• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Single-Player Games Lose to PVP in Younger Audiences Despite Recent Hits

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Can someone explain the appeal of CoD to me? I don't mean the first one or second one, I mean the 7435784th one. It seems to me like the same game over and over again. :confused:

For me at least it's playing in a group of 5-6 friends and just shooting the shite while you're shooting shite :laugh:

It's also pretty easy to pick up has a large player base making it easy to find games and isn't hard to be half decent at.

Also Treyarch cod games tend to be quite different than IW developed ones. Sledgehammer developed cods are usually the down years lol but are more similar to IW.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG UltraFine 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S (hosted on a different PC)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.7
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Look, no one can please everyone all the time. If you don’t like CoD, WoW, CS, Fortnite that’s fine. You don’t have to like every single television show or musician or actor either.

You also can just keep your mouth shut or just say “that’s not for me but I’m glad some people have fun with it.” Not that difficult.

That said, most of these gamers have fun playing with their pals. When someone asks “which online multiplayer game should I play?” the best answer is usually “just play whatever your friends are playing.”

Last edited:
Can someone explain the appeal of CoD to me? I don't mean the first one or second one, I mean the 7435784th one. It seems to me like the same game over and over again. :confused:
If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That game will go down as an all time classic.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I'm over 50 and struggling to find any interest in things to play.

For a while, I returned to Diablo III (with the wife), and for years (something like 550 days played) there was WoW - heavily into PvP, and FFXIV - but I've watched what's been happening with the likes of Concord, Suicide Squad, Star Wars Outlaws, Assassins Creed Shadows, along with the language used and alleged abuse being flung around by gaming studios and media at a certain demographic of players- and whether any of it is true or not, it's soured my hobby of gaming and rebuilding my computer every couple of years.

It's a shame, as being older - I have a lot of money to spend on this "hobby".

I've got a PS5 + VR2 with no games, and waiting to fully rebuild my PC - but there seems little point right now.
Space Marine 2 is that good. So is Rogue Trader, Everspace 2, The Ascent, Iron Harvest, Orcs Must Die 3, Destroy All Humans 1 & 2, Grendizer, Grid Autosport, Greedfall and Redout 2 are all Games that you will remember why you started Gaming in the first place. For Simulation Le Mans Ultimate is a dream come true (not quite yet) if you are into Endurance Racing.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
For me at least it's playing in a group of 5-6 friends and just shooting the shite while you're shooting shite :laugh:

It's also pretty easy to pick up has a large player base making it easy to find games and isn't hard to be half decent at.

Also Treyarch cod games tend to be quite different than IW developed ones. Sledgehammer developed cods are usually the down years lol but are more similar to IW.
I still don't get it. Oh well... :ohwell:

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That game will go down as an all time classic.
Yeah, but why release it again and again, and why do people buy it again and again for exorbitant prices?

Look, no one can please everyone all the time. If you don’t like CoD, WoW, CS, Fortnite that’s fine. You don’t have to like every single television show or musician or actor either.

You also can just keep your mouth shut or just say “that’s not for me but I’m glad some people have fun with it.” Not that difficult.

That said, most of these gamers have fun playing with their pals. When someone asks “which online multiplayer game you should I play?” the best answer is usually “just play whatever your friends are playing.”
Hey, there's no need to be aggressive. At least I'm asking questions, trying to understand. It's not my fault if you can't logically explain why you like a game/series.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Yeah, but why release it again and again, and why do people buy it again and again for exorbitant prices?

You see the same thing with sports games year after year which I would argue are less different other than roster changes and the engine upgrade every 4-5 years.....

It's mostly becuase people want to play games with their friends that have large player base is my guess.

Also I know a lot of problems who are only interested in playing with/against real people.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
You see the same thing with sports games year go year which I would argue are less different other than roster changes and the engine upgrade every 4-5 years.....
Yep - I'm not singling out CoD here. There's many other games in the same boat.

It's mostly becuase people want to play game with their friends that have large player base is my guess.
Sure, but those friends could just stick to the game that they already bought last year. There's no need to pay ~50 quid for the same stuff again and again.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Sure, but those friends could just stick to the game that they already bought last year. There's no need to pay ~50 quid for the same stuff again and again.

While true and there is always overlap i mean people still play the originals, a large portion of the player base moves on to the next one likely giving people fomo.

For me it's my buddies buy it so I might as well also if they didn't play it I'd have 0 interest and I never load up solo ever.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
If I can't pause the game (or somehow take a time out) than I have no desire to play the game

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
While true and there is always overlap i mean people still play the originals, a large portion of the player base moves on to the next one likely giving people fomo.

For me it's my buddies buy it so I might as well also if they didn't play it I'd have 0 interest and I never load up solo ever.
Ah, so it's not the game itself, but FOMO combined with some kind of herd/group mentality. Psychology 101. Gotcha. :)

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I still don't get it. Oh well... :ohwell:

Relatively speaking videogames are an inexpensive form of entertainment offering lots of playtime for a relatively small amount. And adjusted for inflation gaming is WAY cheaper today than it was twenty years ago.

The relative value is one reason why videogames are popular in the 16-24 age group.

How much is a round of golf? A movie ticket? A concert ticket?

Remember that many of these online multiplayer players have pivoted in recent years to a free-to-play model making the bar to entry very, very low.

It’s not so much as laying waste to a mob of bratty, foul-mouthed teens but more about goofing off with your buddies while doing so.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
If I can't pause the game (or someone take a time out) than I have no desire to play the game

I hear you man, the last 21 months since my son was born have been tough playing MP games I've mostly stuck with PVE type games to scratch that itch but try to do some mp with buddies once every 2 weeks or so.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Helldivers2
I haven't played it (not interested in MP only games), but based on what I've seen, it's very different from CoD, CS, etc.

Relatively speaking videogames are an inexpensive form of entertainment offering lots of playtime for a relatively small amount. An adjusted for inflation gaming is WAY cheaper today than it was twenty years ago.

The relative value is one reason why videogames are popular in the 16-24 age group.

How much is a round of golf?

Remember that many of these online multiplayer players have pivoted in recent years to a free-to-play model making the bar to entry very, very low.
I agree, but that doesn't explain the appeal of CoD 65346764 or CS 653467 compared to the version before. I mean, when I see videos of people playing CS 2 on dust2, it's the exact same map as it was in CS:GO, which was the same as it was in CS:Source, which was the same as it was in CS 1.6. Why spend money on the same stuff again and again?

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Ah, so it's not the game itself, but FOMO combined with some kind of herd/group mentality. Psychology 101. Gotcha. :)

I mean most people do repetitive stuff with friends... BBQ, watch sports, have drinks, and later in life hopefully watch their kids play sports etc it's really no different. Unless one does not have friends then I guess they wouldn't get it.

We also try almost every MP game not just cod there is a ton of Apex, Destiny, Fortnight, and CS along with the random indie stuff that pops up when you really think about it all MP shooters are basically the same you load in with a group and try to take out the other team or in the case of BRs everyone. We actually spend the majority of time Bsing about our days or what's going on in the world not actually caring much about what happens in the game only taking it mildly serious occasionally.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I mean most people do repetitive stuff with friends... BBQ, watch sports, have drinks, and later in life hopefully watch their kids play sports etc it's really no different. Unless one does not have friends then I guess they wouldn't get it.
Totally, but playing the same old game is fine for that. I used to enjoy the heck out of W40k: DoW with my friends back in the days, and I still would today if they wanted a rematch. I don't need to buy a new game every year to do that.

all MP shooters are basically the same you load in with a group and try to take out the other team or in the case of BRs everyone.
Exactly my point.

We actually spend the majority of time Bsing about our days or what's going on in the world not actually caring much about what happens in the game only taking it mildly serious occasionally.
Fair point. I'd rather do it in the garden, or in the pub with a pint of beer, though. I don't think it's worth spending money on a game if all you do in it is talk about your day with your friends.

Last edited:
Case Apple proprietary
Totally, but playing the same old game is fine for that. I used to enjoy the heck out of W40k: DoW with my friends back in the days, and I still would today if they wanted a rematch. I don't need to buy a new game every year to do that.

Exactly my point.

Fair point. I'd rather do it in the garden, or in the pub with a pint of beer, though. I don't think it's worth spending money on a game if all you do in it is talk about your day with your friends.
I’m pretty sure videogames are cheaper than regularly slamming down pints at your local. :)

I get the appeal of both and some might do both. Others lean one way or another.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.

It probably comes down to how much one values 60-70 bucks.... A couple hours of work to play a game for 6-8 months with my buddies isn't a large investment 1-2 times a year assuming we get multiple new MP games that year ofc. I can't even go out to eat with my wife for that and going to the movies cost about half that or more these days so it's pretty insignificant. I would imagine a lot of people only buy cod and that is it or whatever their MP or sports game of choice is every year.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
If I can't pause the game (or somehow take a time out) than I have no desire to play the game
This.

For me gaming is to switch off from the world, its me time, I am not interacting with other humans, I am not playing to someone else's schedule or pace.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
This.

For me gaming is to switch off from the world, its me time, I am not interacting with other humans, I am not playing to someone else's schedule or pace.

I love that style of gaming just as much so people can do both.

When all your presented with is shallow co-op, or single player or playing against a hacker infestation it's pretty obvious what most will pick.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I’m pretty sure videogames are cheaper than regularly slamming down pints at your local. :)

I get the appeal of both and some might do both. Others lean one way or another.
We rarely go to the local, to be fair. It's much better to have a pint at my house or theirs. Cheaper and quieter. But I get what you mean.

It probably comes down to how much one values 60-70 bucks.... A couple hours of work to play a game for 6-8 months with my buddies isn't a large investment 1-2 times a year assuming we get multiple new MP games that year ofc. I can't even go out to eat with my wife for that and going to the movies cost about half that or more these days so it's pretty insignificant. I would imagine a lot of people only buy cod and that is it or whatever their MP or sports game of choice is every year.
I value 60-70 bucks enough not to spend it on the same game over and over again. Going out for a dinner is at least something special. You can try different meals, not to mention being there with your loved ones physically. But yeah, each to their own.

My impression is still that one only buys CoD or CS because of FOMO and peer pressure, although I don't know what one's missing out on. Dust2 is the same now as it was in CS: Source or 1.6.

System Name Gamey #1 / #3
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / MSi B450 sumpin'
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / IDCool SE-224-XTS
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 16GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) PColor 6800 XT / PNY RTX 4060 Ti
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 2TB WD SN580
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / TT Versa H18
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / EVGA BQ 500
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
Co-op requires friends who play so that's out. That's a me thing to be clear.
PVP is fun even when I suck at it but Fortnite is fun every time I play, I just don't choose to very often.
I may have logged in more total time in Single Player games than any other genre and as some have said: Pause is a golden feature.
But I keep coming back to PVE, where I have the most time in individual games. Minecraft, Arks, others. The mix of challenge and chill in early to mid game for these is unmatched.

System Name Planet Espresso
Processor 13700KF @ 5.4GHZ UV - 220W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
PVP is great if you have the time to commit without interruptions to actually play.

That goes away in a big way as you start a family so alot of younger dads doing single player games here and there.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
PVP is great if you have the time to commit without interruptions to actually play.

That goes away in a big way as you start a family so alot of younger dads doing single player games here and there.

Yeah my gaming hours have went from a 10-15 per week to 3-5 per week takes me ages to finish anything these days. Although I feel the opposite that somthing like FF16 is a much bigger commitment than a couple rounds of CoD, Fortnight, Apex etc.

My impression is still that one only buys CoD or CS because of FOMO and peer pressure, although I don't know what one's missing out on. Dust2 is the same now as it was in CS: Source or 1.6.

You'd actually have to play them to know but Vanguard, Black ops CW, and MW 2/3 are all different enough with completely different settings to justify a purchase if you have a group of friends to play them.

Now if they are good or bad games is completely subjective.

Fortnight an Apex technically cost nothing I haven't spent money on either in years.

I still understand your point of view I feel most indie games are a waste of money and time and most SP stuff these days regardless of how much alike or different they are pretty crappy.