• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Boss Responds to Reports of Brutal Corporate Culture

You get a day off for one of those 12 hour shifts or you work more than 240 hours a month ? If so, you can't do that without having a wife that is stay at home, or your parents taking care of the house ,the groceries, cooking, dishes, laundry and the kids. Add to that a 1-2 hour commute and you are away from home for 5 days a week each week ? that is a schedule for Asia not for Europe or the US IMHO.
If you get a day off for each 12 hour shift that includes night shifts, than that might not be a bad deal.
Allow me to be more clear. NO ONE wants to work 12hour days. Some are willing to, but NOT for 5 or 6 days straight. And good luck trying to get people to rotate from days to night and back every other week. I sure as hell wouldn't do it no matter how much money they offered.

What they need to do is run 3 6hour shifts every day with no over-night shift. 5x6hour days? I'd go for that, especially given how mind-numbingly repetitive that kind of work is. The key with this kind of schedule is that you hire more people for shorter shifts and spread those shifts out. Offer a fair wage and you'll have people lining up to take those jobs! Worker retention will be very high! This is NOT Asia, we are not willing to work ourselves into an early grave.

@Mr Liu
Change your scheduling/shift system and adapt to the needs of American workers or go suck a hot steamy turd. Don't blame US for YOUR inability to understand OUR culture.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Allow me to be more clear. NO ONE wants to work 12hour days. Some are willing to, but NOT for 5 or 6 days straight. And good luck trying to get people to rotate from days to night and back every other week. I sure as hell wouldn't do it no matter how much money they offered.

What they need to do is run 3 6hour shifts every day with no over-night shift. 5x6hour days? I'd go for that, especially given how mind-numbingly repetitive that kind of work is. The key with this kind of schedule is that you hire more people for shorter shifts and spread those shifts out. Offer a fair wage and you'll have people lining up to take those jobs! Worker retention will be very high! This is NOT Asia, we are not willing to work ourselves into an early grave.

@Mr Liu
Change your scheduling/shift system and adapt to the needs of American worker or go suck a hot steamy turd. Don't blame US for YOUR inability to understand OUR culture.
I told my boss that when we get some 10 day in a row weeks of working that I would just quit, I was lucky I never had to do it.

Working 12hrs a day for 6 days, I would rather just be dead. What kind of life is that?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
now the question is, what days are the management working?

I noticed here where I am, maybe different experience, is that they make us monkeys work our asses off, they sit at home, work from home, and then pat themselves on the back when "targets are very high!"

Its insulting and its getting worst. I guess jokes on me, I should have worked harder or massaged more ego's in order to get ahead.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Work and management culture in Asia and US is so different that it will take some time for both sides to adjust to each other. Its not going to be a straightforward problem to solve since the Asian bosses will be of the opinion that "Taiwanese workforce has superior commitment, Americans will never amount to anything with their current work ethic". Add a layer of "US pressured us to be here, now that we are here we can't find good workers anyway", you can see how it becomes a toxic soup.

As for shift workers, its not uncommon for 12/12hr back to backs in factory/healthcare/other 24hr operations. The hours will be balanced out with appropriate rest periods e.g. 12hrs for 7 days (=84 hours), and then 7 days off for a total of 42hr/week on average. 8/8/8hr shifts is a lot harder to schedule, by the time you reach 6/6/6/6hr shifts workers will be working most days to make up the hours.

Lol how'd you draw "snowflake problems" into this. Most "snowflake" types are strongly for labor rights and it's not an either/or scenario regardless.
But the MSM loves to portray "snowflakes" with all their lifestyle problems before promoting workers rights.

Here's an idea Mr Liu: Utilize shifts that Americans are WILLING to work.

Forcing workers into 5 12hour shifts per week, rotating nights and days every week are NOT acceptable scheduling schemes. If YOU wouldn't work that schedule, don't insult the people who won't either, Moron. I don't know how things work in Taiwan, but over here, if you don't respect your employees, you don't HAVE employees.
Yes good point. Shift work like that has serious health repercussions on each individual worker. Humans are not designed to have alternate day then nights on a rotating weekly basis ( let alone even days for that matter). It's the stuff of health nightmares - literally speaking. A one way ticket to an early grave.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Here's an idea Mr Liu: Utilize shifts that Americans are WILLING to work.

Forcing workers into 5 12hour shifts per week, rotating nights and days every week are NOT acceptable scheduling schemes. If YOU wouldn't work that schedule, don't insult the people who won't either, Moron. I don't know how things work in Taiwan, but over here, if you don't respect your employees, you don't HAVE employees.

if that schedule is real, then wow... that is a horrible quality of life.

I always tell young people to become nurses in USA. then after 2 years of experience go back for 1 year to get the Nurse Practitioner license and become a traveling nurse, 160k a year and you work 3 days a week by age 26. 4 day weekends most of the time and money to spend to enjoy them.

But the MSM loves to portray "snowflakes" with all their lifestyle problems before promoting workers rights.

Yes good point. Shift work like that has serious health repercussions on each individual worker. Humans are not designed to have alternate day then nights on a rotating weekly basis ( let alone even days for that matter). It's the stuff of health nightmares - literally speaking. A one way ticket to an early grave.

The science does all prove this, I agree. I used to be a night owl, but I am not anymore, my body is much happier waking with the sunrise.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Allow me to be more clear. NO ONE wants to work 12hour days. Some are willing to, but NOT for 5 or 6 days straight
It's scientifically less productive than lesser working shifts at that point. Nonsensical really.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
It's real. Believe it. Asia is very different from the rest of the world.
I'm hoping the recent studies that show reduced work hours actually increase productivity (to a point anyways) start to get realized globally, but it seems corperations in general are very slow to adapt to this idea.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Especially East Asian companies. Remember, they install nets and all that. They're there for a reason, they overwork their employees to the bone and many opt to commit.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Especially East Asian companies. Remember, they install nets and all that. They're there for a reason, they overwork their employees to the bone and many opt to commit.
I would argue it's a global issue (long work hours) and the asian "suicide" issue is driven more by population density issues than the work culture, but regardless, we do agree asia is worse off in general work hours wise.

Lets play nice :)
But sometimes the clamps hurt so good (be nice, I love you).

D

Deleted member 185088

Taiwan, China, Korea and specially Japan.
In Asia there is still the medieval working style mentality that workers are just soulless drones, hired only to perform tasks, without questioning, personality, or any other kind of life.
In Japan they even said -the workers actually (yeah, brainwashing is the finest), that family comes 3rd, after the Boss and after the Company or the work place.
So no wonder that a$$holes like this TSMC boss are making those statements with a visible frustration, that he might need to offer "special treatment" to US workers, something that instead of being the norm, he consider an exception from the rules. His rules.
Because in lots of underdeveloped countries (such as the ones you listed to which I add the US) the government just doesn't protect employees, especially that employees are always in a weaker position compared to employer, and need stronger laws to protect them.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Because in lots of underdeveloped countries (such as the ones you listed to which I add the US) the government just doesn't protect employees, especially that employees are always in a weaker position compared to employer, and need stronger laws to protect them.
I'm not sure by what criteria one could call Japan underdeveloped... it literally has the largest city on earth as it's capitol, and is pretty damn wealthy.

The US likewise has political issues, and infrastructure is aging in parts, but it is still pretty damn developed compared to the rest of the world.

Heck most of the countries on that list are arguably pretty developed, with the exception of maybe PARTS of China, which do remain very rural.

I will agree though that in employee->employer protections, the US and those countries do belong on a short list of pretty bad nations.

So you never worked night shifts or 12 hours shift ? ha! :)
You have 2 possibilities for 24/7/365. 2x 12 hour shifts or 3x 8hour shifts. 9:00-17:00, 17:00-01:00, 01:00-09:00. Two workers/shift, you work one day you have a day off. I have had this schedule for a lot of years now.

For me it is way better than working 5 days a week from 9-17:00, and it suits me fine, you work ~15 days a month, with two out of four weekends off and holidays are split, if you work Christmas you are off for New Year and vice-versa same for Easter. Also people like firefighters, doctors/nurses, police and other LEO's, gas and electricity, mass-media, army, food production etc. We all work like that, not just factory workers.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
For all those that thing that American work is different should talk to people that talk in the rail industry in the US. Especially those that work for some Companies that have been in the News recently. This is not new though. Did no one else watch the DOc that showed Workers at Foxconn working 16 hr shifts so that we could keep the Iphone going?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Well who knows. As someone who works mon-fri and has for most of my life................I actually prefer 12-hr shifts...........more days off throughout the year........if its still 84-hr 2-week schedule.

My wife is a nurse, she works 12-hr shifts. mon-tues days, wed-thurs off, fri-sat-sun days, mon-tues off, wed-thurs days, fri-sat-sun off, then repeat 2 weeks of nightshifts. I did the same schedule in metalurgical plant on production crew.........the factory runs 24-7-365. In overseas mining I was 6 weeks in and 3 weeks out aka 42-12hr shifts in a row.

Now as for immigrants coming from taiwan to arizona...........well the arid sands of arizona may not be as welcoming as taiwan's weather??

Always teething issues when first starting out.....

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
That part is highly exaggerated, except Hon Hai do you remember any other corporation being named in such a fiasco? Better still any actual evidence of that being widespread, also how would installing safety nets actually work in muti storied buildings?
For all those that thing that American work is different should talk to people that talk in the rail industry in the US. Especially those that work for some Companies that have been in the News recently. This is not new though. Did no one else watch the DOc that showed Workers at Foxconn working 16 hr shifts so that we could keep the Iphone going?
That's true everywhere in the world & a lot of this work culture, being massively different in the West, is BS. How come you're relaxing child labor laws in many parts of the US, going back to pre industrialization era are we :rolleyes:

The fact is those who are desperate for work/jobs/money are exploited everywhere ~ whether it be for 16 hours a day here or less than minimum wage in the US or anything similar in the EU, Africa etc.

D

Deleted member 185088

I'm not sure by what criteria one could call Japan underdeveloped... it literally has the largest city on earth as it's capitol, and is pretty damn wealthy.

The US likewise has political issues, and infrastructure is aging in parts, but it is still pretty damn developed compared to the rest of the world.

Heck most of the countries on that list are arguably pretty developed, with the exception of maybe PARTS of China, which do remain very rural.

I will agree though that in employee->employer protections, the US and those countries do belong on a short list of pretty bad nations.
I judge development by how a country is doing to improve its population life conditions (good healthcare, free education, laws to protect consumers and employees, paid vacation, reasonable work time...), and all these countries fail miserably, but I would say Japan is much better than the US or Korea, but still underdeveloped.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502

Tokyo is not the largest city on earth, not even in Asia, it's not even top 10. It's the largest metropolitan area, not the largest city

I'm hoping the recent studies that show reduced work hours actually increase productivity (to a point anyways) start to get realized globally, but it seems corperations in general are very slow to adapt to this idea.
This is a very real thing. 6hour shifts with a 15 to 30 minute break in the middle(for a total of 6 hours work time + the break) seem to be the sweet spot for ultimate worker productivity, moral and job satisfaction. The more companies that adopt this shift scheme, the better whole industries will be, including TSMC.

So you never worked night shifts or 12 hours shift ? ha! :)
Oh I have. For a number of years I worked 12 and 13 hour shifts for 5 to 6 days a week. And I'll NEVER do it again. Granted, I never had to switch days and nights every week, and never would have.

Last edited: