• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Arrow Lake-S" Engineering Sample Posts Over 25% 1T Perf Gain Over i9-13900K, Falls Behind in nT

For gaming in general for most consumers since we're still stuck firmly in the 8C/16T era of console ports a 4P + 4E is actually sufficient and won't really hold things back much in terms of game performance on average. Like even in the case of Direct Storage gaining greater traction it's intended to decompress on the GPU resources SMT/HT isn't really beneficial for that scenario in the same way it is for 7-zip.

The biggest thing Intel could do if they wanted to make a cheap economical gaming chip is just sell a 4P + 4E chip with a larger cache because that's all the X3D options are in essence from a gaming perspective. Everything pretty much hinges on current console specs heavily. We won't see more serious deviation from game to game until we transition to a console utilizing more cores out of necessity of particular developer driven game design change reasons.

The only real reason we have more than 8C/16T in general is due to productivity and multitasking to avoid background tasks getting in the way somewhat at times. It's not really leveraged for gaming much due to consoles being the largest target audience and minimal effort game ports.

I said it few months back Intel could hypothetically do such a chip as means to compete with X3D. I mean AMD basically just targeted a game chip aimed around console limitations that most developers will closely adhere to.

Lesson learned for Intel always offer a game orientated CPU that matches console core and/or thread specs closely and can provide the best game experience tailored to them because that's what developers will be aiming at.

I actually think a 1P and 8E or a 2P and 8E would be pretty ideal with a big slab of cache. Just brute force the P core/cores and bolster it with a bunch of MT from the E cores and tack on a big chunk of cache to both. It would be very affordable and probably still be about 90%- 95% as good as a current X3D chip or possibly even better depending on the amount of cache involved and just how big a role it plays for games.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
It's interesting that the Intel boys are loving E-cores and are all for the removal of HT. So, you want a downgrade for consoles? Right now they have 8 full-fat cores with 16 threads, and that is the standard, even if you don't like the manufacturer.

Making a PS6 with only 8 cores, 4 normal, 4 castrated for "reasons" and all having HT removed so only 8 threads are supported would be a colossal downgrade, even if those cores were running a 6GHz. Plus, now all games would have to be re-compiled, and backwards compatibility would have to be emulated for the vast majority as performance issues would be prevalent in such a design, and soon that 6GHz will wish it was 12GHz pretty fast!

I don't get why Intel kids hate HT now, Intel invented the bloody thing in the first place! Go and benchmark your system right now, a mix of productivity and gaming, write the results down then go into your BIOS and turn HT off and repeat your benchmarks then come back here and post your honest results. I promise you that many benches, the vast majority would lower by at least 20% with some being affected more.

I don't want to live in your dystopian world where I cream my pants for a 1P 8E CPU, even if it's running at 12GHz!!!

You do understand why E cores exist in the first place don't you? You do understand that?

System Name Workhorse
Processor 13900K 5.9 Ghz single core (2x) 5.6 Ghz Allcore @ -0.15v offset / 4.5 Ghz e-core -0.15v offset
Motherboard MSI Z690A-Pro DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Cooler 360 3x Arctic 120 PWM Push + 3x Arctic 140 PWM Pull
Memory 2 x 32GB DDR4-3200-CL16 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 4133 Mhz CL 18-22-42-42-84 2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage PNY CS3030 1TB nvme SSD, 2 x 3TB HDD, 1x 4TB HDD, 1 x 6TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 3440x1400 60 Hz
Case Coolermaster 690
Audio Device(s) Topping Dx3 Pro / Denon D2000 soon to mod it/Fostex T50RP MK3 custom cable and headband / Bose NC700
Power Supply Enermax Revolution D.F. 850W ATX 2.4
Mouse Logitech G5 / Speedlink Kudos gaming mouse (12 years old)
Keyboard A4Tech G800 (old) / Apple Magic keyboard
You do understand why E cores exist in the first place don't you? You do understand that?
Sadly and apparently and they don't.

System Name Yes
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
Skymont E-core IPC is on par with Raptor P-core. 8E is a 12th gen i5 12400F equivalent or even better.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Skymont E-core IPC is on par with Raptor P-core. 8E is a 12th gen i5 12400F equivalent or even better.
And what's its clockspeed?

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
The challenge with P+E is that there are still times when Thread Director or the OS gets its bungled up and won't load all cores when you think it should be able to. I see it at work on my Adler Lake laptop daily, and it's usually MS's own Excel! I think there are just times where it won't ever use all the cores because the task I just gave it requires waiting for threads to be complete before the next can be queued, and the uneven core strength just can't handle that kind of timing. At that point, I actually wonder if the task should have been run on the 8 E cores instead, and not the 2 P cores. It's maddening to watch Task Manager and see 2 cores maxed out with the other 8 doing almost nothing. I suspect Zen P+C cores would fare better, but who knows.

Looks like a 5950x with light years better ST. The ST performance uplift jump is pretty substantial. It's kind of a side grade probably relative to Raptor Lake, but not too bad given ST is typically more important than MT to most users. It's not exactly lackluster in MT at the same time. Depending on which SKU this is and other factors like pricing and how power draw looks in practice this isn't too bad. Seems a better option for most than a 14700K if priced cheaper unless they really need or want heavier MT.

I think on average though it's going to be more serviceable with the hefty ST uplift. If things shift a bit more heavily to heavier MT it might be a little more dubious in relative terms, but if priced better doesn't really matter. Also whatever tweaks have been done to IMC and/or IGP and things along with chipset features. Will have to see how it stacks up against the new Zen chips, but isn't looking terrible.

I mean people were complaining vocally that they wanted more P cores essentially for higher ST and this is pretty much that coincidentally though they went about things differently. It looks like a solid change and concession by Intel and if this is merely the i5 SKU this is looking rather nice probably to people looking to a build a system in the near future.

TF-GrayWizard

Sadly its a CPU-Z bug

Reproducible by running the version 19 AVX beta test then switch it back to the version 17 test but don't run it then select a CPU to compare to and the ver 19 results show up.
further proof

purely hypothetically if the 14% IPC is translated into say a 13900KS 1T (stock is around ~950 1T afaik) and so it would likely be in the range of ~1080 score which would be cool to see a CPU break the 4 digit mark on 1T CPU-Z anyway.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 25
System Name Old friend
Processor 3550 Ivy Bridge x 39.0 Multiplier
Memory 2x8GB 2400 RipjawsX
Video Card(s) 1070 Gaming X
Storage BX100 500GB
Display(s) 27" QHD VA Curved @120Hz
Power Supply Platinum 650W
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
Last edited:
System Name SOCIETY
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK
Memory 64GB 6000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090
Storage WD SN850X 4TB, Micron 1100 2TB, ZFS NAS over 10gbe network
Display(s) 27" Dell S2721DGF, 24" ASUS IPS, 24" Dell IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply Cooler Master 1200W Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard ROG Falchion
VR HMD Pimax 8KX
Software Windows 10 with Debian VM
The "i" went back to Steve Jobs...

Excited Angel Wings GIF

Still stuck with "7" in the naming scheme from the Windows 7 days.
But hey iPod was like 8 years before Windows 7 so I think we can get another 8 years out of the 3/5/7/9 naming scheme before they realize it's dated.

Where'd you hear that? You're the only person saying that, that I've come across.
Multiple sources confirmed that Lunar Lake removes HT but Lion Cove supports it.
It's speculation on my part that Arrow Lake-S will have it but that seems very reasonable to assume.
Certainly Lion Cove in server parts will have HT.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Multiple sources confirmed that Lunar Lake removes HT but Lion Cove supports it.
It's speculation on my part that Arrow Lake-S will have it but that seems very reasonable to assume.
Certainly Lion Cove in server parts will have HT.
I just don't get how Intel is going to make up for the +-30% performance loss. I hear that they have improved IPC by 20% but where is the other 10% coming from, certainly not from clock speed?

System Name Yes
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
As you said for Intel CPU 80% result without SMT is 20% loss or 25% gain for 15% area which is physically removed now though. Pcore 6C x6.0Ghz occupies 39 mm2 instead of 45, when a low-power island cluser of 4E occupies 8 mm2 area and that's 10 threads operating at 6C x 6Ghz plus 4C at 4.5Ghz instead of 6C at 5.9Ghz+25%, or 20% more perf/area.

1720257635682.png

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I'm in a market for a new CPU when the single thread score will be more than 1700 points. Until then... good luck.

Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
As you said for Intel CPU 80% result without SMT is 20% loss or 25% gain for 15% area which is physically removed now though. Pcore 6C x6.0Ghz occupies 39 mm2 instead of 45, when a low-power island cluser of 4E occupies 8 mm2 area and that's 10 threads operating at 6C x 6Ghz plus 4C at 4.5Ghz instead of 6C at 5.9Ghz+25%, or 20% more perf/area.

View attachment 354213
I will need to see independent testing to see if they were really able to make up for the massive loss of performance. There sure will be perf regressions under some conditions, and just testing the top 10 games and Adobe software are going to be exactly what Intel would demand the tech-tubers, and the paid shills/advertisers like Cutress do to push positive stories and reviews.

Last edited:
I will need to see independent testing to see if they were really able to make up for the massive loss of performance. There sure will be perf regressions under some conditions, and just testing the top 10 games and Adobe software are going to be exactly what Intel would demand the tech-tubers, and the paid shills/advertisers like Cutress do to push positive stories and reviews.
Looking at the recent news, ARL might only need one thing to beat RPL: not being fucked on an architectural level. It turns out the instability issues of 13th and 14th gen are deeper, it's not just about the CPU being pushed too hard, the design itself might be faulty, and not fixable with microcode updates :D

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
If this is relevant to what actually happens, I feel it will make it a better balanced processor.

Single core performance is still king in mainstream consumer workloads, raptor lake and alder lake are too emphasised on cinebench type performance which contributes to the amount of energy they can absorb and heat produced.

If you was to offer me today e.g. a 13700k with no HTT support but 25% better single core, snap your hand off.

No, we absolutely do know that HyperThreading is dead in Intel CPUs going forward.
Yep, although I think this sample isnt a 8/16 chip.

Here is some notes from some maths I did.

Code:
695 per logical core multithreaded
538 per logical core multithreaded - 22% loss vs 13900k
882 per logical core multithreaded normalised value 27% increase single core vs 13900k - 39% loss for 538 score - must be less cores HTT isnt that good.

It's interesting that the Intel boys are loving E-cores and are all for the removal of HT. So, you want a downgrade for consoles? Right now they have 8 full-fat cores with 16 threads, and that is the standard, even if you don't like the manufacturer.

Making a PS6 with only 8 cores, 4 normal, 4 castrated for "reasons" and all having HT removed so only 8 threads are supported would be a colossal downgrade, even if those cores were running a 6GHz. Plus, now all games would have to be re-compiled, and backwards compatibility would have to be emulated for the vast majority as performance issues would be prevalent in such a design, and soon that 6GHz will wish it was 12GHz pretty fast!

I don't get why Intel kids hate HT now, Intel invented the bloody thing in the first place! Go and benchmark your system right now, a mix of productivity and gaming, write the results down then go into your BIOS and turn HT off and repeat your benchmarks then come back here and post your honest results. I promise you that many benches, the vast majority would lower by at least 20% with some being affected more.

I don't want to live in your dystopian world where I cream my pants for a 1P 8E CPU, even if it's running at 12GHz!!!

HTT aside from being a complete security mess, are not actual cores, its just an extra thread allowed on the core where the second thread might be able to process something if the first thread is waiting for an i/o response. It works "ok" in specific workloads and is useless in "most" workloads. Its also power inefficient.

E-cores are actual physical cores, even though they not as fast as p-cores they will always offer more performance than a 2nd logical thread even under ideal HTT conditions. Also with e-cores being a different performance class on the windows scheduler, it can automatically move background processes to e-cores whilst keeping foreground processes on the p-cores which offers scheduling advantages. Same as what phones do.

Its nothing to do with fanboyism but rather progress. Not sure why you using terms like intel kids.

Not sure I want a 1P + 8E gaming CPU though, I prefer to keep top end chips as 8P, but no need to go above 8P in my opinion. Anything over that should just be e-cores, and reduce down to 4E from 8E/16E, add cache in the saved silicon and you have a beast of a CPU. Also the N100 which is an e-core only chip is proving very popular in the NUC community, most powerful portable Intel chip I have ever used.

Last edited:
System Name Old friend
Storage BX100 500GB
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
Looking at the recent news, ARL might only need one thing to beat RPL: not being fucked on an architectural level. It turns out the instability issues of 13th and 14th gen are deeper, it's not just about the CPU being pushed too hard, the design itself might be faulty, and not fixable with microcode updates :D
This^

Intel could probably reduce ring ratio and cpu ratio to resolve it the problem at the cost of performance. It won't go over well though since they market to operate higher. Intel's pretty much stuck in a recall scenario no matter what. Consumer will be up in arms no matter what about this situation even if the former is a solution to the outright degradation failure from pushing the hardware itself too far beyond it's reliability means.

System Name Old friend
Storage BX100 500GB
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
Intel could probably reduce ring ratio and cpu ratio to resolve it the problem at the cost of performance. It won't go over well though since they market to operate higher. Intel's pretty much stuck in a recall scenario no matter what. Consumer will be up in arms no matter what about this situation even if the former is a solution to the outright degradation failure from pushing the hardware itself too far beyond it's reliability means.
Sure.