• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Image Leaks of Intel Core Ultra 9 285K Confirm Chiplet-based Design Similar to Meteor Lake

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Some of the first images of a de-lidded Intel Core Ultra 9 285K "Arrow Lake-S" processor surfaced on the web, confirming a disaggregated chiplet-based processor design. Intel pivoted to chiplet based processors with its Core Ultra "Meteor Lake," allowing it to build specific IP blocks of the processor on different foundry nodes, ensuring the ones that don't need the most advanced nodes can make do with slightly older ones, thereby maximizing Intel's yields for that advanced node. The die shot reveals a similar level of disaggregation to "Meteor Lake" than that of the more recent Core Ultra 200V "Lunar Lake" mobile processor.

With "Lunar Lake," Intel had re-aggregated a few things. "Lunar Lake" only has two tiles—SoC tile and I/O tile. The 3 nm SoC tile contains the CPU complex, a large iGPU, and a large 40 TOPS-class NPU, all sharing die-space with the memory controllers, and PCIe root complex. The smaller 6 nm I/O tile contains the PHYs of the various I/O interfaces. The "Arrow Lake" chip appears to have a similar degree of disaggregation as "Meteor Lake." We can spot at least five tiles sitting on top of the Foveros base tile. The picture has no annotation for the various tiles, but recent reports by Moore's Law is Dead and Jay Kihn shed some light on what these could be.

The MLID report says that there will be a Compute tile containing the CPU cores, an SoC tile, a Graphics tile, a breakout I/O tile, and some dummy tiles that provide structural reinforcement, giving the chip a rectangular form. The Jay Kihn leak points to the Compute tile containing the P-cores and E-core clusters arranged in a conventional ring-bus, sharing an L3 cache, similar to how things are in the Compute tile of "Meteor Lake." This tile contains eight "Lion Cove" P-cores, each with 3 MB of dedicated L2 cache (we know this from the Lunar Lake technical deep-dive), and four "Skymont" E-core clusters, each with 4 MB of shared L2 cache. All CPU cores share a 36 MB L3 cache.

The Compute tile talks to the SoC tile, which contains the DDR5 memory controllers, the PCIe Gen 5 root-complex, security processor, the display controller, and the media acceleration engine. There's also an "AI complex," which could very well be an NPU. It remains to be seen if this is the larger NPU 4 carried over from "Lunar Lake," which meets Microsoft Copilot+ requirements. The SoC tile puts out some I/O, such as the DDR5 memory, and a portion of the PCIe, but relies on a breakout I/O tile to put out more PCIe connectivity, and integrated Thunderbolt.

Lastly, there's the Graphics tile, which contains the iGPU, mainly the Xe cores and all the hardware the iGPU needs in the graphics rendering pipeline, including an L3 cache of its own. The display controllers and media accelerators are located in the SoC tile, and the display I/O is located in the breakout I/O tile. Looking at the size of the Graphics tile, if we were to guess, the desktop version of "Arrow Lake" likely won't have a very large iGPU, it may only have up to two Xe cores. In contrast, "Lunar Lake" has a large iGPU with 8 Xe cores, because the idea behind "Lunar Lake" is thin-and-light notebooks without discrete graphics.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
100% pure TSMC*

(*packaged by IFS)
++++ base tile made by Intel (22nm)
++++++++ designed by Intel
+++++++++++ the value of the brand called "Intel"

(Although, going by this list, Intel would do better if they licensed and used the BMW or Coca-cola brand name. Or even TSMC.)

System Name A COLD ONE
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5ghz soon to be R7 3800X
Motherboard Asrock Z170 extreme 6 soon to be MSI X570 Pro Carbon Wifi
Cooling Full custom WC loop/ EK blocks & pumps / 300mm res / Hard lined / linked to external 560 x 80 rad.
Memory 16gb of 2400mhz ddr4 soon to be 32gb of 3600mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 EKWB Seahawk. soon to be RTX2070 super/RTX2080/Radeon XT series..........PRICE
Storage 1 x Samsung 500gb 970 Evo NVME/ 2 x 500gb Samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp Curved 3440x1440
Case Heavily Modified Silverstone Fortress FT02
Audio Device(s) Asus Sound card
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Corsair M95
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 64bit home
Glued together

Reactions: N/A