• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3 GB

Ribozyme

Idle noise

This seems like a great card, looks are great(only a backplate is missing), performance top notch, BUT that idle noise? Would there be a way to modify the BIOS so the idle fan speed can be reduced? Or is it possible to slide the fan speed slower in an over clocking program?

If it had comparable idle noise of the 780 asus dc2 (which has the same cooler??) this would totally be my next card. Why do so many vendors screw up idle noise? Who cares about idle temps? I'm sure all modern cards can be cooled passive in idle with the heatsinks that go on them nowadays.

System Name KOV
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
Cooling H100i Cappellix White
Memory Corsair 3600kHz 32GB
Video Card(s) RX 7900XT
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500gb, Corsair 500gb ssd, 500GB 840 pro & 1TB samsung 980pro. M2.SSD 960 evo 250GB
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B 165mhz, Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD 165mhz
Case Corsair 680x
Audio Device(s) ON Board and Hyper X cloud flight wireless headset and Bose speakers
Power Supply AX1200i Corsair
Mouse Logitech G502x plus lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed and G13 gamepad
Software windows 11
Going to get two of these.

gery86

I found a little mistake:

"Please note that the dBA scale is not linear but logarithmic. 40 dBA is not twice as loud as 20 dBA, as a 3 dBA increase results in double the sound pressure."

That's wrong.

6 dB increse results in double the sound pressure! (why? -> L=20*lg (p/p0))

vodanh

W1zzard, you should really modify the wording in all your R9 and R7 reviews where you state:

This is misleading. The 280, 270, 260, (and presumably 250) are the same dies as their predecessors and have three TMDS links but still two TMDS clock generators. AMD has only modified their VBIOS so that two TMDS displays with the same timings can share the same clock generator. Even then, AMD software limits this capability to only work when all three TMDS outputs have the same clock signal.

This means that you can only use all the outputs when you have three identical TMDS monitors.

NVidia's solution is much more flexible since it has three clock generators and three TMDS links, so all the displays can be mismatched without issues. The current phrasing implies that AMD has similar display output capability as NVidia, which is not true. With mismatched monitors, AMD cards can still only use two TMDS outputs. I suspect it may cause a few headaches for people who buy these cards expecting all the outputs to work with mixed monitors when in reality they won't. Maybe the R9 290 series will fix this problem.

Sorry to resurrect the thread but the R9 280x is still fairly relevant and this is one of the pages that comes up when searching for 3 monitor issues and TMDS on the Asus R9 280x.
I was using the Asus 7790 with the following setup : 1 DVI 24" 1920x1200, 1 VGA to DVI 24" 1920x1200, 1 HDMI 17" 1280x1024. ( My Acer has a weird issue it doesn't wake from monitor sleep in DVI, I have to cycle power to get video output, but the VGA seems to work correctly). The R9 280x seems to have the exact same output ports, however the same 3 monitor setup does not work. I can only get 2 monitors to work at a time. I bought the card used so I didn't have all the cables, ordering the OEM active miniDP to DVI cable from ebay hoping it will enable a third monitor, but just annoying that I had to buy an adapter for it raiding up the total cost of the card. I find it really weird that the exact same setup worked on the 7790 but not the 280x and miss my third monitor. From all the descriptions they should both have two TMDS enabled, and the two 24" should use the same clock, and the third should get to use the second clock, but some cards only work with all the same clock/size monitors? I don't know if its a physical limitation or firmware limitation on the 280x, or driver limitation since it was enabled by drivers later in release for the 7790.

Also weird that the miniDP to DVI cables are fairly cheap for being active, the OEM ones for the 280x (as I type this I realize its for the MSI version of the card, the ASUS requires a normal sized DP to DVI adapter cable, with an active one being quite expensive for what it is ).

Last edited:

thevac579

Hi there
I'm not a professional like you.
Do Asus R9 280x it works with my power supply(Green 530 watt)???

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Hi there
I'm not a professional like you.
Do Asus R9 280x it works with my power supply(Green 530 watt)???
From what I can find the minimum requirement is a 550W with 30Amps on the 12V rail.
Your Rosewill Green has 33A so might be good enough if you don't overclock or have lots of accessories like lights or fans etc.