• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Won't Follow Yearly Release Cadence with Steam Deck, Holds Until "Generational Leap in Compute"

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
In an interview with Reviews.org, Valve's designers Lawrence Yang and Yazan Aldehayyat discussed the Steam Deck. They talked about the console's future and confirmed that it will not have a yearly release schedule like most handheld console makers. Usually, makers of handheld PCs and gaming consoles like ASUS with its ROG Ally, GPD with its Pocket, Lenovo with Legion GO, and many others follow a yearly update structure of its products to put the latest and greatest chipsets into their products. However, Valve is taking a more conservative approach to updating its famous Steam Deck console.

"We're not going to do a bump every year," said Lawrence Yang, adding that "There's no reason to do that. And, honestly, from our perspective, that's kind of not really fair to your customers to come out with something so soon that's only incrementally better. So we really do want to wait for a generational leap in compute without sacrificing battery life before we ship the real second generation of Steam Deck. But it is something that we're excited about and we're working on." The infamous successor to the original Steam Deck, Steam Deck 2, is currently shrouded in mystery. We don't have much information about the hardware that will power it, nor is there a release date. However, as Valve notes, it will be a "generational leap in compute" bringing more gaming capability to the platform. With many competitors releasing handheld gaming consoles, we are expecting Valve to come out with a new console soon.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
It would be nice if all hardware manufacturers had the same approach. Who needs a 5% faster CPU anyway?

If you have the audacity to call the new generation "new", then at least make sure that it is (looking at you, AMD, Intel and Nvidia).

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i hope valve keeps some stuff the same like... screen resolution, panel type and overall similar feel and design of the steam deck...
i dont mind if the next steam deck comes 4 years later... but i do wish it has more vram, ram

System Name My PC
Processor AMD 2700 x @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming
Cooling Zalman CNPS20X
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE
Storage Adata Ultimate SU800
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A
Audio Device(s) Logitech G51
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 550W
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121
Just a caution - a few months (less than 2) b4 Steam deck Oled was released - they said the same thing.

System Name Steam Deck LCD | AluMaster
Processor AMD Van Gogh 4-Core 8-Threads | Core i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Stock | GB G1 X99 Gaming
Cooling Stock + MX4 Thermal Paste | Thermalright Macho + 2x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 16GB DDR5 5500 | 32GB DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) AMD Van Gogh 8 CUs | RTX 3060 Ti Undervolt + OC @ 120W
Storage 512GB NVMe + 512GB MicroSD | 512GB M.2 NVMe + 480GB SATA SSD
Display(s) 7" 800p (Deck) | LG 34" Ultrawide + 27" both 75Hz | 58" UHD TV
Case Stock + Airflow Backplate (5C less and a lot less noise) | Jonsbo RM2 Alu ATX 20L
Audio Device(s) Jabra Elite 65T Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply Stock | FSP 500W SFX
Mouse Logitech MX-Master 3 Bluetooth | PS4 controller (because gyro)
Keyboard Logitech MX-Keys Bluetooth
Software SteamOS | Windows 10 IoT
I like this approach. It's the same concepts consoles use. You don't see a new PS or Xbox every year.
I personally don't like smartphone companies are doing. This overproduction produces way too much e-waste.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Cooling corsair h150i
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
I like this approach. It's the same concepts consoles use. You don't see a new PS or Xbox every year.
I personally don't like smartphone companies are doing. This overproduction produces way too much e-waste.
but the ceo's need money for their next property or private jets

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't either, but I blame consumers, not the companies. No one forces anyone to "upgrade" every year (although I fail to see how taking out a new phone contract every year constitutes an "upgrade").

Personally, I only buy a new phone when the current one's battery has given up.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor Intel Core i5 12600H
Motherboard MinisForum NAB6 Lite Board
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Apacer 16GB 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Intel Iris Xe Graphics
Storage Kingston 512GB SSD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case MinisForum NAB6 Lite Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w External Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
I'm just waiting for AMD's Strix Halo to be normalized, might take a few years but they'll get there.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
Of course they're not following a yearly cadence. The Steam Deck will be turning 3 years old next February and they haven't even announced a successor.

As for generational leap compute, my guess would be they're waiting for AMD to release SoCs with UDNA/RDNA5 at N3. Doubling or tripling performance at the same 10W TDP should be attainable at that point.

Processor Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD
Memory 64GB (2X 32GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 60000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO 24GB
Storage WD SN850X 4TB NVMe / Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
Display(s) Asus PG43UQ / Samsung 32" UJ590
Case Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Just a caution - a few months (less than 2) b4 Steam deck Oled was released - they said the same thing.
True, but the performance overall was pretty much identical to the original. The OLED one had a more consistent frame rate and in some games better lows, but other than that, the performance was the same. Yes, it had faster Wi-Fi and plenty of other changes, but if a game developer was targeting a certain performance with the original deck, the OLED would be the same.

It’s as if it's like a PS5 vs a PS5 Pro.

mikesg

The moment LPDDR6 comes out in 2025-2026, APUs will see a huge jump....

GPUs with GDDR6 instead of GDDR5 have a 10% boost, but seeing as the memory is shared with the CPU it may be more.

How else can you squeeze more performance at 15w?

I think RDNA4-based SoC can really offer a huge bump to performance here compared to the current Steam OLED, alongside more MT/s for the RAM since it's going to be available and more compatible with newer ZEN cores (which is crucial since both video and system RAM are shared here and video need speed).

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Cooling corsair h150i
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i think the lcd and oled has other more consistent issues, like I have heard quite a lot of problems with its micro as slot… I’ve seen it doesn’t read certain cards, corrupt the data etc

Don't expect a Steam Deck 2 for another 2 years. It's basically a portable console with laptop capabilities added in. So I don't get it why people want a new version now when it can play just about anything except the latest triple A titles.

There isn't a generational gap nor was that a year ago. Heck Valve wants to be sure that RDNA4 will even be what AMD says it will be. a way more power efficient GPU. Don't forget the deck is based on Zen2 with RDNA already. They want something to be at least twice as powerful and probably more like 3 times more powerful than the current deck. You need to see the Steam Deck more as a console (with the release frames to match) and less as a PC/laptop kind of thing.

i think the lcd and oled has other more consistent issues, like I have heard quite a lot of problems with its micro as slot… I’ve seen it doesn’t read certain cards, corrupt the data etc
You're mistaken it for a RoG Ally. The biggest issue with the steam deck is that you need to remove the sd card when you open it up. Many SD cards were broken in half because people forget to pull them out before they open the Deck. The RoG Ally has known issues however with the SD card reader to blatantly not working at all. However I believe newer versions have been updated.

It would be nice if all hardware manufacturers had the same approach. Who needs a 5% faster CPU anyway?

If you have the audacity to call the new generation "new", then at least make sure that it is (looking at you, AMD, Intel and Nvidia).

Nvidia doesn't below lumped into this really. Their generations have been 2-3 years apart, always using new designs and lithography to move the bar significantly each gen, around +30% per gen is solid enough. Meanwhile their cost on pricing tiers have jumped too so we are certainly paying for it.

Intel and AMD on the other hand have been a joke the last few gens at more like 5-10%. I'm actually glad they focused more on power effiency so at least there is something interesting happening for CPUs. X3D was another jump but mainly just because Ryzen was so cache starved beforehand. We're at the point with 8c/16t CPUs that no average end user can possibly use more threads than this (that isn't doing workstation compute tasks), they have nowhere to go with clock speeds either, so they are a stalemate since it seems very difficult to make large IPC gains.

I think RDNA4-based SoC can really offer a huge bump to performance here compared to the current Steam OLED, alongside more MT/s for the RAM since it's going to be available and more compatible with newer ZEN cores (which is crucial since both video and system RAM are shared here and video need speed).
Will have to see. You can clearly see with the ROG Ally that the newer generations clearly scale well, but only with higher power draw.
If RDNA4 continues this trend (or scales similarly with the power budget of the Ally) there's isn't that large of a jump as Valve seems committed to occupy the low power segment only.