• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Software Adrenalin 22.7.1 Released, Includes OpenGL Performance Boost and AI Noise-Suppression

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
In Minecraft you can't really expect any scaling in performance that would make sense. You can upgrade from an RTX 2080 to an RTX 3080 and see no improvement at all, even though that would be a big upgrade in other games. There's a couple of reasons for that and they boil down to Minecraft basically being an inefficient Java game (along with the additional inefficiencies of modpacks). The inefficiency of the engine means that it benefits more from processor IPC and that's what limits your framerate performance. CPU bottleneck, basically.
I'm well aware of the game having a very crude game engine written in Java using the library LWJGL (I believe), and this language and its libraries with the resulting inability to write efficient and reliable code. Game engines usually interface with the OS to read input events, uses threading smart and efficiently to avoid rendering and IO affecting each other, and hopefully reduce/avoid heap allocations and random memory accesses in performance critical code, etc. all of which is hard or impossible in Java. If this was written efficiently in C using OpenGL well, then it should easily be able to push 2000 FPS with this level of geometry.

And I don't mean this as criticism of Minecraft as a game, I'm well aware of it starting as a hobby project that went viral. I'm saying this because I'm well aware of the technical limitations of this game, and you are right about it facing effectively a CPU bottleneck (of sorts). But having a vastly faster CPU (which I what I assume you mean by "IPC") will not completely eliminate these performance bottlenecks, in short some highlights why;
- Java will result in layers of extra function calls, many of which will result in cache misses of a type which a faster CPU can't do much.
- Incompatibilities of Java's types and OpenGL's state machine design resulting in loads of heap allocations, Java's garbage collection, and the resulting memory fragmentation. All of these will not scale well with a faster CPU.
- Inefficient use of OpenGL itself, which has nothing to do with Java. Even an infinitely fast CPU can't make up for inefficient batching of operations. The solution is obviously a better engine design.
So there are design bottlenecks too.

I'm not sure why the minimums are so crap but those big framerate stutters only happen when you're moving around rendering new chunks. Stay in the same place for any amount of time and the 0.1% lows go way up to over 200fps and it's butter smooth. The Nvidia cards also suffer from the same thing but manage to keep framerates above 60. But yes you can definitely feel that it runs worse on Radeon. I think there's a lot of improvement still to go.
Was your comparison of RX 6600 and GTX 1060 with the same or a comparable PC?
Because I find it interesting that the Nvidia card didn't experience the same level of slowdown. So if your description is correct, it would mean that the difference here is due to overhead on those API calls, not the game engine itself. As mentioned, I suspect it has to do with updates to vertex buffers, and find it puzzling that their new driver implementation is so much worse in this regard.

And scratch what I said about testing my old Radeon card. (I used it in a Haswell machine which broke.) It turns out they dropped support for my R7 260, even though it's 2nd gen GCN. (Thanks AMD!)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
AMD's been behind in openGL for so long, and this is the second big oGL boost recently - great news

Edit: After first thinking I managed to screw up my before/after testing in Unigine Heaven, I managed to find a screenshot (only of the first run? weird.) in some obscure Heaven subfolder. Since I don't have the latter run in screenshot form (only the default .html), here's a table:
BeforeAfter update
Score33084738
Avg. fps131.3188.1
Min. fps12.318.7
Max. fps268.1421.8
Settings: 1440p fullscreen, OpenGL, Ultra quality, Extreme tesselation.

That is a very, very solid performance increase. Well done AMD - but also: about time.
dude, that's a massive change

How on Earth would a graphics driver break your keyboard, trackpad and USB functionality? That seems incredibly odd to me. Something seems off.
Laptops can be weird

Being that AMD has some unified drivers, it sounds like he somehow removed his chipset and USB Drivers
(DDU screwup, perhaps)

Quite a few peeps on reddit lost HDR too so not system specific. Out of interest do you use an 8 or 10 bit monitor? And do you use display screen compression for your resolution/framerate mix? I'm trying to figure out if it is a DSC related bug (as my monitor uses DSC at 4k 144hz) or a but depth related issue.
Someone in a thread here on TPU noticed something similar to that, where certain monitor combinations raised his VRAM clocks (the focus of the thread) but also removed certain colour options... like 165Hz would remove the 6 bit option.

That said, on my Nvidia cards - HDR drops me to 120Hz from 165Hz. You might have been using the software style HDR from MS, and now AMD is trying to push the hardware one - try lowering your refresh rate?

The improvements in my modded Minecraft 1.6.4 average FPS is huge! The chunk loading still sucks (which is why 1% and 0.1% are so low) but LOOK at those average and maximum improvements!

RX6600 - Old driver (can't remember what version):
18-05-2022, 17:29:35 javaw.exe benchmark completed, 10548 frames rendered in 52.157 s
Average framerate : 202.2 FPS
Minimum framerate : 171.2 FPS
Maximum framerate : 252.4 FPS
1% low framerate : 48.1 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 30.7 FPS

RX 6600 - New driver
(22.7.1):
29-07-2022, 10:46:34 javaw.exe benchmark completed, 29361 frames rendered in 89.625 s
Average framerate : 327.5 FPS
Minimum framerate : 168.4 FPS
Maximum framerate : 589.4 FPS
1% low framerate : 6.2 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 3.2 FPS

It still can't compete with my GTX 1060 6GB in minimum values though......

GTX 1060 6GB:
17-05-2022, 21:38:06 javaw.exe benchmark completed, 46906 frames rendered in 137.562 s
Average framerate : 340.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 254.3 FPS
Maximum framerate : 463.5 FPS
1% low framerate : 122.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 64.4 FPS

Even though Radeon performance is still not great, the improvement in average FPS is very noticeable and a lot of the framerate stutters are gone. It's actually enjoyable now rather than just "playable".
That's possibly the biggest FPS increase a driver has ever caused in the history of drivers
The 1% lows are concerning, but it's crazy you mention the stutter is gone when the lows indicate the opposite!

@W1zzard are any of the TPU test titles openGL?
If so, this might be one of those rare cases it's worth re-benching due to a driver update

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus B550-F Gaming WiFi
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 6600 Eagle (de-shrouded)
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2
Display(s) 2 x Asus 1080p 60Hz IPS
Case Antec P101 Silent
Audio Device(s) Ifi Zen DAC V2
Power Supply Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 650W Platinum
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k
Keyboard Akko 3108 V2 (Akko Pink linears)
I'm well aware of the game having a very crude game engine written in Java using the library LWJGL (I believe), and this language and its libraries with the resulting inability to write efficient and reliable code. Game engines usually interface with the OS to read input events, uses threading smart and efficiently to avoid rendering and IO affecting each other, and hopefully reduce/avoid heap allocations and random memory accesses in performance critical code, etc. all of which is hard or impossible in Java. If this was written efficiently in C using OpenGL well, then it should easily be able to push 2000 FPS with this level of geometry.

And I don't mean this as criticism of Minecraft as a game, I'm well aware of it starting as a hobby project that went viral. I'm saying this because I'm well aware of the technical limitations of this game, and you are right about it facing effectively a CPU bottleneck (of sorts). But having a vastly faster CPU (which I what I assume you mean by "IPC") will not completely eliminate these performance bottlenecks, in short some highlights why;
- Java will result in layers of extra function calls, many of which will result in cache misses of a type which a faster CPU can't do much.
- Incompatibilities of Java's types and OpenGL's state machine design resulting in loads of heap allocations, Java's garbage collection, and the resulting memory fragmentation. All of these will not scale well with a faster CPU.
- Inefficient use of OpenGL itself, which has nothing to do with Java. Even an infinitely fast CPU can't make up for inefficient batching of operations. The solution is obviously a better engine design.
So there are design bottlenecks too.

Was your comparison of RX 6600 and GTX 1060 with the same or a comparable PC?
Because I find it interesting that the Nvidia card didn't experience the same level of slowdown. So if your description is correct, it would mean that the difference here is due to overhead on those API calls, not the game engine itself. As mentioned, I suspect it has to do with updates to vertex buffers, and find it puzzling that their new driver implementation is so much worse in this regard.

And scratch what I said about testing my old Radeon card. (I used it in a Haswell machine which broke.) It turns out they dropped support for my R7 260, even though it's 2nd gen GCN. (Thanks AMD!)

Yeah there's been fans of Minecraft from day one wanting it to be remade in it's own game engine. Being based on Java makes it very accessible for the modding community and so I can understand why they didn't migrate it to something else, it just makes the in-game FPS kind of crappy when it shouldn't be. That's the trade-off I guess.

The changes were just a graphics card upgrade, yeah. Otherwise identical machine. You know more than I do about API calls but sounds to me like you're right.

One interesting thing I found is that the 22.7.1 driver absolutely HATES the Optifine 1.6.4 implementation of anisotropic filtering. No joke, I was getting 20fps average with it set at 16x! Not sure what's going on there but it runs terrible. But disabling makes it all good.

That's possibly the biggest FPS increase a driver has ever caused in the history of drivers
The 1% lows are concerning, but it's crazy you mention the stutter is gone when the lows indicate the opposite!

It actually does feel much better, even though the numbers suggest it's worse in terms of 0.1% lows. Previously there were constant microstutters as if the game was struggling to maintain Vsync framerate, which seem to be gone now. The huge dips while rendering chunks are somewhat predictable and so they're actually not that big of an issue. Overall the experience is much better and it's one of those situations where the numbers only show half the story.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It actually does feel much better, even though the numbers suggest it's worse in terms of 0.1% lows. Previously there were constant microstutters as if the game was struggling to maintain Vsync framerate, which seem to be gone now. The huge dips while rendering chunks are somewhat predictable and so they're actually not that big of an issue. Overall the experience is much better and it's one of those situations where the numbers only show half the story.
You werent getting the whole 'hitting Vsync refresh rate' latency spikes were you?

In another thread i posted images from a youtube video where they proved 58FPS with a cap could be 1/4 the input latency of 60Hz Vsync on, and hitting 60FPS

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Being that AMD has some unified drivers, it sounds like he somehow removed his chipset and USB Drivers
(DDU screwup, perhaps)
Yeah nope happened to me too all USB Devices just stopped no power to KB or Mouse or USB HDD's either also had a black screen I had to hit the power button to reboot

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
@W1zzard are any of the TPU test titles openGL?
Nope, pretty much nobody uses OpenGL outside of academia .. I am rebenching GPUs with newest drivers right now. No game changes other than F1 2021 -> F1 2022, but slightly higher CPU OC, slightly better memory timings

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
It's just a pity that the new drivers have reduced OC VRAM on the RX 6700 XT from 2150 to 2120 MHz :/
Now granted I am using an older profile I made and I am also usually on Beta drivers so this was not a clean install either but?
I'm currently messing with getting my absolute max OC right now so having Fast Timings enabled is kinda of an experiment.
2150R.jpg

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Yeah there's been fans of Minecraft from day one wanting it to be remade in it's own game engine. Being based on Java makes it very accessible for the modding community and so I can understand why they didn't migrate it to something else, it just makes the in-game FPS kind of crappy when it shouldn't be. That's the trade-off I guess.
I do play it from time to time, while the frame rate seems fine to me, it's the game glitches, freezes and variable input lag that annoys me (not fun in survivor mode), but most of these have probably little to do with the graphics driver.

I honestly think the performance would be good enough if it was stable, no one really need >200 FPS.

One interesting thing I found is that the 22.7.1 driver absolutely HATES the Optifine 1.6.4 implementation of anisotropic filtering. No joke, I was getting 20fps average with it set at 16x! Not sure what's going on there but it runs terrible. But disabling makes it all good.
That's really interesting, as Anisotropic filtering is a hardware feature exposed through the API. It's normally just a property set on a texture, and normally only slightly increases the memory bandwidth and TMU usage, so normally a no-brainer to enable in any game.

Do you have any other OpenGL game so you can force AF in the driver and see if behaves the same? If not there is always Unigine Valley.

Nope, pretty much nobody uses OpenGL outside of academia ..
Just a few years ago big studios like Valve and Id used to support it, but most of their newer titles use Vulkan instead. As no recent big titles uses it, it's probably not very relevant for your benchmarks, but that doesn't mean good OpenGL support is irrelevant for gamers, as most gamers probably have many OpenGL games in their collection. A few well known titles includes;
Doom (2016): also supports Vulkan
Ion Fury (2019)
Farming Simulator 22 (2021): not as default, also supports Vulkan
CS: GO (2014): only in Linux and OS X, also supports Vulkan
Rocket League (2015): Linux only, but may be dropped
Dota 2 (2013): dropped OpenGL in favor of Vulkan
Plus countless of these cheap "simulator" games and Unity games.

Many of these support either DirectX or Vulkan too, so we are basically left with indie games and some emulators on Windows supporting only OpenGL. At this point there are probably no demanding OpenGL games for Windows, yet stability and consistent performance will remain important to gamers. So in conclusion, it's probably not very relevant for your benchmarks, not unless you started to "review" drivers.

Unfortunately, pretty much any multi-API game will achieve this support through some kind of abstraction layer, usually resulting in sub-par performance for the "second class" APIs.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
OpenGL support is irrelevant for gamers
OpenGL is easy to learn because it's very high-level, which also makes it great to teach graphics concepts. For games this high-level approach is bad because you can't do things your way, or they are slow. There's a huge number of extensions, some vendor-specific, that try to work around this, but usually it's just easier to use Vulkan/DX12/DX11. OpenGL ES is big on mobile devices though.

Internal stress-test don't work on any settings. 6900XT Waterforce.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
A few well known titles includes;
Doom (2016): also supports Vulkan
Ion Fury (2019)
Farming Simulator 22 (2021): not as default, also supports Vulkan
CS: GO (2014): only in Linux and OS X, also supports Vulkan
Rocket League (2015): Linux only, but may be dropped
Dota 2 (2013): dropped OpenGL in favor of Vulkan
Plus countless of these cheap "simulator" games and Unity games.

Stardew Valley (2D game) just switched from DX9 to OpenGL earlier this year. Likely for cross platform compatibility but not sure. Did mess up compatibility with some older Intel iGPU computers, tho, Sandy Bridge being the big one. Ivy Bridge seems to work OK though.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."

Try Iris instead, it should work great. Especially if your primary aim is to use Optifine to load shaders, Iris is much better.

But yeah, there are a significant amount of OpenGL games, they may not be the most visually stunning titles around, but the number of games using it has significantly increased with developers and gamers becoming increasingly interested on Linux gaming and the Steam Deck.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
OpenGL support is irrelevant for gamers
That cut is more than a little misleading, considering what I actually said was;
As no recent big titles uses it, it's probably not very relevant for your benchmarks, but that doesn't mean good OpenGL support is irrelevant for gamers, as most gamers probably have many OpenGL games in their collection.
When nearly all GPUs on the market are fast enough to run popular OpenGL games at a satisfying performance level, it doesn't make much sense to benchmark them. But having reliable and stable OpenGL support will still be important as games like Minecraft are still immensely popular, with >200M copies sold and is still one of the most popular games today. So solid OpenGL is important to gamers.

OpenGL is easy to learn because it's very high-level, which also makes it great to teach graphics concepts. For games this high-level approach is bad because you can't do things your way, or they are slow. There's a huge number of extensions, some vendor-specific, that try to work around this, but usually it's just easier to use Vulkan/DX12/DX11.
I think you are confusing old OpenGL 1.x with modern OpenGL, and while most of the legacy features are still there, no recent software utilizes it. Obsolete OpenGL might still be used in education though, it was last time I checked. OpenGL 4.x isn't higher level than DirectX 9-11, it's just much less bloated and cleaner, and more performant. OpenGL 4.x isn't as intuitive as OpenGL 1.x to teach though.
Many think that DirectX 12 and Vulkan are low-level APIs, but they're not, at least not in the sense that a programmer would think, like the low-level APIs the drivers use or consoles use(used to have?). DirectX 12 and Vulkan gives more control over many parameters to the driver, settings about buffers, allocations etc, which can be used to harness more performance, but they are still high-level APIs in the sense that they are completely abstracted from the GPU architecture. The driver still translate these APIs into the true low-level API of the GPUs.

Stardew Valley (2D game) just switched from DX9 to OpenGL earlier this year. Likely for cross platform compatibility but not sure. Did mess up compatibility with some older Intel iGPU computers, tho, Sandy Bridge being the big one. Ivy Bridge seems to work OK though.
Stardew Valley has supported OpenGL for Linux for years. I guess they just realized it was less maintenance to just support OpenGL, as it's more widely supported. Keeping all kinds of old testing hardware isn't simple either, at some point we must expect developer to make compromises.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Nope, pretty much nobody uses OpenGL outside of academia .. I am rebenching GPUs with newest drivers right now. No game changes other than F1 2021 -> F1 2022, but slightly higher CPU OC, slightly better memory timings
Good to know

A lot of workstation/rendering stuff is still OGL, but that's not really TPU's target market

Do you have any more info on what they changed to drastically change this performance?

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.6.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
It is not about the difference in performance, but about the very fact and reason for doing so. Oddly enough, so far the OC from 2000 MHz to 2150 was every time, and now it is 2120 and once 2150 MHz :confused:
again you won't see any difference going from 2120 and 2150 and sounds like you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
again you won't see any difference going from 2120 and 2150 and sounds like you are complaining for the sake of complaining.
And as someone who’s OCing his it’s still “dynamic” and usually only hits 2140 regardless….oh and you can still set it 2150 so I don’t know where this is coming from….

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
And as someone who’s OCing his it’s still “dynamic” and usually only hits 2140 regardless….oh and you can still set it 2150 so I don’t know where this is coming from….
It seems to be unstable at 2150 for them now? Doesn't matter whatsoever though, given the complete absence of a performance difference between 2150 and 2150.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
It seems to be unstable at 2150 for them now? Doesn't matter whatsoever though, given the complete absence of a performance difference between 2150 and 2150.
I agree in principle but I’m monitoring it in real-time and it just fluctuates between 2138 and 2140 as for any real world performance gains I will admit it’s something I haven’t tested. I just maxed it for the sake of it. I have not experienced any kind of instability in my benching/stress testing.
Because I’m always changing drivers like socks(been on 2 today) I always run my same suite of tests on every driver.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Whenever I do a driver install I like to run a Stress Test in AMD software. 22.6.1 was broken and caused nothing but issues for me. I installed this driver and actually updated everything, Windows was reset. I also changed the MB but used the same brand. With any previous driver I would see 255 Watts of Power draw reported by AMD. With this new driver I see 210 Watts Power draw and the GPU temp does not go past 42 C (Waterblock) but the clock is around 2400 MHZ. I just hope it will be stable though. I played 2 hours of TWWH this morning and it was fine. I will say though that it would seem the logging software is buggy.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
They dont use pretty graphs so i got bored with a TL;DR - but they have a lot of specifics there on some performance regressions as well