• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Stock Swandives 25% in Friday Trading Spooked by Quarterly Results

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nope, not bringing politics into this thread. I don't need any warning points today.
Has nothing to do with it anyway.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I do think a "little" bit of recession (or slowdown) talk is appropriate given Intel's position as a luxury / quality goods maker.

People buy Intel Xeon because its a high performance server at (what should be) lower power than the competition. But its a bit more $$$$ than ARM or AMD. Of course, AMD has been grossly improving its quality (both performance and watts). So that's a big reason for Intel's seeming decline.

But we probably shouldn't go overboard on economic topics. You're right that by the time I'm posting about M2 and stuff we're too far away from the core topic.

-------

Luxury goods decline as people get worried about their personal finance. People will buy so called "inferior goods", goods that they know are lower-quality but offer a better price-efficiency. So I think Intel is poorly positioned in a hypothetical recession (or slowdown). In contrast, AMD has a reputation for both cheaper and somehow gained a reputation of higher-quality among many enthusiasts... despite coming in at a lower cost. AMD is your traditional "inferior good" (in terms of economics) that would benefit from economic slowdowns.
I don't know if I'd put Intel in a luxury goods category, considering they are still the primary supplier of CPUs that go into workstations. I'd actually argue that is their core business more than ever. PCs just aren't where the excitement is anymore when it comes to personal/luxury use--that's where phones take over. If you're an everyday user, there's nothing really prompting you to upgrade the barely-used home PC unless it finally breaks. People will line up for a new phone way more often. Even in down times, Intel has the means to land in more PCs overall, be they premium or bargain bin. The PC doesn't garner excitement, and I'm guessing MS's PC+Copilot efforts aren't going to move the needle either. Businesses are more likely to leverage AI, and again, this is where Intel is falling woefully short of rivals. Being this far down in the market is people still thinking "AI" will be the next big thing, and Intel doesn't have a lot to show for AI processing power, just a mobile NPU that won't do anything for these GPU/AI server farms going online.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Too bad they rested on their laurels for so long and tossed away their market lead via stagnation. That and the lack of innovation besides slapping on e-cores and pumping wattage through the roof up until their new lake skus. Can’t even find it in me to play my tiny violin.
they got complacent bc of the deals they have w OEMs like lenovo, dell, hp, etc cuz they strongarmed them hard and then intel got complacent cuz they have an easy lock in and look where we are now...

I don't know if I'd put Intel in a luxury goods category, considering they are still the primary supplier of CPUs that go into workstations. I'd actually argue that is their core business more than ever. PCs just aren't where the excitement is anymore when it comes to personal/luxury use--that's where phones take over. If you're an everyday user, there's nothing really prompting you to upgrade the barely-used home PC unless it finally breaks. People will line up for a new phone way more often. Even in down times, Intel has the means to land in more PCs overall, be they premium or bargain bin. The PC doesn't garner excitement, and I'm guessing MS's PC+Copilot efforts aren't going to move the needle either. Businesses are more likely to leverage AI, and again, this is where Intel is falling woefully short of rivals. Being this far down in the market is people still thinking "AI" will be the next big thing, and Intel doesn't have a lot to show for AI processing power, just a mobile NPU that won't do anything for these GPU/AI server farms going online.

In this discussion, there's three kinds of goods on the luxury axis:

* Luxury Goods -- The richer you are, the more you buy
* Normal Goods -- Rich and poor will buy this regardless of their situation
* Inferior Goods -- The poorer you are, the more you buy. (Ex: Cambell's Soup making tons of money during the Great Depression).

I'm looking at Wikipedia, and it seems like "Luxury Goods" are perhaps a bad name and people are seemingly calling this concept a "Superior Good" instead.

-------------

Hmmm... thinking of your post.... maybe Intel is more of a "Normal Good" today, in that people buy them because they need a new computer. Its no longer that "Luxury" or "Superior" reputation they once had. So in that case, economic conditions don't really affect Intel, if they're a normal good. So I guess economics are now off-topic? (LOL).

In this discussion, there's three kinds of goods on the luxury axis:

* Luxury Goods -- The richer you are, the more you buy
* Normal Goods -- Rich and poor will buy this regardless of their situation
* Inferior Goods -- The poorer you are, the more you buy. (Ex: Cambell's Soup making tons of money during the Great Depression).

I'm looking at Wikipedia, and it seems like "Luxury Goods" are perhaps a bad name and people are seemingly calling this concept a "Superior Good" instead.

-------------

Hmmm... thinking of your post.... maybe Intel is more of a "Normal Good" today, in that people buy them because they need a new computer. Its no longer that "Luxury" or "Superior" reputation they once had. So in that case, economic conditions don't really affect Intel, if they're a normal good. So I guess economics are now off-topic? (LOL).
i9 is in the luxury goods range. Apple computers are the same with Microsoft Surface. Well each OEM has some luxury line. Intel lost Apple. They are close to loosing Microsoft. And in the gaming world nVidia has the luxury area of the market the same in the AI world. Intel did some progress with Alchemist, but they are still behind. I doubt Battlemage will be more competitive. And now they will be cutting costs and firing people while nVidia and TSMC will spend a lot to go further ahead. Without investing more money, in a few years Intel foundries will be where GloFo is now and in GPU/AI they will be where they were after abandoning Larrabee and Xeon Phi. They will become fabless CPU designer in the shrinking x86 market.

Exactly. And with Ryzen 9000 coming soon, I don't think Intel will have a viable response. So yeah, expect Intel's stock price to continue to nosedive while AMD goes even higher.

God, I wish I has a damn time machine to go back in time to tell myself of five years ago to buy a shitton of AMD stock.
Would you choose AMD over Nvidia?

Processor Ryzen 6900HX
Memory 32 GB DDR4LP
Video Card(s) Radeon 6800m
Display(s) LG C3 42''
Software Windows 11 home premium
I know that the entire market is effected but it is not that simple. We lost a ton of workers in the Technology space this quarter. Whether in PC, Games or Telco there have been tremendous cuts this quarter. Even my workplace has done reduction and expects that we will be able to automate some processes but AI has no idea what idiosyncrasies are.

AI and Indians are going to replace everyone, and I am not even being humorous.

Would you choose AMD over Nvidia?

Because AMD used to be less than $2 while Nvidia was something like $50. You would have to convince the bank to allow you to take a giant loan to buy Nvidia and tell them that in 12 years they will be bigger than Apple, Google stock combine. I could have bought 10,000 shares of AMD. Also, I have a feeling AMD is going to have it's Nvidia moment soon. I've been slowly buying stock from them anticipating an explosion in a year or so. Their MI300 and 350 is superior to Nvidia, they have the best IGP's, and they keep beating revenue forecasts.

Last edited:
AI and Indians are going to replace everyone, and I am not even being humorous.

Because AMD used to be less than $2 while Nvidia was something like $50. You would have to convince the bank to allow you to take a giant loan to buy Nvidia and tell them that in 12 years they will be bigger than Apple, Google stock combine. I could have bought 10,000 shares of AMD. Also, I have a feeling AMD is going to have it's Nvidia moment soon. I've been slowly buying stock from them anticipating an explosion in a year or so. Their MI300 and 350 is superior to Nvidia, they have the best IGP's, and they keep beating revenue forecasts.
In 2011 a colleague from work bought 1000 bitcoins for less than $1 each. He told me he would sell them at $1000. I told him he was stupid. He was holding them when they were at $100. I changed joba and lost contact with him. I've never invested in crypto, but if I only have listened to him back then...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
i9 is in the luxury goods range. Apple computers are the same with Microsoft Surface. Well each OEM has some luxury line. Intel lost Apple. They are close to loosing Microsoft. And in the gaming world nVidia has the luxury area of the market the same in the AI world. Intel did some progress with Alchemist, but they are still behind. I doubt Battlemage will be more competitive. And now they will be cutting costs and firing people while nVidia and TSMC will spend a lot to go further ahead. Without investing more money, in a few years Intel foundries will be where GloFo is now and in GPU/AI they will be where they were after abandoning Larrabee and Xeon Phi. They will become fabless CPU designer in the shrinking x86 market.
Losing, not loosing

Wrong.

WW1 was a Major Contributing Factor and it was a Bosnian Serb that started the War with Austria-Hungry via assassination, then Russia Backed Serbia, snowball effect.

The us dollar is a vapour bubble currency backed simply by words and promises, or in reality nothing.
We really need currencies that are backed by something real, like gold, or lithium.
For once we agree, our country got fucked because due in part of NAFTA being established, long term damage, what a great fucking idea it was, NOT!

Anyways Intel is reaping what they sowed for all the years of underhanded tactics to undermine competition to try and become a monopoly.

Capitalism without competion is a fallacy which becomes a form of communism

OH THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN!

I don't feel sorry for the Intel corporate head douchebags as they have way more than enough funds, I feel sorry for those who actually do the work involved who are getting cut loose, just to keep the corporate head douchebags bank accounts full (bastard fucktards)

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
The whole "Swandiving" thing would be way funnier if Bob Swan was still the CEO of Intel :roll:

I wonder where Intel would be today if Brian Krzanich hadn't done a Intel Inside™ his secretary. Intel was working on and releasing some pretty solid products during his tenure.

On the upside, I might buy some stock this week.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Something about the higher they are...
The Bigger they are the harder they fall

Anyways I believe we need Cyrix, UMP, Hitachi to release CISC cpus that use AMD64 instruction sets to give a healthy variety of parts. Super Socket 7 was the ideal platform, then Intel had to go proprietary because competition was out doing them

Well, Nvidia is making more money than ever but they are down about 2%. Investors just seem to want to sell tech stocks right now and for AMD to be up does stand out imo.
It is not about how much you make now. People invest based on what they think is the potential of the company. There's been a lot of concerns around the sustainability of spending on more AI hardware because all these AI companies have yet to find a way to make money out of it. Even OpenAI is bleeding cash constantly. So Blackwell is going to be faster, but companies can't just replace their entire AI hardware infrastructure because its sunk cost. Hence, companies will still buy from Nvidia, but its not going to be like a few years back where they are building up their AI infrastructure.

I’m actually wondering how long before we learn the dGPU business is done for. It’s been a huge money loser for years. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s part of the 10B cost reduction. While technically and asset, it’s not exactly worth much on the open market.
It is losing money, but I feel is one area which Intel should absolutely focus on. As you can tell, the likes of AMD and ARM processors have fairly good iGPUs, which they can "bundle" with their CPU sales. This is especially lucrative for the mobile/ laptop space. If Intel goes back to those dumb iGPU, it is not possible for them to achieve low power usage on laptops/ mobile devices powered by Intel chips. GPUs is not always about gaming as there are other usage.

Personally, I don't think Intel will become irrelevant, but will certainly face an uphill climb going forward. All the "time bombs" set by prior CEOs are starting to blow up one after another. The main failures are, (1) sitting on their fab issues for way too long allowing competitors to overtake them, and, (2) sitting on the brand name with little innovation or change, a.k.a. playing it too safe. For example, every generation of CPU is always minor improvements, same number of cores, severely gated features that you need to pay substantial premium to unlock, etc. It was easy money for Intel, until an able competitor starts bucking the trend and throwing massive cores counts and desirable features at a lower price point. I feel the biggest misstep (personal opinion) is for Pat to triple down on fab business. All their competitors are not tied down to a fab, meaning if there's issues with a fab, they have the option to use another. Currently, the issues plaguing Raptor Lake and Intel's decision to use TSMC for their next gen CPU just tells me something is not working well with their fab despite all the fluffy fab numbers, i.e. Intel 4. Like I have been saying it is not the number that counts, but how well it works in the final product. This is going to negatively impact their effort to attract big companies to use their fab, and even if they manage to get some contracts, they won't be able to charge like TSMC. So the fab business is going to be a serious drag to Intel, like GF was for AMD back then. I do think the fab losses will widen because of the ongoing expansion plans, since they need to hire more people, obtain more equipments, and pay for running cost. Those government payouts may be cushioning some of the impact now, so I think the worst is yet to come. As the company looks weaker, it will also translate to higher borrowing cost to finance their investments. So I can understand the need to drastically reduce cost.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
As you can tell, the likes of AMD and ARM processors have fairly good iGPUs, which they can "bundle" with their CPU sales.
Let's not forget that there are a lot of us out there that don't necessarily see the need for raytracing and simply want decent framerates at high enough resolutions and if AMD can deliver an APU that can deliver on that, then they've got a golden goose on their hands.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Let's not forget that there are a lot of us out there that don't necessarily see the need for raytracing and simply want decent framerates at high enough resolutions and if AMD can deliver an APU that can deliver on that, then they've got a golden goose on their hands.

There is never a high enough resolution and refresh, once you have money to spend you would always want something better. 4K 240hz is king of the hill now, but in a few years it will be 8K 240hz.

Last edited:
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
There is never a high enough resolution and refresh, once you have money to spend you would always want something better. 4K 240hz is king of the hill now, but in a few years it will be 8K 240hz.
If I can get 180 FPS at 1440p, I'd be happy.

I don't think Intel have a choice really. Devices are getting smaller, so dGPU is getting less relevant unless you want a desktop replacement. If a laptop can offer some basic gaming support, most people will buy them instead of the chunkier, hotter and power hungrier ones that sound like a vacuum cleaner under load. If Intel drops their GPU focus, I think they will also drop out of the power efficient CPU/ APU race.

Personally, I feel even 1080p looks ok on a laptop where the screen is usually 14 to 16 inches. If I can get anything more than 60 at medium graphic settings, I feel it is good enough for me. High resolution and performance will require a lot more powerful hardware, and is a trade off.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
The Bigger they are the harder they fall

Anyways I believe we need Cyrix, UMP, Hitachi to release CISC cpus that use AMD64 instruction sets to give a healthy variety of parts. Super Socket 7 was the ideal platform, then Intel had to go proprietary because competition was out doing them
We need socketed laptop CPUs again!!!

Imma make a laptop brand and have every single cpu option ever!!

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
If I can get 180 FPS at 1440p, I'd be happy.

Well I was happy with 1440p 144hz, about 10 years ago :D, now my next passion is 4K 240hz (currently using LG OLED C4 144hz)

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Well I was happy with 1440p 144hz, about 10 years ago :D
Some of us aren’t greedy. And to add to it, a lot of us don’t have an unlimited bank account balance.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
We need socketed laptop CPUs again!!!

Imma make a laptop brand and have every single cpu option ever!!
We need true laptops like my Dell XPS Gen 1 (Inspiron 9100), that Text Book Sized unit kept a P4 Gallatin Core (Northwoord Extreme) 3.4, 2G DDR, 7200RPM 100GB Hitachi HDD, ATi Mobility Radeon 9800 (Desktop 9700 Pro/9800 R423) GPU cool and heck the GPU was Overclocked, this was in 2004!

A Thicker Hefty Clevo built like the XPS Gen 1 Chassis but modular would be a Good Idea
Ray tracing was an idea in 2004 that supposedly was going to revolutionize graphics, it's a steaming pile of horse poop today and nothing but a stupid gimmick.

Then again only a fool is parted with their money quickly.

Last edited:
AMD stock was basically ~$30 and Nvidia's stock was $4 dollars five years ago. I would choose Nvidia's stock over AMD if we are talking going back five years ago.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
More drama:
Haha, this video is insane. Go the 44:50 minute mark. Look at how quickly he scrolled over this graph. I wonder why :roll: :roll: