• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Clevo P650RP6-G GTX 1060 VBIOS

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
NO cant boot into safe mode or windows I cant find the vbios chip either here are better pics of the same model board I am really need some help with this I can buy a spi programmer but wouldnt know which to buy or where the vbios chip is
I didn't say boot into safe mode or Windows. :)
Access the laptop's Bios by mashing the F2 or delete key as you power it on, then enable onboard Graphics and disable the Discrete 1060.
If you still have a black screen entering the Bios then there is something else wrong.
The GPU Vbios chip should be a Winbond chip on the rear around the GPU region.

Sentry2077

I didn't say boot into safe mode or Windows. :)
Access the laptop's Bios by mashing the F2 or delete key as you power it on, then enable onboard Graphics and disable the Discrete 1060.
If you still have a black screen entering the Bios then there is something else wrong.
The GPU Vbios chip should be a Winbond chip on the rear around the GPU region.
Thats my issue it doesnt have integrated graphics from factory even thought the i8750h has one the GTX 1060 Max q on my laptop is a dedicated gpu only hp omen 15 ce198wm they only had onboard graphics on the 1050 and 1050ti models for that year I posted rear mobo pics can you see the vbios chip in those and point it out?

20201002_074930.jpg
20201002_074930.jpg This Chip was under the wIfi car right next to the gGPU ...if not im gonna tear the whole thing down later today and then see if its the but looking at the other photos i dont see it on the back of hand but i will tear it down later and maybe i didnt wanna have to buy a whole replacent mobo theyre from 450 to 700 its rally high and most of them are chinese knock offs i dot know which brand is good on ali express or ebay they supposedly come with the cpu and gpu I dont know Im hoping to avoid taking that big a hit i this pandemic.

Attachments

• 20201002_074915.jpg
    20201002_074915.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20201002_074921.jpg
    20201002_074921.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20201002_075113.jpg
    20201002_075113.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 148
System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Not going to lie, those pictures are useless as we can't see them clearly enough to read them.

Sentry2077

Not going to lie, those pictures are useless as we can't see them clearly enough to read them.
SOrry bud I was blasted already so tired hadnt slept Ill try again im using a galaxy s7 to shoot with

Does anyone here program chip vbios for members that would be awesome..

Sentry2077

I got it to work by flashing a similar Hp Omen 15 ce0000 gtx 1060 max Q vbios the chip is located in between the cpu and gpu on the bottom side of the motherboard which required a complete teardown and a 1.8v adapter to flash the sop 8 MX chip. Ax nyway word of advise to anyone who has a dedicated gpu in their laptop and is thinking of flashing the vbios ...if you rely on that laptop as your main daily driver work or gaming or whatever if its a dedicated ..probably not the best idea ..at the very least look into and external gpu via thunderbolt or mini pcie adapter before and get that working before you do. PS back up your orig vbios and bios before attempting any flashing at all.

TheWolfLoki

Hi @Sentry2077 I have the exact same model laptop as you and had a bad vbios flash, I am purchasing the same chip programmer as you linked, it seems like the right one, but I am lost with what to do, I saw you had a thread on another forum (not sure if I can link to it here) but I have read through everything, though not sure where to find the vbios MX chip. Do I need to remove entire motherboard from my laptop shell? Or just the heatsink to find it? I've never used a chip programmer before and am a little wary, but your posts give me hope that it's possible to recover!!! I feel so lucky to see someone with literally the exact laptop and problem I have, I scoured the internet trying to find info and only have you to bring me hope!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hi @Sentry2077 I have the exact same model laptop as you and had a bad vbios flash, I am purchasing the same chip programmer as you linked, it seems like the right one, but I am lost with what to do, I saw you had a thread on another forum (not sure if I can link to it here) but I have read through everything, though not sure where to find the vbios MX chip. Do I need to remove entire motherboard from my laptop shell? Or just the heatsink to find it? I've never used a chip programmer before and am a little wary, but your posts give me hope that it's possible to recover!!! I feel so lucky to see someone with literally the exact laptop and problem I have, I scoured the internet trying to find info and only have you to bring me hope!
Plenty of youtube videos on this

Sentry2077

Your gonna have to remove the entire motherboard flip it over and look at the back of the where your CPU is thats the little 8 legged vbios chip you flash its smaller than the fat Bios chip thats located by the backside of the fan and gpu dont flash that one..if your latptop boots fine.. just flash the vbios chip behind the CPU again flip over your mobo then line up the programner strip with the little notch barely visible clip on the connection once you connect correctly you should be able to read that vbios chip ID via asprogrammer software (its free google it) but the notch is there ontop of the vbios chip ..then make sure you have a good vbios image erase the vbios chip and flash the good vbios onto the chip then try and read the chip and see if it took the good vbios flash ..Theres a good tutorial by an awesome dude named MrFoxRox its the same procedure for mgpu and reg desktop gpu hes pro level follow that closely let me know how it goes

TheWolfLoki

Thank you so much for the fast reply! I will look for that chip after taking the entire motherboard out, I bought the KeyYees programmer you had asked about, is that the one you ended up using? Some reviews claimed it could damage chips but I trust you if you had success on the same one I need to program!

I have the manual for the MX chip and can determine which pin is #1 from it, I will look for MrFoxRox's tutorial, but cannot try until I get the programmer delivered.

I don't have my own bios file I backed up as it's on the laptop that had the bad flash, but I see in the vbios database there is one listed as the same model; https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213911/213911

One last question, I was originally flashing the vBios to fix a problem where the 1060 GPU gets stuck in P5 state with 810Mhz Memory clock whenever unplugged, do you have this same kind of behavior? I swear it used to not do that until some time ago and now I am further down the rabbit hole of fixing things because of flashing a bad bios lol

Sentry2077

Thank you so much for the fast reply! I will look for that chip after taking the entire motherboard out, I bought the KeyYees programmer you had asked about, is that the one you ended up using? Some reviews claimed it could damage chips but I trust you if you had success on the same one I need to program!

I have the manual for the MX chip and can determine which pin is #1 from it, I will look for MrFoxRox's tutorial, but cannot try until I get the programmer delivered.

I don't have my own bios file I backed up as it's on the laptop that had the bad flash, but I see in the vbios database there is one listed as the same model; https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213911/213911

One last question, I was originally flashing the vBios to fix a problem where the 1060 GPU gets stuck in P5 state with 810Mhz Memory clock whenever unplugged, do you have this same kind of behavior? I swear it used to not do that until some time ago and now I am further down the rabbit hole of fixing things because of flashing a bad bios lol
Not being plugged into some weird things too what type of laptop we have I've seen 800 megahertz in MSI plugged when the laptop is idle not sure exactly why that is just run a benchmark with any game you usually play and check your numbers using hwinfo to see if your clock speeds go back to normal so now I'm curious you're saying you want to flash your vbios but you sound as if your display works..if it still works and you can load windows or cmd then use nvflash and flash your old vbios back on dont take it apart thats unecessary if your gpu is at least showing windows use nvflash again before all else. Remember this is all at your own risk and it is very risky, Before a teardown if you dont have a video display did you try pluggin in an external monitor to see if it boots? You have to also try many things like hit the f10 key can you get into see the bios? All those are things to check before you go full teardown and flash a chip bud ..Again the only reason I did a teardown and vbios flash was I had no display but I can hear my laptop fans come on and power button stay lit. I had to remove the mobo and flip it over its a lengthy and arduous process and then use my usb programmer with asprogrammer software cable with pin connector you have to be very careful not to break any pins or wires actor you should record any process you do with a tear down so you can go back and do it in reverse good luck buddy

TheWolfLoki

Yes I get 810mhz memory clock no matter what load is put on the gpu unfortunately, though core clock is at a reasonable ~1100Mhz, that's why I was trying to flash using NVFlash, but it was the wrong bios because now I have no display, I tried every combination of HDMI, DisplayPort, opening/closing laptop lid, power cycling in every manner, I cant get a display any way, though fans do spin and keyboard lights are on, but definitely no display whatsoever. Not even BIOS access or display backlight.
I tried all HP things like creating a bootable usb that automatically overrides HP system bios but still no display because the vbios is untouchable unless in windows or through the clip on programmer afaik.

I am confident with disassembly, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going farther than I had to if vbios chip was located on the easy to reach side.
You said you had a bit of trouble with the vbios being write protected when you were trying to us asprogrammer, I think I found a guide to get around that as you did, but I'm just nervous doing something wrong when it's my last hope
Really though I can't describe how much of a godsend the posts of yours I found were, gives me hope not all is lost as of yet :D

TheWolfLoki

I've been searching for MrFoxRox's guide you suggested but haven't been able to find it, any chance you remember where it was? My programmer should be here today so I'm hoping I have a living laptop by the end of the day!!!

Sentry2077

I've been searching for MrFoxRox's guide you suggested but haven't been able to find it, any chance you remember where it was? My programmer should be here today so I'm hoping I have a living laptop by the end of the day!!!
Look for him on youtube and notebookreview forums those guys are as just like the guys on techpowerup here very helpful I cannot link anything here dont wanna violate any forum rules so google is your friend in the meantime like someone said earlier there are also many vidoe tutorials on how to use a flash programmer on vbios good luck at least you now are ahead of the game you know where the vbios chip is Good luck bud

TheWolfLoki

Im currently following Jensd's Guide on flashing but I have an issue, it *seems* like it reads and programs okay, but when I re-read after programming it is still just as it was before, I tried to use the unprotect but it didnt have any effect it seems, do you remember how you got around the protection of writing to the chip?

Sentry2077

Im currently following Jensd's Guide on flashing but I have an issue, it *seems* like it reads and programs okay, but when I re-read after programming it is still just as it was before, I tried to use the unprotect but it didnt have any effect it seems, do you remember how you got around the protection of writing to the chip?
Well I had to erase the vbios then flash the good one..dont flash a higher spec vbios the ch the mobo cannot take the higher voltages it will give you artifacts and overheat just erase and stock vbios and Bobs your Uncle! Let me know how it goes God Bless in Jesus Christ

TheWolfLoki

It WORKS!!! I had the same moment where the sizes of the verification files didn't match up and their hash values were different. But I used a text compare tool to check the text and noticed that because the chip is 512kb and the bios is only written to the first 231kb, the rest in the verification file is just zeroes essentially. But the entirety of the actual bios data was the same.

Thank you so much for responding here after nearly a year since you had to go through this. It really instilled the confidence in me that I could do it and here we are, one working laptop later :)

Everything went flawlessly during disassembly and reassembly too, happy to have the machine back again and will now accept it for all it's quirks as I should have before :D

Sentry2077

It WORKS!!! I had the same moment where the sizes of the verification files didn't match up and their hash values were different. But I used a text compare tool to check the text and noticed that because the chip is 512kb and the bios is only written to the first 231kb, the rest in the verification file is just zeroes essentially. But the entirety of the actual bios data was the same.

Thank you so much for responding here after nearly a year since you had to go through this. It really instilled the confidence in me that I could do it and here we are, one working laptop later :)

Everything went flawlessly during disassembly and reassembly too, happy to have the machine back again and will now accept it for all it's quirks as I should have before :D
God is good Thats great to hear bud so glad I had the exact same issue i had to double check the file size the corrupted one was also 512kbish for me and the good was 231ish and it worked the display came back on now do a backup of the good vbios and like I said in my orig post if the laptop is your daily driver for all things games web work movies photos never flash it again its not worth it ! You get good results with a CPU i8750h -125 mhz cache and core undervolt and keep your gpu settings reasonable medium to high at 1080p youll get awesome results heck I go 720p and medium to high and the GTX 1060 flies ..if you want more speed use your thunderbolt 3 port and buy a desktop gpu 3060 I hope maybe I can someday peace bro God Bless in Jesus Christ and pay it forward for any laptop brother out there you can help ✌

TheWolfLoki

Oh yeah I've already backed up and I even set my boot device to USB first in bios in case I have anything happen through a windows update or something.
Nice I settled on -125mv just like you! I tried to go to -145mv but it wasnt perfectly stable like 125.
On my 1060 I undervolted it too to 1525Mhz@750mv, it stays a lot cooler and the fans spin a lot slower, plus it performs even better! You could try that too as there's no risk using MSI afterburner, you can set it on startup after doing stability testing, and even if something goes wrong, plain and simple safe mode will stop it from ever loading.

Hope I get to save someone else's "bricked" PC too :))

Sentry2077

Oh yeah I've already backed up and I even set my boot device to USB first in bios in case I have anything happen through a windows update or something.
Nice I settled on -125mv just like you! I tried to go to -145mv but it wasnt perfectly stable like 125.
On my 1060 I undervolted it too to 1525Mhz@750mv, it stays a lot cooler and the fans spin a lot slower, plus it performs even better! You could try that too as there's no risk using MSI afterburner, you can set it on startup after doing stability testing, and even if something goes wrong, plain and simple safe mode will stop it from ever loading.

Hope I get to save someone else's "bricked" PC too

Hope I get to save someone else's "bricked" PC too :))
Im gonna give that 1525@750mv

Post your Msi Curve pic 1525@750mv wanna see ill give it a shot.

TheWolfLoki

Oh sure! I realize I actually have it set to 1527@700mv, I thought 750mv was the min but good thing I looked!
1527 is the absolute highest I can push it while stable, and +400 on memory. But that's just my specific chip, maybe you can get a little higher or lower on either.
Though 50w power limit on our 1060 makes it so that even setting 1527@700mv bumps against power limits sometimes, 1480@700mv stops this and has better framerate consistency in games which is what I had it set to before the whole vbios debacle :D 1480MHz is my preference but it depends on how power hungry the games you play are

With this setting it allows the GPU to hit essentially it's highest clock but at a much lower voltage, and fortunately all the points below 700mv which are un-editable still work as intended, allowing the gpu to rest at lower clocks and voltages during non-intensive load as long as your power profile in Nvidia Control Panel is set to adaptive or optimal :)
Unfortunately MSI can't read voltage but GPU-Z and HWinfo64 can and report it is working, lower temps and fan speeds also confirm!

If you use the lock command (L while a point is selected in curve) it stops the gpu downclocking during idle, this is BAD behavior because it kills battery life and also makes fans spin up more to deal with heat. A lot of undervolt guide suggest this but I think it's because they are targeting desktop GPUS. Just don't do it unless you are literally on ac adapter 100% of the time.

Screenshot 2021-08-21 164633.png

System Name myPC
Processor i5-11600k @ stock
Motherboard Asus TUF Z590 Gaming Plus
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 ti
Storage Boot: WD Black SN770 1TB - Game Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB - Other Storage: 4TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 curved 27" 1440p 144hz
Case Thermaltake v100 perforated
Audio Device(s) Some headphones and some speakers
Power Supply Gigabyte UD750GM
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
This is cool. Glad you guys got your laptops working, I probably would have just sold them for parts.