• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Readies 16-core, 12-core, and 8-core Ryzen 7000X3D "Zen 4" Processors

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
The problem is that they're not making those anymore and they don't want to. The more AM4 upgrade CPUs they make, the fewer AM5 CPUs and motherboards they can sell. There's also the fact that they'd have to sell the 5600X3D for even less than the 7600X3D would be and no corporation wants less money.

I do however agree that an R5-5600X3D would've made more sense than the R7-5800X3D. The thing is, I gave them a pass because it was their first "kick at the can" so to speak. I won't give them the same pass with AM5 because the 5800X3D showed that they clearly got it right. It's not just that they're being greedy, it's that they're being stupid. I really don't think that the 3D cache has enough of a positive impact on productivity that the productivity users will be willing to pay extra for it and they'll just gather dust like the RTX 4080 and RX 7900 XT. That's not good for anybody.
We are at an interesting place in the CPU space. If you got a 1800X and then jumped to Ryzen 2 you would feel nice as the PC would be snappier and you would see improved Game performance. If you went from Ryzen 2 to Ryzen 3 you were blown away at how efficient the CPUs were while being faster the 2nd gen. If you got 4th Gen you were not as enthused as the increase in performance was more whelming. When the 5th Gen launched it did not have the same effect because MBs were way too expensive and there were no carrots like 5.0 GPus or even storage that became moot quickly. The thing is X570S was launched and Super featured B550 boards were launched before X670 but those boards are just as flexible as any X670 board (with what you can buy). Then the board makers priced their boards to the moon as any X670E board is more expensive than some TRX40 boards. DDR5 is another onion as it those numbers like 36-36-36-70 are not in the least bit interesting. Intel gets some too as they obviously are insane for splitting the GPU lanes between the M2 and GPU on their Z790 boards. Then there is the obvious elephant in the room that says that E cores are a joke and really only serve the purpose of making multi threaded benchmarks favour those chips. The kicker is that they want a king's ransom from consumers and have used their power to do so. It is not all bad though as the narrative is what it is but reality is changing the landscape. The 5800X3D IS that good. AMD don't need to make another chip for AM4. They can easily produce more of these as TSMC has moved on from 7NM being the state of the art making those dies less expensive. That CPU alone will carry AM4 into the sunset combined with Nvidia juicing their prices and AMD cards falling in price combined with their software means AMD will dominate the budget Gaming market in 2023. I went to the PC store the other day and I saw that at least 8 AMD cards were waiting for pickup while there were 2 Nvidia cards on top of that there were way more Nvidia cards than AMD sitting on the shelves and when I saw the pricing I understood and here is the other side. The experiment that was Raptor Lake will be a home run when Meteor Lake launches. The reason these are important is that the kids that grew up on Minecraft are already hard wired to be Gamers and are starting to get their own money, like we did at one point. When they just don't have enough and go with their parents to the PC store pragmatism will kick in and when the associate tells the parent that the $300 card (6600) is faster than the $400 (3050) card but the $400 card has Ray tracing hehe. I am sure in this Cost of living crisis that the lowest hanging fruit will always be picked first. If I was Nvidia I would be scared as Intel and AMD (I have said this before) will and are going to the OEM vendors and making deals for all Intel and AMD based systems. Intel may have underwhelmed on their first (new) GPU but they will improve their drivers as time goes on and release faster chips but the drivers is where it is at. If and when they do that you know who's left out? The fact that they shot for the moon and tried to buy ARM was the cannon shot that could be heard but not felt around the World. I will disqualify the preceding statement with the fact that I am on my 3rd King can of Hollandia (No DABs) but I am on Vacation until January so it's all good.

I dont understand the rationale behind 192 mb cach split between two chiplets. The latency between chiplets negates any benefit of the cache for any workload that involves two chiplets. Take flight sims for example, in DCS only 1 or 2 cores are used. In MSFS, up to 6 (in my experience). So the real benefits seen in the 5800x3D are due to a chiplet having access to the whole cache. Having two chiplets each with its own cache will not be better for games than one chiplet with cache. If the argument is that there are other applications that benefit, I can see that but it comes at the expense of a lot of extra heat. For gamers, it might be interesting to have a 7950x3d with only 1 chiplet having cache.

System Name The Phantom in the Black Tower
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 AM4
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism, 5 x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm
Memory 64GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3600 CL18 (4×16GB)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB
Storage WDS500G3X0E (OS), WDS100T2B0C, TM8FP6002T0C101 (x2) and ~40TB of total HDD space
Display(s) Haier 55E5500U 55" 2160p60Hz
Case Ultra U12-40670 Super Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply EVGA 1000 G2 Supernova 1kW 80+Gold-Certified
Mouse Logitech MK320
Keyboard Logitech MK320
VR HMD None
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ultra: 19484 Time Spy Extreme: 11006 Port Royal: 16545 SuperPosition 4K Optimised: 23439
I was saying it would make more sense than the 3600X3D.
Do you mean 7600X3D?
The trouble with a 6-core X3D, 5K or 7K series, is that the X3D bit commands a $150 price premium - would you have bought a $400 6-core?
If it were an X3D, hell yeah I would. I did say that they could leave the non-X parts alone for the budget builders.
I think enough people were complaining about the low core count/MT performance of the 5800X3D.
I haven't seen anyone complaining about the price of the 5800X3D, ever. I'm not saying that nobody has, I'm saying that I've never seen it so it's probably not a lot of people.

The R7-5800X3D turned out to be one of the best-selling AM4 CPUs ever made. Every review that I ever read about the 5800X3D said that if you have an AM4 platform already (which describes A LOT of people), it's the best value gaming CPU in existence.

If people are going to complain about the price of the one of the best-value gaming CPUs in existence, then they'll complain about anything and I don't really care if they complain. I was lucky to get my 5800X3D because it was sold out in Canada for literally weeks because it was on sale. It turned out that my local Memory Express had ten coming in and they allowed me to reserve one. My reservation was the seventh reserved 5800X3D of the batch which meant that only three were left. Clearly, the people complaining were a small minority compared to the people who jumped at the chance to get one. It had dropped in price from $570 to $470 and then Memory Express dropped it another $50 (while Canada Computers remained at $470) so I got mine for $420, not bad considering that's CAD.

The people who complained must have complained only about its productivity performance which is stupid because that's not what the CPU was for. AMD touted it as a gaming-first CPU and that's exactly what it was. For anyone who wanted a CPU for productivity, the R7-5700X was $100 less expensive so they could've just bought that. Either way, my ears are deaf to the complaints of stupid people.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD