• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Matisse Refresh" Processor SKUs Include 3900XT, 3800XT, and 3600XT

ARF

Yes and that's why no one can give you the answer to

I know the answer, I was just arguing to the guy who expects AMD not to compete when Dr Lisa Su explicitly said that AMD will be back in the enthusiast market.
And other AMD personnel said that you must expect 4K level disruptive performance from Navi 2X.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
A simple problem:

Navi 10 is 251 sq. mm with performance 100% and performance per watt 100%.

How much faster will Navi 21 be if it is 505 sq. mm with (>) 50% higher performance per watt ?

Not a problem. If you think that somehow translates to double perf you got it wrong. And it does need double perf to kill the Nvidia stack.

We have been here a half dozen times before, overhyped AMD GPU prior and pretty weak product post leunch. Will it be different? I do think it will not be shit, as RDNA was already not shit. But performance crown? Nah, not happening...

ARF

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
The performance crown might be obtainable if Nvidia's next gen is somehow delayed. But when it arrives, it could offer anywhere from ~30-80% more performance. It's very hard to predict considering it's a new major architecture and transition to a new mature node.

But honestly, I have more expectations from Zen 3 than RDNA2…

A problem.

"A mathematical problem is a problem that is amenable to being represented, analyzed, and possibly solved, with the methods of mathematics."

Nvidia has only 2080 Ti with no where in sight anything better than it..
Performance crown is quite easy to achieve today, Nvidia has exactly zero N7 GPUs as of today.

Isn't ampere to launch on September?

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 6c/12t
Motherboard MSI B350M Mortar
Cooling Cryorig C7
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8) 3000MHz [DDR4]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super 8G
Storage Western Digital 1TB 5200RPM HDD / Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD / Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD
Case Corsair Crystal 280X Black
I'm...surprised. Not really sure why these chips are coming out. Gaming-focused? Meh? I mean, did they absolutely need products to fight Comet Lake? The way AMD supporters themselves constantly, constantly talk about AMD's chips coming within a few percentage points of Intel for gaming purposes, you'd think this stack would be DoA because no-one should be buying them if they come within a few points and Zen 3 is less than six months away...right? Bit of a waste of silicon really.

ARF

The performance crown might be obtainable if Nvidia's next gen is somehow delayed. But when it arrives, it could offer anywhere from ~30-80% more performance. It's very hard to predict considering it's a new major architecture and transition to a new mature node.

Zen 3 will be the swan song of the AM4 platform. I honestly don't expect anything from it. They will not surprise us with Zen 3.
Zen 4 will be much more important milestone in the development of the Zen-based micro-architectures :)

RDNA 2 is also very important because AMD needs to become competitive in the graphics department again.
We need that innovation with something new in the graphics, too.

Isn't ampere to launch on September?

Maybe, maybe in March 2021, who knows... We will see but honestly why would launches from the corps coincide?

I'm...surprised. Not really sure why these chips are coming out. Gaming-focused? Meh? I mean, did they absolutely need products to fight Comet Lake? The way AMD supporters themselves constantly, constantly talk about AMD's chips coming within a few percentage points of Intel for gaming purposes, you'd think this stack would be DoA because no-one should be buying them if they come within a few points and Zen 3 is less than six months away...right? Bit of a waste of silicon really.

Yeah, pretty much :(
Refresh of Zen 2 is not needed at this time. Many people said the Comet Lake was DoA. If it was DoA, why would AMD need to act now?

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Zen 3 will be the swan song of the AM4 platform. I honestly don't expect anything from it. They will not surprise us with Zen 3.
Zen 4 will be much more important milestone in the development of the Zen-based micro-architectures :)
Honestly I don't know, there are so much contradicting information on Zen 3, but if it's anywhere close to the 20% IPC gains some are claiming, then it's a major overhaul which should excite everyone.

AMD doesn't plan to use DDR5 until 2022, so it makes me wonder if they will delay Zen 4 until 2022, or if it will support both memory types. Not that DDR5 matters to me, I'm just curious.

I have one machine overdue for a replacement, and another which is getting close. The next 1-1.5 years will be exciting, perhaps I'll build one machine from each team? :D

RDNA 2 is also very important because AMD needs to become competitive in the graphics department again.

I don't disagree with the need for competition and innovation in the graphics market. But my expectations of RDNA 2 is not that high, AMD have disappointed again and again.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

If you're just guessing based on Huang it's 20/400% better, we will see eh.
And it's less new than it seams both no all companies iterate even Ryzens had some up carry over from the BD line, no one starts from scratch.

Literally any thread Can become the GPU argument thread on a whim.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT White
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB, Toshiba N300 10TB HDD, Seagate Ironwolf 4T HDD
Display(s) Acer Predator X32FP 32in 160Hz 4K FreeSync/GSync DP, LG 32UL950 32in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
The problem with that logic is that those things dont scale linearly
Near-linear scale can be reached e.g. 7870 (dual geometry/dual rasterization units, 20 CU, 32 ROPS, 256-bit bus) scaling into R9-390 (quad geometry/quad rasterization units, 40 CU, 64 ROPS, 512-bit bus).

7870 = dual shader engines GCN
R9-290/290X = quad shader engines GCN
RX 5700/5700 XT = dual shader engines RDNA

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
What are your thoughts on the reasons for AMD to bump 3xxx series, while so close to Zen3 release?
Zen 3 cycle begins with a September announcement, and mid-to-late Q4 availability, with high availability only by December-January, if not later. That's too much ground ceded to Intel marketing on the "gaming" plank.

As reviews have shown, 10900K only enjoys a mid-thru-high single digit gaming performance lead, and a 10-15% nT non-gaming performance deficit over the 3900X. So AMD's goal would be to bring Intel's gaming performance lead down as much as possible (at least restore the ~2.5-4% lead it had with CFL), and push its nT performance lead close to 20%.

They weren't embattled before and they sure as hell ain't now.
18-22% price-cuts suggest otherwise.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
18-22% price-cuts suggest otherwise.
Or it's an indicator that pricing is way too high in the market, and they can increase sales while maintaining profitability by reducing their prices.

Honestly I don't know, there are so much contradicting information on Zen 3, but if it's anywhere close to the 20% IPC gains some are claiming, then it's a major overhaul which should excite everyone.

AMD doesn't plan to use DDR5 until 2022, so it makes me wonder if they will delay Zen 4 until 2022, or if it will support both memory types. Not that DDR5 matters to me, I'm just curious.

I have one machine overdue for a replacement, and another which is getting close. The next 1-1.5 years will be exciting, perhaps I'll build one machine from each team? :D

I don't disagree with the need for competition and innovation in the graphics market. But my expectations of RDNA 2 is not that high, AMD have disappointed again and again.
I'd actually prefer not to have to jump to DDR5 immediately if it can be helped. It can defiantly get expensive quickly when you need to replace not just the CPU and MB, but the memory as well.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC

Maybe, maybe in March 2021, who knows... We will see but honestly why would launches from the corps coincide?

Yeah, pretty much :(
Refresh of Zen 2 is not needed at this time. Many people said the Comet Lake was DoA. If it was DoA, why would AMD need to act now?

Its all crystal ball category statements, isn't it. From both of us :) I'm just a bit more of a pessimist, it seems to end up closer to the truth every time... Not just with AMD - Nvidia too. You won't find me overhyping the next release in ANY camp - even Pascal was better than expected, but the price increase went along with the additional performance that gen offered. So bottom line... the next gen will be yet another next gen like every other, carefully balanced out against the current economic and market reality. There will be some GPUs that are great value, and others that are overpriced, and the stacks will again be extremely close to one another, for the most part.

It sounds boring, and yes, it really is :) The interesting bits for next gen will be how each camp scales with RT content and without it, while using their architectural update. How large the dies will be, how power management affects 'quality of life'... and how the perf/dollar will land. Whoever has the fastest... the vast majority is not in the market for it anyway. That 2080ti is really not a product in the stack IMO, it is priced way out of it. The details matter a lot more, and so far AMD has yet to show us details that truly bring benefits on the points mentioned here. RDNA was a small step in that direction, but still massively behind the curve.

When it comes to CPUs though, AMD has a much more reliable track record as of late, and it is actually them that are leading the curve, despite a minor, situational performance deficit (in ST). Intel has more catching up to do here; in die size/yield/node, in power management (quality of life - enter the delid or solder the lid ;) - still too hot, scales like shit when turboing)... The metrics are really the same, and none of them include me believing any sort of hype or marketing.

Don't think anyone disagrees about competitiveness, but saying it often won't make it so.

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
I'd actually prefer not to have to jump to DDR5 immediately if it can be helped. It can defiantly get expensive quickly when you need to replace not just the CPU and MB, but the memory as well.
Usually, I keep CPU, motherboard and memory together when upgrading computers, reusing it in another build as a secondary computer, file server, etc. But if you have a lot of memory, it's understandable that it will cost a lot to replace it.
More importantly, I see far too many builders waste money on overpriced overclockable memory. Using something like 4000 MHz memory is not going to yield a substantial gain, and you are probably not able to run it reliably at that speed for 5+ years. People should rather buy affordable memory running at the highest JEDEC speed of their CPU and spend the money save on a CPU or GPU that's one tier higher.

ARF

Its all crystal ball category statements, isn't it. From both of us :) I'm just a bit more of a pessimist, it seems to end up closer to the truth every time... Not just with AMD - Nvidia too. You won't find me overhyping the next release in ANY camp - even Pascal was better than expected, but the price increase went along with the additional performance that gen offered. So bottom line... the next gen will be yet another next gen like every other, carefully balanced out against the current economic and market reality. There will be some GPUs that are great value, and others that are overpriced, and the stacks will again be extremely close to one another, for the most part.

It sounds boring, and yes, it really is :) The interesting bits for next gen will be how each camp scales with RT content and without it, while using their architectural update. How large the dies will be, how power management affects 'quality of life'... and how the perf/dollar will land. Whoever has the fastest... the vast majority is not in the market for it anyway. That 2080ti is really not a product in the stack IMO, it is priced way out of it. The details matter a lot more, and so far AMD has yet to show us details that truly bring benefits on the points mentioned here. RDNA was a small step in that direction, but still massively behind the curve.

When it comes to CPUs though, AMD has a much more reliable track record as of late, and it is actually them that are leading the curve, despite a minor, situational performance deficit (in ST). Intel has more catching up to do here; in die size/yield/node, in power management (quality of life - enter the delid or solder the lid ;) - still too hot, scales like shit when turboing)... The metrics are really the same, and none of them include me believing any sort of hype or marketing.

Don't think anyone disagrees about competitiveness, but saying it often won't make it so.

The part which I don't like is that Zen 3 is end of road for AM4 support. No possible future upgrade on the line with anything.
It's a very serious reason not to buy anything CPU this year or H1 next year, and if you can wait for the new AM5 platform, then better wait.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT White
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB, Toshiba N300 10TB HDD, Seagate Ironwolf 4T HDD
Display(s) Acer Predator X32FP 32in 160Hz 4K FreeSync/GSync DP, LG 32UL950 32in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
The part which I don't like is that Zen 3 is end of road for AM4 support. No possible future upgrade on the line with anything.
It's a very serious reason not to buy anything CPU this year or H1 next year, and if you can wait for the new AM5 platform, then better wait.
DDR5 is different from DDR4. Higher memory bandwidth would be required when AMD supports AVX-512 or quad pipeline 256-bit AVX 2 FMA3 with 16 CPU cores. Refer to X299 platform's four DDR4 memory channels as an example.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Well, the only thing that can't be upgraded would be the CPU.
Frankly, I seem to disagree with many in terms of CPU support. The reality with AM4 support ended up being having decent support for ~1 more generation, then perhaps partial support with some major compromises beyond that. For this support to matter to me, it needs to last at least 3-4 years of decent support and properly maintained BIOSes. There is just no point in upgrading a CPU after 1 year, that's a waste of money. The sad truth is that motherboard BIOSes are barely maintained beyond 1 year, so until they come up with motherboards which commits to proper long term support, I'm going to buy a new motherboard whenever I need a new CPU.

So for me, the choice between Zen 3 or Zen 4 would not be about sockets, but performance and CPU features (like AVX-512?).

ARF

I haven't seen any hint that AMD intends to support AVX-512, when even Intel who created it pretty much dropped it as an option.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
I haven't seen any hint that AMD intends to support AVX-512, when even Intel who created it pretty much dropped it as an option.
Neither have I, but they better bring it sooner rather than later. Once some productive tools starts to use it, it will be a big deal. Even Ice Lake-U features AVX-512, so all of Intel's segments should feature it going forward (except Atom etc.).

ARF

Neither have I, but they better bring it sooner rather than later. Once some productive tools starts to use it, it will be a big deal. Even Ice Lake-U features AVX-512, so all of Intel's segments should feature it going forward (except Atom etc.).

As of 2020, there are no AMD CPUs that support AVX-512, and AMD has not yet released plans to support AVX-512.