• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3) Fluid Motion Rivaling DLSS 3, Broad Hardware Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
You have 0 evidence DLSS was working perfectly fine. A game benchmark is a tiny subset of the game approximating what 5min of gameplay?
Now if I were to postulate, it would be that the developers would know more about their game than you do.
Im not talking about RT. Im talking about DLSS. DLSS was there and working already. If it works in "5 min of gameplay" then it works. It's a UE4 game, it's literally a checkbox in the engine, the work had already been done by epic.

What did you expect the developer to say? That amd paid them to remove it?

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Im not talking about RT. Im talking about DLSS. DLSS was there and working already. If it works in "5 min of gameplay" then it works. It's a UE4 game, it's literally a checkbox in the engine, the work had already been done by epic.

What did you expect the developer to say? That amd paid them to remove it?
Oh right the dev didn't mention DLSS in that quote, or did you not read it?

“Unfortunately, we need to remove Ray Tracing and DLSS from the EA version. The main reason is that our development resources cannot support multiple technical features, especially pure technical features, which means that this feature will not bring substantial improvements to gameplay. Therefore, we lowered the priority of this feature over the past year. After struggling for a long time, we finally decided to drop it from the launch version. This decision was not easy, as we are a team of technology-driven game developers, especially since we spent a lot of time doing ray tracing benchmarks for Boundary.”

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Oh right the dev didn't mention DLSS in that quote, or did you not read it?

“Unfortunately, we need to remove Ray Tracing and DLSS from the EA version. The main reason is that our development resources cannot support multiple technical features, especially pure technical features, which means that this feature will not bring substantial improvements to gameplay. Therefore, we lowered the priority of this feature over the past year. After struggling for a long time, we finally decided to drop it from the launch version. This decision was not easy, as we are a team of technology-driven game developers, especially since we spent a lot of time doing ray tracing benchmarks for Boundary.”
Yeah right, cause in the hypothetical scenario that amd did pay them for that they would have admitted it....right right, silly me.

it mostly exists to provide graphics for systems
Really? With my RX 550 I can run Mad Max and Diablo II Resurrected at 1080p/Medium. Of course, 45fps average. And I can also run several games from 2012 and older with maximum quality. AMD didn't support it because they didn't want to. But, as I said, after 2030 I will be running games with this technology on a cheap PC. it's more interesting than spending a fortune right now just to have it sooner, as many gamers do.

What are you talking about? Im saying that nvidia released the 4060 as a 4070, and then AMD managed to do them one better by releasing the 7600xt as a 7800xt. A proper *800xt should be competing with the 4080, just like the previous gen did.
Dude, why such confusing nonsense? Brain hurts... Both companies have messed-up names of several cards and introduced hyperbolic names which are confusing the public. Please don't add to this confusion more. There is no "proper" *800XT. Forget about changing and comparing names as it will never make sense as it did before. Focus on performance tier.
AMD officially said in November that 7900XTX competes with 4080. And then you take it from there.
7900XT with 4070Ti
7800XT with 4070
7700XT with 4060Ti
7600 with 4060
That's it, really.

Anyways, the point was whether or not AMD is anti consumer blocking DLSS, and the answer is yes they are. Boundary is a prime example of that.
Then you need to collect your evidence and go to a court. Anti-competitive behaviour is not legal, so you could make them pay fines.

UKKN

They said Early fall FSR3 for those two games which starts on the 23rd of September. 7800XT and 7700XT launch on September 6th with Hyper-RX. Hyper-RX with fluid motion in the fall. Idk where you're getting Q1 2024 from.

AMD has 0% of the high end gaming market. You can't be high end without proper RT acceleration.
This sounds like a child throwing sand into someone's eyes. Kindergarten level of argument.
I can ping-pong and say: "You can't be high-end gaming market if you offer 7 years old DisplayPort 1.4 port, when both AMD and Intel offer more modern and faster video ports for new monitors". Is that the level on which you want to exchange arguments?

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Yep, small technical team, AMD gave them technical support so the game includes... XeSS, on wait, that doesn't go with your story.

Nvidia failed to give them support for DLSS, as they were not using just the barebones implementation, they needed help and didn't get it.
AMD helped them with performance tuning on FSR2.0 that works on... all cards, and XeSS from intel that... works on All cards...

“Both technologies (Intel XeSS and AMD FSR 2.0) will be supported in the game. And specific thanks to AMD, who very much provided us with great technical and resource support to make sure FSR 2 performs extremely well in Boundary. AMD has been a wonderful partner these last few months.”

Yes, the problem with cultist is they will believe whatever they want despite evidence contrary.
AMD is not some hero, they are struggling to compete and their only option is opensource and mindshare winning.
Intel is not some hero, they are pretty controlling but they too are pushing OneAPI and XeSS as open standards.

That said, AMD asking for priority when paying and offering support is standard, on smaller titles this will have a negative impact on the consumers of lack of DLSS as they don't have extra resources to do things they are not helped with.
DLSS, FSR and XeSS are fairly easy to implement at this stage... but that does not make them bug free at enablement. Testing man hours and performance tuning is still required.
On the other hand, it is likely that choosing to do something against the wishes of a partner will have negative effects on the partnership. Unless there is a contract of how many hours of support AMD is giving a dev, those might dwindle when they add competing technologies.

Assimilator, like ffs, how young are you, Nvidia's entire history they literally are the bad guys. I find it annoying they have the best hardware and software ecosystem because Jenson really lacks a moral compass. When 3dfx was beating them, they published hit pieces, drove them into the ground and bought the ip from the wreckage. Their origin story is literally running a competitor into the ground and taking SLI from them.

from gameworks, IQ degradation for benchmark wins (GTX200-300), bumpgate bad transition to leadfree solders cause gpus to desolder, lately their greed and pricing has just been nutty, and now they are openly asking to meet your customers, having been a partner in the past... don't do it, they will steal them.

That's business, you're also forgoing mentioning the dirty things that ATI and then AMD have done over the years, beginning with cheating at Quake 3, so there's that.

Granted, their moves are less impactful because they're a much smaller business with a much lower market share (which on occasion has bordered on utter irrelevance until the recent improvement as they captured a few niche markets that have excellent prospects going forward), but I don't think either company is worthy of sainthood.

AMD in fact rugpulled a large segment of Ryzen buyers big time the second they got ahead, as a very recent example.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Assimilator, like ffs, how young are you, Nvidia's entire history they literally are the bad guys.
Sounds exactly like a something a child would say. "NVIDIA is evil because they don't do what I think they should!"
I find it annoying they have the best hardware and software ecosystem because Jenson really lacks a moral compass.
They have the best hardware and software ecosystem because they've invested more money in making it so.
When 3dfx was beating them, they published hit pieces, drove them into the ground and bought the ip from the wreckage. Their origin story is literally running a competitor into the ground and taking SLI from them.
3dfx killed itself. Stop making up stupid bullshit to justify your lack of actual argument.
from gameworks, IQ degradation for benchmark wins (GTX200-300), bumpgate bad transition to leadfree solders cause gpus to desolder, lately their greed and pricing has just been nutty, and now they are openly asking to meet your customers, having been a partner in the past... don't do it, they will steal them.
Ah yes the good old "I don't actually have an argument so I'm going to bring up everything that I think NVIDIA has ever done wrong". I could do the same for ATI/AMD, but I won't, because I'm smart enough to know that that's not an argument, it's just stupid whining by a butthurt AMD fanboy.
Them offering something that is not locked to their hardware makes big daddy nvidia look like the devil
"The devil." What is this child's morality idiocy?
even though they have the necessary hardware.
You don't know that. Stop pretending that you do.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Sounds exactly like a something a child would say. "NVIDIA is evil because they don't do what I think they should!"

They have the best hardware and software ecosystem because they've invested more money in making it so.

3dfx killed itself. Stop making up stupid bullshit to justify your lack of actual argument.

Ah yes the good old "I don't actually have an argument so I'm going to bring up everything that I think NVIDIA has ever done wrong". I could do the same for ATI/AMD, but I won't, because I'm smart enough to know that that's not an argument, it's just stupid whining by a butthurt AMD fanboy.

"The devil." What is this child's morality idiocy?

Nvidia does not have the best software. In terms of effort there is no comparison between AMD and Nvidia with their 20+ year old UI.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Nvidia does not have the best software. In terms of effort there is no comparison between AMD and Nvidia with their 20+ year old UI.

Seems like a very superficial take if you take the quality of a graphics driver by how the control panel looks. The NVCP may have been designed in the Windows XP days, is clunky and sluggish, I'll agree with you, but that is definitely not how one evaluates driver quality - it's by its performance, compatibility and stability.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
You may be liable to a criminal prosecution for such libellous allegations and found by IP address, even if you use VPN. Be careful what you are posting without any evidence.

Remember the guy who leaked one hour long Starfield video online two days ago? He was found and he is already in jail now. Did you read about it?

FSR2 already works on widest possible number of cards. We will see how many FSR3 covers.
I admit, I said mean things about the queen and some other royal family and was told by someone on Twitter they were going to phone me into the local police. However living in Montana I really don't give a fuck who they call, and even offered to donate to get the local constable a row boat to make the trip.

Some places aren't speech nazis.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Seems like a very superficial take if you take the quality of a graphics driver by how the control panel looks. The NVCP may have been designed in the Windows XP days, is clunky and sluggish, I'll agree with you, but that is definitely not how one evaluates driver quality - it's by its performance, compatibility and stability.
Ok so what are you saying? The same old narrative that AMD drivers are weaker than Nvidia's.

Keyboard Galax Stealth
Ok so what are you saying? The same old narrative that AMD drivers are weaker than Nvidia's.

What I'm saying is that the Control Panel, as well as CCC/Radeon Software and Arc Control are just front-ends/settings managers for the driver. Them being pretty has no bearing on driver quality.

Intel's Arc Control looks the freshest btw and is also fully ad free.

It's amusing how it works, Nvidia introduces a pioneering technology, gets blasted for it, AMD releases an inferior copy and it's everyone's darling for doing so.
Not sure if trolling, but you may want to check AMD's (and even ATi's) list of innovations.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Seems like you were saying that AMD software is more refined because their UI is more modern, when he was saying that you should also take into consideration the software stack beyond the UI.
nvidia made a big bet on software long before ATI/AMD did, and I'm not just talking about gaming. With CUDA/OPTIX nvidia became a must have for a lot of content creation apps, OpenCL was either deprecated, or just avoided entirely by a few major developers. Pixar for exemple, even with their historical ties with Apple, eventually developed a set of internal tools that only works with Nvidia's APIs. Because it was just the best thing around.

AMD spend a lot of years just sitting around and waiting, Apple figured out fast that OpenCL (which was their creation) wasn't about to become the absolute industry standard and decided to do thing the Nvidia way. AMD HIP is just barely starting to get traction, which is good, but they have a decade of Nvidia optimisation to catch up with.

For as long as I can remember, Nvidia has always been more agressive on the software side of thing, AMD looked much more laid back with the exception of TressFX, Mantle and trueaudio.

Now it's hard to talk about driver stability without falling into speculative, or anecdotal experience. Unless someone can list the numbers of bugs reported by each side for the past few years.

If we are speculating on these conspiracies might as well throw in my own speculation here and assume Nvidia has to be paying you to litter this forum with your fanboy garbage, no way anyone would be doing this for free.
I have a slightly different theory ~ I'm thinking fev's a former AMD unhappy camper. He wanted to buy the 5800x3d so bad that he waited & waited & waited & after Covid hit he just couldn't take it anymore! He sold all his AMD gear in anger for $10 a pop & bought the 3090(Ti?) & then 4090 to stick it to team Red :ohwell:

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
What to say? They persistently - as well - no support to my - not that old - Radeon RX 550. I'm really sorry AMD, but I can't get excited about your limited solutions. Maybe in 2029 when I'll be assembly my next PC 'low TDP enthusiast' I can finally start to get excited about it. That's if you're still working on it.
Not that old LOL Apr 20th, 2017 that's 6 years old in computer terms that may aswell be a prehistoric dinosaur living in 720p land

Keyboard Galax Stealth
Not sure if trolling, but you may want to check AMD's (and even ATi's) list of innovations.

Not exactly trolling, the intent was to point out the hypocrisy of everyone who screamed "fake frames"and "vaseline smear" at the very first mention of frame generation technology, now cheering that AMD is "first to market with driver-level FG". It's not the technology they hate, it's who made it. Sorry for upsetting the peace. ;)

But AMD's list of innovations... well, recently, they've been struggling to release a driver that can run games that were released a month ago without exploding (Ratchet & Clank situation), so I'll owe you this one chief.

Not that old LOL Apr 20th, 2017 that's 6 years old in computer terms that may aswell be a prehistoric dinosaur living in 720p land

Well, 720p? Might be asking a little too much out of that card my guy. The 550 is like Nvidia's GT 1030, it's intended strictly for video-out and basic everyday multimedia tasks, not gaming.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I actually do. "Starting from the NVIDIA Turing architecture, NVIDIA GPUs have dedicated hardware for optical flow computation between a pair of frames."
Source:
There is nothing wrong with AMD's performance, compatibility and stability these days. Early RDNA 1 drivers were hit-and-miss, but they've come a long way since then.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
I actually do. "Starting from the NVIDIA Turing architecture, NVIDIA GPUs have dedicated hardware for optical flow computation between a pair of frames."
Source:

...and...

In the NVIDIA Turing and NVIDIA Ampere architecture generation GPUs, most of these algorithms use a compute engine to perform the required tasks. As a result, when the compute engine workload is high, the performance of the NVIDIA Optical Flow Accelerator (NVOFA) could be affected.

On NVIDIA Ada-generation GPUs, most of these algorithms are moved to dedicated hardware within the NVOFA, reducing the dependency on the compute engine significantly.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
...and...
That's proof that it works better on Ada. It's not proof that it doesn't work on Turing and Ampere.
If Nvidia could enable RT on cards that have zero dedicated RT hardware (GTX 1000 series), then this shouldn't be a problem, either.

Interesting stuff and pretty promising if it's true. Same rule applies as with DLSS3 - Can't play any of the competitive games as it's pretty terrible at that but for some single player games it's pretty decent. Supports all the way back to RX5700 which is decent - probably needs the GPU's DX12_1 I suppose. Either way, if it's any good it's a right finger at nvidia who decided to lock DLSS3 to Ada only for greed I suppose, unsurprising as it isn't anything uncommon when it comes to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.