• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reveals Ryzen 7 Family, Pricing, and Radeon Vega Logo

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Holy Asus.

The ROG Hero AM4 board is backwards compatible with older AM3+ coolers. Le Grand Macho and a 1800X, here we come...... Once reviews are in - I never buy without hardware reviews on hand.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Ok AMD time to do a commercial... I'd get Neil Degrasse Tyson and have him walking intently ponder looking in to the cosmos. Where he bumps into (that we only see the backside) of Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) lookalike. The Seldon character just is standing almost bewildered looking out the other way almost lost.

Neil says, "next time probably best to choose the processor that has the performance to calculate a real physicists' dreams or astrophysicists' reality faster, all while a green footprint here on earth. Real science to those who know... choose Ryzen from AMD"

Cool idea, really. However, AMD can afford neither Neil nor the Sheldon imposter -- not at these pricing scales.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
- I still haven't heard if we'll be having a Bulldozer Déjà vu, in as far as lane speeds may be concerned. Now maybe you guys know, but personally, until i do, i wouldn't consider a switch. Not without getting the whole picture i mean.
- I'm still not sure why everyone neglects to mention the dual channel RAM only specification. Not saying it's the end of the world by any means, but i am saying that when you pay, you pay. So it's something to consider, paying for a rig that can only have dual channel RAM. Yes, the bandwidth difference is minimal in terms of benefit; for now. Most of us don't switch rigs every year or two. So this too i would consider some.
- Unlike i assume a lot of people here, i don't do benchmarks. I don't count transistors, i don't run heavy editing software. The 0.00056452x253855/2635% difference is.. nothing to me. Know what is? Who, when and how often will make the leap to optimize their software for Ryzens. That's what. Because the big bad boy pays more and we know what that relates to (we see it in the GPUs as well). Ethics are good and well, but this particular consumer won't willingly opt to switch to the underhanded part of the equation.

Until i see/know all the above, i cannot share your enthusiasm or your skepticism. Can just wish them the very best, as we do need some competition again, badly. If they actually bring us back to the Athlon days, even better. Again, competition.

dirtyvu

Can just wish them the very best, as we do need some competition again, badly. If they actually bring us back to the Athlon days, even better. Again, competition.

Jim Keller, the architect behind AMD's last monster, the Athlon 64 and the author of the X86-X64 spec, came back to AMD in 2012, just in time for startup of the Zen architecture... We're in for good times ahead. I needed to build a new 4K video editing rig and Ryzen looks amazing for the price performance ratio. A few percent greater in IPC for twice the price when talking Intel? No, thanks. Ryzen is looking spectacular at multi-threaded workloads and looking extremely competitive in single-threaded situations so at the price points, it's looking phenomenal.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
I still wonder if a 40% increase is to little to late.
  • Yes, AMD has made some amazing increases on Ryzen! But they are also releasing it against Intel's 8 month old Broadwell-E lineup. It won't be too long before Intel releases Skylake-e and AMD will start to fall behind again. (Even if Skylake-E's performance increases aren't that big!)
    • AMD also doesn't refresh their CPU's that often. Which means that unless they get on an aggressive schedule with Ryzen, Intel's lead could get ahead of Ryzen really fast.
  • AMD's only small chance for the moment is that Intel is having process issues with 10nm and 7nm. These issues could stop Intel from running off with the lead, while AMD plays catch up.
But I would like to see AMD's Ryzen refresh schedule before I go out and chance my motherboard and CPU to AMD parts. I don't want to stay on the 1800X for the next 4 years.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) AW3423dwf.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
- I still haven't heard if we'll be having a Bulldozer Déjà vu, in as far as lane speeds may be concerned. Now maybe you guys know, but personally, until i do, i wouldn't consider a switch. Not without getting the whole picture i mean.
- I'm still not sure why everyone neglects to mention the dual channel RAM only specification. Not saying it's the end of the world by any means, but i am saying that when you pay, you pay. So it's something to consider, paying for a rig that can only have dual channel RAM. Yes, the bandwidth difference is minimal in terms of benefit; for now. Most of us don't switch rigs every year or two. So this too i would consider some.
- Unlike i assume a lot of people here, i don't do benchmarks. I don't count transistors, i don't run heavy editing software. The 0.00056452x253855/2635% difference is.. nothing to me. Know what is? Who, when and how often will make the leap to optimize their software for Ryzens. That's what. Because the big bad boy pays more and we know what that relates to (we see it in the GPUs as well). Ethics are good and well, but this particular consumer won't willingly opt to switch to the underhanded part of the equation.

Until i see/know all the above, i cannot share your enthusiasm or your skepticism. Can just wish them the very best, as we do need some competition again, badly. If they actually bring us back to the Athlon days, even better. Again, competition.

I've had quad channel memory a long time ago, It didn't matter then, it doesn't now.
it got surpassed by new dual channel stuff, again, and again and it always happens!

If you run a VM host with 16 hosts running high load servers, yes it will matter, will you?
NO!

When does software optimize for cpu's ? almost never, Hyperthreading is already taken care of and what else does ryzen have that doesn't already exist ? nothing.
cpu's are designed for software and use, not the other way around!

Surely.

C'mon.

It has to be true.

But I would like to see AMD's Ryzen refresh schedule before I go out and chance my motherboard and CPU to AMD parts. I don't want to stay on the 1800X for the next 4 years.

Not hard dates but she did hint at the refreshes

Lisa Su said:
And we have a multigenerational roadmap that we are working on, including the Zen 2 and the Zen 3 follow-on.

We are actually in the process of developing now in 7-nanometer

Worst case scenario Zen 2 2019

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
  • Yes, AMD has made some amazing increases on Ryzen! But they are also releasing it against Intel's 8 month old Broadwell-E lineup. It won't be too long before Intel releases Skylake-e and AMD will start to fall behind again. (Even if Skylake-E's performance increases aren't that big!)
    • AMD also doesn't refresh their CPU's that often. Which means that unless they get on an aggressive schedule with Ryzen, Intel's lead could get ahead of Ryzen really fast.
  • AMD's only small chance for the moment is that Intel is having process issues with 10nm and 7nm. These issues could stop Intel from running off with the lead, while AMD plays catch up.

I'm still on Sandy-E because it was good enough to last. Ryzen simply has to be up to speed with today's CPU'S from Intel and those people will keep them.
I haven't bought Intel (upgraded) since 2011 because the huge cost on CPU and platform are still utterly unjustified. But at under £500, I can get an 8 core Broadwell-E equivalent...
I'm a top end (or close to it) components buyer and Ryzen looks like a phenomenal deal to me.

But I may also buy a 1080ti too because May is too far away.

Cool idea, really. However, AMD can afford neither Neil nor the Sheldon imposter -- not at these pricing scales.
And while probably the truth, they need to pounce to really gain "mind-share" at this point... I'd say a commercial like that would go a long way!

I found it interesting that for what seem like only the last 4-6 mo's Intel started to ramp-up their use of commercials, to solidify their dominance. While the timing was off by a month, could you have imagine that as a Super bowl commercial, don't ever say never two great comebacks. It would've been as iconic as Apple Macintosh "1984" ad.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
When does software optimize for cpu's?

Is this a rhetorical question or are you for real?
Dude, your wishes are your wishes and as such, respected. But.. you know..

Could name you program after program (not just games) that run badly on AMD CPUs because the devs had only optimized..designed..(?) them for Intels; by their own admission. Said same software that when eventually they optimized for AMDs too, people like me could run it without all the hiccups that the Intel owners never even got to get acquainted with.
Now i may have used the wrong term here, not an expert. But the gist is a fact. And while you can spin it as you like, again, wrong as it may be, i'm a consumer; not an evangelist.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
AMD doesn't have to beat Intel. All they have to do is be competitive. Intel has done most of the work of being beat.

Intel isn't going to halve the prices of their processors overnight. That would be a publicity nightmare. And they can't push out a competitive processor at that price overnight either.

The hard truth is Intel didn't see this coming and they have been caught with their pants down. Which is a good thing. It's good to be humbled from time to time.

Let the CPU wars begin again!
Relax , there are no 3rd party benches yet. If AMD beats the Intel's 8 Cores in Games and Multimedia, then we will talk!

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
A little off topic here, but judging by what Lisa Su said about the demo of Ryzen that we saw before(New Horizon, CES), all along we thought it was the flagship (1800x) version...according to the press release, she stated it was in fact the 1700x. I will assume that AMD is being coy with Vega in the same manner. AMD is being very coy, cocky and confident with what they are doing, I wouldn't doubt that the Vega we see is not the full fledged chip and according to Paul(youtuber) that Vega AMD showed was little Vega. He stated it multiple times and on at least 2 different occasions.

I cant wait for my next build, my 5930k system will finally see some competition.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
I believe the 100 MHz boost from XFR (the specs show 1800X = 3.6 GHz stock, 4.0 GHz boost, 4.1 GHz XFR) is while using the provided AMD stock cooler so it was low and conservative. I believe better cooling as they promised will yield a better XFR auto OC.
The 1800X won't ship with a cooler...
The Ryzen 7-1700 has a TDP of just 65W [...] and will include an AMD Wraith Max cooling solution, while the 1700X and 1800X have TDP rated at 95W, and will come without coolers.

This is why I am waiting for benchmarks like everyone else. If XFR boosts well under a beefy air cooler or AIO, then I might go with the 1700X. But if it doesn't help and manual OC is the way to go, then I will get the 1700 and do it myself.
The 1700X would need to clock at least to 4.49GHz (+700MHz) in order to reach perf/$ parity with the 1700. I'm pretty certain XFR won't make that much of a difference. But I'm also not opposed to reviews proving said assumption wrong. :rockout:

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
But I may also buy a 1080ti too because May is too far away.

End of March isn't far off from May (and I would never trust nvidia availability lol).

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) AW3423dwf.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Is this a rhetorical question or are you for real?
Dude, your wishes are your wishes and as such, respected. But.. you know..

Could name you program after program (not just games) that run badly on AMD CPUs because the devs had only optimized..designed..(?) them for Intels; by their own admission. Said same software that when eventually they optimized for AMDs too, people like me could run it without all the hiccups that the Intel owners never even got to get acquainted with.
Now i may have used the wrong term here, not an expert. But the gist is a fact. And while you can spin it as you like, again, wrong as it may be, i'm a consumer; not an evangelist.

If we exclude OS as software (end user) Yes, it very rarely happens unless benchmark app and some money from intel or amd is involved.

If you believe non benchmark apps gets updates for cpu's I think you're mistaken cause the cost is too high and to make the code in itself more efficient for all cpu's is not a topic for devs as we throw overpowered pc's at mundane tasks and optimizing cuts their profit margin, world isn't that "kind" unfortunately.

I've had intel and AMD for 20 odd years now, never ever have I experienced anything else than Android studio not working in windows for an amd cpu.
Only difference.
Current systems are AMD 1055T and Intel Xeon 2680 10 core.

System Name Rayzen
Processor 2700x
Motherboard asus prime x370-pro
Cooling NH-U12SSE-AM4
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENTZ F4-3200c14D-32G @3000
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 TI
Storage Force MP510
Display(s) SAMSUNG 40" TV
Case CORSAIR CARBIDE series 100R
Power Supply CORSAIR RM 650x
Way too many partypoopers in here!

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Rog Strix Impact 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just realized that the model numbers are similar to the old Athlon XP series

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
When I saw the presentation of Ryzen on the web last night, I went into the livingroom telling my wife about this new tech.
She got me down to earth right away, she told me that I could Ryzen from my chair, and Ryzen into the gardenshed, if I just as much as thourght about buying of those systems. Her reasoning was simple, that we allready have 6 computeres in the house, and I have a I7-5820K/X99 system, and were only us two "old" ones living in our house. 4 computers are only for the grandkids to play with when they visit.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
The 1800X won't ship with a cooler...

Huh? I think there is a chip only option, but you think it will ship with no cooler at all on release. Why?

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
Huh? I think there is a chip only option, but you think it will ship with no cooler at all on release. Why?
That's at least what btarunr's article states:
The Ryzen 7-1700 has a TDP of just 65W [...] and will include an AMD Wraith Max cooling solution, while the 1700X and 1800X have TDP rated at 95W, and will come without coolers.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Isn't it weird, that "leaked" 4/6 core versions of Ryzen have LOWER frequency than 8 cores?

that's why you need a link
Because Cinebench benchmark results is such a big secret.
Did those charts somehow hurt you?

It is 52% or even 64%,, depending which buldozer you take.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
i think amd would benefit greatly from less hype-y communication.
ipc improvement 40-64% is awesome but is bulldozer/excavator/piledriver the comparison we need?

cinebench results from amd-s own slides are interesting in the way that they show single thread result for 1800x being equal to 6900k.
6900k is broadwell running at 3.2/3.7ghz, as opposed to 1800x ryzen at 3.5/4.0+xfr.
4.0 ryzen = 3.7ghz broadwell (xfr being an additional variable here). same result for (at least) 8% clock difference.

edit:
in another thread, someone pointed out i was wrong.
6900k does have 4.0ghz max clock.

Isn't it weird, that "leaked" 4/6 core versions of Ryzen have LOWER frequency than 8 cores?
the ipc comparison from single-core cinebench is what sounds concerning when looking at the lower clocks on the 6/4 core ryzens. these will not go against broadwell but against skylake/kabylake that have a small but measurable ipc boost over broadwell in addition to higher clocks. :(

Last edited:
i think amd would benefit greatly from less hype-y communication.
Well, tbh, these are first really competitive (IMHO) processors they've put out in years. At least things are pointing at that.

ipc improvement 40-64% is awesome but is bulldozer/excavator/piledriver the comparison we need?

That's a pretty significant improvement from excavator, I'd wager. They need to go by their previous architecture.

8% clock difference.

With nearly a 55-60% price difference.