• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can we undervolt i7 10750H (Comet Lake)?

Brpo25

I didn't play hex editing but how should I learn that? Haha...... That instructions what I posted are talking more about step what I have to do end where have to be carefully. But still scared...

Ravenik

As for me the most critical point was to find in "Ru Efi" tool the place of exact addresses of "CFG Lock" and "Overclocking Lock" within CpuSetup VarStore displayed as block of values to edit. It was important not to mistake addresses of bytes to edit, as I didn't want to change any other values - not to spoil working configuration of the cpu. Both addresses and values are displayed in hex in Ru Efi. You may try in Grub, maybe it is simpler tham Ru Efi (for me only Ru Efi was working ok).

Attachments

• RU.efi-screenshot.png
    RU.efi-screenshot.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 207

Brpo25

Yeah to hard for me, but what about that instructions what I posted? Would be that easier for beginners?

Ravenik

I would try the instructions that you posted if my CPU temperature reached around 90*C and more. Your instructions also provide a method to dump the BIOS to a file, whereas my method assumes you already have the BOIS file - for example downloaded from the laptop's manufacturer website.

Brpo25

Now i understand, thank you!

CPU temperature is at start 100C then goes down, if I play some games its on +/-85C . If I do cinebench test, is temperature almost whole time on 100C.

VHFG22

Hi, I have just bought a laptop from MSI (GP75 10SEK) with Comet Lake CPU: i7 10750H. I experience the problem that in MSI:"Silent Scenario" (which is not totally silent - fans do rotate) the CPU reaches from time to time 95*C (in gaming/demos) and sometimes (rather too often) reaches even throttling. I could use MSI:"Balanced Scenario" (resulting in CPU & GPU about 75*C) but I am quite allergic to noise. So please tell me if I can undervolt my CPU, so that it would reach a few degrees Centigrade less in silent fan scenario?
Currently I set Offset Voltage=-50.8mV for CPU core - in Throttlestop/FIVR, click apply or ok, but in monitoring panel it is still Offset=0.0.
I attach a screenshot. Windows 10 x64 home.

Is it ever possible to undervolt this CPU?

Currently I have to set CPU max limit 99% in Windows' power plan - to keep the system silent in games, but it seems to be somwehat imperfect method (it seems to completely disable Turbo and limits CPU multiplier to 25x )
There is a way for MSI laptops, but you will have to use undervolt through BIOS and it is going to be a hard time.
You also can find an option to enable/disable CFG Lock in some menu.
First you need to unlock your BIOS settings, normally by pressing all a the same time (Right CTRL, Right Shift, Left Alt, F2) and the menus should appear.

Then go to "Advanced" use the "Overclocking menu" to undervolt CPU Cache, iGPU and SA. Be carefull, use negative mode and use adaptive mode, take care with the values. If it doesn't boot or crashes, try to enter BIOS and reduce the undervolt. Usual procedure.
Only this way will work cause the BIOS locks the voltage values prior to booting to the operating system, because of security, bla bla bla...
I think it is only a soft lock so it could be possible that in the future there is a way to achieve this on windows, like the norm.

Hint: If you want to reset the BIOS to real defaults and clear all the settings you have to:
1 - Turn off your laptop.
2 - Press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds, it will appear the MSI branding 2 times and then it will power off itself and stay off.
3 - Now you need to have AC cable plugged in and press the power button, it will power cycle 2-3 times to test RAM and other things and then it boots.
You need enable SecureBoot and Boot settings like that for windows to boot properly, write them down or memorize so you don't have problems in the future.

Snyguy115

I recently purchased a dell inspiron 15 7501 and was wondering if there was any hope for me to be able to undervolt the cpu.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author

AlessioC

Hi, I want to ask to you if you can help me Undervolting my 17 10750H, 'cause I'm trying it and was able to achieve some result, but in some videos and some discussion I found on the internet I saw people saying that in 17 10750 could be safely undervolted to -100.5 mV Offset Value, either CPU core and cache, but mine can't go over 95.5 (and it almost likely is really instable with this value and will therefore crash), but to be on a safe spot I must set it to a Max Value of 80.1 (this is my max stable value). So the question are a lot and I really need your help (currently writing here 'cause I'm obviously using your throttlestop programm to achieve this and this is an open tread that is really close to my problem):
1- Do I have to change something in the Voltage setting (the one above Offset Voltage) too to see improvment or to be able to reach around -100 mV? I know that each CPUs, even if they are from the same family/line, is different, but is normal to have only -80 mV as max stable value then the more comun -100.5 mV?
2- I don't have disable the turbo because want to use it, in gaming it can make a difference, but instead I have limited it in the FVIR panel in this order (from the 1st core to 6th), 43 41 39 38 38 38. Is good this way?
3- The above two question are connected to the last, my temperature someway doesn't stabilize, isn't reaching the 100°C like it usaly do before I undervolt it, but keep reaching the 88°-90° C under heavy load (TS bench), is this normal? If I disable turbo it keep at some 70°-75° C, but as I said I don't want to do so, because I tried it and, even if it is a good 2,6 GHz as base clock speed, in some modern game it can be sometimes not enough for best performance/quality, and even older game that may use only one core (An Example is Star Wars Empire At War Forces Of Corruption) don't benefit from only 2,6 GHz, and that's why I leave it enabled. So in the end, is this normal? This temperature are normal? I have an MSI GP66 with an RTX 3070 if that can help to find a better solution. I had to download the 9.4.3 Throttlestop version 'cause I have windows 11 installed.

I attach my settings

So this are the settings

Another fast question (the last I promise) does changing some value in the TPL panel bring some benefit too? If yes can you explain me what value to tweak?

Attachments

• ThrottleStop 9.4.3 16_02_2022 20_08_53.png
    ThrottleStop 9.4.3 16_02_2022 20_08_53.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 178
  • ThrottleStop 9.4.3 16_02_2022 20_09_22.png
    ThrottleStop 9.4.3 16_02_2022 20_09_22.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

unclewebb

is normal to have only -80 mV as max stable value
-75 mV is normal for the 10750H. Some can undervolt more but many do not.

Is good this way?
Yes. Reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits is a good way to slow down a CPU so it does not run so hot.

88°-90° C under heavy load (TS bench), is this normal?
Those are normal operating temperatures for an Intel mobile CPU. Your laptop is set to thermal throttle and slow down starting at 95°C so this will keep the temperatures below the Intel recommended value of 100°C. Nothing to worry about.

There is no reason to undervolt the Intel GPU. When playing a game, you will be using the Nvidia GPU.

if you can help me Undervolting my 17 10750H
You do not need help. As long as your computer is stable then your settings are good. Modern gaming laptops run too hot. You are doing a good job of using ThrottleStop to control your hot CPU.

Post a picture of the TPL window and turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15 minutes. Attach a ThrottleStop log file to your next post if you want me to see how your computer is running.

AlessioC

-75 mV is normal for the 10750H. Some can undervolt more but many do not.

Yes. Reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits is a good way to slow down a CPU so it does not run so hot.

Those are normal operating temperatures for an Intel mobile CPU. Your laptop is set to thermal throttle and slow down starting at 95°C so this will keep the temperatures below the Intel recommended value of 100°C. Nothing to worry about.

There is no reason to undervolt the Intel GPU. When playing a game, you will be using the Nvidia GPU.

You do not need help. As long as your computer is stable then your settings are good. Modern gaming laptops run too hot. You are doing a good job of using ThrottleStop to control your hot CPU.

Post a picture of the TPL window and turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15 minutes. Attach a ThrottleStop log file to your next post if you want me to see how your computer is running.
thank you for you fast answer, so this is the maximum I can do on the CPU I suppose... well maybe I will try limiting it to 3.5-3.6 GHz and see if the perfomance can keep it up as with 3.8 GHz and lower a bit more the temps.
Thanks to clarify my doubts, I was wondering that maybe I was stupid and doing something wrong when undervolting.
So now another fast question, undervolting this GPU, (a RTX 3070 130 W, not the low power one) can bring some benefits? And if it does could you possibly explain how to do that effeciently, I tried that too in the past but I wasn't really understanding if my result were or not good so I quit it, could you possibly help me with this?

Thank you again really, I didn't expect that fast answer ahaha :D

Edit: Ok I will go play Breakpoint for 15 minutes and load up the log file, I didn't touch the TPL table value I have directly change boost speed in the FVIR Table, is better lock the max boost speed there?

I turned Trottlestop Log File on, saved settings and runned then game, after 20 minutes I quit the games and exit Throttlestop.... but in the folder where throttlestop is there is no log, what I missed?

unclewebb

Open the Options window and it should show you the location of your log file. It should be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Did you maybe move your ThrottleStop folder to a new location after you first ran ThrottleStop?

You can lock the maximum CPU speed in the FIVR Turbo Ratio Limits section. You can also set the maximum CPU speed by changing the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. I change the Speed Shift Max value because it is easier.

You need better cooling if you want your CPU to run faster. Some users like to replace the thermal paste.

Post a new question in a different TechPowerUp forum to get help with Nvidia GPU undervolting. If you can undervolt the GPU, it should run cooler. Does your GPU run too hot? If you do not have this problem then lowering the GPU voltage will not help.

AlessioC

Open the Options window and it should show you the location of your log file. It should be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Did you maybe move your ThrottleStop folder to a new location after you first ran ThrottleStop?

You can lock the maximum CPU speed in the FIVR Turbo Ratio Limits section. You can also set the maximum CPU speed by changing the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. I change the Speed Shift Max value because it is easier.

You need better cooling if you want your CPU to run faster. Some users like to replace the thermal paste.

Post a new question in a different TechPowerUp forum to get help with Nvidia GPU undervolting. If you can undervolt the GPU, it should run cooler. Does your GPU run too hot? If you do not have this problem then lowering the GPU voltage will not help.
It depends on the games I play, some game are not reaching hot tempurature, others, on the other hand, are. The max temperautere I saw was about 90° C, with a single time reaching 95°C, but that I think it was influenced by the CPU, 'cause firstly it wasn't that hot, but after the CPU got hotter and reach near 100° C (that was the reason I searched on how to lower CPU temperature and find out about the throttlestop :D ), it started to run hotter too, so it really depends on game, but I can say that from some benchmark I made it stay quite around 85°-88° C even when heavy loaded.

I checked where the options say they are being saved but there is nothing there

I tried again 1 hour play but no log generated, as for the question about if I move from it's first location, yes I move it I put inside another folder is that a problem maybe?

Last edited:

unclewebb

is that a problem
Yep, that could be a problem. Not sure where your log files are ending up now. If you open the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file, try deleting this entire line.

Code:
LogFileDirectory=C:\Users\Kevin\source\repos\ThrottleStop\Logs

When you restart ThrottleStop, hopefully it will recreate this info and start placing your log files in the correct location. Check the Options window at the bottom left after you do this.

about 90° C
Modern gaming laptops run at over 90°C. Intel designs their CPUs to handle these kind of peak core temperatures and Intel CPUs automatically slow down to prevent against any damage. You can always reduce your turbo power limits. This will reduce performance but less power equals less heat. I prefer max performance.

AlessioC

Yep, that could be a problem. Not sure where your log files are ending up now. If you open the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file, try deleting this entire line.

Code:
LogFileDirectory=C:\Users\Kevin\source\repos\ThrottleStop\Logs
It doesn't allow me to delete the line in anyway, looks it is locked, but I have enable the log file in the tab in the left.

Anyway I think I found my best spot, the cpu never, and I say NEVER, get hot with setting stable at 3.6 GHz more then enough considering the 6 core of this CPU, and I have leaved the 1st the 2nd and the 3rd cores max boost speed (respectively 42, 40, 38 GHz) up from the others cores, and I have caped the TPL to a max value of 42 (42 GHz), and this have done it, my CPU is never that hot as it was before, it runs games more easely and smoother then before and never get hot. I still feel like I'm holding back a Ferrari from his maximum speed to not damge it too much for overheating (even if they say that is safe I think that is not safe at all to run a computer for a long time with a temperature constantly around 95°-100° C, I do not know what may they thinking about that but I'm not positive about the longlife of a compononents or is integrity if it run constantly at that temperature...), but in the end I am able to push to a speed near is maximum without overheating it, and that's great. I still would like and prefer to use its full power, but, as I said, better this way rather then go crazy searching a fast replecement because my computer melted out.

Last edited: