• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bought an SSD that ended up being QLC, should I keep it?

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
TLDR: To any current or former owners of a Crucial P3 Plus or Corsair MP600 Core XT, what do (or did) you think about them?

So, I recently bought a 4TB Fanxiang S660 to use as my game drive in my main system. I chose this drive because I had an excellent experience with the 2TB version.

Unfortunately, while the 2TB drive uses TLC NAND (YMTC 128-layer TLC), the 4TB uses QLC (Micron 176-layer QLC.

I've been led to believe that QLC is objectively terrible compared to TLC and can even be worse than hard drives in some cases.

I did a small test comparing the QLC drive to the RAID0 SATA SSD array that it was supposed to replace. I copied Baldur's Gate 3 from my boot drive (2TB WD SN850X) to the same folder on both drives.

sequential-test-mx500-array.png

The SATA array (4x 1TB Crucial MX500) started out at around 3.5GB/s and then settled in at around 1.8GB/s until I stopped the run at 50%. That's perfectly in line with what synthetic tests show on it.

sequential-test-qlc-s660.png

...yeah, this pretty much speaks for itself. The QLC drive does 3.5GB/s for a bit before plummeting to around 200MB/s. That's absolutely terrible compared to synthetic results.

I also ran it on a WD SN570 (DRAMless TLC drive) I have in an external enclosure, and that drive settled around 450MB/s.

I know that sustained sequential performance isn't really real-world performance, but I do sometimes shuffle large files around on my system, and the SATA array handles that infinitely better.

The QLC drive performs way better in synthetic tests, but I don't know how relevant these are to real-world usage.

s660-4tb.png

And, of course, there's my concern about the endurance of QLC. The specific drive I got claims 2400TBW, but given that it's virtually identical to the Crucial P3 Plus and Corsair MP600 Core XT (both advertise around 900TBW), I have my doubts. The MX500s may not have the best endurance either, but they're still better than this when combined.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Games are typically pretty read heavy. Unless you are constantly cycling out games in your games library it should be fine in regards to endurance.

That's said performance may be subpar when initially downloading games. Once the QLC drive runs out of cache, it can only go as fast as the QLC can write. 200 MB/s is pretty fast for a QLC drive writing direct to NAND. The Samsung 870 QVO can only get 50 MB/s but then again the 870 QVO takes awhile to run through it's entire cache, something like 280 GB for the 8TB model. If you are quickly running into the direct write speeds on your QLC drive, it may not be ideal for a drive where you'll need to make 120 GB worth of writes on a semi-frequent basis.

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
IMHO, your testing methodology is flawed...

Perhaps you should try again, using a single drive vs. a single drive, both drives freshly formatted with zero contents, AND some "real world" usage scenarios... then maybe you could make some reasonably valid conclusions...

Also, copying files from one drive to another is not really an accurate indicator of a drive's overall performance capabilities, sure, it is ONE thing to consider, but certainly is NOT an all-encompassing statistic to use when comparing any 2 drives to each other :)

Last edited:
Games are typically pretty read heavy. Unless you are constantly cycling out games in your games library it should be fine in regards to endurance.

That's said performance may be subpar when initially downloading games. Once the QLC drive runs out of cache, it can only go as fast as the QLC can write. 200 MB/s is pretty fast for a QLC drive writing direct to NAND. The Samsung 870 QVO can only get 50 MB/s but then again the 870 QVO takes awhile to run through it's entire cache, something like 280 GB for the 8TB model. If you are quickly running into the direct write speeds on your QLC drive, it may not be ideal for a drive where you'll need to make 120 GB worth of writes on a semi-frequent basis.
I've never seen any tests on the Samsung 870 QVO 4 TiB that indicates it drops to 50MB/s in sustained writes and I've never seen xfer rates that low w/mine either. I've read 160MB/s is the worst sustained write perf. seen w/the Samsung 870 4 TiB. Random reads and writes w/the Samsung 870 QVO 4 TiB are better than any HDD I've ever had. The Samsung 870 QVO 4 TiB also has a 4GB Low Power DDR4 SDRAM cache that is larger than all the caches in all the HDD's I've ever had put together too.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Normally you wouldn't run out of cache unless you are writing some large files to it so it mostly doesn't matter.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I've never seen any tests on the Samsung 870 QVO 4 TiB that indicates it drops to 50MB/s in sustained writes and I've never seen xfer rates that low w/mine either. I've read 160MB/s is the worst sustained write perf. seen w/the Samsung 870 4 TiB. Random reads and writes w/the Samsung 870 QVO 4 TiB are better than any HDD I've ever had. The Samsung 870 QVO 4 TiB also has a 4GB Low Power DDR4 SDRAM cache that is larger than all the caches in all the HDD's I've ever had put together too.

Oh the drive can absolutely get that low after long sustained writes. I've see it when filling up my 8TB 870 QVO drives. There are also reviews bearing this out as well:

1694140577499.png

Note the difference in the above graph between the 1TB and 4TB models. This is down to difference in cache size as the larger the cache the longer the drive will sustain a higher write rate and thus the higher the average write speed it will have. By extension the actual write speed when the cache is full will be lower than the average figures presented in the chart above.

I've compared the sustained write speed of the 870 QVO 8TB to my Seagate Exos 18TB drives and the Seagate Exos drives average 235 MB's vs the QVO 8TB's 50 MB/s when copying games from a PCIe 4.0 drive (SK Hynix Platinum P41). As I said before though, the 8TB QVO has a larger cache than most QLC drives and is ideal when it comes to cache size as most people will not write more than 280 GB at a time. The 4TB QVO halves the cache size and is probably still ok for most users but as for other QLC drivers the same is not possible to say without a review.

And, of course, there's my concern about the endurance of QLC. The specific drive I got claims 2400TBW, but given that it's virtually identical to the Crucial P3 Plus and Corsair MP600 Core XT (both advertise around 900TBW), I have my doubts. The MX500s may not have the best endurance either, but they're still better than this when combined.
TBW ratings are not the same as the actual endurance of an SSD. They just represent the amount of writes you can do before your warranty is void. Some brands lowball more than others. A random Chinese brand could offer very high TBW ratings for marketing purposes, it doesn't mean anything if they don't have proper customer support. If your drive fails in 3 years, what are the chances you will really get a replacement from Fanxiang?

Usually NAND flash is durable enough that normal consumers don't have to worry about it. Micron QLC isn't bad, but QLC drives tend to struggle with any workload that spills outside the SLC cache.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
That sustained write speed is a no for me, it would prove to be excruciating when in a hurry.

Oh the drive can absolutely get that low after long sustained writes. I've see it when filling up my 8TB 870 QVO drives. There are also reviews bearing this out as well:

View attachment 312616

Note the difference in the above graph between the 1TB and 4TB models. This is down to difference in cache size as the larger the cache the longer the drive will sustain a higher write rate and thus the higher the average write speed it will have. By extension the actual write speed when the cache is full will be lower than the average figures presented in the chart above.

I've compared the sustained write speed of the 870 QVO 8TB to my Seagate Exos 18TB drives and the Seagate Exos drives average 235 MB's vs the QVO 8TB's 50 MB/s when copying games from a PCIe 4.0 drive (SK Hynix Platinum P41). As I said before though, the 8TB QVO has a larger cache than most QLC drives and is ideal when it comes to cache size as most people will not write more than 280 GB at a time. The 4TB QVO halves the cache size and is probably still ok for most users but as for other QLC drivers the same is not possible to say without a review.
Um, the Anandtech data shows the sustained writes dropped to 163MB/s NOT 50 MB/s. I've also NEVER seen it drop that low on my own Samsung 870 QVO.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
as a game drive... sure.
but fanxiang is ali express trash. and for that alone i'd imediately send it back.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Um, the Anandtech data shows the sustained writes dropped to 163MB/s NOT 50 MB/s. I've also NEVER seen it drop that low on my own Samsung 870 QVO.

You did not read my entire comment:

My original comment was stating the direct write to NAND speed, not the average.

You've never seen it drop that low? Have you actually ever tested the drive? The vast majority of people do not test their products when they get them. Go ahead and write 1TB of data to your drive and sample the current write speed (not the average, as that won't tell you the rate to which you are writing to NAND).

You did not read my entire comment:

My original comment was stating the direct write to NAND speed, not the average.

You've never seen it drop that low? Have you actually ever tested the drive? The vast majority of people do not test their products when they get them. Go ahead and write 1TB of data to your drive and sample the current write speed (not the average, as that won't tell you the rate to which you are writing to NAND).
I HAVE tested my Samsung 870 QVO, when I backed up my HDD image file to it and it never dropped to 50 MB/s. Are you saying Anandtech's SSD testing methodology isn't as good as yours?

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I HAVE tested my Samsung 870 QVO, when I backed up my HDD image file to it and it never dropped to 50 MB/s. Are you saying Anandtech's SSD testing methodology isn't as good as yours?

No, I'm saying you're mistaking average write speed for direct NAND write speed. There's nothing wrong with Anandtech's methodology, you just don't understand the difference.

Imaging a HDD to an SSD isn't a test, you've bottlenecked yourself by having a HDD in the equation. A HDD is going to be anywhere from 35 MB/s to 235 MB/s read speed on average depending on the performance of the HDD and other factors like file size / quantity and drive fragmentation. Even my high end Exos drives drop down to 35 MB/s when copying a lot of small files (and it's 100% de-fragmented as well). By copying from a HDD it means you are giving your 870 EVO vastly more time for the cache to recover and by extension reducing the likelihood of filling up the cache as compared to an SSD to SSD copy. In my test I used a SK Hynix P41 Platinum specifically to ensure the drive I was copying from was not a bottleneck.

You've also said nothing about the size of said image file either and it may have well been under the cache size to begin with. Hardly a test.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I've throttled my QVO 1TB by copying DVD images (about 8GB per image) from USB3 external disk however that is highly specific large files with no fragmentation scenario.
Basically full speed copy. Larger drives with bigger caches will likely need faster sources with large enough files to bottleneck them in a reasonable amount of time and when it happens it becomes a pretty painful file copy from that point forward, enough to pause the copy for a bit to allow the cache to recover before continuing.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu

My 870 qvo does 150-155mb/s, not 50, but the 870 qvo only has a cache of 78gb, even in the 8tb version.
I have tested the 870 QVO, I have an 8tb version in a SATA external drive. The cache in the 1tb version is 42gb, the rest are the same at 78gb.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
My 870 qvo does 150-155mb/s, not 50, but the 870 qvo only has a cache of 78gb, even in the 8tb version.
I have tested the 870 QVO, I have an 8tb version in a SATA external drive. The cache in the 1tb version is 42gb, the rest are the same at 78gb.

The actual amount you can write to the disk before running out of cache is going to be higher than the actual cache size unless you fill the cache before it has a chance to recover. For me that was approx 280 GB before performance took a dip. AnandTech's review is showing the drive running out of cache almost instantly while Tom's hardware was able to write 175 GB before the cache ran out. My 280 GB figure might be down to the fact that I used a real world data set of mixed files sizes instead of synthetic data which resulted in the transfer taking longer as compared to synthetic data.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
The actual amount you can write to the disk before running out of cache is going to be higher than the actual cache size unless you fill the cache before it has a chance to recover. For me that was approx 280 GB before performance took a dip. AnandTech's review is showing the drive running out of cache almost instantly while Tom's hardware was able to write 175 GB before the cache ran out. My 280 GB figure might be down to the fact that I used a real world data set of mixed files sizes instead of synthetic data which resulted in the transfer taking longer as compared to synthetic data.
Likewise in my scenario it took about 2.5 seasons of Dr House before the cache ran out (about 115GB).

I've decided that I'm not going to use the drive in my main system, but I'm currently testing it for another use case.

I currently have a 1TB SSD in a USB-C enclosure that I use for portable storage and for use with Ventoy for installing OSes. I'm going to try the 4TB S660 to see how it does.

I've been reading things about how QLC has lackluster data retention while unpowered, but I'm not sure if that's a real issue. I've never experienced this with any flash storage devices I own. Regardless, this use case involves non-critical data.

Currently using robocopy (because Windows Explorer is a useless piece of shit) to copy everything from the 1TB drive to the 4TB (both in USB-C enclosures); it's sustaining around 670MB/s after copying 160GB.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I've decided that I'm not going to use the drive in my main system, but I'm currently testing it for another use case.

I currently have a 1TB SSD in a USB-C enclosure that I use for portable storage and for use with Ventoy for installing OSes. I'm going to try the 4TB S660 to see how it does.

I've been reading things about how QLC has lackluster data retention while unpowered, but I'm not sure if that's a real issue. I've never experienced this with any flash storage devices I own. Regardless, this use case involves non-critical data.

Currently using robocopy (because Windows Explorer is a useless piece of shit) to copy everything from the 1TB drive to the 4TB (both in USB-C enclosures); it's sustaining around 670MB/s after copying 160GB.

JEDEC standards place SSD data retention at 1 year for client SSDs held at 30c and below. For enterprise SSDs it's 3 months at 40c and below.

Unfortunately it's very hard to tell how well an SSD will retain data beyond those specified periods as there is very little in the way of real world testing. At least from my searches I haven't found any good real world tests on SSD data retention in the long term. HDDs typically need to be plugged in a yearly basis to re-magnetize sectors. From the limited information we have it appears that SSDs are at least as good as hard drives in regards to data retention but that's based merely on the JEDEC standard. Then there's also the question of if QLC makes an impact as well. Do you happen to have a link to the reading material you reference? I would greatly appreciate it.

JEDEC standards place SSD data retention at 1 year for client SSDs held at 30c and below. For enterprise SSDs it's 3 months at 40c and below.

Unfortunately it's very hard to tell how well an SSD will retain data beyond those specified periods as there is very little in the way of real world testing. At least from my searches I haven't found any good real world tests on SSD data retention in the long term. HDDs typically need to be plugged in a yearly basis to re-magnetize sectors. From the limited information we have it appears that SSDs are at least as good as hard drives in regards to data retention but that's based merely on the JEDEC standard. Then there's also the question of if QLC makes an impact as well. Do you happen to have a link to the reading material you reference? I would greatly appreciate it.
I didn't really find any high-quality sources, mostly just Reddit posts, but I had stumbled across this.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I didn't really find any high-quality sources, mostly just Reddit posts, but I had stumbled across this.

Thank you very much for the link, that was a very interesting read. So in essence it does appear that QLC does have more retention issues but the paper discusses the use of a soft read to improve that. It's nice to see someone using radar charts, they are great for visualizing things IMO.

No, I'm saying you're mistaking average write speed for direct NAND write speed. There's nothing wrong with Anandtech's methodology, you just don't understand the difference.

Imaging a HDD to an SSD isn't a test, you've bottlenecked yourself by having a HDD in the equation. A HDD is going to be anywhere from 35 MB/s to 235 MB/s read speed on average depending on the performance of the HDD and other factors like file size / quantity and drive fragmentation. Even my high end Exos drives drop down to 35 MB/s when copying a lot of small files (and it's 100% de-fragmented as well). By copying from a HDD it means you are giving your 870 EVO vastly more time for the cache to recover and by extension reducing the likelihood of filling up the cache as compared to an SSD to SSD copy. In my test I used a SK Hynix P41 Platinum specifically to ensure the drive I was copying from was not a bottleneck.

You've also said nothing about the size of said image file either and it may have well been under the cache size to begin with. Hardly a test.
The size of the image file in question was nearly 2 TiB, but I see your point.

I'd like to see you explain away anandtech's testing methodology though.

So, I recently bought a 4TB Fanxiang S660 to use as my game drive in my main system. I chose this drive because I had an excellent experience with the 2TB version.
Incidental storage(few writes, lots of reads) is what QLC is good for. The slow down on writes is not something you will encounter much if you're not rotating your game titles in and out of the drive frequently. If you're not using that drive as an OS/Boot drive and only as a games drive, keep it and enjoy!

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro

I wouldn't worry too much about long term data retention. I have an mx500 (at least 10yo) that I forgot about 5 or 6 years ago. I stumbled across it while looking for a spare drive a few months ago. Plugged it in and it booted right up, no issues at all. Granted, it's only a single drive but maybe that will help put your mind at ease.