• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Heatsink fans

I am thinking of getting one of these CPU Fan + Heatsink Cooler - Intel socket LGA 1150 / H3 with no brand name. They are taken from office PCs.If they are office PC,s they would have been taken from the likes of Dell Hp and other known OEM companies. My question is as they are OEM PCs heatsink fans,are they compatible with non-OEMs,s like MSI Gigabyte, etc? But if they are as the seller says 1150 sockets I am right in thinking they should fit on any 1150 board.? Earlier I saw some Coolermaster from the same seller from office PCs.The Coolermaster ones are 3 pounds more than the non-branded ones they are selling. Should I take a chance to buy the non-branded one?
Of course, I will have to buy a backplate late for the heatsink fan

1676582425367.png
1676582306152.png

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am thinking of getting one of these CPU Fan + Heatsink Cooler
Why? I mean if you need a new HSF on the cheap, then fine. And while the heatsink itself does not age or wear out, the fan bearings sure do. I would rather have something new. There are many affordable aftermarket coolers out there.

Of course? Ummm, no. Probably not. Those are relatively small, low-profile coolers and likely do not need a backplate.

As for fitting MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte - etc. if both the cooler and the motherboard support the same CPU, it should be no problem.

Why? I mean if you need a new HSF on the cheap, then fine. And while the heatsink itself does not age or wear out, the fan bearings sure do. I would rather have something new. There are many affordable aftermarket coolers out there.

Of course? Ummm, no. Probably not. Those are relatively small, low-profile coolers and likely do not need a backplate.

As for fitting MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte - etc. if both the cooler and the motherboard support the same CPU, it should be no problem.
Thanks for your answer, Bill. :)It depends on what you mean by affordable, up to £15 for me. Any recommendations I do,t want one with pish pins

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
I have an HP cooler similar to those pictured. They don't use a backplate, they screw directly into the mobo tray of the case. If you want screw-down you will need to find a heatsink/fan that comes with a backplate. The HP threads are different from all the backplates I have in my parts collection.

Ummm, no. Probably not. Those are relatively small, low-profile coolers and likely do not need a backplate.
If you look at the pictures, all of those heatsinks are threaded at the end. There's no push-pin to hold the heatsink to the mobo without a backplate or screwing directly into the case's mobo tray.

I have an HP cooler similar to those pictured. They don't use a backplate, they screw directly into the mobo tray of the case. If you want screw-down you will need to find a heatsink/fan that comes with a backplate. The HP threads are different from all the backplates I have in my parts collection.

If you look at the pictures, all of those heatsinks are threaded at the end. There's no push-pin to hold the heatsink to the mobo without a backplate or screwing directly into the case's mobo tray.
That's what I thought. o_OThat is why I like them. :)It looks like a 3 pin .

1676592652087.png
What do you think of this one its a no name one so taking a chance on it
1676592776423.png

Material:
aluminum + plastic

Size:
95x95x60mm
Type: CPU cooling fan

Speed: 2200RPM

Bearing type: hydraulic bearing

Support range: Intel 1155/1156 /1150

The fan uses PC material and the leaves are broken. It is in my price range £11 how good it is i don.t know.What do you think

68Olds[ It looks on the thin size for my e3 1246 v3 85w​

Ot this one

ID Cooling DK-03i PWM Blue LED can you look up and give me links to others in my prive range this one is only £8.​

Sunflower Heatsink Fins
Heat dissipation area is enlarged with sunflower shape design, to provide excellent cooling performance.
Lighting Diffusing Fan Bladeshttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e3sAAOSwEONi~QJD/s-l1600.jpg
Lighting diffusing fan blades help spread the lighting evenly for aesthetical pleasure.
Precisely Even Base
After installation, the even base contacts the CPU perfectly to conduct heat away to the heatsink.
Easy and Secure Installation
With metal screws and backplate, installation can be done easily and quickly.
CompatibilityIntel LGA1200/1150/1151/1155/1156
TDP100W
Overall Dimension130×130×68mm (L×W×H)
MaterialAluminium Fin
Weight370g
Fan DimensionФ120×25mm
Fan Speed500-1800RPM
Max. Air Flow61.5CFM
Max. Static Pressure1.85mmH2O
Noise16-20.2dB(A)
Rated Voltage12VDC
Operating Voltage10.8~13.2VDC
Started Voltage7VDC
Rated Current0.15A
Power Input1.8W
Connector

1Pcs Quiet Cooling Fan CPU Cooler Fans Heatsink for Intel 1155/1156 /1150​

Attachments

• 1676592694555.png
    1676592694555.png
    755.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 1676594130750.png
    1676594130750.png
    358.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
Personally, I would go with the ID Cooling DK-03i PWM heatsink fan. It is rated for 100w and should be plenty for your Xeon. That orange bladed low profile looks like it might only be for 35w or 65w CPUs.

Finding one with a 4 pin fan would be nice (the mobo has a 4 pin CPU header, right?), but a 3 pin fan will be fine too.

Personally, I would go with the ID Cooling DK-03i PWM heatsink fan. It is rated for 100w and should be plenty for your Xeon. That orange bladed low profile looks like it might only be for 35w or 65w CPUs.

Finding one with a 4 pin fan would be nice (the mobo has a 4 pin CPU header, right?), but a 3 pin fan will be fine too.
Series:
ID Cooling
Voltage:
12 V
Fan Diameter:
120 mm
Socket Compatibility:
Intel LGA1200/1150/1151/1155/1156
Material:
Plastic
To Fit:
GPU Processor
Colour:
Black
Maximum Airflow Volume:
61.5 CFM
Model:
DK-03i PWM
Product Line:
ID Cooling
Maximum Fan Speed:
1800 RPM
Power Connection:
4-Pin
Packaging:
Blister Pack
Compatible Brand:
Universal
Form Factor:
PC Card
Phone Lines:
Processor cooler
Bearing Type:
Ball
Brand:
ID Cooling
Fan Light Colour:
Multicoloured, Blue
Type:
Processor cooler
The seller got back to me
*This comes with a mounting kit for these sockets, LGA1156 Socket, LGA1155 Socket,LGA1150 Socket, LGA1151 Socket, LGA1200 Socket.I have ordered it. It is a 4-pin.Thanks again for your valuable advice. :)

68Olds

electrowind

I am thinking of getting one of these CPU Fan + Heatsink Cooler - Intel socket LGA 1150 / H3 with no brand name. They are taken from office PCs.If they are office PC,s they would have been taken from the likes of Dell Hp and other known OEM companies. My question is as they are OEM PCs heatsink fans,are they compatible with non-OEMs,s like MSI Gigabyte, etc? But if they are as the seller says 1150 sockets I am right in thinking they should fit on any 1150 board.? Earlier I saw some Coolermaster from the same seller from office PCs.The Coolermaster ones are 3 pounds more than the non-branded ones they are selling. Should I take a chance to buy the non-branded one?

View attachment 284163View attachment 284162
Hi!

It's possible that the OEM CPU cooler you're looking to purchase will be compatible with non-OEM motherboards, as long as they both use the LGA 1150 socket. However, there's no guarantee that they will fit perfectly or have the necessary clearance, and it's also possible that the mounting mechanism may be different, requiring a different backplate or bracket.

Additionally, since these are used coolers from office PCs, it's possible that they may not be in the best condition or may have accumulated dust and debris that could affect their performance. It's also possible that the non-branded cooler may not be as efficient or reliable as a branded one like the Cooler Master.

If you're on a tight budget, then the non-branded cooler may be worth considering, but it's important to keep in mind that you may be sacrificing performance, reliability, and compatibility for cost savings. If you're looking for a reliable and efficient CPU cooler, it may be worth investing in a branded cooler that is specifically designed for your motherboard and CPU.

Hi!

It's possible that the OEM CPU cooler you're looking to purchase will be compatible with non-OEM motherboards, as long as they both use the LGA 1150 socket. However, there's no guarantee that they will fit perfectly or have the necessary clearance, and it's also possible that the mounting mechanism may be different, requiring a different backplate or bracket.

Additionally, since these are used coolers from office PCs, it's possible that they may not be in the best condition or may have accumulated dust and debris that could affect their performance. It's also possible that the non-branded cooler may not be as efficient or reliable as a branded one like the Cooler Master.

If you're on a tight budget, then the non-branded cooler may be worth considering, but it's important to keep in mind that you may be sacrificing performance, reliability, and compatibility for cost savings. If you're looking for a reliable and efficient CPU cooler, it may be worth investing in a branded cooler that is specifically designed for your motherboard and CPU.

First up welcome to Techpowerup forums.:) They are 1150 and like you say that was what I was worried about with the problems I might encounter if I had gone for one. And I have taken Bill.s point about the bearings wearing out. Plus would have had to buy a backplate for it. The seller did say had cleaned the dust-out. You are right there a nonbrand one cant be as good as a make like Coolermasterif I had got the Coolermaster one that would have cost £12 without the cost of the backplate which cost about three or four pounds. After 680lds recommendation, I am going for the ID-Cooling DK-03i PWM heatsink fan. It comes with everything needed.I would have rather gone for something with reviews but the price is right at £8. I have given you your first like here. :)Another good video from our old mate Clint
It looks cool. :)

Last edited:
Series:
ID Cooling
Voltage:
12 V
Fan Diameter:
120 mm
Socket Compatibility:
Intel LGA1200/1150/1151/1155/1156
Material:
Plastic
To Fit:
GPU Processor
Colour:
Black
Maximum Airflow Volume:
61.5 CFM
Model:
DK-03i PWM
Product Line:
ID Cooling
Maximum Fan Speed:
1800 RPM
Power Connection:
4-Pin
Packaging:
Blister Pack
Compatible Brand:
Universal
Form Factor:
PC Card
Phone Lines:
Processor cooler
Bearing Type:
Ball
Brand:
ID Cooling
Fan Light Colour:
Multicoloured, Blue
Type:
Processor cooler
The seller got back to me
*This comes with a mounting kit for these sockets, LGA1156 Socket, LGA1155 Socket,LGA1150 Socket, LGA1151 Socket, LGA1200 Socket.I have ordered it. It is a 4-pin.Thanks again for your valuable advice. :)

68Olds

I have managed to get the heatsenk fan off the NEO board .I have put it on the other MSI board orange light and blue lights going on and off.CPU HEATSINK FAN making a grinding noise,i can,t see anything that is casing that.I have swoped the ram ro no efect.What can be casing the griding noise.I have not changed the CPU.The NEO i did change the the CPU it is now not spining.I will have to waite tell i get the speaker for testing.Is this the problem
mine is a nasty griding noise .Could it be that the plastic pins are not in right they are connected
I tightend the plastic pins ,it is not griding but it is going on and off likr the blue lights.

Last edited:
System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage 500GB SN550 WD Blue NVMe M.2
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply Apevia 600W Gold 80 Plus
Software Windows 11 Home
I have been known to put a Noctua fan on a CPU heatsink; expensive but they are quiet and last a long time.

I'd avoid a 3pin fan where a 4pin connector is involved.

System Name Asus X450JB
Processor Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Motherboard Asus
Memory 2x 4GiB
Video Card(s) nVidia GT940M
Storage 2x 1TB
If the grinding noise persist even when you remove the fan from its mounting then likely its bearing is toast.

I have been known to put a Noctua fan on a CPU heatsink; expensive but they are quiet and last a long time.

I'd avoid a 3pin fan where a 4pin connector is involved.
They are very exspencive.

If the grinding noise persist even when you remove the fan from its mounting then likely its bearing is toast.
The grindng noise has stoped i ajusted the plastic pins.It is now going off and on ,the gpu and CPU heatsink fans, and blue lights going on and off.Any idea why the blue-lights are going on and off.?
What i don,t understand is i got the same stop start with the cpu fan and people were saying it must be shorting and need plastic washers.But the fan that is on there now has the normal plastic pins heatsink.so should not be shorting.

Last edited: