• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Addresses Rampant Cheaters in Deadlock With Unorthodox 'Frog Anti-Cheat' in Latest Update

Cpt.Jank

Staff
Staff member
Valve's latest third-person MOBA-like hero shooter, Deadlock, has had a pretty serious cheater problem, despite still being an invite-only public test. While the game has thus far operated on a player reporting system to identify and punish cheaters, a recent game patch has introduced a rather comical—and seemingly effective—anti-cheat system that can either ban cheating players or turn them into frogs until the end of the match.

Valve says that the new anti-cheat system is set up to be fairly conservative at the moment to avoid any false positives. Aside from the new anti-cheat, Deadlock's September 26 update introduced a new hero, Mirage, whose design and gameplay seem rooted in the jinn from Arabic myths (aka djinn or genie) and added a pretty vast collection of gameplay updates, balances, and quality-of-life improvements throughout the game.

According to the update notes, if the new anti-cheat system detects a cheater, it prompts the rest of the players in the game to vote: Either they can kick and ban the offending player effective immediately, ending the match in the process, or they can turn the cheater into a frog until the end of the match and then ban them. It's clear that Valve is having a bit of fun with the reputation that Deadlock has recently earned because of its cheaters, although it says it is working on "a v2 anti-cheat system that is more extensive." It's not entirely clear which anti-cheat system Valve is using for Deadlock, however, it was previously thought to be implementing VAC, as is present in Counter-Strike 2.

You can read the full patch notes here, but it's safe to say that the game is changing rapidly as Valve gathers feedback from its player base, which has reportedly reached well over 100,000 players as of the time of writing. The biggest changes seem to be in the name of fair and fun gameplay, with fixes including:

• Aggressive crouch spamming within a very narrow window will now cause you to very briefly move progressively slower.
  • Some latency-related calculation improvements that help orbs be a little less deny favored.
  • Side lanes are now a little further apart from the middle lanes.
  • Added a Soul Generator (like the one in hero sandbox) in the respawn area. Starts spawning orbs at 3 minutes. Each orb is worth 10 souls when shot. (primary purpose for this is cases when you are very close to an item purchase)

Deadlock is still in early development, and although Valve has given the game an official Steam page, it hasn't yet commented on when the game will be released. That said, all indications point to a 2025 release for the new hero shooter.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I like this idea. frog humiliation, continue a fair game and ban

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
frog humiliation
No. Frogs are too powerful. They should turn them into some other more degrading animal, like a human.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
No. Frogs are too powerful. They should turn them into some other more degrading animal, like a human.
I actually, as a human, enjoyed the taste of frogs legs.

Was like Chicken.

System Name Lenovo Legion 5 17ach6h
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
Cooling Standard + PTM7950
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Storage 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe
Display(s) 27" ASRock FHD IPS
Mouse EVGA X20
Keyboard Redragon K530 Pro Draconic
Software Windows 11

Was like Chicken.

Alligator as well. A bit on the salty side, though that could've been due to the way it was prepared. Only had it once.

I approve of Valve's tactics here. Despite the fact that I have zero interest in online games and I frequently deploy Cheat Engine in my single player games.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Why poll?
It's obvious most people would prefer to avoid going through connecting, loading, and starting a new game if they can just kick offender and continue playing. Adding humiliation of cheaters the mix? Jimmy Carter had better odds...

Was like Chicken.
Are you by any chance from the francophone parts of Canada?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Are you by any chance from the francophone parts of Canada?
I should place you on ignore just for thinking I could even be from that part of Canada.

What a retarded idea! :kookoo: Why not insta ban and then join a legit player to the game from matchmaking queue to help the team.

I hope this crappy game will end up as Concord. :D

We have enough Overwatch clones over 10 years. :D

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Ah yes PvP cheaters, the bottom of the barrel low life gamers.

Processor 5700X
Motherboard ASRock Gaming X
Memory 2x8 3600 CL14
Video Card(s) 1080 SEAHAWK
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Ah yes PvP cheaters, the bottom of the barrel low life gamers.
Gamers ? Please, use the rights words like low life dogs, subhumans, cunts etc :)

I know it's internet but some countries shouldn't be allowed to play vs the rest of the world

What a retarded idea! :kookoo: Why not insta ban and then join a legit player to the game from matchmaking queue to help the team.

I hope this crappy game will end up as Concord. :D

We have enough Overwatch clones over 10 years. :D

Did you play both ? What's wrong with this one ?

Last edited:

mikesg

Did you play both ? What's wrong with this one ?

Deadlock takes the worst from CS & Dota and combines them into one.

If you don't use the number one build for your character, drink five coffees, and jiggle-dance from afar... you get movement-locked, skill-locked, dead in two seconds and abused by your team for doing nothing.

Should have been a Savage: Resurrections clone.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
How I miss the days when I could play game on my own, at my own pace... If I felt like it, I could even cheat and give myself a ton of cash or infinite lives, no one would give rat's a$$. ("Jing it baby", "IDDQD" anyone?)

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I should be thankful that I learned my lesson early on with the multiplayer games. Whenever there is a game with rankings and stats there will be cheaters. They will find a way somehow. It ruins the fun of the experience for me. Some might be surprised to find out this has been going on as long as online gaming has existed. I recall a popular online game back in the mid 1980s on dial up BBS called Empire. Understanding the simple BASIC programming language was common back then and any sysop or cosysop (administrator or moderator in today's terms) could alter the variables in the program to cheat like crazy and many did.

Then my next experience was in playing chess, backgammon and checkers online on Yahoo Games back in the late 1990s. Incredibly there were many using programs to cheat on those games to raise their stats. How pathetic is that?

Cheaters don't care how pathetic they are or how they ruin the fun for everyone. They just do it for the glory of the high stats and rankings. I don't see how it's possible to ever eliminate them entirely. From what I've read there are even gaming monitors that can track opponents in MP shooters and outline them on screen to give an advantage.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
You. Into the boiler device. Now.

Good. I aim to please.
You don't boil frog legs you fry them. It's like chicken wings. Aligators are also fried up like catfish here.

I should be thankful that I learned my lesson early on with the multiplayer games. Whenever there is a game with rankings and stats there will be cheaters. They will find a way somehow. It ruins the fun of the experience for me. Some might be surprised to find out this has been going on as long as online gaming has existed. I recall a popular online game back in the mid 1980s on dial up BBS called Empire. Understanding the simple BASIC programming language was common back then and any sysop or cosysop (administrator or moderator in today's terms) could alter the variables in the program to cheat like crazy and many did.

Then my next experience was in playing chess, backgammon and checkers online on Yahoo Games back in the late 1990s. Incredibly there were many using programs to cheat on those games to raise their stats. How pathetic is that?

Cheaters don't care how pathetic they are or how they ruin the fun for everyone. They just do it for the glory of the high stats and rankings. I don't see how it's possible to ever eliminate them entirely. From what I've read there are even gaming monitors that can track opponents in MP shooters and outline them on screen to give an advantage.

This is false. A lot of people cheat on PC for the laughs.

Case in point in ut2003 ut2004 one of the top American players also created a cheat engine. Largely an aimbot. I knew him personally as in face to face. He never once cheated in a competitive match and helped point out cheats. He was trusted. But that did not stop him from loading up an alt name and turning the shit on full blast on CTF face and just unleashing all hell because instagib is for scrubs and it was darkly funny. Obviously he wasn't doing it for the rankings as it wasn't in competitive events and wasn't using his tag. That had nothing to do with it. His motivation was that Dr.S1n created an aimbot in UT99 and then got hired by EPIC games and he wasn't gonna have any of that so he went and did his own thing. Que hilarity.

Cheating is just a part of PC gaming. Don't like it get off the PC. But the motivations are wide and variable.

Besides PC gaming is about cheating now. Look if you have a righ with a 4090 and a 480hz monitor and all that jazz you have an advantage over someone who does not. Inherently PC gaming is about being able to hurl money at it to win more. Not about playing fair. It always has been. So complaining about software cheating when you can spend your way up the charts is very silly.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
You don't boil frog legs you fry them. It's like chicken wings. Aligators are also fried up like catfish here.
Right. You boil people who eat frog legs. They are going straight to hell anyways.

Sidenote: My father has also eaten frog legs and that may be part of why I am a frog. Watch your offspring.

Case in point in ut2003 ut2004 one of the top American players also created a cheat engine. Largely an aimbot. I knew him personally as in face to face. He never once cheated in a competitive match and helped point out cheats. He was trusted. But that did not stop him from loading up an alt name and turning the shit on full blast on CTF face and just unleashing all hell because instagib is for scrubs and it was darkly funny. Obviously he wasn't doing it for the rankings as it wasn't in competitive events and wasn't using his tag. That had nothing to do with it. His motivation was that Dr.S1n created an aimbot in UT99 and then got hired by EPIC games and he wasn't gonna have any of that so he went and did his own thing. Que hilarity.

Cheating is just a part of PC gaming. Don't like it get off the PC. But the motivations are wide and variable.

Besides PC gaming is about cheating now. Look if you have a righ with a 4090 and a 480hz monitor and all that jazz you have an advantage over someone who does not. Inherently PC gaming is about being able to hurl money at it to win more. Not about playing fair. It always has been. So complaining about software cheating when you can spend your way up the charts is very silly.
I mean the rules change when you are playing an online game and sign a EULA saying you "will not cheat."

Don't like it? Get off that game.

Dogs are legit bro.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I think a turkey would be a good one too or the chicken from Moana lol

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Well, I guess you have made your point that cheating is ok and if people don't like it then, as you say, they should just get off the PC. Now you just have to convince everyone else and maybe send a note to Gaben that Steam is wrong to fight cheaters because cheating is ok and if he doesn't like it then he can just take all of their MP games off the PC. lol Let me know how that turns out for you.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
How I miss the days when I could play game on my own, at my own pace... If I felt like it, I could even cheat and give myself a ton of cash or infinite lives, no one would give rat's a$$. ("Jing it baby", "IDDQD" anyone?)
Dude, this is a competitive game. You play against other people with a ladder system, who would want to play an online competitive game with cheaters. Also what you mean by "missing the days when you could play the game on your own at your own pace" xD. What the fuck that even means, no one is putting a gun on your head to play any game at any imposed pace xDDD

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
If only they would do the same on TF2 (turning them into gray dispensers, benefits both teams) and CS (turning them into chickens!).
Gamers ? Please, use the rights words like low life dogs
Oi!

Tripwired

If you don't use the number one build for your character, drink five coffees, and jiggle-dance from afar... you get movement-locked, skill-locked, dead in two seconds and abused by your team for doing nothing.

Sounds like you're not very good to me.

Processor 5700X
Motherboard ASRock Gaming X
Memory 2x8 3600 CL14
Video Card(s) 1080 SEAHAWK
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2703-GS

So overwatch or CS ? :D

I have a couple of hours now and the dota feeling is only here because it's a fking mess, no one communicate, you have denies and towers but that it.
If you are a few K behind it's very hard to recover/have impact or win the game (unless you are dead brain haze with +20k)

Last edited: