-end?

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
It would be funny and great AMD releases a mid range GPU that smacks down the 5090 at about 1/4 the price. Nvidia would then probably rather leave the market than cut prices by 75%.

But more seriously, the advantage of this tactic may to be put more pressure on developers to target lower end hardware for their game releases, although will need to grow market share to achieve that level of influence.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Hopefully this results in another absolute banger, like the 5870, RX480, or 5700XT (some issues not withstanding) that sells like hotcakes and not only gains market share but lifts AMD's image in the GPU market. There is an absolute killing to be made in the sub $500 USD arena if they can market and execute well.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I understand that the midrange is where most of the money is, and therefore, focusing there is a good idea, but how would releasing a high-end chip eat into it? Would it take the development time away from other projects?

Perhaps a bottom-up instead of top-down approach would be good. That is, instead of developing a big chip and cutting it up for lower tiers, maybe they could make a small and efficient midrange chip, and scale it up for high-end?

One reason is that AMD doesn't have limitless access to wafers. They can only get so many so they want to focus that supply on the greater majority of consumers. They are doing the right thing from a business perspective. It just won't scratch the itch for AMD fans that want to see AMD with the fastest GPU out there.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
if amd wants the market back to 50%
why not release a powerful gpu for the ps6 along side one for the pc segment and deliver great ray and path tracing
that way they maximize utilization of the wafers

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Prepare for 2000$+ video cards from nGreedia. /facepalm.
Well, if people are dumb enough to change every year their phone for a simmilar one, then they are probably dumb enough to pay nGreedia's callous prices too, so...

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
It’s a good strategy on paper, as people already pointed out - that’s what drove the success of 5870. Problem is, it also required somewhat of a fumble on NVidias part. Since I assume this go around NV isn’t going to mess up and they also, despite all the talk about “2000 bucks flagship”, will have products at all price points, AMD has to have something truly compelling to actually grab that market share. The “like NV, but slightly worse on features and 10-15% cheaper” hasn’t worked for them so far.

System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
It’s important to point out here that we are talking mainstream performance in the NEXT gen which means high performance in the current gen.

AMD cannot release 7800xt performance levels as the max RDNA4. The highest SKU needs to tie or beat 7900XT levels which would move down a peg in the next series typically.

Who is 'we'? You have an association with those folks? You part of their company? Being a consumer doesn't mean you are an expert at anything you might consume or presume to. Check your pant size.

Who says they cannot release what they release? You? Who are you? Your credentials are severely lacking for what you are saying in the way you are saying it. Actually I guffawed at your post.

So much entitled elitism in this forum, it's really funny when it comes from an ultracrepidarian in the form of a dingleberry latching onto the balls of a company. Do you even own stock in AMD? lol

-----------------------------------

I think it's the obvious move for AMD, they have 2 proverbial irons in the fire against 2 companies that have bigger one in each. They got lucky on the CPU front, it would take a miracle to catch nV.

Looking forward, how responsible is it for folks to use a 50+ billion transistor 400+ watt GPU just to play pretty games, anyway? I ask this as a guy who's been gaming since 1980. Game devs are irresponsible for the bloat that is modern games, and end-users are just driving it, IMO. Gamers tend to be selfish!

It’s a good strategy on paper, as people already pointed out - that’s what drove the success of 5870. Problem is, it also required somewhat of a fumble on NVidias part. Since I assume this go around NV isn’t going to mess up and they also, despite all the talk about “2000 bucks flagship”, will have products at all price points, AMD has to have something truly compelling to actually grab that market share. The “like NV, but slightly worse on features and 10-15% cheaper” hasn’t worked for them so far.
NVIDIA will not stand still.
It will adjust the pricing according to AMD to maintain the 10-15% pricing lead.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
Prepare for 2000$+ video cards from nGreedia. /facepalm.
Well, if people are dumb enough to change every year their phone for a simmilar one, then they are probably dumb enough to pay nGreedia's callous prices too, so...
There is a good point for "normal" people : the 2nd hand market !
Let people buy high end stuff, wait for a year, and buy it 2nd hand for a fraction of the price. :)

System Name Nebulon B
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
It would be funny and great AMD releases a mid range GPU that smacks down the 5090 at about 1/4 the price. Nvidia would then probably rather leave the market than cut prices by 75%.

But more seriously, the advantage of this tactic may to be put more pressure on developers to target lower end hardware for their game releases, although will need to grow market share to achieve that level of influence.
Devs have to target lower end hardware anyway as long as we don't have a 4090 in the PS5.

One reason is that AMD doesn't have limitless access to wafers. They can only get so many so they want to focus that supply on the greater majority of consumers. They are doing the right thing from a business perspective. It just won't scratch the itch for AMD fans that want to see AMD with the fastest GPU out there.
I agree. My own target is midrange anyway, so I don't mind.

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
I do understand this Interview a bit different since he said they will care about the enthusiast user but not the flagship stuff for now.....since for me a 500€ GPU is kinda enthusiast I am okay with that.

In the Polaris time they had way more influence than they have now and if they use this strategy to move up gradually thats fine for me.

I also would love to see rx7900xt raster performance (4070ti RT performance) within the 250w envelope with the 8800 series. Priced at Max 500€ ofc. Also some really nice 180-350€ offerings with 8700/8600.

That would be lovely.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Devs have to target lower end hardware anyway as long as we don't have a 4090 in the PS5.

I agree. My own target is midrange anyway, so I don't mind.

Well black myth we can see on the PS5 DF analysis is a bit of a mess, it doesnt run at a consistent frame rate in any of its modes, and was clearly targeted at more powerful hardware. It also dips outside of VRR range (PS5 doesnt fully implement VRR) so VRR doesnt save it.

To clarify what I mean by targeting lower end hardware is a game can run at 60fps 1080p/1440p without any DLSS/FSR/FG type feature on a console and on a mid range or lower GPU without needing trash quality settings.

Even with games that run ok on console, they can often need much more grunt to run as well on the PC, as the optimisation is targeted at flagship most of the time.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
As mentioned by another poster, waffers are expensive and since no matter what they offer, people keep buying Ngreedia, then they are approaching the tier which might given them more returns.
Given how stupid the current devotion to everything Ngreedia these past years, those people will still buy Ngreedia, hence they wont need a price cut. Example, 7900xtx are as good as 4080’s, but cheaper, yet everyone is buying …4080s.

Yes, the RT bs, dlss lockin, etc, but ignore those and you have a good gpu thats ignored.
Hopefully this results in another absolute banger, like the 5870, RX480, or 5700XT (some issues not withstanding) that sells like hotcakes and not only gains market share but lifts AMD's image in the GPU market. There is an absolute killing to be made in the sub $500 USD arena if they can market and execute well.
See my responses above.

Example, I got a 7900xtx for around 800 and 2 pack in games worth 170, so around 600+ plus, yet very few bothered in buying them, instead went with 4080s and even 4070s.

The worst thing is that 99.9% of the YouTube influencers dont even mention, less show any AMD gpus on their videos.

So potential buyers are not even aware that they have an option.

So this could interpreted that gaming gpu performance will be stagnating even harder and that we will be stuck at mid GeForce 3000 series performance for an other 4 years.

tiny ray of hope is battlemage.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI Mini ITX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S (please Valve, release a new headset)
Software Windows 10
Who is 'we'? You have an association with those folks? You part of their company? Being a consumer doesn't mean you are an expert at anything you might consume or presume to. Check your pant size.

Who says they cannot release what they release? You? Who are you? Your credentials are severely lacking for what you are saying in the way you are saying it. Actually I guffawed at your post.

So much entitled elitism in this forum, it's really funny when it comes from an ultracrepidarian in the form of a dingleberry latching onto the balls of a company. Do you even own stock in AMD? lol

-----------------------------------

I think it's the obvious move for AMD, they have 2 proverbial irons in the fire against 2 companies that have bigger one in each. They got lucky on the CPU front, it would take a miracle to catch nV.

Looking forward, how responsible is it for folks to use a 50+ billion transistor 400+ watt GPU just to play pretty games, anyway? I ask this as a guy who's been gaming since 1980. Game devs are irresponsible for the bloat that is modern games, and end-users are just driving it, IMO. Gamers tend to be selfish!
It's just a way of talking about us, tech enthusiast, and people who will read this in general. You have just read too deep in those two letter.
I totally agree with you on the second half. There is a big step in the optimisation that needs to be redone and not only counting on our very advanced technology. I'm always impressed that we have those thing in our hands, used by majority of humanity (I'm not only talking about latest tech but even 10 years old tech). That's crazy from multiple point of view.

On topic, I'm kinda curious to see if they can finally hit the spot in the mid/high-mid range. We will see if it will reduce even slightly the price of gpu.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Example, I got a 7900xtx for around 800 and 2 pack in games worth 170, so around 600+ plus, yet very few bothered in buying them, instead went with 4080s and even 4070s.
Doesn't help that the 7900XT launched with a stupid, nonsensical price to upsell the XTX, and all the reviews I saw didn't recommend it at the 900$ MSRP for good reason, it didn't make sense to buy it. If it launched at 800 USD or less it would have sold more without question, but instead AMD fumbled that and then quickly lowered the price anyway, but the perception damage was done.
The worst thing is that 99.9% of the YouTube influencers dont even mention, less show any AMD gpus on their videos.

So potential buyers are not even aware that they have an option.
I don't know about "influencers" but the techtubers I watch review both AMD and Nvidia hardware and are very fair to the merits and shortcomings of both, the biggest entity that can help AMD sell more GPU's is AMD. I don't watch any content creators that only cover Nvidia and fail to cover AMD/give them a fair shake, and I don't want to. If AMD gets the marketing and lead up right, then launches good, well rounded products at attractive prices, they will sell. The sub 500 USD market is foaming at the mouth for compelling options.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Sounds reasonable to me.
Just because Jensen would love to sell a RTX 5090 Ti for 4000€ doesn't mean you have to play along. Considering the prices of GPUs nowadays... I welcome this decision.

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
That's what you get when your innovation is mostly TSMC new node.
You have to respect Nvidia's tireless competition and innovation that seemed gimmicky at first but look who's laughing now.
Let's get ready for 1000$ midrange gpu's.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
Doesn't help that the 7900XT launched with a stupid, nonsensical price to upsell the XTX, and all the reviews I saw didn't recommend it at the 900$ MSRP for good reason, it didn't make sense to buy it. If it launched at 800 USD or less it would have sold more without question, but instead AMD fumbled that and then quickly lowered the price anyway, but the perception damage was done.
Dont get me started on that one…

Hell, the whole lineup was simply a mess.

In my book, all Radeon 7K gpus needed to be named one tier less and priced accordingly. Example 7900xtx should be 7900 xt, the 7900xt should be either 7900 or 7800xt and so on.

About the price correction of the 7900xt, thats one of those “excuses “ used by the current buyers, whom for some “weird” reason conveniently ignored the same thing on Ngreedias part. Like the price jump from a 3080 to a 4080.
I don't know about "influencers" but the techtubers I watch review both AMD and Nvidia hardware and are very fair to the merits
I wont list them all, but i have completely dropped Ngreedia Unboxed. Especially if the video is headed by Tim.

See how easily the use “DOA” on any AMD reviews or the time that Tim published 3 hit pieces against AMD because it was rumored that AMD strictly forbid the use of dlss. And no, i dont think he ever published a video apologizing for that.

On the subject, I recall rumors that RDNa4 is a “error” correction/update of RDNa3 kind of deal and the real replacement will be RDNA5.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
If AMD targets the mid range, what we are supposed to take from that?
Which would be the mid range card for the next gen? Is it the 7900 xt? The 7900 xt was $799 at release and it was quite a bit for something of that caliber.
What would be the price for the mid range of that caliber? Is $400 OK? It is still a mid range.
If AMD can sell 7900 XT performance for a $300 with the RDNA 4 arch I will be willing to buy it. $350 to consider

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Brave move, let's see how it plays out.

Am I only skeptical here ? Have 500€ for october november releases on the table. I doubt rdna4 can have good drivers. I had rx 6700 10gb wich was DOA and an rx 6600 8gb which I could not found stable settings. Let alone power consumption, raytracing and upscalling, I doubt amd can compete with nvidia on midrange on click-to-play experience, as both nvidia and amd owner.