• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Announces Super X-Fi Gen 4 Audio Profile

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
Building on the foundation of its award-winning Super X-Fi Headphone Holography, Creative Technology will be unveiling the all-new Super X-Fi Gen 4 audio profile. This latest release boasts significant enhancements in dynamic range, clarity, and spatial awareness. The Super X-Fi Gen 4 isn't just raising the bar; it's redefining the standard for immersive audio experiences. With this latest update, users can enjoy an expanded dynamic range, delivering richer, more detailed audio reproduction. Coupled with improved clarity, users can indulge in crystal-clear sound that captures every subtle nuance, while the refined sense of space offers a more expansive and lifelike soundstage.

Super X-Fi technology elevates the audio experience for users by recreating the immersive soundstage of high-end surround speaker systems within headphones, further personalized by the power of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for a remarkably natural listening experience. Since its debut at CES 2019, users and critics have been impressed by the realism of personalized audio, which is tailored according to their anthropometric profiles. From immersing in the heart-pounding action of a blockbuster movie to feeling the raw energy of a live concert or delving into the captivating world of gaming, Super X-Fi can bring it all to life with breath-taking detail and precision.

Super X-Fi For Speakers
Originally engineered for headphones, Super X-Fi has elevated personal audio to new heights with its personalized spatial holographic experience. Now, this innovative technology is poised to transform the home entertainment landscape by bringing the same revolutionary experience to speaker systems. The debut of Super X-Fi for speakers brings a new dimension to home entertainment, effortlessly turning any living space into a vibrant concert hall or theatre. With every note, beat, and sound resonating with captivating realism and depth, users can expect an immersive listening journey, mirroring the satisfaction long enjoyed by Super X-Fi headphone users.

Super X-Fi Gen 4 will be rolled out worldwide in June, with users simply needing to configure and download their new profiles through the SXFI APP.

Expanding Super X-Fi Ecosystem
Soon, Creative Technology will unveil the integration of Super X-Fi technology across its upcoming product line-up, spanning from True Wireless Stereo (TWS) earbuds to premium headphones and speakers. This expansion will enable users to seamlessly tap into the world of Super X-Fi across their preferred streaming platforms like Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify, even on compact earbuds and speakers—a pioneering feat for Super X-Fi technology.

"Our user community has played a pivotal role in shaping the evolution of Super X-Fi, providing valuable insights and data that have refined our AI engine. With Super X-Fi Gen 4, we're advancing further, delivering an even more immersive listening experience that breaks free from the limitations of flat and lacklustre audio. Moreover, we are also thrilled to announce the upcoming integration of Super X-Fi technology across our product line-up, offering users seamless access to spatial audio no matter where they are," said Lee Teck Chee, Chief Technology Officer at Creative and inventor of Super X-Fi.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I remember when x-fi use to mean hw accelerated audio once upon a time.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
This is a press release that says basically nothing. Come on, Creative.

That’s one of the things Microsoft can definitively be blamed for. Re-writing the entire Windows audio stack in Vista so that HW acceleration of audio is basically not viable sure was a move.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Yeah its amazing how long theyve held onto the X-Fi branding when its diverged so far from its original concept and meaning.

With that said. It being a Creative product used to mean something too. Now it means nothing and the brand is more or less a walking corpse.

Creative needs to find his spot on the market, because, "Audio" is getting a bit a niche market.

Considering that Creative was all about gaming experience, mainly audio, don't they want to expand their portfolio like Elgato, HyperX portfolio...

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Creative needs to find his spot on the market, because, "Audio" is getting a bit a niche market.

Considering that Creative was all about gaming experience, mainly audio, don't they want to expand their portfolio like Elgato, HyperX portfolio...

Creative shot themselves in the foot decades back when it stamped out competing audio technologies. They tried to pull an Nvidia Gameworks but it completely backfired as creative's features sucked and anything good that did pop up they made sure to kill.

Games to this day still lack decent spatial audio, it's amazing how great a game with HTRFs and spatial audio cues can sound and yet we don't do it.

The days of dedicated sound cards are long gone, you don't need that much space anymore for a state of the art DAC / AMP implementation as evidenced by high end portable DAC AMPs. Perhaps it would have made more sense to have an audio card if creative was providing spatial audio plugins to game engines and a co-processor was enabling ray traced audio (which is actually simulating the propagation of audio waves) but given the increase in CPU core count I don't see any reason why that can't be done on the CPU nowadays.

Creative was always more marketing than substance and that ultimately kept them from effectively doing anything. That they still haven't changed their marketing terms signals to me that they haven't learned even the most basic of lessons over their decades in business.

Last edited:
System Name RayneOSX
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x 185w
Motherboard Asus Strix x570-E
Cooling EKWB AIO 360 RGB (9 ekwb vardar RGB fans)
Memory Gskill Trident Z neo CL18 3600mhz 64GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10G LHR
Storage Wayy too many to list here
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 1440p 144hz 27 x2 / Samsung Odyssey CRG5 1080p 144hz 24
Case LianLi 011D white w/ Vertical GPU
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Ducky One 2 mini Cherry MX silent
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Win10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Timespy 17 127 https://www.3dmark.com/spy/40770744 (old)
I was about to say this..

Well I guess I keep my upgrade path from the blaster Z to the Ae7., I just hope alchemy works there too for old games with EAX

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2

Hakker

My last soundcard was and will always be a Gravis Ultrasound. After that it was always onboard audio.

ir_cow

Staff member
That’s one of the things Microsoft can definitively be blamed for. Re-writing the entire Windows audio stack in Vista so that HW acceleration of audio is basically not viable sure was a move.
Is this why my creative audigy 2 became worthless after XP? Never saw driver support and it became $200 e-waste. Never bought from them Creative again because of this. Always figured it was the devs being money hungry.

System Name Shadow Warrior
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB White
Memory 64GB 6000Mhz cl30
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT
Storage 12TB NVME + 16TB SSD + 2x12TB 5400rpm
Display(s) HP X34 Ultrawide 165hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7 (modded)
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX AE-5+ / Topping DX5 Lite (Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 closed)
Power Supply Corsair hx1000i
Mouse Roccat Kain 120 aimo / Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Cherry Stream 3.0 SX-switches
VR HMD Quest 1, Pico 4 128GB
Software Win11 x64
Is this why my creative audigy 2 became worthless after XP? Never saw driver support and it became $200 e-waste. Never bought from them Creative again because of this. Always figured it was the devs being money hungry.
Yes. Microsoft killed hardware accelerated audio.
Creative did some things to keep things compatible anyway, they released alchemy which was a software solution to keep EAX active in games that supported it. It worked, and was why I kept using Creative soundcards for years to come. Nothing quite like Thief 2 with Creative's own EAX.

I now use a AE5+ and it's basically better than human hearing, and they still have support for older software.

Creative made the mistake not to work on making proper EAX accessible for other manufacturers. If you bought Asus, M-audio or whatever you basically got a worse simulated version of EAX. I tried them out of curiosity, and it was always worse sounding

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Aww, they even found a way to out and out lie about using AI! I love creative(ly bankrupt)! But I also do love that Creative Labs was the nGreedia of the PC audio market back in the day, and now look what they are. It couldn't happen to a more deserving company. When the AI bubble bursts, nGreedia will be fighting not to end up just like them!

This is a press release that says basically nothing. Come on, Creative.

You should find out exactly why Microsoft did that before lamenting Creative Labs.

Last edited:
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
You should find out exactly why Microsoft did that before lamenting Creative Labs.
Not defending Creative here, not sure why you’d think that. I was there while the whole thing was happening. Their drivers WERE trash, nobody argues that, but MS took a nuclear option in this regard and, more importantly, didn’t even try to create some sort of compromise solution that would allow for HW acceleration of audio while still running the driver in user mode.
But yeah, Creative is to blame too with their awful drivers and stifling competition. I remember back then thinking that maybe MS was angling to create their own solution and implement it in DirectSound, but that obviously didn’t happen.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Pretty sure you can still use those, I used creative sound cards until a few years ago.

System Name My PC
Processor 6700K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard GigaByte GA-Z170XP-SLI
Cooling Pure Rock 2 + 4 Fans
Memory 2 x 16GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming X Trio
Storage PNY CS3030 NVMe 1TB, MX500 2TB x 2, 3TB WD Blue
Display(s) 27" curved 165Hz VA 1080p (Gigabyte)
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2ZS with Inspire T7900 7.1 speakers, still!
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Deathadder 2
Keyboard Xtrfy K4
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 14k1 (ish) Timespy (20k2 gfx 5k2 cpu)
Pretty sure you can still use those, I used creative sound cards until a few years ago.
Still rocking my Audigy 2ZS in my main w10 Gaming rig - only problem is its PCI so need a compatible mobo

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Aww, they even found a way to out and out lie about using AI! I love creative(ly bankrupt)! But I also do love that Creative Labs was the nGreedia of the PC audio market back in the day, and now look what they are. It couldn't happen to a more deserving company. When the AI bubble bursts, nGreedia will be fighting not to end up just like them!

They were way worse than "nGreedia", imo. At least Nvidia doesn't sue people who try to improve their products, they have enough vision to usually hire them instead.

This pathological hatred of Nvidia weirds me out...

ir_cow

Staff member
Nah, not that one. Drivers only went up to Windows XP. Creative did sell other audio cards afterwards with "vista" support. Basically a big Fu.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Nah, not that one. Drivers only went up to Windows XP. Creative did sell other audio cards afterwards with "vista" support. Basically a big Fu.

Daniel ensured that those cards were well-supported to this day, you can use an Audigy2 ZS on Windows 10/11 with those drivers provided your PC still has a legacy PCI slot or you can adapt it to PCIe somehow. The incident(s) I've mentioned in the thread is that Creative took his initiative very, very poorly. Basically they threw their corporate weight on top of the guy and sent him lots of legal threats and cease and desist letters, with their VP famously saying "If we decided to cripple Vista drivers that's on us - only we have the right to do so"

The answer is the sad one you've probably learned to expect: O'Shaughnessy admits that Creative Labs intentionally crippled its Vista drivers as a business strategy.

Back then Creative were really scum. But they were just about to slip as kings of the hill, courtesy of Microsoft.

ir_cow

Staff member
I remembers those vista drivers... It kinda worked, but the front panel did not anymore. Later the guy was employed by Creative and the drivers were deleted. By that point I moved on I guess and forgot all about it until todya.

It is pure nostalgia, nothing else.

Creative audio sucked back then like those fake sw surrounds do currently.

It added nothing but fake echo and reverb, boosted certain frequencies and isolated them to one channel, so if someone was next to you on your right, the sound was often completely isolated to the right channel, so as a kiddo, you were like, woah, muh positional audio. The thing is, the farther you were from the sound source, it completely lost sound precision and sound stage and you couldn't tell how far away the sound source was, because it became completely blunt over time.

And due to strict sound source isolation, the location was often imprecise and pointing to the opposite direction of the sound depending on your angle or when standing still and turning around.

Their latest lineup is a joke, there is a huge issue with the channels swapping in games or when scrolling large PDFs, L to R or L/R to centre and you are completely missing the positional audio on AMD and Intel platforms using pcie4.0+ mobos and PCIe 4.0 gpus.

Heck, it even happens on pcie 3.0 and older platforms such as LGA775 and the previous gens on their products but it is scarce. After all those years, no fix, except running the card in the direct mode, but then it disables all the sw features and it is just like a cheap 10 USD DAC with no additional value. So it is a clear driver issue. On reddit and their forums they still pretend they can't reproduce it, despite it taking about 5 mins to reproduce in plenty of modern games.

System Name My PC
Processor 6700K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard GigaByte GA-Z170XP-SLI
Cooling Pure Rock 2 + 4 Fans
Memory 2 x 16GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming X Trio
Storage PNY CS3030 NVMe 1TB, MX500 2TB x 2, 3TB WD Blue
Display(s) 27" curved 165Hz VA 1080p (Gigabyte)
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2ZS with Inspire T7900 7.1 speakers, still!
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Deathadder 2
Keyboard Xtrfy K4
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 14k1 (ish) Timespy (20k2 gfx 5k2 cpu)

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I was more of an Auzentech guy, not that it really mattered after XP.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Not defending Creative here, not sure why you’d think that. I was there while the whole thing was happening. Their drivers WERE trash, nobody argues that, but MS took a nuclear option in this regard and, more importantly, didn’t even try to create some sort of compromise solution that would allow for HW acceleration of audio while still running the driver in user mode.
But yeah, Creative is to blame too with their awful drivers and stifling competition. I remember back then thinking that maybe MS was angling to create their own solution and implement it in DirectSound, but that obviously didn’t happen.
creative drivers have been trash since the MSDOS era
and HW acceleration for sound was basicly not required anymore and just encourged properarity breakage