• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Reveals 500 Hz ROG Swift Esports Monitor With E-TN Panel and G-Sync

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
I'm tired of aggressive users attacking me and the FACTUAL information being shared. It's gotten very old and I've got ZERO tolerance for it. You want to debate your baseless arguments, tell it to a wall, because I don't care. I've done the research on this subject and understand the science behind the conclusions made by educated scientists. If you don't agree, that's ok, but take your factless shit-posting elsewhere. And stop creating new accounts to continue your arguments while simultaneously pretending to be someone else after I add you to my ignore list. It's pathetically transparent.
So, when you are asked to provide backup to your claims you do the normal. Act like a child and deflect because your unable to argue your points, probably because you have none.

You cannot even follow your own advice, to put up or put a cork on it. Truly, a show of character do you not think?

You made the accusation I made new accounts, prove it then. Its not allowed, you have nothing to lose. Or do you, if you are wrong? Consider that for a second. Because that, is not my account.

You always do this, you make claims and demand others to prove things to you. But when you are asked to do the same you go around in circles just shit-posting and complaining and blaming others.

So far you done nothing. I asked you to provide all these grandiose research you talk about. And still, not a single thing. Just accusations and complaints.

So, when you are asked to provide backup to your claims you do the normal. Act like a child and deflect because your unable to argue your points, probably because you have none.

You cannot even follow your own advice, to put up or put a cork on it. Truly, a show of character do you not think?

You made the accusation I made new accounts, prove it then. Its not allowed, you have nothing to lose. Or do you, if you are wrong? Consider that for a second. Because that, is not my account.

You always do this, you make claims and demand others to prove things to you. But when you are asked to do the same you go around in circles just shit-posting and complaining and blaming others.

So far you done nothing. I asked you to provide all these grandiose research you talk about. And still, not a single thing. Just accusations and complaints.
Perhaps I was unclear when I said the following...
You want to debate your baseless arguments, tell it to a wall, because I don't care.
Hmmm...

Google is your friend! Have fun..

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro

You only need to read back a bit, mate. All the research he's talking about is there:

You only need to read back a bit, mate. All the research he's talking about is there:
There was a reason I posted those links in that order. The first was an introduction to the concept, the second was a practical experiment anyone can try out, wiki had a few good information sections and finally the science papers from two well respected sources. Anyone who fails to understand after reading through that information is lacking... something..

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
This is getting silly beyond words.

Even fans and owners of fast screens are commenting how stupid this is.

They had to slow down the footage 36x as well.

I suppose in 3 years we see the same thing but slowed down more showing a obsolete 500hz been jerky and modern 2000hz been smooth. :)

So the focus shifting from refresh rate and response time to quality looks like it wont be happening any time soon, another refresh rate race on now, and of course 500hz like 144hz is a non standard refresh rate not been a multiple of 24 or 30.

An example of the problem this refresh rate craze can cause is here in this reddit thread. Link is in code box to prevent massive embed.

Code:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/lfqjvz/open_letter_to_lg_regarding_27gl850_and_its_issues/

Long thread so will summarise.

As we know manufacturers dont seem to have a problem now days of revisions that change features and fundamental metrics whilst keeping the same product model number.

Its been discovered the first gen LG27850 a 1440p 144hz panel, which also got heavily reviewed, doesnt actually have full DP 1.4 spec, it has the same bandwidth as DP 1.2 (alongside a bunch of feature changes, details in reddit link). To get around the bandwidth limitation, if the monitor is set to 144hz, it doesnt comply with VESA standards, LG took a shortcut by reducing the VBLANK and the problem eventually got noticed by this user. Out of curiosity I wanted to know if they at least complied on lower refresh rates, and struggled to find a way to get the info on nvidia drivers, but luckily on the create custom resolution screen, if you select automatic timings, it reports the EDID data, and I can confirm at 120hz and below the screen is actually compliant, so only an issue at 144hz, but it does show the corners been cut these companies are making to satisfy esport/FPS gamers.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
Almost correct. The human eye can not perceive individual frames of animation past 80hz, but can not perceive a difference of framerate beyond about 300hz to 320hz.

This is because of a WELL documented and proven physical limitation known as "persistence of vision". This condition is why we all easily enjoyed CRT screens BITD without actually seeing the individual scan-lines. Even at 50hz PAL standard, the human eye can not perceive the scan-lines of the electron gun. And before anyone says "It's because of the phosphor glow effect.", no it isn't. High-speed camera's have already debunked that nonsense.

This is why 300hz, 480hz and 500hz panels are a waste. They can not help the human eye see faster even if the screen can display a higher framerate.
I wonder if the extra Hz even if you can't push the frames will give a clearer image. Kinda like 240Hz TVs, they are getting 60hz input, yet look extra smooth.

I wonder if the extra Hz even if you can't push the frames will give a clearer image.
There is that possibility. However, diminishing returns are a very a real thing. The faster the hz, the lesser the difference, the lesser the effect and the lesser human perspective can perceive it.
Kinda like 240Hz TVs, they are getting 60hz input, yet look extra smooth.
That has to do with an artificial blending effect the many TVs apply to an input image that is at a lower framerate than the screen default. It's a neat effect and looks nice but it's just a fancy form of frame doubling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185088

Newer QDLED screens don't suffer from that problem so far. Of course they are brand new.
I believe you mean QD-OLED, naming scheme of Samsung is rubbish.
They do like any oled, they are organic, when part of the screen is pushed harder it will eventually die faster, but given that all pixels are blue they might age more evenly unlike wrgb.
OLEDs now are pretty good and with normal use burn in shouldn't be an issue unless you run a news channel 24/7.