• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ARROW lake overclocking

From this video:

I copied this transcript from youtube:

But we are bringing a ton of new features into how we overclock. Arrow Lake has a tremendous number of new overclocking capabilities and features. See, having a new architecture, the new SOC, a multi chip design, presents new opportunities for overclockers.

So we have a lot of new features. Right off, just knowing that we now have multiple chips,
how about the ability to overclock the interfaces between the chips that are talking to each other?
So we have a new die to die overclocking feature that's really exciting.
Die to Die is an interface that is between our compute die and our SOC die where the memory controller resides. And what's cool for over clockers is now we're allowing you to overclock that interface, creating a whole new opportunity to improve bandwidth and further tune your system.

We have a new feature that allows you to configure the processor's over clocked ratios in 16.6 megahertz steps. In fact, they can be larger. But 16.6 megahertz is interesting because now overclockers can move in sub hundred megahertz steps. So now, overclockers can configure each core.

For P-Cores, in 16 megahertz increments and their E-Cores, each group
of four can be also configured in 16 megahertz increments
for those top frequencies. So imagine you reach the end, what you thought was the end, 'cause you couldn't go another a hundred megahertz up, well, with this, you might be able to go 16 or 32 or so on to find where that absolute max threshold is for your system.

We've got a new dual B clock architecture.

Now, everyone knows about B clock going back 20 years. You know, there's generally always been a single B clock input. You know, that's your base clock. Now, we have dual B clock and that is helping us because you can now have a separate clock frequency for your compute die versus the rest of the chip, the I/O die, memory, et cetera, which is really important because you're, with, when it comes to B clock overclocking, you're always at the mercy of the first subsystem to fail. So by being able to separate that into dual B clock, you essentially can have one section of the, of the die,
of the processor, at a higher frequency than others. You can have, for example, one external clock
and one internal clock, or you could actually control them both internally. So it gives you a lot of flexibility, a lot of choice.

Now we have the ability to do fabric over clocking on Arrow Lake, another opportunity brought by the new architecture. This essentially can improve the communications within the SOC die itself.
And when you're doing memory overclocking, you, you may choose to overclock the fabric, die to die. And then of course, the memory frequency as well to ensure that full bandwidth without bottleneck exists.

- We also have something called DLVR bypass. So this is one of the more higher end, sort
of higher tech type of features. It lets you totally bypass our automatic voltage control.
- [Dan] DLVR is Digital Linear Voltage Regulator. And it is a new power delivery architecture
for desktop processors. And it brings with it some, some great efficiency benefits.
So that power efficiency is there. And it, it can allow the opportunity for overcclockers
to essentially have per core voltage. So for each P-Core, you can have its own voltage
and for each group of four E-Cores, you can configure a voltage for those as well.
So it's added flexibility. You don't have to run them all at that same fixed voltage.

For our extreme overclockers, people looking to go after world records, that top 1% of all consumers, they can actually bypass DLVR.

Again, it's, it's overclocking, it's extreme overclocking. We expect to see that done with like, liquid nitrogen, but you can bypass it such that your voltages can go, you know, even higher and enable, you know, those, those maximum LN2 liquid helium type frequencies.

Arrow Lake's new overclocking features are available also within the extreme tuning utility,
specifically the 16.6 megahertz ratios, the dual B clock, viewing the memory telemetry in a few settings as well. All these settings can be found in the XTU user interface.

So for me personally, one of the things I'm excited about with Arrow Lake, really, are the new 16.6 megahertz ratios. It's actually hard to pick a favorite. So I'll just also have to say exploring that die
to die interface, overclocking, and the fabric overclocking as well.

And I think for me, on the memory overclocking side, I'm gonna get some modules that can run at
that 8,000 mega transfer range, but that have headroom so that I can push them a bit further.
I'm gonna really go after that 9,000 plus range over time. So we'll see, see what I can do there.

But I'm just really excited to, to really get a handle on and explore these new, really, customizations that I can make that were never possible on prior generations.

I am not an overclocker, but some features seem very interesting, as separate voltage for each P core.