• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090 and RTX 5080 Specifications Surface, Showing Larger SKU Segmentation

I could say the same for your ideas about decoupled memory, but I believe neither of us have a crystal ball, right?
You dont have to have crystall ball to see at how crazy pace changes goes on. Yes maybe I'm wrong by few years but it didnt change the final result.
Let me explain my point of view in details.
If you need let say 500 GB or 1 TB to run advanced LLM on your hardware so you dont want to get soldered them to a toy like 5090 which will have very limited lifespan for the sake of pace of changes in IC industry alone.
Decoupled memory is one time spending but its lifespan is twice or triple as long as lifespan of typical GPU .
If you dont belive me just look a check for how much gpu generations gddr5 or gddr6 were coupled.
So I assume the same will be valid for decoupled memories too - they will fit for many gpu generations 3 or even 4 of them.
So if optical interface will not be prohibitely expensive they will fairly soon replace soldered memories in AI oriented advanced hardware.
Entry level accelerators still would have relatively small amount and soldered wired memories.

Processor 5950x
Motherboard B550 ProArt
Cooling Fuma 2
Memory 4x32GB 3200MHz Corsair LPX
Video Card(s) 2x RTX 3090
Display(s) LG 42" C2 4k OLED
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Software I use Arch btw
If you need let say 500 GB or 1 TB to run advanced LLM on your hardware so you dont want to get soldered them to a toy like 5090 which will have very limited lifespan for the sake of pace of changes in IC industry alone.
You don't use toy hardware for such requirements tho. No one is trying to fine tune the actual large models in their basements, that's why the large H100 deployments are a thing.

3090s are still plently in use (heck, I have 2 myself), and A100s are still widely used 4 years after their launch.
Decoupled memory is one time spending but its lifespan is twice or triple as long as lifespan of typical GPU .
There's no decoupled solution that provides the same bandwidth that soldered memory does, which is of utmost importance for something like LLM, which are really bandwidth-bound.

So if optical interface will not be prohibitely expensive they will fairly soon replace soldered memories in AI oriented advanced hardware.
Mind providing any lead on such kind of offering? Current interconnects are the major bottlenecks in all clustered systems. Just saying "optical interface" doesn't mean much, since the current solutions are ate least one order of magnitude behind our soldered interfaces.

Entry level accelerators still would have relatively small amount and soldered wired memories.
Something like a 5090 would fit in this. It's considered an entry level accelerator for all purposes. The term "gpu-poor" is a good example of that.

I can see the point of your idea, but is not something that will take place at all within the next 5 years, and may take 10 years or more to become feasible. One pretty clear example of that is PCIe, with the current version 5.0 being a major bottleneck still, version 6.0 only coming to market next year, and 7.0 having its spec finished, but still way behind the likes of NVLink (PCIe 7.0 bandwidth will be somewhere between NVLink 2.0~3.0, which were Volta/Ampere links).
I believe NVLink is the fastest in-node interconnect in use in the market at the moment, and even it is still a bottleneck compared to the actual GPU memory.

I can see the point of your idea, but is not something that will take place at all within the next 5 years, and may take 10 years or more to become feasible. One pretty clear example of that is PCIe, with the current version 5.0 being a major bottleneck still, version 6.0 only coming to market next year, and 7.0 having its spec finished, but still way behind the likes of NVLink (PCIe 7.0 bandwidth will be somewhere between NVLink 2.0~3.0, which were Volta/Ampere links).
I believe NVLink is the fastest in-node interconnect in use in the market at the moment, and even it is still a bottleneck compared to the actual GPU memory.
I see I have to clear one thing still.
When I'm saying soldered memory I mean soldered to PCB (and wired by pcb tracks) not die to die soldering, direct bonding or any form of advanced packaging.
I think we are bit closer to agrement now.
When I'm saying decoupled memory with optical interface - I mean (affordable) dynamic memory not static one.
Low latency static memory or even HBM memory are quite different categories for the sake of (high) costs per bit.

I'm sure in 5 years timeframe decoupled memory will be competitive to GDDR7 soldered to pcb. ( GDDR7 as chiplets is quite different story ).
But of course I can be wrong and few more years we will have to waite for this fundamental changes on market.
But even if I'm wrong it still have minor impact on validity of my conclusion - at that fundamentally changed market today 5090 with their soldered GDDR7 ram will looks like a toy. That is my point.

Processor 5950x
Motherboard B550 ProArt
Cooling Fuma 2
Memory 4x32GB 3200MHz Corsair LPX
Video Card(s) 2x RTX 3090
Display(s) LG 42" C2 4k OLED
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Software I use Arch btw
But even if I'm wrong it still have minor impact on validity of my conclusion - at that fundamentally changed market today 5090 with their soldered GDDR7 ram will looks like a toy. That is my point.
By then a 5090 will (hopefully) look like a toy no matter if your idea came to be or not, given enough technology advancements.

If a 5090 is still able to be competitive with the status quo 5+ years from now, something wrong happened along the way.

By then a 5090 will (hopefully) look like a toy no matter if your idea came to be or not, given enough technology advancements.

If a 5090 is still able to be competitive with the status quo 5+ years from now, something wrong happened along the way.
Keep in mind Jensen and his marketing department telling us otherwise. They are trying to convince mainstream users ( and their investors as well ) cos the Moore law is dead the progress must slow down substantially and everything they are offering us must be extraordinary expensive.
But it is totally false picture.
The similiar picture were painted not so far ago in space industry - access to orbit must be expensive. But Musk show us otherwise.

edit
There are more factors than pure Moore law which keeping progress at fast pace now like arms race, US -China rivalry, etc
So goverments trying to stimulate their high-tech to stimulate their expansion plans and pace of progress as well.
Marketing departments trying to fool us in every possible way but we should be aware - what today looks like a bargain it wont be after a year or two so we should be more carefull which way we are spending our money cos future bargains coming to us (despite mainstream media outlets are mostly silent )- like decoupled memories - so we should be a bit more patient.

Last edited:
System Name 1.EXTREME-FLIGHT SIM//2.LIAN-LI/HOME
Processor 1.AMD RYZEN9 7950X 4500MHz 170W//2.AMD Ryzen7 3800x 3900 MHz 105W
Motherboard 1.ASUS ROG X670E Crosshair EXTREME BIOS V.0805//2.ASUS PRIME X570-PRO Bios V. 4102
Cooling 1.be quiet! Silent Loop 2 360MM//2.Stock AMD Wraith HSF
Memory 1.G. SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32MBx2 DDR5-6000//2.64GB G. SKILL Trident Z RGB 32MBx2
Video Card(s) 1. ASUS ROG Strix RTX4090 O24//2.ASUS TUF-GTX1650-O4GD6-GAMING
Storage 1.2TB Seagate FireCuda 540 M.2, 4TB Seagate FireCuda 3.5"//2. 1TB Seagate FireCuda 520 SSDx2 Raid0
Display(s) 1.Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57" 7860x2160 120Hz//2.ASUS TUF VG259Q
Case 1.be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2//2.LIAN LI PC-61 ATX Aluminum(2002)
Audio Device(s) 1.CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X AE-5 Plus Pure//2.CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR DBpro
Power Supply 1.be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W//2.CORSAIR CX750M
Mouse 1.LOGITECH Pro Superlight//2.LOGITECH G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard 1.CORSAIR K100 AIR//2.LOGITECH K740
Software 1.WINDOWS 11 x64 PRO 21H2, MSFS2020, DCS//2.WINDOWS 11 x64 PRO 22H2
Somebody needs to make a card to run Samsung's LS57CG952... MONITOR @ 7680x2160, 240 Hz and DP 2.1. No?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (+PBO)
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB
Memory 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal Gold @ 3733MHz CL14 (14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 2TB w/ Heatsink SSD + Seagate FireCuda 530 SSD 2TB w/ Heatsink
Display(s) AORUS FO32U2P 4K QD-OLED 240Hz monitor (and also an LG OLED C9 55" TV 4K@120Hz)
Case CoolerMaster H500M (Mesh)
Audio Device(s) AKG N90Q with AudioQuest DragonFly Red (USB DAC)
Power Supply Corsair AX1500i (1500W 80+ Titanium)
Mouse Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 Pro
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Keep in mind Jensen and his marketing department telling us otherwise. They are trying to convince mainstream users ( and their investors as well ) cos the Moore law is dead the progress must slow down substantially and everything they are offering us must be extraordinary expensive.
But it is totally false picture.
The similiar picture were painted not so far ago in space industry - access to orbit must be expensive. But Musk show us otherwise.

edit
There are more factors than pure Moore law which keeping progress at fast pace now like arms race, US -China rivalry, etc
So goverments trying to stimulate their high-tech to stimulate their expansion plans and pace of progress as well.
Marketing departments trying to fool us in every possible way but we should be aware - what today looks like a bargain it wont be after a year or two so we should be more carefull which way we are spending our money cos future bargains coming to us (despite mainstream media outlets are mostly silent )- like decoupled memories - so we should be a bit more patient.
Yeah Nvidia are definitely amazing at Marketing...same as Apple! They make people believe whatever they say!
I have a 4090 because I play at 4K but when I see how it struggles with Next-Gen games at 4K already I don't even want to know how badly it will age! Ray Tracing and mostly Path Tracing are making games too hard to run, and Developers barely optimize their games anymore, so we have to use DLSS and Frame Generation to get decent performance! What a joke...
Sure I enjoy being able to play Cyberpunk 2077, Alan Wake 2, Black Myth: Wukong, etc. with Path Tracing but without DLSS and FG the games run around 25fps at Native 4K lol.
So even if the 5090 was able to 2x performance vs 4090 it would still be below 60fps... meaning we will need to wait for the 6090 to do that, and by then games will be a lot more demanding... it's a never ending story lol.

Somebody needs to make a card to run Samsung's LS57CG952... MONITOR @ 7680x2160, 240 Hz and DP 2.1. No?
8K@240Hz ? Even DP 2.1 80Gbps with DSC won't be enough... We'll probably have to wait for DP 3.0 to do that lol.
But 8K@120Hz should be doable with a DP 2.1 80Gbps w/ DSC since it can do 4K@240Hz aka 8K@60Hz without DSC. You'll have to wait for the RTX 5090 and DP 2.1 port though.

You don't use toy hardware for such requirements tho. No one is trying to fine tune the actual large models in their basements, that's why the large H100 deployments are a thing.

3090s are still plently in use (heck, I have 2 myself), and A100s are still widely used 4 years after their launch.

There's no decoupled solution that provides the same bandwidth that soldered memory does, which is of utmost importance for something like LLM, which are really bandwidth-bound.

Mind providing any lead on such kind of offering? Current interconnects are the major bottlenecks in all clustered systems. Just saying "optical interface" doesn't mean much, since the current solutions are ate least one order of magnitude behind our soldered interfaces.

Something like a 5090 would fit in this. It's considered an entry level accelerator for all purposes. The term "gpu-poor" is a good example of that.

For Professionals yeah NVLink is a blessing compared to PCI-Express, but for Gamers even the PCIe 3.0 is not fully saturated yet...so PCIe 6.0 and 7.0 will be more useful for SSDs than GPUs.

Last edited:
My guess vacum cleaner fans from the Geforce GTX 5800, With a 600 to 800 watt peak power. Enough to heat your entire home for the winter.

System Name PC-GX1
Processor i9 10900 non K (stock) TDP 65w
Motherboard asrock b560 steel legend | Realtek ALC897
Cooling cooler master hyper 2x12 LED turbo argb | 5x12cm fan rgb intake | 3x12cm fan rgb exhaust
Memory corsair vengeance LPX 2x32gb ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Gaming Z Trio LHR TDP 370w| 565.90 WHQL | MSI AB v4.65 | RTSS v7.36
Storage NVME 2+2TB gen3| SSD 4TB sata3 | 1+2TB 7200rpm sata3| 4+4+5TB USB3 (optional)
Display(s) AOC U34P2C (IPS panel, 3440x1440 75hz) + speaker 5W*2 | APC BX1100CI MS (660w)
Case lianli lancool 2 mesh RGB windows - white edition | 1x dvd-RW usb 3.0 (optional)
Audio Device(s) Nakamichi soundstation8w 2.1 100W RMS | Simbadda CST 9000N+ 2.1 352W RMS
Power Supply seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold - white edition 2021 | APC BX2200MI MS (1200w)
Mouse steelseries sensei ten | logitech g440
Keyboard steelseries apex 5 | steelseries QCK prism cloth XL | steelseries arctis 5
VR HMD -
Software dvd win 10 home 64bit oem + full update 22H2
Benchmark Scores -
Today, its hard to believe it, that nvidia still want to release rtx 5080 with only 16gb vram, i think its much proper for rtx 5070 with 16gb vram, not for rtx 5080, because rtx 5080 it should be, at least, with 20gb vram.