• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Formally Announces Arc A-series Graphics

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
But the H series is the upper model in the mobile stack. So from that perspective it has some sort of meaning I think.
I would argue the opposite - that that very point undermines the comparison, as it implies that the GPU needs a 45W CPU to outperform a 28W CPU and its iGPU, which ... well, that's not a good look. I would also honestly be surprised if this is a common system configuration - it doesn't make sense to me to pair a 45W H-series CPU with a ... let's guess at 35-50W low-end GPU. That would be much better paired with a 28W P-series CPU, even if the H would likely perform a few % better. It just doesn't add up in the end.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I would argue the opposite - that that very point undermines the comparison, as it implies that the GPU needs a 45W CPU to outperform a 28W CPU and its iGPU, which ... well, that's not a good look. I would also honestly be surprised if this is a common system configuration - it doesn't make sense to me to pair a 45W H-series CPU with a ... let's guess at 35-50W low-end GPU. That would be much better paired with a 28W P-series CPU, even if the H would likely perform a few % better. It just doesn't add up in the end.
that would depend on what this is exactly for. You also have to put into account power consumption and what other companies release. It has to be competitive so maybe Intel is showing two different tiers of CPU paired with new GPU architecture. I'm sure there is a reason for Intel to showcase with these two. May be hard to guess why these two.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
that would depend on what this is exactly for. You also have to put into account power consumption and what other companies release. It has to be competitive so maybe Intel is showing two different tiers of CPU paired with new GPU architecture. I'm sure there is a reason for Intel to showcase with these two. May be hard to guess why these two.
But that's not what they're showing off, they're specifically showing off the first Arc mobile dGPU performance. The i7-1280P is already a known entity, has been announced previously, and has had its performacne detailed then. The purpose of this comparison is to demonstrate how much faster the Arc is than the Xe iGPU - yet they're skewing the comparison by also giving the CPU a much higher power budget (which the P would already get if paired with a dGPU - it would have the whole 28W to itself, after all, but this goes even beyond that). This is telling, as there aren't that many plausible reasons for this. Incompetence, stupidity, a complete lack of understanding of how comparisons work, cynicism and wanting to present the product in the best possible light, or underwhelming performance in a more like-for-like scenario - that's pretty much it. And of those, the latter two are the only likely ones, and given the performance, only the last one is reasonable IMO. There's no other reason for this to be a P against H+dGPU comparison, unless a P against P+dGPU comparison would make it look worse. It's not like H-series i7+Nvidia MX GPU pairings are particularly common, nor are there any other configurations included here, so this isn't about comparing against competitors directly.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
But that's not what they're showing off, they're specifically showing off the first Arc mobile dGPU performance. The i7-1280P is already a known entity, has been announced previously, and has had its performacne detailed then. The purpose of this comparison is to demonstrate how much faster the Arc is than the Xe iGPU - yet they're skewing the comparison by also giving the CPU a much higher power budget (which the P would already get if paired with a dGPU - it would have the whole 28W to itself, after all, but this goes even beyond that). This is telling, as there aren't that many plausible reasons for this. Incompetence, stupidity, a complete lack of understanding of how comparisons work, cynicism and wanting to present the product in the best possible light, or underwhelming performance in a more like-for-like scenario - that's pretty much it. And of those, the latter two are the only likely ones, and given the performance, only the last one is reasonable IMO. There's no other reason for this to be a P against H+dGPU comparison, unless a P against P+dGPU comparison would make it look worse. It's not like H-series i7+Nvidia MX GPU pairings are particularly common, nor are there any other configurations included here, so this isn't about comparing against competitors directly.
Well that would explain a lot. Higher power budget and obviously faster iGPU since the CPU can handle it.