• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Releases Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.7.3

System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling EK Quantum Velocity C+A, EK Quantum Vector C+A, CE 280, Monsta 280, GTS 280 all w/ A14 IP67
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 3
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ A14 IP67
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Monsgeek M5W w/ Cherry MX Silent Black RGBs
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
It is really funny to read your tyrrade, mentioning workstations and such "important" words, yet you know nothing (or very little) about the culprit why Afterburner and other OC Tools have problems.
Let me tell you one thing :
All of those "OC tools" are using undocumented/not officially supported API extensions (or connecting to hardware through dirty-hacks) and AMD is not obliged to :
a)test if such undocumented/unsupported API extensions work,
b)warranty any backward compatibility for undocummented/unsupported API extensions
c)shouldn't care if these are dirty-hacks to get to some low-level hardware access (actually these might be security risks and I personally would close such loopholes).
d)RDRAND problem (Destiny2 - your example, however failed to mention that nearly all Linux distros have bigger problems) has nothing to do with drivers, rather it has something to do with the entropy generation returning invalid information (-1 instead of 1). Software issue? Rather not. I would hint to a hardware issue, that fortunately can be fixed with AGESA / microcode update.
The chipset drivers are only a quick-patch and not a real solution to the problem (and solves only some minor problems under Windows environment).
e)you would know it all if you would follow my advice and actually READ a few topics in the Afterburner thread

BTW --- it is funny to see that your "quality metrics" is the amount of likes under a post... LoL.
Now get back to school and stop trolling, that all (including Earthquakes) is AMD's fault.
There’s a difference with saying “AMD is at fault and has to fix this” and saying “The application stopped working because AMD changed the code”. Also, I am not denying that MSI and other oc tools are using non-official APIs for overclocking, since neither intel, nvidia, or amd would ever “support” overclocking past their limits. All I was saying is, BECAUSE AMD changed the functions, it’s not necessarily right to blame MSI for the failure.

There truth on both sides of the coin here. Regardless of who's to blame, I think we can all draw some basic conclusions:

1) AMD's new beta 19.7.5 driver broke compatibility with MSI Afterburner and the MSI gaming app. AMD is [technically] at fault for causing this problem, but they are not [necessarily] responsible for resolution. That responsibility falls to the 3rd party vendor, MSI.
2) This is a broken API issue (as joeboy pointed out) and may or may not have been intentional... Here is my question: Do you think AMD did this on purpose in an effort to get people to use their own GPU management software known as Wattman? For example, Microsoft Edge doesn't allow you to set a specific page when you open a new tab, and this is an obvious effort to get people to stay with the bing search engine. The browser wars are real, and I'm thinking maybe we have the same thing going on between AMD and competing 3rd party vendors?

*edit* please note: this discussion only pertains to my specific hardware/software configuration, that being an MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8GB GPU with Windows 10 x64 release 1809 and MSI Afterburner.
AMD probably did this to optimize their GPUs when under stock operation, as in, they probably wanted to optimize the voltages and frequency curves for the GPUs in such a way that is helpful for the average consumer, but not for anyone that overclocks using 3rd party software.