• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Won't Follow Yearly Release Cadence with Steam Deck, Holds Until "Generational Leap in Compute"

I dont get the recent push to abandon x86 for arm. x86 has backwards compatibility, arms instruction set completely changes every few years. arm seems like a step backwards for everything but mobile devices that get replaced on a contract.
id rather have x86 where i can still open documents made in windows 3 and retrieve data if needed or where my 15 year old phenom ii can still boot windows and linux and run some modern games.
ARM on desktop seems like one of those corporations manufacturing consent situations to get you to buy into a locked in platform where you are forced to buy new hardware.
We are talking about a portable gaming device here and not a desktop. So hence get rid of it. x86 also has it's share of problems and is a dinosaur.

Tripwired

I don't either, but I blame consumers, not the companies. No one forces anyone to "upgrade" every year (although I fail to see how taking out a new phone contract every year constitutes an "upgrade").

Personally, I only buy a new phone when the current one's battery has given up.
I agree no one is forced too. The power of advertising and marketing however affects us all in some manner.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I agree no one is forced too. The power of advertising and marketing however affects us all in some manner.
It tends to affect me by triggering a laugh these days.

For example, when the new iPhone 16 Pro advert talked about the thing having a dedicated camera button, I just thought "hey, my £120 Sony Ericsson button phone had that 15 years ago". :roll:

The point is, advertising doesn't affect you in any way if you apply a little bit of critical thinking.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Good luck playing 2026 games on that junk.
You must be mad to expect to be playing AAA games for two more years on a £350 handheld console with a 15 W APU in it.

Processor Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD
Memory 64GB (2X 32GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 60000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO 24GB
Storage WD SN850X 4TB NVMe / Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
Display(s) Asus PG43UQ / Samsung 32" UJ590
Case Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro 22H2
You must be mad to expect to be playing AAA games for two more years on a £350 handheld console with a 15 W APU in it.
And even the current Ally would struggle as well by 2026.
Good luck playing 2026 games on that junk.
The deck isn't just about running the latest AAA games which is a nice bonus if it can run them, it's more for playing much older titles or even AAA games that would be a couple of years old now.

Steam Deck lacks RAM and the chip is showing its age, especially compared to Z1 Extreme devices that can crank out more performance just by increasing the power. It was an excellent start for portable PC gaming, but the Steam Deck has fallen well behind the competition at this point.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
Steam Deck lacks RAM and the chip is showing its age, especially compared to Z1 Extreme devices that can crank out more performance just by increasing the power. It was an excellent start for portable PC gaming, but the Steam Deck has fallen well behind the competition at this point.
Not on price, though. I'd still choose the Steam Deck over anything else because it's more than enough for what a handheld device should be used for, imo. AAA games are meant for the big screen.

I dont get the recent push to abandon x86 for arm. x86 has backwards compatibility, arms instruction set completely changes every few years. arm seems like a step backwards for everything but mobile devices that get replaced on a contract.
id rather have x86 where i can still open documents made in windows 3 and retrieve data if needed or where my 15 year old phenom ii can still boot windows and linux and run some modern games.
ARM on desktop seems like one of those corporations manufacturing consent situations to get you to buy into a locked in platform where you are forced to buy new hardware.
Because it is a portable device, ARM has much better power efficiency in lower wattage use cases.

ARM CPUs today run software designed for ARM CPUs 10 years ago just fine.

System Name Nirn
Processor Amd Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X670e
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 128 GB Kingston DDR5 6000 (running at 4000)
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 7900XTX (24G) + Geforce 4070ti (12G) Physx
Storage SAMSUNG 990 EVO SSD 2TB Gen 5 x2 (OS)+SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 3.0x4 (Primocache) +2X 22TB WD Gold
Display(s) Samsung UN55NU8000 (Freesync)
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T White
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster AE-7 + Sennheiser GSP600
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 Titanium
Mouse Razer Mamba Elite Wired
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma v1
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
Because it is a portable device, ARM has much better power efficiency in lower wattage use cases.

ARM CPUs today run software designed for ARM CPUs 10 years ago just fine.
how much of that efficiency goes out the window when you have to emulate legacy software? if we are going to be running 3 emulation layers on top of each other to get games working then i doubt the ISA is making that much of a difference.

how much of that efficiency goes out the window when you have to emulate legacy software? if we are going to be running 3 emulation layers on top of each other to get games working then i doubt the ISA is making that much of a difference.

Doesn't matter. None of these portables are able to properly run AAA games to make it worth it for that purpose. They run past gen and indie games just fine though. They fail as portables though as their battery life is trash and they are bulky. x86 is the Achilles Heel of these devices and having your PC games on a portable device with respectable battery life in a reasonable form factor is doomed as long as it is attached to the dumpster fire that is x86. Furthermore modern or current AAA gaming is never going to work on any sort of portable PC device. Anybody who thinks that's going to happen was dropped on their head and is smoking crack. The reality is the games are designed and tuned for consoles and x86 (especially with Windows) is such dumpster fire of fail and bad that the only way it does work on the PC is by setting money on fire and brute forcing it on a full size desktop which will never be able to fully or even properly use the hardware because of the utter shit show that is Windows + x86.

It's not a Valve problem, it's a PC gaming problem that is simply not going to go away. The PC is a crippled hot mess of a platform. If you are serious about your Steam Library On The Go than you're going to have to write off modern AAA games and Valve is going to have to get it going over ARM.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Why do 202X AAA games matter? they only are a tiny part of the steam library.

I didnt get my steam deck to play wukong, thats a big screen game.

Great for indie platformers, turn based games, strategy games, board games, card games,, those sort of games

Great for indie platformers, turn based games, strategy games, board games, card games,, those sort of games
Then Valve should market it as a "way back machine" then...

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
And that's great. But where on the box does it say that is all the Steam Deck can do?
It doesnt, but neither does any other gaming product.

They don't. There is no way in hell that is ever going to happen on a portable gaming PC until PC gaming leads the transition to the cloud. Eventually that will happen, till then it won't.

But since it's not going to happen there is no sense being stuck with the crappy form factor and battery life that x86 is forcing on it along with all the other x86 baggage.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
They don't. There is no way in hell that is ever going to happen on a portable gaming PC until PC gaming leads the transition to the cloud. Eventually that will happen, till then it won't.

But since it's not going to happen there is no sense being stuck with the crappy form factor and battery life that x86 is forcing on it along with all the other x86 baggage.
I personally think devices like the steam deck and switch are bigger marvels than a GPU the size of about 4 bricks.

Both devices also I think have pretty impressive battery life for what they do (tegra vs AMD), as an example my steam deck has better on screen time than my sister's iphone. Take into account it is a far bigger screen and actually running a game.

When we talk about ARM it has to be done in a apple to apple way, how long does a phone stay powered up for on battery when you run a 3d game on it and keep it in the foreground with the screen on?

x86 can be efficient, its just we are used to desktop SKUs going right up to the top of the efficiency curve.

I personally think devices like the steam deck and switch are bigger marvels than a GPU the size of about 4 bricks.

Both devices also I think have pretty impressive battery life for what they do (tegra vs AMD), as an example my steam deck has better on screen time than my sister's iphone. Take into account it is a far bigger screen and actually running a game.

When we talk about ARM it has to be done in a apple to apple way, how long does a phone stay powered up for on battery when you run a 3d game on it and keep it in the foreground with the screen on?

x86 can be efficient, its just we are used to desktop SKUs going right up to the top of the efficiency curve.
My iPhone, iPad, and Switch all get better battery life than the Steam Deck regardless of what I am doing with any of them. Though TBH I don't even use the SD much anymore as it's really a silly device so my niece who's in elementary school has it and she doesn't use it really either. It's one of those things like the Oculus where it's cool for a couple hours and then you realize it's an idiotic device with no real purpose and it sucks.

Switch on the other hand got so much use that we got an OLED Switch just to have two. Same with the iPad.

System Name My PC
Processor AMD 2700 x @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming
Cooling Zalman CNPS20X
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE
Storage Adata Ultimate SU800
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A
Audio Device(s) Logitech G51
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 550W
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121
True, but the performance overall was pretty much identical to the original. The OLED one had a more consistent frame rate and in some games better lows, but other than that, the performance was the same. Yes, it had faster Wi-Fi and plenty of other changes, but if a game developer was targeting a certain performance with the original deck, the OLED would be the same.

It’s as if it's like a PS5 vs a PS5 Pro.

I know but i bet the ones that bought the LCD version b4 OLED came out virtually un-announced at the same price as the Oled were not too happy.
I actually did not know about the other changes (because handhelds are not my interest), but that makes it more disingenuous.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Nvidia doesn't below lumped into this really. Their generations have been 2-3 years apart, always using new designs and lithography to move the bar significantly each gen, around +30% per gen is solid enough. Meanwhile their cost on pricing tiers have jumped too so we are certainly paying for it.

Intel and AMD on the other hand have been a joke the last few gens at more like 5-10%. I'm actually glad they focused more on power effiency so at least there is something interesting happening for CPUs. X3D was another jump but mainly just because Ryzen was so cache starved beforehand. We're at the point with 8c/16t CPUs that no average end user can possibly use more threads than this (that isn't doing workstation compute tasks), they have nowhere to go with clock speeds either, so they are a stalemate since it seems very difficult to make large IPC gains.
It's also much easier to get a large performance increase out of GPUs; the class of problems that runs well on them is embarrassingly parallel. After all, even the RDNA3 flagship is 50% faster than the RDNA2 equivalent.

The difference in battery life isn't about x86 vs ARM. It has to do with the immense difference in experience designing for very low idle power.