• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

disable "update virus protection" prompt w10

my 2 windows work pc are offline and will always stay offline. they dont need updates or virus protection.

there is a little window that comes in from the right bottom of the screen with the prompt update virus protection

could be cause I tinkered in group policies way back when

any way to disable virus protection completely through regedit or group policies? its simply not needed. these are pc for projects in editing. nothing else.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
(Disclaimer: I don't have a Windows at hand, the following is mostly from memory)

You can, iirc, disable notifications from the GUI via Windows Security Center (or whatever it's called). You can disable the real-time protection itself from there too.
If you want to gpo it, there are policies for that.

Insert an obligatory "just because you aren't connecting to the internet doesn't mean you won't get infected" here.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a Windows at hand, the following is mostly from memory)

You can, iirc, disable notifications from the GUI via Windows Security Center (or whatever it's called). You can disable the real-time protection itself from there too.
If you want to gpo it, there are policies for that.

Insert an obligatory "just because you aren't connecting to the internet doesn't mean you won't get infected" here.
thanks for the assist. how it can get infected when only my pictures from my dslr go in and out, is beyond me, but if im asking for help on group policy, I dont know it all thats for sure.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
Uninstall the Win Defender if wanted, it works even better than turn it off everywhere which takes at least 10-15 min !:

LOG of deleted stuff:

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Don't take this as an insult but honest feedback, given your general skill level I highly advise you do not do this. Leave the anti-virus on.

The mere fact that you have to ask states you should leave it well alone.

Uninstall the Win Defender if wanted, it works even better than turn it off everywhere which takes at least 10-15 min !:

LOG of deleted stuff:
thanks ill do that. I really dont care for 70% of the nonsense in windows they force on you anyway. one thing I hate with newer software is constant nannying and constantly wanting me to engage with things. its just so annoying

Don't take this as an insult but honest feedback, given your general skill level I highly advise you do not do this. Leave the anti-virus on.

I didnt ask if I should. it needs to be removed. I was editing so many things in GP as is. you assume too much that just cause I dont know how to remove a prompt I dont know anything. are you a pro ms rep? and fear mongering doesnt work with me. I actually get amped up to do the opposite.

windows is trash with lots of garbage that needs to be cleaned out. I installed my 1709 with ntlite. dont know why I didnt remove it. I should have. will make a new more thorough iso and keep it very slim and install it on both pc.

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
thanks ill do that. I really dont care for 70% of the nonsense in windows they force on you anyway. one thing I hate with newer software is constant nannying and constantly wanting me to engage with things. its just so annoying

I didnt ask if I should. it needs to be removed. I was editing so many things in GP as is. you assume too much that just cause I dont know how to remove a prompt I dont know anything. are you a pro ms rep? and fear mongering doesnt work with me. I actually get amped up to do the opposite.

windows is trash with lots of garbage that needs to be cleaned out. I installed my 1709 with ntlite. dont know why I didnt remove it. I should have. will make a new more thorough iso and keep it very slim and install it on both pc.

Afterall if the PC's offline, you can install/use an antivirus that only triggers on external plugged drives.

If WD was not annoyingly acting, yes, but it's just boring.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
thanks for the assist. how it can get infected when only my pictures from my dslr go in and out, is beyond me, but if im asking for help on group policy, I dont know it all thats for sure.
While cutting yourself off the internet implicitly protects you from the majority of malware, it doesn't protect you from all of them. Malware that spread via removable storage existed before the internet went mainstream, and are still a thing. Granted, many of them are more of a nuisance than a threat (the ones I know of are trojans that hide data in the drive and replacing them with a "shortcut" that facilitate infection), but it's still an infection. I've seen dozens of those on computers that have never even synced with an NTP server...

If you can practice machine-like discipline to sanitize everything you plug into those machines, then sure, your chances of infection are virtually zero. But we're humans. Most security measures are there to protect us from ourselves first.

I'm not trying to outright dissuade you here. Just don't go in with a false sense of security.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Yeah, some state level hackers did in the (completely offline, airgapped) Iranian Nuclear program by sending infected USB drives to their centrifuges computer centers, which they plugged in without a second thought (lookup "stuxnet" for the complete story).

It's a real thing, if not as common if you aren't running a home nuclear program. Still data sanitation practices are not a bad thing to learn.

While cutting yourself off the internet implicitly protects you from the majority of malware, it doesn't protect you from all of them. Malware that spread via removable storage existed before the internet went mainstream, and are still a thing. Granted, many of them are more of a nuisance than a threat (the ones I know of are trojans that hide data in the drive and replacing them with a "shortcut" that facilitate infection), but it's still an infection. I've seen dozens of those on computers that have never even synced with an NTP server...

If you can practice machine-like discipline to sanitize everything you plug into those machines, then sure, your chances of infection are virtually zero. But we're humans. Most security measures are there to protect us from ourselves first.

I'm not trying to outright dissuade you here. Just don't go in with a false sense of security.
im fine thanks.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
G

gasolin/gasolina come to mind, this crap is so easy to find on the world wide web.