• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RYZEN Demo Event - Beats $1,100 8-Core i7-6900K, With Lower TDP

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I do and he is totally correct. A clear hint there from LS about Ryzen being cheaper. Now, why don't you wait a few weeks to see who's correct about it?

So a "hint" in a marketing presentation translates to a guarantee... got it.

You might understand how companies work, but you certainly don't understand how financially successful companies work: they produce the best product, then charge as much money for it as consumers are willing to pay. It's called "capitalism". (Your evident bias towards AMD, a company that is the exact opposite of financially successful, explains why you don't understand this.)

And to anyone who doesn't like Intel being challenged from AMD and being pessimistic without reason after this Ryzen demo, I have to say one word. Fanboyism...

The only one who has claimed that people don't like Intel being challenged is... you.
The only one who has accused others of being fanboys is... you.

Perhaps you should look in a mirror once in a while, or take a course on basic logical reasoning. Because there's absolutely nothing fanboy-ish about being skeptical of a company's claims if that company has consistently lied about similar claims in the past (Bulldozer anyone?). On the other hand, refusing to scrutinise those claims is exactly the type of behaviour I'd expect from an actual fanboy.

Pot, kettle, black.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
We haven't been stuck, there's just no demand. What "mainstream" application uses 16 threads? WinRAR?

Depends on your definition for "mainstream". Since simple users have started the exodus do those droid and iOS toys, the PC landscape hasn't been the same as it was back when running a flash application was the most demanding task for the average user.

There's also the view that sees utility being driven by availability. PCIe wasn't meant for [direct] storage, yet when the storage industry reached the point of needing high bandwidths, PCIe was there for it. Same goes for many if not most of the GPUs' Unified Shader architectures uses these days.

Q1, There is a * at the title bar of the blender window on the Intel system, which means the file was edited without saving. What's changed?

Q2,
Why can't we see the taskbar of the Intel system, what's there? (as the camera pans over the table, it seems that more apps are running on the AMD rig).

Last edited:
System Name YautjaLord
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x @ 3700MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme rev. 1.1
Cooling EK-XE360mm front/SE360mm top/3xVardar 120mm top/3xbe quiet! Light Wings 120mm High Speed PWM/etc....
Memory HyperX Predator 4x8GB 4000MHz @ 4000MHz
Video Card(s) 1xGigabyte RTX 3080 Master 10GB rev. 3.0 (watercooled)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (system)/Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe (system) |Samsung T7 Shield 1TB USB Type-C
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B 4k IPS 1ms 144Hz HDR
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 Black/Orange
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Mouse Dragonwar ELE-G4.1 laser gaming mouse 9500dpi
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro Low Profile
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2
Q1, There is a * at the title bar of the blender window on the Intel system, which means the file was edited without saving. What's changed?

Q2,
Why can't we see the taskbar of the Intel system, what's there? (as the camera pans over the table, it seems that more apps are running on the AMD rig).

That. Have to watch that stream again, but i have the same question, you basically ninja-posted me? lol

Wait for TPU or any other tech site to benchmark this beast vs all the best Intel offerings, that's the best solution, God that's irritating. :laugh:

Or for CES 2017.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
And to anyone who doesn't like Intel being challenged from AMD and being pessimistic without reason after this Ryzen demo, I have to say one word. Fanboyism...
Everyone wants AMD to challenge Intel, at least in theory. In reality they also want AMD products to lose in direct comparisons. They want AMD to offer products that will lower the prices of Intel(and Nvidia) products, but at the same time to be INFERIOR IN EVERYTHING compared to those products. Performance, features, efficiency, overclocking, so they can continue feeling they are part of a higher society that uses superior brands compare to those used by regular... peasants. They want those products to be only good when looking at performance per dollar and only in the beginning. They are dreaming that then, Intel(and Nvidia) will come with their hammers and drop them on AMD's head in the form of nice price cuts, making AMD to lose that advantage also. Ironic and hypocritical at the same time. The worst part here? I am not sure I am exaggerating. So, nothing strange if some people will find plenty of faults on RYZEN.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Everyone wants AMD to challenge Intel, at least in theory. In reality they also want AMD products to lose in direct comparisons. They want AMD to offer products that will lower the prices of Intel(and Nvidia) products, but at the same time to be INFERIOR IN EVERYTHING compared to those products. Performance, features, efficiency, overclocking, so they can continue feeling they are part of a higher society that uses superior brands compare to those used by regular... peasants. They want those products to be only good when looking at performance per dollar and only in the beginning. They are dreaming that then, Intel(and Nvidia) will come with their hammers and drop them on AMD's head in the form of nice price cuts, making AMD to lose that advantage also. Ironic and hypocritical at the same time. The worst part here? I am not sure I am exaggerating. So, nothing strange if some people will find plenty of faults on RYZEN.
That (what you just wrote) is just fanboyism in a different form. Not even Bulldozer or P4 were "INFERIOR IN EVERYTHING", so why would anyone expect this from either camp? What happens is marketing presentations are inherently one-sided and whoever doesn't wear horse-goggles, is taking them with a pinch of salt. Maybe too much salt in cases.

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
That (what you just wrote) is just fanboyism in a different form. Not even Bulldozer or P4 were "INFERIOR IN EVERYTHING", so why would anyone expect this from either camp? What happens is marketing presentations are inherently one-sided and whoever doesn't wear horse-goggles, is taking them with a pinch of salt. Maybe too much salt in cases.
I was very specific. Direct comparisons with products in the same category and what some people WANT, not what it really is. For example, you will find plenty of people saying that a i3 is superior to an 8 core FX. Nothing more.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I was very specific. Direct comparisons with products in the same category and what some people WANT, not what it really is. For example, you will find plenty of people saying that a i3 is superior to an 8 core FX. Nothing more.

Depending on what they mean, those people can be right or wrong. They're right if they're talking about single-thread performance and wrong if they need to do heavily multi-threaded work. Just stating the obvious.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux

You might understand how companies work, but you certainly don't understand how financially successful companies work: they produce the best product, then charge as much money for it as consumers are willing to pay. It's called "capitalism". (Your evident bias towards AMD, a company that is the exact opposite of financially successful, explains why you don't understand this.)

The only one who has claimed that people don't like Intel being challenged is... you.

Perhaps you should look in a mirror once in a while, or take a course on basic logical reasoning. Because there's absolutely nothing fanboy-ish about being skeptical of a company's claims if that company has consistently lied about similar claims in the past (Bulldozer anyone?). On the other hand, refusing to scrutinise those claims is exactly the type of behaviour I'd expect from an actual fanboy.

Pot, kettle, black.
You question the knowledge of an unknown person on economics and you pretend you know better? Who is showing immaturity now? And who is constant in being (or petending to be) ignorant of clear truths just to poke AMD? AMD CEO clearly put the i7 6900K price into perspective to show that Ryzen will be cheaper even being as fast as the Intel CPU. If that's difficult to get it, it is your empathy towards AMD, not us being irrelevant to economics and capitalism...

As for me, I just buy the best b4b for decades now and don't allow any marketing or prestige bs to milk from me...

Insults directly sent back in your face :slap: as you took personally a general opinion I posted about some of the people in forums that enjoy bashing on AMD no matter how and what they do. And I always like small companies to challenge big ones and providing us more value for our hardly earned money. ;)

Don't bother to keep replying, as I won't spend any time more for you.

Processor I7-6700
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling 2*120mm
Memory G.Skill D416GB 3200-14 Trident Z K2 GSK
Video Card(s) Rx480 Sapphire
Storage SSD Samsung 256GB 850 pro + bunch of TB
Case Antec
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply be quit 900W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G11

Pot, kettle, black.

It is clear to everyone that ZEN will be at the very least a somewhat decent product that will bring AMD in direct competition.

Everyone is free to speculate on the details and discuss with each other about those ideas, which is why we have this nice tech-savvy forum platform.

Not to insult.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I am not sure I am exaggerating. So, nothing strange if some people will find plenty of faults on RYZEN.

Well, at least at some level you're aware that what you just said has no shred of rationality or proof.
I agree with Assimilator on one part: There's too much circular reasoning going around here.
Fanboys exist on both camps, yet many consumers belong to neither. Just because someone criticizes a product of one doesn't necessarily paint them the other's colours.

I remembrer a few years back, right after the Athlon X2 came out, that AMD signed a massive deal with a software firm that was supposed to provide CPU architecture design and replace hundred of engineers in the process. the whole thing ended up being a flop and the whole thing was swept under the rug by the board of directors. It's a classic effect of a company being run by "admin-type" people that don't understand the underling technology enabling their core product.

Anybody else remember that episode or am I the only one ?

I guess ZEN is the first man-made cpu design since they got stuck with the robot-designed cpu cores fiasco a while back. I'm glad they are coming back but I'll wait for reviews and some general feedback before I approve of it. Also, I think that AMD will help the same of their new hardware platform by giving away lots of free games like they have been doing for a while. That's something Intel will have a harder time to match.

Edit: Benchmark, benchmark, benchmark ... In the end, that's mainly what we are waiting for.

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) onboard
Well, at least at some level you're aware that what you just said has no shred of rationality or proof.
Nice cut and paste and a happy conclusion.

System Name YautjaLord
Cooling EK-XE360mm front/SE360mm top/3xVardar 120mm top/3xbe quiet! Light Wings 120mm High Speed PWM/etc....
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (system)/Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe (system) |Samsung T7 Shield 1TB USB Type-C
Checked the CES website, Samsung (i think), NVidia, were among the attendees, haven't seen AMD, hell even typed "AMD @ CES 2017" in Google - nothing that shows even were they'll gonna located in that expo. lol Two n a half weeks, or even more left til that expo goes live. ASUS, MSI, etc... show nothing on their homepages that reads AM4/X370 either. I need every info bout these!!!!! I gonna finish both original Carma & Splat Pack b4 this event happens, ffs! :laugh:

Checked the CES website, Samsung (i think), NVidia, were among the attendees, haven't seen AMD, hell even typed "AMD @ CES 2017" in Google - nothing that shows even were they'll gonna located in that expo. lol Two n a half weeks, or even more left til that expo goes live. ASUS, MSI, etc... show nothing on their homepages that reads AM4/X370 either. I need every info bout these!!!!! I gonna finish both original Carma & Splat Pack b4 this event happens, ffs! :laugh:

Here you go

Advanced Micro Devices
Booth Locations:
Venetian, Lvl 3 - San Polo 3402,
Venetian, Lvl 3 - San Polo 3403
Venetian, Lvl 3 - San Polo 3404

Advanced Micro Devices
Booth Locations:
Venetian Tower - Suite 30-316,
Palazzo Tower,
Hospitality - Venetian Palazzo Hospitality Suites

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
All I am interested in at this point, is how well it will overclock.

Depending on the final single threaded perf I'm ugraded either which way, but AMD will definitely be cheaper and insta-buy if it easily clocks 4+ Ghz.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

Depending on the final single threaded perf I'm ugraded either which way, but AMD will definitely be cheaper and insta-buy if it easily clocks 4.5+ Ghz.
Fixed that for you... :)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
System Name YautjaLord
Here you go

Advanced Micro Devices
Booth Locations:
Venetian, Lvl 3 - San Polo 3402,
Venetian, Lvl 3 - San Polo 3403
Venetian, Lvl 3 - San Polo 3404

Advanced Micro Devices
Booth Locations:
Venetian Tower - Suite 30-316,
Palazzo Tower,
Hospitality - Venetian Palazzo Hospitality Suites

CES website is a forest, thanx for info. :) But it's not like i'm goin to attend it. lol Hope they'll (CES) stream it live, how's their Android app works on - say - Galaxy J5? Had Twitch.tv app on this thing, worked like sh!t.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Gotcha, but even at 4 I would consider it because of the additional cores at similar price point.
For overclocking purposes, it better hit 4.5ghz+. I'm talking about pushing these things. Not daily driving on an overclock.

Forgot I was at TPU amd not my homesite. Expectations are different.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

Depending on the final single threaded perf I'm ugraded either which way, but AMD will definitely be cheaper and insta-buy if it easily clocks 4+ Ghz.
How could have your overclock set in stone when you don't know Zen's IPC?

System Name YautjaLord
For overclocking purposes, it better hit 4.5ghz+. I'm talking about pushing these things. Not daily driving on an overclock.

Forgot I was at TPU amd not my homesite. Expectations are different.

4.5GHz can be daily, 24/7 OC, but yeah i'm with you on that one. 4.0 or even 4.2GHz can be this thing's Turbo/XFR*(?) clock (depending on cooling solution), make this beast go higher; i intent on testing 4.0GHz with Prime95 raping it for 1 hour, 4.5GHz raped with Prime95 for 4 - FOUR - hours!!!!! lol After benchmarks here surface & once i have the LCS (EKWB custom liquid loop) along with the rest of planned components, ofc.

*eXtended Frequency Range, type of Turbo Core? Or is it Precision Boost? Both sound more or less the same to me.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
For those who are wondering about IPC judging from the multi threaded tests, the only way possible that Ryzen's IPC is much worse than Broadwell E, is if SMT is much better than HyperThreading ... 8c16t broadwell e has tons of cache and HT is rather mature/refined after all these years, so the IPC should be competitive.
About OC potential, 3.4 GHz base clock is nothing to sneeze at for a 8c16t part ... and with total power consumption lowered, the only real question that remains: Will the chip be as resistant (to electromigration) as intel's at temps over 80C?

Last edited:

Eknex

Do you think that the price of socket 2011-3 will decrease with the output of AMD Zen?