• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dan Clark Audio CORINA Electrostatic Headphones

Miiksuli

Anything with a good tonal balance, wide soundstage and nice imaging should be fine for gaming. I had no issues using this for some FPS games, for example. Depending on what you are looking for, there are some specialized gaming headsets that do have ANC and game-based EQ which could be more competitive such as the AceZone headsets I am currently testing.
That would be handy. I'm looking forward to it. But I meant some reflections and pinpoint accuracy. You also need speed. Many times I have been called cheater or stupid because I heard a lot of things and I just calculate how to play the game and it is just funny because they don't have any clue how good I hear with my cheap estats. And It's good that headphones are getting better every day.

• Haha
Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
That would be handy. I'm looking forward to it. But I meant some reflections and pinpoint accuracy. You also need speed. Many times I have been called cheater or stupid because I heard a lot of things and I just calculate how to play the game and it is just funny because they don't have any clue how good I hear with my cheap estats. And It's good that headphones are getting better every day.
Haha yeah I know exactly what you mean. You don't need to do anything extra with the CORINA to get that achieved, it's very easy to get spatial imaging and in a quick, precise manner too.

Let me rephrase: given that neither e-stat nor open backs excel at bass, are you sure in this case it's all on e-stat?
It's an honest question, I know you do a very through job, have equipment I don't dream of and have listened to more quality cans than I ever will.

They can. The issue is just that estats tend to be flagship products and that market is not the basshead market.

Dan Clark Audio

Dan Clark Audio Rep
Let me rephrase: given that neither e-stat nor open backs excel at bass, are you sure in this case it's all on e-stat?
It's an honest question, I know you do a very through job, have equipment I don't dream of and have listened to more quality cans than I ever will.
The issue with electrostatic bass measuring flat is a bit more complex. With our Expanse we're able to do some creative work to enhance the bass output that are simply impossible with a stat due to the totally different driver characteristics. That said, electrostatics typically actually create a bit of a bass bump followed by sharp rolloff when the seal isn't great. The bigger the driver the lower the bump frequency, in the case of expanse the characteristic bump is a bit above 30Hz, and since relatively little music has bass below 30Hz a little leakage around the pads may increase perceived bass for some. With small electrostatic drivers, the bump rises in frequency as the air mass on the diaphragm is lighter.

If anyone has other tech question or other questions feel free to ask!

I tried the new Stax SRx-9000 with a Woo Audio 3ES and, at can jam, was very surprised at the amount of bass they produced. The x9000 definately had more weight than these did (which I also demoed with a blue Hawaii as was used in this review) and were better suited for the rock music I listen to. Still, miles above my price range, I personally own HE-500, 660s2, and rs1x, and a Woo Audio WA22 amp; all those combined, including my Bifrost DAC, don't even come close to the cost of the setup reviewed here. This would be my choice if I suddenly won the lottery: https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/bundle-z10e-electrostatic-headphone-amp-stax-sr-x900
Yep, STAX are still the benchmark in the e-stats, with probably the best sound possible from a pair of headphones. At least as of today.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The issue with electrostatic bass measuring flat is a bit more complex. With our Expanse we're able to do some creative work to enhance the bass output that are simply impossible with a stat due to the totally different driver characteristics. That said, electrostatics typically actually create a bit of a bass bump followed by sharp rolloff when the seal isn't great. The bigger the driver the lower the bump frequency, in the case of expanse the characteristic bump is a bit above 30Hz, and since relatively little music has bass below 30Hz a little leakage around the pads may increase perceived bass for some. With small electrostatic drivers, the bump rises in frequency as the air mass on the diaphragm is lighter.

Welcome to TechPowerUp, Dan. Thank you for your time to address the question. I've arranged for a custom user title so people know who you are in case the name wasn't enough!

For those wondering, this is the Expanse being referred to: https://danclarkaudio.com/expanse.html

D

Deleted member 57642

The Audiophile industry - is overflowing with "snake oil" products. And that's mainly because the scams (overly-priced products - be it cables, amps, speakers, headsets, etc) - worked/work better than in any other industry. Thus, this industry - has probably among the highest amount of brands and new comers. Since a good enough product is all it takes - for a brand to climb and sell products as the most prestigious brands in this industry. That being said... and while taking the high price into account - can't help worrying about getting scammed. As almost every successful business owner would say: "If people can afford to be scammed (not missing the money spent) - just turn a blind eye and walk away, since nobody's getting hurt. It's even a win win for both parties involved". And sure, there's wisdom in those words (marketing or business wise) - but personally, even if i afford a product and went with the flow - while taking a huge amount of positive reviews into account... still feels bad (especially - if the product in question falls bellow my expectations - or way way below). So, yeah... i don't know man - maybe if i was millionaire and 10.000$ like pocket change, then sure... never felt about paying 10 extra cents for an identical product.

Just my 2 cents (more of a bang for buck type of guy).

PS.Taste wise, some might find a product that's 10x cheaper - better sounding... :rockout:

Welcome to TPU! It's a rare pleasure having someone of that caliber here!

I only disagree with one thing - there are entire (sub-)genres that rely mainly on the region below 20Hz. Since many people are relatively deaf to such frequencies, they often blame the headphones for not being able to reproduce the sound. Their comparion, however, is to club sound with tens of kW of tuned speakers...

The Audiophile industry - is overflowing with "snake oil" products. And that's mainly because the scams (overly-priced products - be it cables, amps, speakers, headsets, etc) - worked/work better than in any other industry. Thus, this industry - has probably among the highest amount of brands and new comers. Since a good enough product is all it takes - for a brand to climb and sell products as the most prestigious brands in this industry. That being said... and while taking the high price into account - can't help worrying about getting scammed. As almost every successful business owner would say: "If people can afford to be scammed (not missing the money spent) - just turn a blind eye and walk away, since nobody's getting hurt. It's even a win win for both parties involved". And sure, there's wisdom in those words (marketing or business wise) - but personally, even if i afford a product and went with the flow - while taking a huge amount of positive reviews into account... still feels bad (especially - if the product in question falls bellow my expectations - or way way below). So, yeah... i don't know man - maybe if i was millionaire and 10.000$ like pocket change, then sure... never felt about paying 10 extra cents for an identical product.

Just my 2 cents (more of a bang for buck type of guy).

PS.Taste wise, some might find a product that's 10x cheaper - better sounding... :rockout:

It don't mean this to be offensive but it's gibberish. And plenty of PC stuff is overly priced products so it's not like PC gamers have any ground to stand on here.

• Haha

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

Thank you for the additional info, much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 57642

It don't mean this to be offensive but it's gibberish. And plenty of PC stuff is overly priced products so it's not like PC gamers have any ground to stand on here.
It's not offensive - if you can bring some valid points to the table (incontestable proof). Kinda hard for a product - where one's taste is the mot decisive factor. As for plenty of PC stuff being overly priced - i actually agree with this part. There's even a funny irony here, as in... said gamers with overpriced gear (you did misjudged me in this regard - since i'm more of a bang for the buck type of guy) - could also be among the customers of Audio CORINA (a product for people whom not just afford the price - but also prefer it that way for the sake of specialness/rarity - definitely not for people who are looking for a good deal). Anyway, since you mentioned PC stuff, well... price is one thing - but you can actually "accurately" measure the performance of some components. For example: if X brand Video Card at a specific frequency - can achieve 100 Frames Per Second (FPS) in a given game - while buying/using the same configuration - anyone can replicate those exact results to a T.

Same can't be said about audio gear - like the headset in question (or any other audio gear for that matter) - where more often than not - it's mainly a matter of taste. So if you don't know what you're buying (lacking experience with - close to identical audio gear which you happen to fancy for whatever reason) - a review can be more like... "Trust me Bro (even if said bro is/was Sidney Harman or Dan Clark aka MrSpeakers - as known in other community)!" And i say this as an ex Audiophile - who wasted enough money (wasn't always a bang for buck type of guy - or mature enough if you will) on prestigious audio gear - cause i fooled myself (inspired by audio enthusiast communities - tho, sort of mainstream audiophiles... didn't get to the level/expenses of Greek or Japanese Audiophiles) - into believing that said gears - were the only way to walk the path of sound quality. How else can you experience Chesky Records and artists like Rebecca Pidgeon singing her famous Spanish Harlem?

The power of placebo is indeed breath taking - an Ego trip... where one is acting/talking quite similar to a wine Connoisseur (or Sound Connoisseur - if you will). As if part of a select niche - which common mortals could never grasp with their below average hearing capabilities. Wish i was exaggerating - but it goes way deeper than mp3 vs flac quality - it's mainly about "expensive" gear. Had to go through a period where i was close to being broke (and sold most of my gear - still in pristine condition... cause that's how you're suppose to experience this gear - in small dosses - as if it's some old whisky of a prestigious brand - where every 1/4 of a glass is worth 500$) - to wake up and realize that exceptional sound quality can be achieved even at affordable prices. It also helps to have access to different models from all price ranges for testings - and being honest to myself for a change, as in.... not judging a book by its cover or an audio gear by its price.

What can i say... I'm 40 years old and if I was to think about all the times I bent the truth... most are probably tied to expensive audio gear - where i praised an expensive product and acted as if enjoyed the sound - just cause i didn't wanna hurt X's feelings (while the truthful part of me - was glad i wasn't the owner to put up with that muffled sound). But mostly i lied to myself (probably buyer's remorse, feeling bad that i spent so much on a product and trying to convince myself it's actually worth it - but it wasn't). That being said... i had to learn (the hard way) - and develop a skepticism for Audio Products. Cause again, while taking your example with PC and Gamers into account... if someone would praise a GXT 3050 as capable of running X game on Ultra Settings at 100+ FPS (a game where a RTX 4090 struggles to achieve 60+ FPS) - that would be a lie easy to spot by anyone with a basic knowledge of PC gear.

Yet, when audio gear is praised... it's really hard to say if it's truly praise worthy (since audio gear - can only be truly tested in person - with your own ears - while online reviews are just visual presentations - where you're counting on someone else's ears and taste). The gear in question - might be able to pass all the technical tests (achievable even with 200$ audio gear - a common price range for products targeting even audio engineers or musical artists - so called - Studio Headsets), tho... one's taste - tends to have a bigger saying.

Ok, the product in question (Audio CORINA) - is way to expensive to be tested/owned by many. So let's use a cheaper/affordable headset that's highly popular - like Audio-TechnicaATH-M50X - which has 24,863 ratings - with over 90% are positive reviews of which 84% are 5 Stars on Amazon. Highly praised on every site, yet... personally - i find it disappointing - even a piece of crap that's not worth more than 50$. But hey, i spent only 200$ on this headset - so at least when it comes to price - i didn't have the highest expectations. Tho, for the price of Audio CORINA (same goes for other products at this price range or higher) - i do have equally high expectations and... unfortunately, as i keep repeating myself... it's also a matter of taste. Which is something even Dan Clark was whiling to admit (not everyone's cup of tea).

Last edited by a moderator:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
@XSAlliN I've posted this before, but I'll post it again.
The trouble with judging audio equipment is there's no equivalent of a CIE diagram for audio. So yes, I'm sure many people "hear" things that aren't actually there.
As for overspending on audio equipment, I'm not one to judge. There are people losing hundreds of thousand on gambling. And even that is ok, if you only lose disposable income.