• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

April fool's?

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1 (modified to have two bridge rectifiers)
Software Windows 11 Home

No.

This is 100% executive speak...and someone trying to "solve a problem" that doesn't exist.

Let me start by saying everything has a MTBF. You have ratings on things like switches of millions of presses...meaning that if today I bought a mouse and new I'd average 100 clicks per day, I'd average maybe 10000 days of usage before the switch gives out and it's dead. What this executive is stating is that instead of buying a 1,000,000 MTBF switch you'd buy a mouse somewhere nearer to 5,000,000 MTBF click switch. (365 days/year * 70 years/life * 100 clicks/day = 2,555,000, then you double to make it functionally longer than any human life).

Now...instead of that "steep" price to buy a new mouse and keyboard you just need to pay a monthly fee. $6 a month is only $72 a year...and at 70*72 you'd pay them $5040 for your incredible forever mouse that would last forever...

If you somehow don't get this, then explain something like Office 365. It's cheaper than buying a $300 office software suite...but if you maintain the same office suite for 4 years it's overall cost is actually lower...and MS wants this to happen. Logitech pretends their software makes things special, builds a slightly better mouse, and manages to charge you through the roof for as a "fully featured software platform based upon their ground breaking hardware." Executive speak for amortized over time and entirely done not as an improvement of things but as a way to charge you more for less.

-The punchline is that there isn't a joke....and now I'm sad.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.4, 4.8Ghz Ring 190W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Not to mention they can book the future value of this and use it to take out more debt etc.

I didn't like the office subscription and I dont like this.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
she's speaking to her customer base, the investors, who want to see a subscription based model from her just like NZXT latest sub offering. The only fools are the ones who still think they are the customers in today's sub economy, people are the product. Investors are the customers and they get more excited over new revenue streams than they do if sold 1.5% more keyboards this quarter than the same quarter last year.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Let me start by saying everything has a MTBF. You have ratings on things like switches of millions of presses...meaning that if today I bought a mouse and new I'd average 100 clicks per day, I'd average maybe 10000 days of usage before the switch gives out and it's dead. What this executive is stating is that instead of buying a 1,000,000 MTBF switch you'd buy a mouse somewhere nearer to 5,000,000 MTBF click switch. (365 days/year * 70 years/life * 100 clicks/day = 2,555,000, then you double to make it functionally longer than any human life).

Those are thoretical numbers. Switches can and do give out way sooner than that, depending on a multitude of factors.

When I first saw the headline (on Arstechnica) I thought it would be a pretty nifty service, because I assumed you basically subscribed to a mouse, as in you'd get their new top of the line mouse when it was released, or a high end model of your choice at certain intervals. Or something like that, coupled with free shipping and like extra service and stuff and fluff. That is not something I would use, but I could see the value of it to some people. "Forever mouse" as in "new mouse regurarly" kind of thing. Then I realised they literally meant an eternal mouse with "cool software" and that the software would cost money and that's a hard no.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
No.....just no

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Did someone at BMW give Logitech a sip of their coolaid

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The global money machine is at it again, milking everything they can before it crashes and they cry that their trillions are hurting and need more friends and our politicians give it to them.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
She comes from Unilever, so do believe that she knows a thing or two of making sure you think you'll have a choice, except you don't. And getting the most € out of every milligram of a consumable.
Also, she has 10-ish more years in her career-path before retirement, so of course there is nothing else to prove but to now attempt all the crazy ideas and see if they stick.

I laughed at the watch comparison. I will chough-up the coin for a reliable, "perpetual" watch, even though I know that watches reaching 120 years now require a lot of maintenance just to keep them working because all materials decay and the manufacturing process, whilst always advanced for the time, will be really outdated after a century. If it outlasts one avg. human lifetime, it's already "perpetual" by current perception.

I will pay up front to guarantee two things:
- It is not a good investment plan for me to pay for something perpetually, that I will never own.
- As a manufacturer, you'll be pressed to provide a finished product facing a final sale and your credibility on the line, than with a continuous model where you "keep providing support" (See: Spotify Car Thing, Anything made by Google, numerous Android-based devices, BMWs, and the current consoles vs. PS2/GameCube/Xbox - The First).

Last edited:
Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
"Stupid is as Stupid does" - Forest....Forest Gump

'nuff said !

ARF

She comes from Unilever, so do believe that she knows a thing or two of making sure you think you'll have a choice, except you don't. And getting the most € out of every milligram of a consumable.
Also, she has 10-ish more years in her career-path before retirement, so of course there is nothing else to prove but to now attempt all the crazy ideas and see if they stick.

I laughed at the watch comparison. I will chough-up the coin for a reliable, "perpetual" watch, even though I know that watches reaching 120 years now require a lot of maintenance just to keep them working because all materials decay and the manufacturing process, whilst always advanced for the time, will be really outdated after a century. If it outlasts one avg. human lifetime, it's already "perpetual" by current perception.

I will pay up front to guarantee two things:
- It is not a good investment plan for me to pay for something perpetually,
- As a manufacturer, you'll be pressed to provide a finished product facing a final sale and your credibility on the line, than with a continuous model where you "keep providing support" (See: Spotify Car Thing, Anything made by Google, numerous Android-based devices, BMWs, and the current consoles vs. PS2/GameCube/Xbox - The First).

Too complicated explanation. It's very simple - greed, lots and lots of it. The absolute, perpetual amount of greed that wants to charge all of us a perpetual amount of money.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Original Interview: https://www.theverge.com/24206847/l...use-keyboard-gaming-decoder-podcast-interview

One of the comments resounds how what the actual market is asking for is being totally ignored:
iPetrCZ:
Logitech:"Here is our new forever mouse!!"
People:"Cool, so it has changable parts and you are going keep making those forever so that if something breaks, I can just go and have it fixed:"
Logitech:"No! Subscription!!"

Seriously, I think a consultant job where you would go around board rooms and just tell them that stuff like this is dumb, has a future...

Last edited:
Those are thoretical numbers. Switches can and do give out way sooner than that, depending on a multitude of factors.

When I first saw the headline (on Arstechnica) I thought it would be a pretty nifty service, because I assumed you basically subscribed to a mouse, as in you'd get their new top of the line mouse when it was released, or a high end model of your choice at certain intervals. Or something like that, coupled with free shipping and like extra service and stuff and fluff. That is not something I would use, but I could see the value of it to some people. "Forever mouse" as in "new mouse regurarly" kind of thing. Then I realised they literally meant an eternal mouse with "cool software" and that the software would cost money and that's a hard no.

So...MTBF is M...or mean.

The point was, at least partially, building a mouse "of such quality it would last a lifetime" would require both replacements inside of a normal distribution curve, outside of that curve (think "power user") and simply those that failed because a mean is only average.

My point in using MTBF is that it's a known commodity. If we start talking something like a failure rate of less than 10% for something composed of multiple components which can go bad....and the discussion rapidly approaches the useless conclusion of "if you give me unlimited money I'll give you unlimited things." Of course, in this case we're looking at finite money, over the course of a relatively finite time span, with a very finite opportunity to have something that people regularly already spend a few hundred dollars on for a few years of use making sense as a service instead of a thing.

My 2 cents is that this is a fantastic way to deal if you're a business. Overhead is now one step closer to a finite value....because nobody "likes" hiring a new employee and seeing a new $4000 bill to get them a laptop and hardware. They like seeing a monthly billing of $200...where your retention is anywhere between 18-24 months so they about break even. It's almost like the system is designed to churn up and eat people...which a younger me would be depressed by. The older me...well, you either succeed in the system or find a way to cope. I like copium....because it's better than raging against a machine too large to even know that you're raging against it.

ARF

My 2 cents is that this is a fantastic way to deal if you're a business. Overhead is now one step closer to a finite value....because nobody "likes" hiring a new employee and seeing a new $4000 bill to get them a laptop and hardware. They like seeing a monthly billing of $200...where your retention is anywhere between 18-24 months so they about break even. It's almost like the system is designed to churn up and eat people...which a younger me would be depressed by. The older me...well, you either succeed in the system or find a way to cope. I like copium....because it's better than raging against a machine too large to even know that you're raging against it.

In reality when a company fires a given employee, it takes from him/her all that hardware, and transfers it to the new employee.
So, when you quote "4000-dollar-bill", you must be well aware of the extreme exaggeration.

Don't forget that a physical mouse costs 5$ and can work dozens of years, if its interfaces are supported.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
You can buy a basically perfect high tier wireless mouse for what, 50-60 bucks nowadays? If you are willing to ho wired - even cheaper. But let’s say 60 bucks. Let’s say it serves you for 2 years. Obviously, this is low-balling it to the extreme since we’ve all seen mice survive much, much longer. Hell, I’ve seen a decade or more. But let’s say 2 years and 60 bucks. Then you pay said 60 again. That translates to 2.5 dollars monthly. There is no chance in hell any proposed subscription will be this cheap. As such, even entertaining such an idea is silly.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So...MTBF is M...or mean.

The point was, at least partially, building a mouse "of such quality it would last a lifetime" would require both replacements inside of a normal distribution curve, outside of that curve (think "power user") and simply those that failed because a mean is only average.

My point in using MTBF is that it's a known commodity. If we start talking something like a failure rate of less than 10% for something composed of multiple components which can go bad....and the discussion rapidly approaches the useless conclusion of "if you give me unlimited money I'll give you unlimited things." Of course, in this case we're looking at finite money, over the course of a relatively finite time span, with a very finite opportunity to have something that people regularly already spend a few hundred dollars on for a few years of use making sense as a service instead of a thing.

Yeah I get it, I just wanted to be pedantic. At my job they for some reason rent my iPhone 11, and at this point I'm sure it has cost them at least twice as much as it would have if they had just bought it.
You can buy a basically perfect high tier wireless mouse for what, 50-60 bucks nowadays?

I don't think you can. I've been looking at replacements for my Logitech G602 (because middle click issues; I might just end up replacing the switch) and the closest Logitech equivalent is >€100.

ARF

You can buy a basically perfect high tier wireless mouse for what, 50-60 bucks nowadays? If you are willing to ho wired - even cheaper. But let’s say 60 bucks. Let’s say it serves you for 2 years. Obviously, this is low-balling it to the extreme since we’ve all seen mice survive much, much longer. Hell, I’ve seen a decade or more.

I have been using a Logitech M-UA E96 since 2006. It's alive and well.
It's been liked because it is heavy.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I don't think you can. I've been looking at replacements for my Logitech G602 (because middle click issues; I might just end up replacing the switch) and the closest Logitech equivalent is >€100.
Don’t stick to overhyped brands and you are absolutely able to find great mice for 60-ish bucks. Even more so when stuff goes on sale. Just look through TPU mice reviews. As an example, I just ordered a Zaopin Z1 Pro for 43 bucks since it was on discount. I don’t think many in the mice community would argue it’s not a high tier mice, considered pretty much the best in the egg-shape family currently, alongside Fantech Aria.

tl:dr Logitech has been overpriced and undercooked for years now. There is a reason why the entire mice community dogpiled on them for daring to price the GPX2 at 160.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 32Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity2, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB & 4TB 980 PRO, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Last edited:
In reality when a company fires a given employee, it takes from him/her all that hardware, and transfers it to the new employee.
So, when you quote "4000-dollar-bill", you must be well aware of the extreme exaggeration.

Don't forget that a physical mouse costs 5$ and can work dozens of years, if its interfaces are supported.

In the last 10 years I've had 3 jobs. 1 gave me a brand new laptop. Another gave me an executive hand-me-down because they didn't like not having the latest iMac...which meant I had a new piece of hardware functionally. The last job gave me a two year old laptop because they experienced a huge business downturn and had hardware lying around for the first time in ages.

Most companies bring new people on, in my experience, because they are growing. Not all...but nobody is willing to go work a job when a short time ago they shed a lot of positions...because they'll do it again.

I appreciate that sometimes things get reused...but in my last 4 jobs 2 have decided to simply retire the laptop I returned....because a 4+ year old laptop bought at mid-range value new, is basically a potato. That's the price of buying midrange and having someone stay. That said, I stated an 18-24 month turn-over...so I have a little gap between my anecdote and reality. Yep. Won't deny that. At the same time, don't give a crap because this is a conversation about a piece of hardware that literally could plug into anything from the 80's on (with a dongle)...so I feel more serious about a mouse potentially being a perpetual purpose...in the right light....

ARF

In the last 10 years I've had 3 jobs. 1 gave me a brand new laptop. Another gave me an executive hand-me-down because they didn't like not having the latest iMac...which meant I had a new piece of hardware functionally. The last job gave me a two year old laptop because they experienced a huge business downturn and had hardware lying around for the first time in ages.

What mice did they give you? 5$ ones? 10$ ones?

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage 256+240+128+480+2x1TB SSDs + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Clown world strikes again. Every day the phrase "you will own nothing and be happy" is more and more reality

Mouse as a service literally takes your cheese. Next: Imagine pay-per-click and they get their hooks into click farms.
As I do shitpost from time to time, pay-per-keystroke would make hella high bills when I'm drunk and online

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
We already had rodents with DLC, I'm not sure I'm ready for one with subscription.
The whole idea is stupid either way you look at it. Logitech is pretty bad at maintaining their software long-term, so who's to tell whether my magic "forever-mouse" won't turn into a useless paperweight once they decide that they no longer wish to maintain it due to lower-than-expected userbase, or if they decide to completely revamp that software for "modern times" while abandoning some features I was really dependent on.
Another big no-no, is that electronics has their "physical" lifespan(MTBF etc), and "moral" lifespan (whether it's still useable/practical). My good-ole modded G5 is still rocking like a champ, but realistically it's totally unusable on my main rig due to the latter. It's unstable at 2000dpi, and 1600 is not enough. DSP advances play a big role as well, cause my G603 at the same DPI feels wa-a-a-ay better than G5, and unlike it's granpa it works just fine on a 4K screen and gives me at least enough headroom to run it on my future ultrawide or 8k monitor. You can't "update" a sensor to higher DPI(unless you intentionally lock it from the factory, which will make EU courts really happy post-factum).