• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3 1/8" disc drives

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
So MiniDiscs are not the same as MD Data,
But almost, ha!
and DataDiscman is actually a device rather than a disc...
Yes ... I said previously that it feeds on CDs, now I have to add: but almost, ha! So Sony put 80mm CDs in a floppy-like case to achieve two goals: ruggedness and incompatibility.
The logical conclusion then is that the mysterious Chinon drives can (could) read these encased discs and normal 80mm CDs. Not anything magneto-optical.
Sony being Sony.
We're talking about stuff from early 90s, so some incompatibilities may also be due to technical limitations, not only intentional.

I also fould some devices whose funny shape revealed that they could record on 80mm (but not larger) CDs: Sony MA-gnetic VI-deo CA-meras!

Lian Yu/Starling City/Star City (multi-timelines)
System Name The NEW Foundry
Processor Intel Core i9 13900K
Motherboard Asus TUF Z790 Plus D4 WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer III 360mm (using Noctua 120mm AF12 Chromax fans)
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 (18-22-22-42)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce RTX3080ti 12GB + Intel UHD770
Storage Samsung 980Pro 1TB (Boot) / Samsung 980Pro 2TB / Samsung 980 1TB / 860EVO 512GB / Crucial T700 2TB
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 49" UltraWide 5120x1440@240Hz + Samsung 28" 3840x2160@60Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance-C (2 x 140mm + 6 x 120mm Noctua Chromax fans)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X 2 Headset + Edifier R1580MB
Power Supply EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Logitech G903 "Lightspeed" Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G915TKL + AttackShark X85 ‘Hall Effect”
Software MS Windows 11 Professional X64
Only Commercial 3 1/2" Drives that i am aware of are
720k floppy
1.44 mb floppy
2.88 mb floppy
Ls 120mb Floppy (backward compatible with above disks)
and various sizes of Zip Drives (propitiatory format not compatible with above Drives)
That's all I recall as well & been in this game since 1990.

Processor Core 2 Quad Q9650
Motherboard XFX nForce 780i SLI
Cooling Zalman
Memory 4x1GB Ballistix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) 2x Quadro FX 4800
Storage 2x WD RE3 500GB RAID 0
Display(s) Apple Cinema HD
Case Chieftec Dragon
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply Corsair 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Minidisc, MD Data, and Mini CD are small enough to fit in the bays theoretically but fitting the drive mechs in there would be pretty hard, I don't think anything like that ever materialized

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG UltraFine 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S (hosted on a different PC)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.7
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Another 3.5" drive that existed was the short-lived floptical (21MB capacity); this drive could also read standard 1.44MB and 720KB floppy discs.

The floptical was compatible with the SGI Indigo and Indy workstations' internal drive bays.

You can see the floptical drive slot on the right side of the Indy case near the logo:

And another drive missing from this list is the 4mm tape drive (the DDS cartridges were the same form factor as DAT). The DDS tape drive was too tall for the Indy but it was available for its Indigo predecessor as an internal peripheral. These were mostly deployed in UNIX workstations not consumer PCs. This also included companies like Sun Microsystems, HP, IBM, and other UNIX system manufacturers. Here's a photo of an internal unit:

The 4mm tape drive had a longer period of adoption being a compact backup system capable of storing up to 80GB with high-capacity DDS cartridges. My memory is hazy but I recall that one could actually create a bootable backup of a SGI system drive on a 4mm DDS tape drive. Depending on the complexity of the operating system installation, restoring a system from tape was faster than installing and patching a new system drive from a tall stack of software CD-ROMs. Once you successfully restored a known good snapshot to a fresh drive, you could just clone it to another HDD using the command line dd utility.

The UNIX workstation marketplace had a greater variety of peripherals than the PC world back in the Nineties because Joe Consumer would balk at shelling out $800 for a DDS tape drive.

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I knew I saw something recently pop up on my feed somewhere, guess it was YouTube.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Especially if your retrofitting stuff most of the time it's purely the aesthetic shell people want the insides mean very little unless your parting them out for other projects.
Fishtanks,lizard cages, computers, and I'm sure many other things can be put in a great big honking tube tv.
Again correct.

Old TV cabinets are just as much as furniture as they are as electronic devices. Plus they have some value if you are trying to recreate an authentic environment like a movie set in a certain period.

Something like a mini disc drive doesn't need to actually function in a movie. It just needs to look "authentic." If you are some bigshot Hollywood director shooting some retro tech thriller and the protagonist shoves a floppy disk into a 3.5" drive, it doesn't need a functional mechanism or drivers. It just needs a blinking light which some set flunky can mimic with a 10 cent LED and a drugstore battery.
At first I thought of slapping a cheap LED panel on it and call it a day but then realised it'd look... ugly, in my eyes at least. So began investigating about the og electronics, even got a service manual in pdf that definitely helps a lot, comes with some schematics and some nominal values to expect, I remember firing up the TV years ago to play with the famicom I had found, it didn't go well, the image was too dim and only B/W when it's a color device, that could've damaged something, powering up something that's been dormant for 40 years isn't a great idea.
Don't want to sell it for the cabinet alone, plus it's a learning experience and a challenge, and... I enjoy challenges. Upon inspection the CRT and valves seem to be in working order, it's the power delivery, wire insulation and minor components that are damaged, I'll have to work some magic and wire modern parts to it, not paying $300 for some old transformer. Speaker is gone as well but that's easily replaceable.

Back in the Nineties, most people interested in electronic typefaces looked at a paper typeface catalog and did mail or telephone order. I bought Garamond 3 (Linotype) and Garamond 3 Old Style this way, delivered on 1.44MB floppy discs by snail mail.

The Adobe Type Library CD-ROM disc with my NEC drive had the advantage of offering WYSIWYG previews. It also included a free version of the Adobe Type Manager extension for whatever OS my computer was running (my memory is hazy but I think it was System 6 for Macintosh).

One of the earliest CD-ROMs I bought was an encyclopedia. There was no Wikipedia back in the day. One silver 12cm disc held the contents of approximately three feet (1 meter) of book shelf space.

The earliest web browsers could easily fit on one 1.44MB floppy disc. This included NCSA Mosaic and what would eventually become Netscape Navigator. A few years later these became multi-disc installations and unsurprisingly old timers griped about bloatware. "We don't need a mail or newsgroup reader! Pine is a far better MUA!!!"
Interesting way of purchasing digital goods. I have some drives and disks around but they're only good to store ancient software and DOS/emulator games. A picture taken with a digital camera would require at least 3 diskettes to fit.
But almost, ha!

Yes ... I said previously that it feeds on CDs, now I have to add: but almost, ha! So Sony put 80mm CDs in a floppy-like case to achieve two goals: ruggedness and incompatibility.
The logical conclusion then is that the mysterious Chinon drives can (could) read these encased discs and normal 80mm CDs. Not anything magneto-optical.

We're talking about stuff from early 90s, so some incompatibilities may also be due to technical limitations, not only intentional.
Guess they thought of people grabbing CDs like vinyls and smearing them to the point they wouldn't be readable anymore and decided to put a protective case over them, makes sense. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. Well, maybe not stupid but unaware the discs could be damaged by doing something like that, scratching them, etc.
I also fould some devices whose funny shape revealed that they could record on 80mm (but not larger) CDs: Sony MA-gnetic VI-deo CA-meras!

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994