• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Formally Announces Arc A-series Graphics

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
For decades, Intel has been a champion for PC platform innovation. We have delivered generations of CPUs that provide the computing horsepower for billions of people. We advanced connectivity through features like USB, Thunderbolt and Wi-Fi. And in partnership with the PC ecosystem, we developed the ground-breaking PCI architecture and the Intel Evo platform, pushing the boundary for what mobile products can do. Intel is uniquely positioned to deliver PC platform innovations that meet the ever-increasing computing demands of professionals, consumers, gamers and creators around the world. Now, we take the next big step.

Today, we are officially launching our Intel Arc graphics family for laptops, completing the Intel platform. These are the first discrete GPUs from our Intel Arc A-Series graphics portfolio for laptops, with our desktop and workstation products coming later this year. You can visit our Newsroom for our launch video, product details and technical demos, but I will summarize the highlights of how our Intel Arc platform and A-Series mobile GPU family will deliver hardware, software, services and - ultimately - high-performance graphics experiences.

• New Laptops with Intel Arc Graphics: We've partnered with top OEMs to co-engineer an amazing lineup of laptops that feature new and improved gaming and content creation capabilities with Intel Arc graphics and 12th Gen Intel Core processors. Many new systems with Intel Arc 3 graphics will feature the Intel Evo platform's trademark responsiveness, battery life and Wi-Fi 6 connectivity in thin-and-light form factors. Laptops with Intel Arc 3 graphics offer enhanced 1080p gaming and advanced content creation, and those with Intel Arc 5 and Intel Arc 7 graphics will offer the same cutting-edge, content-creation capabilities coupled with increased graphics and computing performance. The first laptops with Intel Arc 3 GPUs are available to preorder now and will be followed by the more powerful designs with Intel Arc 5 and Intel Arc 7 graphics in early summer.
  • Unleashing the Laptop Platform: The foundation of products with Intel Arc A-Series GPUs and our platform-level approach to graphics innovation starts with our new Xe High Performance Graphics microarchitecture (Xe HPG), which is engineered for gamers and creators. We have packed a ton of great technology into Xe HPG, including powerful Xe-cores with Intel XMX AI engines, a graphics pipeline optimized for DirectX 12 Ultimate with hardware acceleration for ray tracing, the Xe Media Engine tuned to accelerate existing and future creator workloads and the Xe Display Engine ready for DisplayPort 2.0 UHBR 10.
    • Intel Xe Matrix Extensions (XMX) AI engines provide more compute capability for accelerating AI workloads. These AI engines have 16 times the compute to complete AI inferencing operations when compared to traditional GPU vector units, which can increase performance in productivity, gaming and creator applications.
    • Xe Super Sampling (XeSS) is our solution that leverages the power of Intel Arc graphics' XMX AI-engines to deliver high-performance, AI-accelerated upscaling. XeSS is a novel upscaling technology that uses deep learning to synthesize images that are very close to the quality of native high-res rendering. XeSS is coming in the summer and will be supported on all products with Arc A-Series graphics.
    • Intel Arc A-Series GPUs are the first in the industry to offer full AV1 hardware acceleration, including both encode and decode, delivering faster video encode and higher quality streaming while consuming the same internet bandwidth. We've worked with industry partners to ensure that AV1 support is available today in many of the most popular media applications, with broader adoption expected this year. The AV1 codec will be a game changer for the future of video encoding and streaming.
    • We've integrated Intel Deep Link technologies to enable Intel Arc GPUs to work seamlessly with Intel CPUs and integrated graphics for a performance improvement across gaming, creating and streaming workloads. Intel Deep Link enables dynamic power sharing, intelligently distributing power across the platform to increase application performance up to 30% in creation and compute-intensive applications. With Hyper Encode and Hyper Compute, Deep Link allows multi-engine acceleration in transcoding and AI tasks. More details are available in our product fact sheet.
  • Community Experiences: Our Intel Arc graphics are more than another piece of hardware in your PC. They are your portal to play and create. We have a dedicated team focused on delivering Day 0 game-ready drivers, which you'll be able to track in our new Intel Arc Control interface, an all-in-one hub that puts you in full control of the gaming experience. Intel Arc Control includes custom performance profiles, built-in streaming, a virtual camera, integrated Game ON driver downloading, automatic game capture, and more. The app supports Intel Iris Xe graphics and Intel Arc GPUs for a unified software experience. By working with our developer partners, we are making a growing portfolio of Intel-optimized games and multimedia applications available to discrete graphics customers through special launch bundles. Bundles will vary based on the system and the region, but the first of these gamer and creator bundles is rolling out in April with the launch of our A-Series mobile products. Our goal is to deliver something new and fun to the community every day of the year. We invite you to connect with us and join the conversation on our Intel Insiders discord.
Looking Ahead
Today marks the first step in our journey. You'll see Intel Arc graphics continue to improve and evolve, with new features and an ever-expanding ecosystem coming throughout the year. And for desktop enthusiasts, our Intel Arc graphics add-in-cards will be coming this summer.

We are excited, and we hope you are too. It's going to be a big year for Intel Arc graphics.

The complete slide-deck follows.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
I hope that, in the long run, Intel gives AMD and Nvidia a run for their money. This duopoly, verging on a monopoly, is not good for us.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
I would have liked them to show their FPS slides against AMD or Nvidia Laptop equivalents. Not Iris.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
well judging by the performance of nvenc i wouldnt hold my breath (too much)

Realtime AV1 encoding is a huge deal! This format beats the pants out of HEVC/h265 and is not bound by the same restrictive licensing that led the format to be mostly ignored.

NVENC's advantage over AMD's competing Video Core Next is pretty much only in AVC/h264 encoding, the sole reason this is relevant is that due to royalties charged by the HEVC patent holders, video streaming services refused to adopt the format and kept using the old AVC format whose patents have already expired, or adopted the VP9 codec.

At 5 Mbps (Twitch's maximum bandwidth), 1080p30 should be imperceptibly encoded using the AV1 format, streams will have practically Blu-ray quality with this format.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
I don't think it will help much if it depends on TSMC's limited capacity.
Right now, that is the case. In the future, if Intel sorts out its process woes, then that won't be a concern.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
Still no details on the desktop is disappointing. That along with only comparing their igpu against their own IrisXe does not inspire confidence in anyone except shareholders that know nothing about the competition.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
So a lot of numbers, like TW3 at Medium settings is 68FPS which is faster than a no number from Iris, at a unknown TDP, at a unknown frequency, at a unknown memory, with a unknown cooling system.

A lot of fluff in them their slides. Good thing is efluff and not real, they would have a mess on their hands trying to dispose of that much physical fluff.

"The Elden Ring was CAPTURED on a series 7 GPU," not rendered, merely captured.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
I don't think it will help much if it depends on TSMC's limited capacity.
I thought they had first dibs on their 5nm?

Realtime AV1 encoding is a huge deal! This format beats the pants out of HEVC/h265 and is not bound by the same restrictive licensing that led the format to be mostly ignored.

NVENC's advantage over AMD's competing Video Core Next is pretty much only in AVC/h264 encoding, the sole reason this is relevant is that due to royalties charged by the HEVC patent holders, video streaming services refused to adopt the format and kept using the old AVC format whose patents have already expired, or adopted the VP9 codec.

At 5 Mbps (Twitch's maximum bandwidth), 1080p30 should be imperceptibly encoded using the AV1 format, streams will have practically Blu-ray quality with this format.
yes but the thing is, will realtime hardware-accelerated av1 encode have the same compression rate as software?
because nvenc h264 is like, total ass and produces either significantly larger files or significantly worse quality compared to software

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
yes but the thing is, will realtime hardware-accelerated av1 encode have the same compression rate as software?
because nvenc h264 is like, total ass and produces either significantly larger files or significantly worse quality compared to software

It should be at least on par with faster encoding presets. AV1 encoders have come a long time since the early svt-av1 days that required dual Skylake-SP Xeon processors for realtime :)

ffmpeg already supports the format, and some front-ends like Shutter Encoder have already been updated to support it. 1080p 30 basically transcodes into 3 Mbps AV1 from an AVC source at practically real time on my laptop's Ryzen 5 5600H, one minute of footage takes around 1m7sec to complete, while the same settings on HEVC take 1m35sec. A dedicated and optimized hardware encoder that meets this level of performance should be able to easily do real-time encoding retaining a very high level of detail in the image. Of course, as newer generations of AV1 encoders come out, they will become faster and more accurate, too, but even in a basic state, the codec is simply far ahead of the traditional options we are used to working with.

On a semi-unrelated note, there is something interesting that I came across just now, Xaymar, the original author of the AMD AMF encoder for OBS, has also conducted a study of their own regarding AVC/H264 encoder performance, you may check it out here:

Turing-class NVENC seems to do particularly well against even CPU encoding at reasonable speeds, so I expect great things from Lovelace's.

AMD needs to STEPUP thier game(by making availability and stock) in the laptop market.
They are already having a very low share in the mobile(laptop) space with 80% of manfactures going to Intel+ Nvdia combo.
all they do is release 1 or 2 full AMD setup just for "name sake" and call it a day.

AMD better do something soon or they gonna end up with less than 5% market share in laptop segments(GPUs).

[ ... ]

Turing-class NVENC seems to do particularly well against even CPU encoding at reasonable speeds, so I expect great things from Lovelace's.
wait what, that cant be right, unless im stupid or something (or the software is, idk)

i ran a few of my recordings through handbrake at 30 constant quality and turing nvenc basically threw a file twice the size as software medium at me
curiously, slower and up also threw a file of a larger size than medium at me, but maybe they have higher fidelity despite the identical 30 quality preset? (idk, would be the only logical explanation since i did not really inspect/watch the results any further)

Looking at these performance slides, we would be lucky if we get RX 570 ($169 5 years ago) performance level for the desktop part (8 Xe cores) on the TPU games set up, because although on newer games like Doom Eternal will be faster than RX 570, the average score will come down a lot due to lack of optimization for older games, DX11 games etc.
I hope I'm wrong, but right now this is the impression I'm getting.

I like how Intel doesn't want to compare to any other dgpus, but instead decided to compared it to their igpus.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm ... curious? as to the relatively down-to-earth launch of this. Very little fanfare, and clearly a slow rollout, with just low-end laptop GPUs first, and not a single comparison against any competitor. Possible interpretations:
-underwhelming performance
-undercooked drivers, expecting much better performance in the coming months
-not wanting to overpromise (yeah, lol, this is a tech company doing PR, so ...)
-????

I can't say I'm blown away by those Xe comparisons - it's essentially a wider version of the same arch with dedicated VRAM and a bespoke power budget, so outperforming it by something that looks like 25-33% isn't all that impressive. Guess that depends on the power draw of that chip though.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
But 40 years of an actual Intel CPU monopoly is just fine and dandy?
Intel's monopoly didn't last 40 years. AMD was very competitive for a large part of that period. I miss the old days when there were other x86 cpu design companies, but 2 is better than 1.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
1648664573432.png

The 5700G has half the shaders, shares the DDR4 and runs half the speed at low settings.

1648664730135.png

The 6500 has the exact number of cores, memory & bus, but runs at almost 2X the core speed but at high settings, and its gimped by the PCIe.

From what it seems the 370M is about 30-40% slower than the 6500XT at half the power budget. So Watt for Watt they seem to be about 15% behind AMD TSMC 6nm, Intel being 7nm, If their hardware scales and is priced right with god drivers they could be here for the fight.
It should be at least on par with faster encoding presets. AV1 encoders have come a long time since the early svt-av1 days that required dual Skylake-SP Xeon processors for realtime :)

ffmpeg already supports the format, and some front-ends like Shutter Encoder have already been updated to support it. 1080p 30 basically transcodes into 3 Mbps AV1 from an AVC source at practically real time on my laptop's Ryzen 5 5600H, one minute of footage takes around 1m7sec to complete, while the same settings on HEVC take 1m35sec. A dedicated and optimized hardware encoder that meets this level of performance should be able to easily do real-time encoding retaining a very high level of detail in the image. Of course, as newer generations of AV1 encoders come out, they will become faster and more accurate, too, but even in a basic state, the codec is simply far ahead of the traditional options we are used to working with.

On a semi-unrelated note, there is something interesting that I came across just now, Xaymar, the original author of the AMD AMF encoder for OBS, has also conducted a study of their own regarding AVC/H264 encoder performance, you may check it out here:

"The Hyper Encode workload measures the time it takes to transcode a 4K/30fps AVC @ 57.9Mbps clip to 4K/30fps HEVC @ 30Mbps High Quality format with 3 applications: HandBrake, DaVinci Resolve, Cyberlink PowerDirector. The comparison for the claim is using both Alder Lake integrated graphics and Alchemist to encode in a I+I configuration versus the integrated graphics adapter alone."

"The AV1 workload measures the time it takes to transcode a 4K/30fps AVC @ 57.9Mbps clip to 4K/30fps AV1 @ 30Mbps High Speed format. The comparison for the 50x claim is using the Alder Lake CPU (software) to transcode the clip on a public FFMPEG build versus Alchemist (hardware) on a proof-of-concept Intel build."

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
As Intel CPU + AMD GPU notebooks are non-existent, it's mainly NV that needs to worry.