• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AsRock Teases NFT Motherboard - The Z690 PG Riptide NFT Edition

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
The issue is that those good intentions were suffused with the Silicon Valley brand of libertarian ideology, which takes the already naïve utopianism (and blindness to dynamics of power) of libertarianism and mixes in a heavy dose of privilege (both racial, geographic and socioeconomic) and an explicit denial that this privileged perspective might not be universally superior, a particularly naïve technooptimism, and a die-hard, "all progress is good progress" mode of thinking. There are massive flaws all the way down to the very philosophical core of crypto, let alone NFTs, most notably the idea that "nodoby can be trusted, thus we distribute trust naïvely while ignoring the potential that this distributed trust can be accumulated". This is a mode of thinking so full of easily exploitable loopholes that it will never, ever be functional in any real way. And the grand irony of it all is that this - as we see in the crypto and NFT world today - results is more centralization, as there are no regulatory mechanisms put into place to avoid the accumulation of power and wealth - after all, the system is built on nobody having the power to do such regulation in the first place. There is no world in which this would not be exploited, and there never will be.

I like your reflections on this, though as I said above I have zero belief in crypto or NFTs coming back in some beneficial way. The evangelists have had more than a decade to demonstrate an actually useful implementation of this tech that isn't already performed better by existing mechanisms, or that couldn't be implemented in less actively harmful ways. I think you're right about the role of different approaches in developing tech, and I agree that we overall benefit from having a diversity of motivations and interests in what gets developed and how. But we're seeing the real-world global scale consequences of unchecked capitalism play out in real time through boths societal and environmental harms, and it's clear to me that the approach of "let's just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" of innovation when combined with profit-first neoliberal capitalism is just not sustainable in any way, shape or form. If anything, this is an argument for closer ties between the people you mention - the ethically minded ones and the tinkerers, as they can benefit from exchanging views and knowledge and provide perspective that they can't get from themselves.

Put it this way: if the bubble that allows you the freedom to study and work is so insular that it lets you ignore the real-world consequences of your actions, and is large enough that those consequences are massively global in scale, then that bubble needs popping. Nobody is owed the privilege of being insulated from the world in that way, and humanity does not need nor benefit from this thoughtless sprint forward, where innovation at any cost is seen as a good. We need to slow down, and start thinking more. If that means that these bubbled-up people will be less free to study and work? Honestly, that's not even a blip on the overall cost-benefit analysis of this. Slightly checking the privilege of a group of massively privileged people running the world into the ground because "we're not doing any harm, we're just innovating" is a benefit, not a loss.

But ... do you think the people causing said governmental corruption would somehow not corrupt a system that entirely lacks regulatory mechanisms? The net result of things being decentralized in the way crypto is, is that whoever has the means to exert power can do so however they like, and they are free to work towards accumulating more wealth and power as no mechanisms exist to resist this.

I mean, crypto today is massively centralized. A handful of privately held exchanges control the vast majority of all transactions. Most blockchains are maintained by a handful of nodes, the owners of which are not accountable to anyone whatsoever. Heck, the history of cryptocurrencies forking due to bad actors gaming this system is conclusive evidence that such a system does not work.

How so? I'd really like to hear you expand on that thought.

The issue with this - and with proof of stake in general - is that this just entrenches the power of the wealthy few who can afford to be staked in a PoS cryptocurrency, which of course entirely undermines any semblance of this being a liberating technology. Not that it ever has been, but if the groundbreaking technology that is supposed to liberate people will only liberate people who can afford to stow away $100000+ somewhere and not care too much if they lose it? Yeah, sorry, that's not liberating, that is just another mechanism for the wealthy and powerful to entrench their power and wealth.

Ugh, I throw up in my mouth a bit every time I see someone use that term in that way. Just ... no. I mean, it's explicit incel(-adjacent) rhetoric aimed purely at dehumanization and alienation - and for that purpose, it unfortunately works really well, as you can typically tell that the people using the words in that way are really not thinking of the group of people they're describing as humans at all. It's this fascinating pastiche of the nonsensical "we're rational and scientifically minded" attitude often expressed in the manosphere with an attempt at analyzing society, which ... well, that's rather hard to do when you refuse to engage with society as consisting of people. Of course this is likely at least in part a hackneyed response to feminist discourse around gender as societally determined and performative - they really want it all to be purely biological - but one that doesn't actually refer to actual biology, but rather mythological, pseudoscientific ideas based on refuted/retracted science (that wolf-pack "alpha" and "beta" thing, among others). And of course it actively comes into conflict with the massive and growing evidence of sex and gender complexity and even social determination of "gender" in animals. But that's going off on a bit of a tangent.

I don't think it's pedantic at all - rather, criticizing this as pedantic is one of the main ways this type of harmful rhetoric gets disseminated, as it's an easy bad-faith attack that shuts down debate. The words we use have a massive effect on how we think about the world we live in, which in turn shapes how we relate to and operate within that world. Heck, do that for long enough and it even shapes the neural pathways of your brain. This type of "pedantry" is of massive importance, as is the only way to combat the entrance of dehumanizing and harmful words into everyday discourse. And there are plenty of historical examples that demonstrate that once a population starts talking about another group as not or less than human, violence and attempts at subjugation or eradication follow close behind.
All I can say to that wall of text is: yeah you are totally right, but you have the benefit of hindsight.

Enthusiasm can be a helluva drug. It can also blind you very well.

A lot of you know I was an early crypto advocate. So my words should hold weight when I say of what exists now, there is nothing left to salvage, save maybe an idea or two (blockchain does have some interesting properties). But the products we have now? Burn them. Burn them all.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
All I can say to that wall of text is: yeah you are totally right, but you have the benefit of hindsight.

Enthusiasm can be a helluva drug. It can also blind you very well.
Oh, absolutely. I have zero problem understanding that - if anything, that realization is part of why I continue having these sorts of discussions here, to try and be a bit of a counterweight to that intoxicating rush of enthusiasm. Also known as being a sourpuss and a Debbie downer ;) I definitely toyed with the idea of trying my hand at cryptomining at some point, though I never reached a point where I actually cared enough to do it. In part, I was lucky as well, as my living conditions during the early days of crypto were not at all conducive to that kind of activity - so I never got the opportunity to really try it out even if I had mustered the resolve to do so, and thus never entered into the cycle of being materially invested in something and thus invested in its continued success. I had my reservations from early on (the whole idea of "have your GPU burn tons of energy to print free money" always seemed a bit too good to be true, and I've always been put off by libertarianism), but it definitely took a while before I gained a sufficient understanding to arrive at my current views - and I have absolutely no way of knowing how things would have played out if things had been different back then. I'd like to think that I would still hold to the values I do now, but ... nobody's perfect, and we are all warped and twisted by the stuff we go through in our lives in ways we have little hope of controlling. If anything, I find it admirable that you've been through that process and haven't gotten stuck in the 'gung-ho proponent' stage that many people seem to do. I never underestimate the mental holding power of being financially/materially invested into something, no matter how directly harmful it may be to that person. Not that I have that much to base this impression on, but that at least seems to indicate someone genuinely curious and interested in their place in and effect on the world and willing to put in some legwork in questioning things, rather than just looking for whatever way they can dig themselves out of the muck. And that's an admirable combination of traits.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
I thought that asrock's repeated failure of low end motherboard designs and them going after reviewers would do it for you.
Sometimes they managed to be the only option available here. Now I can just tell the clients "there's no stock, wait a bit longer".

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
My favorite part about NFTs is if someone drops an image in your wallet, like Cheese Pizza, you cant delete it, you can only hide it or send it somewhere. Super secure!
It's almost like it was built on the backbone of a currency network and using it for jpegs was dumb as a box of rocks...

Noooooo! I have no quarrels with the furry races.
Me neither. I mean people are into way weirder stuff and as long as it's harmless? *shrugs* People like to get worked up over the oddest stuff that has nothing to do with them.

But I'm a frog, so they can have the fur to themselves anyways. It's bad for my pores.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Me neither. I mean people are into way weirder stuff and as long as it's harmless? *shrugs* People like to get worked up over the oddest stuff that has nothing to do with them.

But I'm a frog, so they can have the fur to themselves anyways. It's bad for my pores.
Dude, the thing to fear is the impeding crabocalypse as carcinization takes over. With everything non-crab eventually becoming crab, there's just not a lot of hope to have. That's the real reason I advocate that we all just stick together while we can. That's the real end of it all. Everything evolves into crabs and earth eventually becomes a planet of crab people. I kind of presume sentience to be a natural byproduct of the processes which also form advanced life, so yeah. Sentient crab beings will have to tend to the planet past a certain point. The poor universe, if there is any other life to be found in it, will have much to fear on the day that species rises from 'neath the writhing and cackling cast of chitinous life. The only thing worse than a bunch of bored crabs, is a bunch of bored crabs who have mastered interstellar transit.

Or we could always just get creatures such as these (are lobsters close enough?):
167-1677884_zoidberg-futurama-zoidberg.jpg

The one thing that no grown adult normie will ever admit, is how much they intuitively know that running around in a decked out animal get up is pretty much guaranteed to be super-fun.
Despite being a furry I've never done it nor do I plan to lol

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Despite being a furry I've never done it nor do I plan to lol
Jokes aside, I'm almost betting that's more the norm, if I'm being realistic.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Jokes aside, I'm almost betting that's more the norm, if I'm being realistic.
Depends how lightweight the costume is. I could get down with playing animal if the suit did not weigh a million tons like I picture most of them do. And if we keep it clean.