• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD and Oculus Shatter VR Barriers With $499 CyberPowerPC VR Ready System

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Raawwrrr "Shattered!!!" Bacrasshhh pazaowiie, explossiiiooonnn!!!.. Can we make more fantastical headlines? lol. it's just VR...

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
Yep, that just not going to give a good experience at all considering you have two screens to render to, and need to hit a certain FPS to at least not get bad case of motion sickness.

Myself, I'm doing the waiting game on VR. If it stays and matures to a point where games take advantage of the tech and deliver good game play. I be interested by then in giving VR another try. Otherwise, I could care less if it takes off or not.

On the other hand, I'm far more interested in Microsoft's Hololens. Especially in use with programs that 3D model or other creative work.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
This thing is gonna drop frames like they are going out of fashion.

System Name Kablamo
Processor Some Intel i5
Motherboard some gigabyte board
Cooling h80i
Memory samsung sticks that got a good review a few years back
Video Card(s) 6950 acting like a 6970
Storage some solid state ocz drives
Display(s) Samsung T260HD (1920 x 1200)
Case bitfenix microatx case
Audio Device(s) hyperx cloud II
Power Supply corsair 750 or similar
Mouse M65
Keyboard g510
Software win 10
VR is the same nonsense as 3D garbage with LCD TV's.....

Said the same about two years ago and was highly amused by the backlash of folks who didn't understand the comparison I was making. You've put it nicely.

People don't like putting stuff on their faces (3d glasses for example) and I think that killed 3D functionality on TVs.

That problem is multiplied for VR headsets. It's a nice idea, but it won't work out in reality for most people. Factor in that you need a huge amount of space and it's a non runner for most folks.

Oh and who can really take the time to immerse themselves in a game for hours on end? I spend most of my gaming time with one ear listening for my kids waking up, phone calls, doorbells etc.

I think some here way to focused on the AMD hardware part of article, and not enough homework in what Oculus Rift new Asynchronous Spacewarp technology is doing for Oculus headset.

"Oculus didn’t have a defined minimum hardware specification when it launched the Rift. The company listed recommended hardware specifications on its website, and those were widely accepted as the minimum requirements. Thanks to Asynchronous Spacewarp, Oculus now certifies that much more affordable hardware will deliver the performance necessary for virtual reality with the Rift." -Toms
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asynchronous-spacewarp-lowers-min-spec-vr,32826.html

This write up from btarunr honestly didn't place the emphases on why this level of hardware is now achieving providing Oculus Rift minimum (entry) blessing. If this can offer good experience (not make you nauseated) for a game they sponcer like EVE Valkyrie, I say it fine if they are move the bar down / not higher.

More articles:
https://www.vrfocus.com/2016/10/ocu...our-experience-will-be-with-a-smart-shortcut/
http://techreport.com/news/30766/asynchronous-spacewarp-lets-cheaper-pcs-drive-oculus-rifts

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Said the same about two years ago and was highly amused by the backlash of folks who didn't understand the comparison I was making. You've put it nicely.

People don't like putting stuff on their faces (3d glasses for example) and I think that killed 3D functionality on TVs.

That problem is multiplied for VR headsets. It's a nice idea, but it won't work out in reality for most people. Factor in that you need a huge amount of space and it's a non runner for most folks.

Oh and who can really take the time to immerse themselves in a game for hours on end? I spend most of my gaming time with one ear listening for my kids waking up, phone calls, doorbells etc.

I agree. Except about your last sentence. Immersion is all about a time investment, this is true, but people can do that.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X h2o
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop
Memory 48GB Kingston DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC h2o
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
I find that funny that the Intel stock cooler has a black sticker over the Intel logo :D

I spend most of my gaming time with one ear listening for my kids waking up, phone calls, doorbells etc.
Same here, though I got used to it when I lived together with my ex-girlfriend, and it's been almost 2½ years since we broke up :D I use fully my headphones about only at nighttime, though that's my favourite time to cook some food, so still I usually go with just one ear on headphones..

The screenshot is with a MUCH more powerful processor. So we really don't know what the actual performance in VR of this machine is. There is a CPU bound counter in that benchmark for a very good reason. VR is very CPU dependent and the FX-4350 is just about the worst processor you can pick for gaming and VR.

The phone games that did VR were extremely crappy. The graphics were trash. People expect better on the PC, it's just a fact. If I wanted to play a bunch of pop-cap games in VR, sure I guess this computer would do. But that isn't what PC gamers want.

And it is true that VR can actually run on some mid-range hardware, and it can do that because most games dynamically adjust the visual quality to keep a target framerate. But this system is like they just put together the absolute bare minimum to run VR just so they could stick "VR Ready" on it, and in reality this likely isn't going to give a good VR experience.
people expect better? on what? super hot would be really cool in VR, its graphics arent some realistic open world

not every game has AAA level graphics & not every VR game will have or need AAA level graphics, this has nothing to do with the casual trash you're implying & we cannot ignore how playstation VR will deal with the lack of performance leap

so how is it the bare minimum if, for example, that screenshot of the vive test (how cpu dependent can VR be?) is a few pixels next to ready at the top of capable, it's not at the bottom of capable, it's not going to be LOW settings at 30fps either, it's not horribly slower than a 970, oculus's VR ready gpu

Nice system, but it would be a shame if you need do purchase something first, that even costs more than the pc.