• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FiiO K9 Pro ESS Desktop DAC & Amplifier

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
FiiO updated its flagship desktop DAC/amplifier with dual ESS Sabre ES9038PRO DACs, and the new K9 Pro ESS has some more quality-of-life improvements sweetening the deal. This is an excellent set with features including powerful, clean wired performance, extensive I/O support, and a mobile app with further customization options!

Show full review

I'd like to read a review of a DAC that supports headsets, rather than just headphones. A mic input would be good.

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500

kha

@VSG Is this as good as RME ADI-2 DAC FS ? The price isn't much higher and if you find a good offer the price is almost the same.

I'd like to read a review of a DAC that supports headsets, rather than just headphones. A mic input would be good.

Check MAYFLOWER ARC mk2, you can find reviews online.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@VSG Is this as good as RME ADI-2 DAC FS ? The price isn't much higher and if you find a good offer the price is almost the same.
No experience with the RME DAC, but remember this is a combo DAC and amplifier too and the RME offering appears to be a fantastic DAC only.

Jeez, $850 for that is good value now? Audiophiles... :kookoo::p

Dang, I didn't know there are USB DAC's Interface Headphone Amp's with mic inputs out there. o_O Looks like there are quite some around:

So do they work like a soundcard? Can you regulate your voice from the mic on your headphones, push to talk keybinds & no reverb like you would get if you use a DAC & connect a mic to the back of your PC?
I get a headache reading posts about audio gear sometimes... Those labels (DAC/amp/soundcard/interface/...) are mostly just marketing terms and don't tell you clearly what a product can do, or if it's is good for your purpose. Ignore the market segmentation talk and just look at the specs. Decide what you need in terms of inputs/outputs and work from there. And don't expect something to sound better just because it costs hundreds of dollars. Apple's USB soundcard (some call it "dongle", others call it "DAC"...) performs great in most cases and it costs $9 (nine dollars!). Your motherboard's onboard audio maybe does too...
Anyway, most "interfaces" don't have a 3.5mm mic input, which is what you're probably using (but some interfaces do!).

No experience with the RME DAC, but remember this is a combo DAC and amplifier too and the RME offering appears to be a fantastic DAC only.
Just to clarify: the Fiio has a headphone amp and the RME has a headphone amp too. Neither of them have a speaker amp, however.
The difference is that the Fiio also has a line input, whereas the RME doesn't and maybe that's what you meant by it "being an amplifier". I guess I'm continuing my rant about these labels not being very informative.

Last edited:
Jeez, $850 for that is good value now? Audiophiles... :kookoo::p

I get a headache reading posts about audio gear sometimes... Those labels (DAC/amp/soundcard/interface/...) are mostly just marketing terms and don't tell you clearly what a product can do, or if it's is good for your purpose. Ignore the market segmentation talk and just look at the specs. Decide what you need in terms of inputs/outputs and work from there. And don't expect something to sound better just because it costs hundreds of dollars. Apple's USB soundcard (some call it "dongle", others call it "DAC"...) performs great in most cases and it costs $9 (nine dollars!). Your motherboard's onboard audio maybe does too...
Anyway, most "interfaces" don't have a 3.5mm mic input, which is what you're probably using (but some interfaces do!).

Just to clarify: the Fiio has a headphone amp and the RME has a headphone amp too. Neither of them have a speaker amp, however.
The difference is that the Fiio also has a line input, whereas the RME doesn't and maybe that's what you meant by it "being an amplifier". I guess I'm continuing my rant about these labels not being very informative.
Raising eyebrows on your statement about the $9 Apple dongle sounding 'great'. Great is not quantifiable by any means and it costs $9 for a reason. Noise, harmonics, dynamic range, etc. are, however. That is why other solutions cost more.

Raising eyebrows on your statement about the $9 Apple dongle sounding 'great'. Great is not quantifiable by any means and it costs $9 for a reason. Noise, harmonics, dynamic range, etc. are, however. That is why other solutions cost more.
Here are some objective measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

I think 113dB of SNR is pretty damn good for music playback. So is 99dB of SINAD. And so is the low output impedance for headphones.
So, yes, I think it's going to sound great in most cases. Not in all cases, because if you have demanding headphones that need a lot of power, it's obviously too weak, for example. But regular 32 Ohm headphones are going to sound just fine. Same if you're using it as a line out into a speaker amp... the amp is likely to be the bottleneck in terms of noise.

The Apple dongle is cheap, because it's mass produced and because it's frankly kinda fragile and also limited in functionality (it does have a mic input, though). But I don't think the price says anything about how well it sounds, compared to the expensive stuff.

There's a point in audio where something performs well enough that it's audibly transparent, which means that even if you get gear which is objectively better in measurements, it won't result in an audible improvement. 150dB SNR is objectively better than 140dB SNR, for example, but does it matter in practice, for human ears listening to music? Nope, it sounds the same, because we can't hear the noise in either case.
Where exactly is this cutoff for "good enough" is hard to say, also because it depends on several factors. That's why I don't make absolute statements and use some disclaimers. But I encourage people to explore this before wasting money on things that don't matter.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Creative also has a full fledged external sound card, and a few dac for gaming...

Reactions: VSG
Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
Here are some objective measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

I think 113dB of SNR is pretty damn good for music playback. So is 99dB of SINAD. And so is the low output impedance for headphones.
So, yes, I think it's going to sound great in most cases. Not in all cases, because if you have demanding headphones that need a lot of power, it's obviously too weak, for example. But regular 32 Ohm headphones are going to sound just fine. Same if you're using it as a line out into a speaker amp... the amp is likely to be the bottleneck in terms of noise.

The Apple dongle is cheap, because it's mass produced and because it's frankly kinda fragile and also limited in functionality (it does have a mic input, though). But I don't think the price says anything about how well it sounds, compared to the expensive stuff.

There's a point in audio where something performs well enough that it's audibly transparent, which means that even if you get gear which is objectively better in measurements, it won't result in an audible improvement. 150dB SNR is objectively better than 140dB SNR, for example, but does it matter in practice, for human ears listening to music? Nope, it sounds the same, because we can't hear the noise in either case.
Where exactly is this cutoff for "good enough" is hard to say, also because it depends on several factors. That's why I don't make absolute statements and use some disclaimers. But I encourage people to explore this before wasting money on things that don't matter.

I really like using that site and have seen that exact review of the Apple dongle. For the price, very good results. I also agree quite a bit about where does one draw the line at "good enough". It seems a very subjective quality that will vary from person to person, sometimes greatly. I mentioned in the comments of the K5 Pro review that I've recently purchased the FiiO New K3 and paired it with the Sony MDR-7506 and I absolutely love the results. While I'm still tempted by the measurements / performance of the Topping DX3 Pro+, I simply can't justify spending any more on the setup. Maybe I would hear some difference but again, I'm pretty damn happy where I'm at and don't want to free-fall down the rabbit hole.

if it's just for gaming there is this one https://www.schiit.com/products/hel-1

I was going to mention that same Schiit (Hel).

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
I had at one point a fiio E10K and it had inferior quality to that of my creative sound card, listening from the soundcard, was more satisfying, so i sold the dac...

I had at one point a fiio E10K and it had inferior quality to that of my creative sound card, listening from the soundcard, was more satisfying, so i sold the dac...

The thing is this stuff is all over the map. I own more than a few DACs, AMPs, DAC/AMP units, USB audio interfaces and blah blah. Some of it is subjective, some of it is what you are listening to as well. A good example is to move over to headphones. There are some headphones that are tuned to various types of music, or say movies, or say gaming. Expect accordingly. I gave up on creative for their software a while back.
There's an issue with this really. Most "gaming headsets" now connect via USB, wireless, or come with a dedicated DAC (it's a soundcard) module. Which means they will never actually need one. Then you have an issue where most people who care enough to spend the money on a DAC are going to use headphones so they aren't interested in a USB soundcard. Most of the DACs with mic inputs are professional grade audio interfaces that cost a lot and you don't need.

There are exceptions, schitt and creative are dropped here but let me add two more.

https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/products/gsx-1000-gaming-amplifier-1000237

Epos was sennheiser

if it's just for gaming there is this one https://www.schiit.com/products/hel-1
I have this and it's fun.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
The thing is this stuff is all over the map. I own more than a few DACs, AMPs, DAC/AMP units, USB audio interfaces and blah blah. Some of it is subjective, some of it is what you are listening to as well. A good example is to move over to headphones. There are some headphones that are tuned to various types of music, or say movies, or say gaming. Expect accordingly. I gave up on creative for their software a while back.

There's an issue with this really. Most "gaming headsets" now connect via USB, wireless, or come with a dedicated DAC (it's a soundcard) module. Which means they will never actually need one. Then you have an issue where most people who care enough to spend the money on a DAC are going to use headphones so they aren't interested in a USB soundcard. Most of the DACs with mic inputs are professional grade audio interfaces that cost a lot and you don't need.

There are exceptions, schitt and creative are dropped here but let me add two more.

https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/products/gsx-1000-gaming-amplifier-1000237

Epos was sennheiser

I have this and it's fun.
Schitt is very interesting, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get things shipped to EU...
Regarding a talk about Apple usb DAC\dongle, I currently use a Samsung one, it sounds pretty good but it lacks power to drive normal IEMS, usualy to get any decent volume out of it requires maxing the output, so I looked into alternatives and a creative one popped out, it's the SXFI AMP and I'm curious to try it out at 50€...

Schitt is very interesting, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get things shipped to EU...
Regarding a talk about Apple usb DAC\dongle, I currently use a Samsung one, it sounds pretty good but it lacks power to drive normal IEMS, usualy to get any decent volume out of it requires maxing the output, so I looked into alternatives and a creative one popped out, it's the SXFI AMP and I'm curious to try it out at 50€...
I bought some schiit gear (from Italy).
once I got the modi multibit from their site and aside from shipping cost+taxes it all went fine.
The easier option is definitely buying used from the EU like on ebay and similar sites, I got the asgard 3 that way. (there are also some EU retailers but they don't get many pieces)

So yeah, it's possible to buy them from the EU but it's more expensive and a bit more hassle, you can probably find easier alternatives from brands like topping and other Chinese brands.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
I bought some schiit gear (from Italy).
once I got the modi multibit from their site and aside from shipping cost+taxes it all went fine.
The easier option is definitely buying used from the EU like on ebay and similar sites, I got the asgard 3 that way. (there are also some EU retailers but they don't get many pieces)

So yeah, it's possible to buy them from the EU but it's more expensive and a bit more hassle, you can probably find easier alternatives from brands like topping and other Chinese brands.
That's the problem , the extra taxes and stuff...
Indeed many alternatives, more or less chinese and expensive...
Like ifi...
One good place to visit is https://www.whathifi.com/ or https://www.headfonia.com/

Sennheiser/EPOS makes a good one as well as they make some of the better gaming headsets that don't connect directly by standard USB and instead us 3.5.

Another good idea is to look into USB-C ones which are made for smartphones and support both mic and headphones over a single 3.5, and then adapter your dual headphone connectors to a single.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Schiit ships to UK, Europe, Asia and Australia all the time. They even have a power plug selection on the item's respective pages. I'm using a Schiit Modius DAC with a SMSL sp200 amp and I love it... Especially the balanced inputs/outputs on the Modius for the price.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Schiit ships to UK, Europe, Asia and Australia all the time. They even have a power plug selection on the item's respective pages. I'm using a Schiit Modius DAC with a SMSL sp200 amp and I love it... Especially the balanced inputs/outputs on the Modius for the price.

What would worry me is paying massive customs fee...

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Was bored tonight and had another reason to dig out my FLIR camera too, so I decided to see exactly how warm the K9 Pro ESS gets and whether those vents on the side help:

1660079446838.jpeg
1660079452359.jpeg

So yeah, the internals get warm enough to where the updated enclosure helps.