• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Rumored To Release Budget Xbox Series S Console

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max
Cooling Corsair H100x
Memory 64GB Corsair CMT64GX4M2C3600C18 @ 3600MHz / 18-19-19-39-1T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
You do know 4k requires roughly 4x the GPU power vs 1080p and 1440(at 30 fps) is within the 3x less power (4/12) that differentiates them.

By keeping the exact same everything else (with reduced memory again because that'd directly tied to resolution) they can offer. Slower cost lower resolution version without compromising the experience of series x owners.

I understand that. However, 4K TVs have become very prevalent (I've seen as low as $300 where I am) and for a console which will probably be in the market for 7 to 8 years, it should still be able to drive 4K at least as well as the Scorpio (One X) currently does. Scaling back performance to only support 1080/1440p seems short sighted. Though, as others have pointed out, 4TF of RDNA2 may perform as well or better than the 6TF on hand in the Scorpio.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I understand that. However, 4K TVs have become very prevalent (I've seen as low as $300 where I am) and for a console which will probably be in the market for 7 to 8 years, it should still be able to drive 4K at least as well as the Scorpio (One X) currently does. Scaling back performance to only support 1080/1440p seems short sighted. Though, as others have pointed out, 4TF of RDNA2 may perform as well or better than the 6TF on hand in the Scorpio.
I would assume it would support 4k output but render games at a maximum resolution of 1080p or 1440p, with upscaling to make up the difference. For a huge swathe of the public - such as the millions buying consoles to play the most recent Fifa or Madden - this would likely be entirely sufficient for their wants and needs. I would also assume it to play any Xbox One title at settings, resolutions and framerates matching the XOX.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Switch Lite showed that there's a market for cheaper versions of consoles. not everyone has a 4k tv and someone who can't afford a 4k tv, would likely prefer a cheaper console.
Microsoft has definitely done some market research before deciding this

Cpu will be the same.

CPU portion will be the same, but it's all the same chip. GPU portion of the overall APU will either be smaller (cost savings from smaller dies, which means more per wafer) or harvested (meaning that they are the same physical chip as the Series X, but defective in several regions which are then deactivated physically with laser cuts). The latter has cost savings from reusing chips that would have been thrown away, so as long as the defective chips meet demand they are essentially free. If not, they would likely have to start cutting perfectly good Series X chips to meet the lower price point.

My bet is in the beginning it will be harvested defective Series X dies, and once the 7 nm fab defect rate drops, they'll have a custom chip to go along with a fab shrink. Best of both worlds and in the beginning you're just managing one chip run.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
CPU portion will be the same, but it's all the same chip. GPU portion of the overall APU will either be smaller (cost savings from smaller dies, which means more per wafer) or harvested (meaning that they are the same physical chip as the Series X, but defective in several regions which are then deactivated physically with laser cuts). The latter has cost savings from reusing chips that would have been thrown away, so as long as the defective chips meet demand they are essentially free. If not, they would likely have to start cutting perfectly good Series X chips to meet the lower price point.

My bet is in the beginning it will be harvested defective Series X dies, and once the 7 nm fab defect rate drops, they'll have a custom chip to go along with a fab shrink. Best of both worlds and in the beginning you're just managing one chip run.
Given that TSMC 7nm is now a mature node and the XSX die has four CUs spare and is a relatively reasonable die size (bigger, but still comparable to a Navi 10), I see no reason to expect there to be any noticeable defect rate for those chips - at least not ones that can be harvested. Given what consumes the most die area it's reasonable to expect most errors to happen in the GPU, where there can then be up to four errors per die, all in different CUs (highly unlikely) before the chip fails to pass muster. If there's a flaw in the CPU or something else that's shared, they can't harvest it anyhow.

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
CPU being the same does not mean the SoC is the same, and it's highly unlikely that there will be enough defective XSX dice to support this being based on cut down chips. If this is real it's likely a second die design with the same CPU but less GPU CUs and RAM channels.
Cpu is the same and gpu is different. I never said anything about the Soc, we already know it's different.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Cpu is the same and gpu is different. I never said anything about the Soc, we already know it's different.
I didn't say that you said that, I just pointed out that the CPU being the same is a relatively small factor in the overall SoC design, and that other factors point in the direction of a separate die.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Given that TSMC 7nm is now a mature node and the XSX die has four CUs spare and is a relatively reasonable die size (bigger, but still comparable to a Navi 10), I see no reason to expect there to be any noticeable defect rate for those chips - at least not ones that can be harvested. Given what consumes the most die area it's reasonable to expect most errors to happen in the GPU, where there can then be up to four errors per die, all in different CUs (highly unlikely) before the chip fails to pass muster. If there's a flaw in the CPU or something else that's shared, they can't harvest it anyhow.

Just because it's a mature node doesn't mean there isn't defect rates. It means that the defect rates are acceptable and making the chips is reliably profitable. That could mean that the wafer cost goes down or the defect rate goes down, but it can never be zero defects, especially at the edge of the wafer. Nvidia and AMD harvest defective dies for their lower end GPUs all the time, and Nvidia especially is on a very mature node at this point and still has the cost structure set up to make few different chips with cut resources. Intel has defective chips on 14 nm after all this time on it. Still, we don't have any information at this point about whether the Series S chips will be new or harvested, but my bet is in the beginning they will be harvested so Microsoft can reuse some of those very large APUs that have just a few defects in the GPU portion.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just because it's a mature node doesn't mean there isn't defect rates. It means that the defect rates are acceptable and making the chips is reliably profitable. That could mean that the wafer cost goes down or the defect rate goes down, but it can never be zero defects, especially at the edge of the wafer. Nvidia and AMD harvest defective dies for their lower end GPUs all the time, and Nvidia especially is on a very mature node at this point and still has the cost structure set up to make few different chips with cut resources. Intel has defective chips on 14 nm after all this time on it. Still, we don't have any information at this point about whether the Series S chips will be new or harvested, but my bet is in the beginning they will be harvested so Microsoft can reuse some of those very large APUs that have just a few defects in the GPU portion.
Seriously, did you even read the post you quoted? Did I ever say that there were no errors on TSMC 7nm? Not even close. I said that it is a mature node, which implies a low but obviously not nonexistent error rate (no node has ever been free of errors). I also said that the GPU part of the SoC has four CUs more than necessary to allow for up to four distributed defects per die without needing to discard it (as long as they are all in the GPU, which isn't unlikely given that it occupies the vast majority of the die). Four is more than zero, right? What I said was that with currently publicized error rates for TSMC 7nm (which IIRC were quoted here earlier; you can easily plug them into a wafer yield calculator if you want) the chances of a single die having more than four errors on a single die are essentially zero - especially considering that if even one of those errors is in a part with no redundancy (such as the CPU cores or I/O) the die wouldn't be harvestable for a lower end console anyhow.