• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does fanless motherboards have faulty design?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
they were at one point a necessity

but modern ones... ...have improved

As noted above in post #9 and #20, they sure were a necessity, the devices themselves have improved in efficiency too. But also noted and just as importantly, larger, more efficient heatsinks, larger case fans, and better case cooling all have improved since "back in the day too".

That said, some, but not most, boards today come with fans.

Since, I believe we all agree on this now - I believe we can get back to mclaren85's question and state with certainty, "No! Fanless motherboards do NOT have a faulty design". MSI just expects, and rightfully so IMO, that their top tier motherboards will be mounted in a quality case that provides quality cooling.

I will also note the following,
I carefully monitor the chipset temperature, and while the system is idle, the temp is 56C at minimum,

According to your screenshot, you are referring to TMPIN3. That is NOT the chipset but, as seen here,

What is TMPIN3?
TMPIN3 is actually a temperature sensor placed near GPUs or VRMs. This thing will keep a track of your GPU or VRM. Of Course, your GPU will always have its own temperature sensing system. But, your motherboard also does its job with this sensor. Again, not all motherboards will come with these sensors.

If you are seeing a result for TMPIN3, this is most probably highlighting the temperature related to your graphics card.

TMPIN2, "IF" used, is typically for the south or northbridge (chipset).

In any case, 56°C for either the VRMs or the GPU is only "warm"!

And note there are no industry standards as to specifically which device either of the TMPIN2 or TMPIN3 sensors are required to monitor, or where exactly the sensors will be placed. In fact there are no industry standards even requiring those sensors be used. The point being, these can NOT be used to compare one motherboard to another.

Last, those sensors probably cost $.10 a dozen to manufacturer. They are NOT precision measuring devices. If you really want an accurate measurement of your various motherboard temps, use a quality Laser Guided Infrared Thermometer Gun.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The fan was put in as a safe measure is all, dont like it? Put a custom heatsink on.

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
According to your screenshot, you are referring to TMPIN3

As you stated, there is no international standard. I've checked the bios screen if the reading are accurate.

Attachments

• photo_2022-02-13_20-23-47.jpg
    photo_2022-02-13_20-23-47.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 40
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I've checked the bios screen if the reading are accurate.
Except the BIOS uses those same $.10 per dozen, very low tech sensors. So "accuracy" should be taken with a grain of salt. Consistent may be better.

It probably should be taken very much like typical bathroom scales. We should never assume they are very accurate. So if you weigh 150lbs today, they may say 147lbs and that's okay, as long as that same 150lbs reads 147 tomorrow and the next day and the next too.

Note these sensors are typically diodes that present a certain amount of resistance through them as the temperature rises and falls. Nothing high-tech. And the diode's circuit then simply converts that value into a hexadecimal number. The software (either the BIOS software, or HWMonitor, HWiNFO, etc) converts that hex number into degrees. Again, nothing high tech. So again, accuracy may not be a given, but they should be consistent - that is, if off on the high side 1%, then always off by that same 1%.

The problem with measuring temps in a computer is there are too many variables that are never consistent either. The load is constantly changing. Even ambient (room) temps too. A CPU, for example, can go from cool to hot in just a few clock cycles and there are ~3 billion clock cycles per second with many CPUs.

So while watching our temps is important, I don't worry much about them unless they "sit" high for more than a few seconds. And when that happens, it typically means I need to wash my filters.

One more thing to add more confusion.

Because this measuring and converting numbers is all done in digital formats, the actual measuring is done by "sampling". And it is probably only done once every second or maybe every several seconds. And each monitoring program can set their own sampling rate and sample time, which probably starts when that specific program starts. This means Program A can report 35°C and Program B can report 38°C and both are correct!

Clear as mud, huh?

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
Think about your fan placement and the way air is passing around your case if there is good airflow over the chipset that's all you can do.
As others have said 60°c ain't hot for a chip if it's working at load were only talking 10 or so ° higher than my ambient temps on hot summer days. That's when you need to worry about cooling.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
That's a very, very nice work! But my problem is not about VRMs, but the passive cooled chipset
To sum it up, the X570 chipset is almost identical in design to the IO die within your CPU, meaning it should be able to run at the same temps without issues.
It is absolutely safe until you run into 90C+.