• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1920 x 1080.....on a 32" MONITOR, not TV

So may I ask-------how is gaming

So may I ask, how is gaming on the 27" at 1920 x 1080? I'm guessing it's great.

But reading text? I'm guessing not so great? Due to LCD interpolation?

Yep, pretty much spot on. For gaming, it is perfect! (It's a Benq XL2720Z)

On the desktop, the text size is perfect. But compared to a crt, at the same dot pixel pitch, it's a little less defined.

Still quite readable for extended periods, but I would go for a smaller dot pixel pitch if I was reading alot of text/using a lcd as my everyday computer. i.e. I would go a 32 inch 1440p, or 24 inch 1920p, then up the text size a touch.

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a 8-year old, 24" LG monitor with M-PVA panel. I play most of my games and perform daily computing in 1920 x 1200 (16:10). This monitor has a 8ms response time

Recently it (finally) occurred to me that small text at 1920 x 1200 is pretty hard to read, even though 1920 x 1200 is the "native" resolution of 24" monitor. Case in point, text in System Shock 2 or Titan Quest at such resolution is virtually impossible to read.

Hence I'm looking at getting this monitor: Samsung S32D850T. Sorry I can't paste URLs here as forum wouldn't let me. It's basically a 32" monitor with a 5ms response time, native resolution being 2560 x 1440 (16:9)

BUT my plan is to use 1920 x 1080 (16:9) on this 32" monitor, for both gaming and daily computing. The whole idea is to display the same amount of pixels in a larger amount oh physical space, resulting in a larger pixel pitch, thus easier on the eyes.

Will this plan work? Or will I be experiencing a "blurry" look? I *am* OK with dealing with a pixelated look, but cannot deal with a interpolated "blurry" look, if this makes any sense?

Please pitch in to enlighten me, before I drop $700 on this monitor, thanks in advance!

Just re-read your original post.

The main thing you don't want to do is use a non native resolution. So downsizing a 1440p monitor to run at 1080p won't look great.

It will still work, and be quite readable, but it won't look as good, including graphics in games.

I think you really need to go to a local store, or a friends house, that has a recent lcd (monitor), and have a look to see which way you want to go. Old lcd's differ a little in terms of clearness. But it's inherent in lcd's that the text isn't completely perfect.

I would think that if you compared your current lcd with a recent lcd, you would find that text would be a bit clearer.

One thing I should note is that I only know about TN panels. An IPS panel might be clearer? Google might help you on that one, or someone else could chime in and let us know?

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:

frostdiamond

Just re-read your original post.

The main thing you don't want to do is use a non native resolution. So downsizing a 1440p monitor to run at 1080p won't look great.

It will still work, and be quite readable, but it won't look as good, including graphics in games.

I think you really need to go to a local store, or a friends house, that has a recent lcd (monitor), and have a look to see which way you want to go. Old lcd's differ a little in terms of clearness. But it's inherent in lcd's that the text isn't completely perfect.

I would think that if you compared your current lcd with a recent lcd, you would find that text would be a bit clearer.

One thing I should note is that I only know about TN panels. An IPS panel might be clearer? Google might help you on that one, or someone else could chime in and let us know?

Cheers :)

Hey man, that's exactly what I'm going to do-------check out and play with different LCDs in different resolutions at local BestBuy / computer stores.

I guess I came from the old days when 800 x 600 still looked OK on a 17" CRT when 1024 x 767 was its "native". I guess things just aren't the same with LCDs. The reason for my post is because I find text at 24" native (1920 x 1080) is too small to read, hence I'd like to read at such resolution on a larger monitor, but this doesn't quite work with LCDs, as it it would've, with CRTs.

frostdiamond

If your budget is $700, then the 27" benq is actually $100 cheaper, and the 2nd best choice for gaming (only the new rog swift is better, but its around $400 more, and it's 1440p at 27").

Here is 2 thorough reviews of both panel,

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2720z.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

We could actually get the BENQ for $450 here

http://www.ncix.com/detail/benq-xl2720z-27in-led-144hz-b7-92842.htm

And the SWIFT uses 2560 x 1440 as its native, so I'm going to skip that (remember I wanted a large dot pitch)

Both panels are TN, whereas I prefer IPS. I'm going to check out display models at retail shops and post here again!

YES, please do let me know your feed back. If you could try running 1920 x 1080 on your 32", and let me know what you see? Thanks man!

I just changed desktop resolution for you, from 2500x1400 to 1900x1000. Text is perfect. This Benq BL3200PT is a Pro/CAD monitor, might have better drawing features than baseline gaming and surfing monitors, because the quality I am seeing in everything is amazing. And its reported slowness I notice it more in fast scroling in photos than in gaming.

frostdiamond

I just changed desktop resolution for you, from 2500x1400 to 1900x1000. Text is perfect. This Benq BL3200PT is a Pro/CAD monitor, might have better drawing features than baseline gaming and surfing monitors, because the quality I am seeing in everything is amazing. And its reported slowness I notice it more in fast scroling in photos than in gaming.

Thank you sir very much for feedback. I shall report back with my own feed back once I pick up a 32"!