• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

Self teaching, and no I cant explain how that works, and I am aware many cannot self teach.

As a side note I made a game addon for RIft, that I made by self teaching, its codes got used in an Elder scrolls online addon.
I also re-played ESO a while ago and manged to finish off the work, works flawlessly now.

The author was pretty happy, then I noticed my codes, being used for combat detection.

System Name Legion 5-15ACH6 Laptop (Lenovo)
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600H)
Motherboard LENOVO (LNVNB161216)
Cooling Legion Internal Cooling Fans
Memory 8gb SODIMM DDR4 3200Mhz x2 (16gb)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile
Storage SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000L2 M.2 SSD / Samsung 850 EVO SSD x2
Display(s) Built-in 165hz Monitor
Audio Device(s) Lenovo Legion H500 7.1 Headset/Realtek(R) Audio w/Nahimic Audio (ALC3306)
Power Supply 230W 100-240V 50-60Hz AC Adapter
Keyboard Legion Truestrike keyboard Enhanced (101-Key or 102-Key)
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Home Insider Preview x64 (Canary Channel)
Self teaching, and no I cant explain how that works, and I am aware many cannot self teach.
Sure I Was Wondering And Thought That U Had A Mentor But I Wasn't Gonna Ask But K Just Not Much Of A Learner Or Producer More Of A User Or Tester Tbh... Anyway Gtg Now Prob Gonna Eat Breakfast

EDIT: I Prefer And Gonna Eat Fried Eggs lol, But Hey Your Choice Not Mine! (Not To Be Rude Ofc)

Last edited:
Enjoy, just had a boiled egg myself.

====

Just noticed how many people are using the 'External Speakers' package. Personally I am not surprised to see that many wanting stereo on SPDIF-HDMI.
Shame DTS decided to restrict the APO to analogue, although I have done my best for now, Dll's can only be pathed not fully re-coded.

Patched allows you to change some information, for example r13d to r14d, same amount of bytes different numbers.
What I cannot do is change the r13d to Iamadifferentcode because that's more bytes than before.

It is possible to shorten/replace some code, for example APO4-UnLicensed into APO4-Automatic

I almost feel like I should change the industry myself, given how SPDIF works with 6 channels in the same way as HDMI-Analogue, and up to 15.
Not sure why DTS added 11.1 mode (12ch) when analogue can only do 8 channels over 4 plugs, and there is no 11.1 with Windows.

Fun fact is a GPU can be licensed and also have DTS Ultra and co, meaning DTS has a larger market fill and potential profit.

----

If you are new the guide link might not work, so I will quickly give you the guide here.

Edit both of the '.reg' files in the 'Fixes' folder replacing the {HDMI-Device} and/or {SPDIF-Device} with its GUID, (use FX config, select the device and copy).
If you are using only one device, remove the line for the device you are not using, add more lines if needed, then save the file.

1677660843752.png

Copy the 'Fixes' folder to your 'Windows' folder (example C:\Windows), can be any drive letter. Then open 'Task Scheduler'.
Right click in the middle panel and select import, import both .xml files in 'Hidden' or 'Visible' (not both).

1677661258790.png

====

Tip: Disable the upmixer in EAPO when using stereo only, or if stereo is prefered for any reason.

Yes you can use 32 bit mode if the internal DAC supports it (analogue out).

----

----

@DeathThrills:

Audio Engine.png

Headphones.png

Attachments

• Downloads.png
    Downloads.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DTSX 1.png
    DTSX 1.png
    4 MB · Views: 69
  • DTSX 2.png
    DTSX 2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 74
  • DTSX SPDIF.png
    DTSX SPDIF.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
@DeathThrills, some old images of me using the 'DTS Settings' package to program HDMI and Virtual Speakers (VAC).

Attachments

• Extractor.png
    Extractor.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 65
  • HDMI.png
    HDMI.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
  • Virtual.png
    Virtual.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
System Name Legion 5-15ACH6 Laptop (Lenovo)
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600H)
Motherboard LENOVO (LNVNB161216)
Cooling Legion Internal Cooling Fans
Memory 8gb SODIMM DDR4 3200Mhz x2 (16gb)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile
Storage SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000L2 M.2 SSD / Samsung 850 EVO SSD x2
Display(s) Built-in 165hz Monitor
Audio Device(s) Lenovo Legion H500 7.1 Headset/Realtek(R) Audio w/Nahimic Audio (ALC3306)
Power Supply 230W 100-240V 50-60Hz AC Adapter
Keyboard Legion Truestrike keyboard Enhanced (101-Key or 102-Key)
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Home Insider Preview x64 (Canary Channel)
@DeathThrills, some old images of me using the 'DTS Settings' package to program HDMI and Virtual Speakers (VAC).
There's Virtual Audio But Isnt There Like Virtual HDMI? Or Virtual SPDIF?
I Know Dumb Question Just Been Stuck In My Head For A While So Just Asking
You Don't Need To Answer Just Wondering.

Yes it does also do virtual SPDIF not sure if it does virtual HDMI, not sure if you can setup virtual SPDIF with Interactive then send that to HDMI (GPU).
If it does work, you will probably need to set the virtual recording device to stereo, then set listen to HDMI (Intel GPU), passthrough.

Here I do a similar thing, but I set Stereo mix to mute, and listen on Optical, the encoder is now always on.

1677929351999.png

You shouldn't split audio signals. They tend to get handled by Windows Mixer with sample-conversipn back and forth, along with limiters.
Hear if you can hear a difference when having "listen via.." enabled and disabled. Should be a difference.

Oh I'm dumb. If that's the way you are keeping the encoding going, then there probably will be more than a diff. Lel. But heed what I wrote. Can't fool Exclusive mode (WASAPI) with correct buffer, sample rate and such.

WASAPI exclusive is quite a powerful tool to bitstream, but yes I am only using the stereo mix to get SPDIF to have a constant input (without audio), which keeps the stream active.
Personally I don't have start-stop popping-other, that other people experience with SPDIF, but that's an on-off scenario, the constant stream means always on.

If you remember how the Creatives used to do encoding, its was a stream from analogue to SPDIF with encoding in-between, it therefore had a constant stream.

The DTS DCH driver actually utilizes the SPDIF endpoint directly to do 6 channels *, then final encoding on EFX. *Even more so in HT mode.

----

Also note Windows its self requires updates, currently its not possible to set 11.1, or even 15 channels for LPCM, HDA @ ~37mps can do up to 32 x 48k @ 24b.
SPDIF consumer standard allows us up to 15 x 192k @ 24b (too much for HDA), but we can do 15 x 96k @ 24b (remember 96/24 DTS?).

15 channel 'programmable' SPDIF transmitters exist [SPDIF = HDA + Transmitter], so there is no reason to use the legacy ones.
Yamaha are using ESS Sabre DAC's, some of which support the 15 channel SPDIF consumer standard.

TOSLink cables and transmitters-receivers can do up to 125mbps, and a good quality cable will specify all formats and up to 7.1 LPCM.

Even the ESS Sabre portable (mobiles, laptops, so on) supports 15 channels SPDIF standard and 32 bit.

Attachments

• SPDIF.png
    SPDIF.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1678022061159.png
    1678022061159.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Full Rate.png
    Full Rate.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Digital Managed Audio System.png
    Digital Managed Audio System.png
    10 KB · Views: 37
  • TOSLink Cable.png
    TOSLink Cable.png
    344.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Windows can be weird at times, and Equalizer APO has its own problems, if even after then service fix the audio is not quite right, shutdown and unplug the computer from power for 4+ hours.
I have had odd issues with both my older ALC 889 and newer ALC 1220, the same issue. After the change to the service and full power off, all should work correctly, always.

The strange part is the APO are using set codes, and don't vary in a way that Windows decides to behave, never managed to find the direct cause.

As a side note I have seen some games telling the user in FAQ's-other, to do a full shutdown to fix a graphics issue (ever noticed a flash frame of something else you did earlier?).

----

Q: What does the Service fix do?

A: Adds dependencies to both DTS and Realtek services, and sets the Windows audio engine to manual start, causing the services to start the engine.

1678196400114.png 1678196427777.png

----

I have uploaded a lightly modified S1220A policy. Added Test files, I use E-APO to upmix stereo to 5.1 only.

1678208295298.png

----

Here is a way to imagine audio loss, lets pretend MP3 was 7-Zip or WinRAR, and we compressed an 8K Ultra Definition image into MP3.
If we then uncompress the image, we would see missing pixels, maybe odd or washy colours, other artefacts.

Its easier to notice missing parts of an image more than detecting audio change in many cases.

The minimum I suggest for lossy encoders is 250kbps per channel, 500kbps stereo. 6 x 250kbps = 1.5mbps (DTS).

1678277015667.png

1600-2000kbps area for stereo FLAC.

----

Extra note, If you use SPDIF with the Microsoft driver, which will be 2 channel PCM, you can get random noises and fizzing, silly Microsoft.

----

Here is my TOSLink cable that I purchased about 10+ years ago, when I had the Z-5500 system. Its rated to 125mbps.
Visibly we can see its near enough as thick as a USB and/or DisplayPort cable, which is interesting.

IMG_20230307_160548.jpg IMG_20230307_160620.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to bother you, I sent you a PM with that too, hope you don't mind!
Windows can be weird at times, and Equalizer APO has its own problems, if even after then service fix the audio is not quite right, shutdown and unplug the computer from power for 4+ hours.
I have had odd issues with both my older ALC 889 and newer ALC 1220, the same issue. After the change to the service and full power off, all should work correctly, always.

The strange part is the APO are using set codes, and don't vary in a way that Windows decides to behave, never managed to find the direct cause.

As a side note I have seen some games telling the user in FAQ's-other, to do a full shutdown to fix a graphics issue (ever noticed a flash frame of something else you did earlier?).

----

Q: What does the Service fix do?

A: Adds dependencies to both DTS and Realtek services, and sets the Windows audio engine to manual start, causing the services to start the engine.

View attachment 286777 View attachment 286778

----

I have uploaded a lightly modified S1220A policy. Added Test files, I use E-APO to upmix stereo to 5.1 only.

View attachment 286821

----

Here is a way to imagine audio loss, lets pretend MP3 was 7-Zip or WinRAR, and we compressed an 8K Ultra Definition image into MP3.
If we then uncompress the image, we would see missing pixels, maybe odd or washy colours, other artefacts.

Its easier to notice missing parts of an image more than detecting audio change in many cases.

The minimum I suggest for lossy encoders is 250kbps per channel, 500kbps stereo. 6 x 250kbps = 1.5mbps (DTS).

View attachment 286934

1600-2000kbps area for stereo FLAC.

----

Extra note, If you use SPDIF with the Microsoft driver, which will be 2 channel PCM, you can get random noises and fizzing, silly Microsoft.

----

Here is my TOSLink cable that I purchased about 10+ years ago, when I had the Z-5500 system. Its rated to 125mbps.
Visibly we can see its near enough as thick as a USB and/or DisplayPort cable, which is interesting.

View attachment 286812 View attachment 286813

I live in Brazil, I have a set of 5 Ascend Acoustics speakers and a HSU subwoofer running on a Denon 3313CI receiver. It's rather old, but it's very good. It has ARC support.
My TV is a LG Oled C1 55"

And the computer in question is a:
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5700X
RTX 3080ti
Asus B550M TUF Gaming Plus (that's where the spdif cable is connected all the way to the receiver)
I don't have room for any more PCI cards. The 3080 ti ate all the room.

I've tried that guide on github, installing 2.80 realtek and patching, but the realtek wouldn't finish installing and I couldn't find the folder for the .dlls to patch... at the end it left my computer so broken I couldn't use the taskbar at all and had to restore windows.

Any help? I've tried like crazy using ARC, and now using toslink. With toslink I can test all speakers with DTS and Dolby Digital on supported formats...

Help plz =( it took me years to get all this together and now I can't even use the audio!

Sorry to bother you, I sent you a PM with that too, hope you don't mind!

I live in Brazil, I have a set of 5 Ascend Acoustics speakers and a HSU subwoofer running on a Denon 3313CI receiver. It's rather old, but it's very good. It has ARC support.
My TV is a LG Oled C1 55"

And the computer in question is a:
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5700X
RTX 3080ti
Asus B550M TUF Gaming Plus (that's where the spdif cable is connected all the way to the receiver)
I don't have room for any more PCI cards. The 3080 ti ate all the room.

I've tried that guide on github, installing 2.80 realtek and patching, but the realtek wouldn't finish installing and I couldn't find the folder for the .dlls to patch... at the end it left my computer so broken I couldn't use the taskbar at all and had to restore windows.

Any help? I've tried like crazy using ARC, and now using toslink. With toslink I can test all speakers with DTS and Dolby Digital on supported formats...

Help plz =( it took me years to get all this together and now I can't even use the audio!
I would suggest to use Ferather's driver and install it like it is described in post #1.
TOSLink should work fine with it. I have a 5.1 surround system connected via SPDIF and it's just great with this driver. When you additionally use EAPO Upmixer it gets even better. DTS and DTSX:Ultra works fine with this and it is a very clean driver without bloat stuff.

I would suggest to use Ferather's driver and install it like it is described in post #1.
TOSLink should work fine with it. I have a 5.1 surround system connected via SPDIF and it's just great with this driver. When you additionally use EAPO Upmixer it gets even better. DTS and DTSX:Ultra works fine with this and it is a very clean driver without bloat stuff.
I don't want upmixing. If it's stereo then I want it to be stereo and that's that!

If you additional help PM again after, I can use TeamViewer to setup the driver if needed, although there is nothing to do except make sure its a clean install (no other Realtek drivers, extensions.)

If you additional help PM again after, I can use TeamViewer to setup the driver if needed, although there is nothing to do except make sure its a clean install (no other Realtek drivers, extensions.)
I do be needing additional help. I've no idea what to do exactly on command prompt!

When I tried deleting oem5.inf I got the msg that

Deleting the driver package failed : One or more devices are presently installed using the specified INF.

I will PM you, that's where some people do get stuck. Done, enjoy DTS Interactive + DTS:X APO4.

====

Analysing a DTS:X 11.1 file using Audacity set to SPDIF (6 channles):

1678369992466.png

----

1678371009885.png

1678370630280.png

Last edited:
Hopefully it wont be long before we get 15 channel SPDIF as mainstream, since its the current standard, and the hardware exists, even at the receiver level.
It would try to keep an eye on it, we could see digital only systems, something like my DMAS image (re-posted), with an ADC for analogue inputs.

I am not sure that it would be possible to get anymore lossless than my DMAS idea, since TOSLink is rated lossless, and so on.

I have seen Headphones DSP's that are much like my DMAS, but use Class-D, with the power stage at the end, it's rated as digital headphones.

----

Also note, if your receiver can do 192k 24b stereo (thankfully Realtek does), then you should be able to receive Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD HRA.
The Logitech Z906, supports 24/96 (and DTS 24/96), regardless it cant decode either way. Waiting for any new releases.

Win10 -1.png Win10 -2.png

1678375512687.png

----

Potplayer with setup registry file. Decodes all formats to PCM.

----

Audio Formats PCM And Which One Is Right For You (audiophilemusic.io)

Attachments

• Digital Managed Audio System.png
    Digital Managed Audio System.png
    10 KB · Views: 47
  • 1678376667419.png
    1678376667419.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Oops, a lil problem: now the green rear panel jack is no longer working for my bedroom Edifier Speakers lol.

Issue fixed. Note that Realtek does not separate Headphones from Speakers as default, you need to use the Realtek app to separate them, restart once done.

----

Update: DTS DCH 6.0.9484.1 (Signed), see post 1 for the download and instructions.

Headphones.png

Last edited:
DTS Settings package updated, removed a redundant registry file. Taking a break for a while. Feel free to post questions, or ask for help (I normally use TeamViewer).

----

Optional:

You can use the 'Multichannel [Interactive].reg' to put SPDIF into 6 channel PCM mode (HT), opposed to the legacy mode, 2ch + bypass (its up to you).
The same files can be used to program a non-Realtek GPU (AMD, other) that supports EFX (most do), including Interactive.

Quick guide:

> Copy the relevant registry file, rename it to the device you want to program, edit the file replacing both {DEVICE-ID}'s with the key from FX config.
> Save the file, then using the Windows sound configuration (where you see all your devices), disable it, apply the reg, restart pc, enable.

If you chose to use HT mode, its as if you pressed the configure button with analogue/HDMI, and set 5.1 + Interactive.

You can also use the files to switch SPDIF between Stereo/Interactive (without the restart).

Attachments

• 6.0.9484.1 -- APO4 + DTS Interactive -1.png
    6.0.9484.1 -- APO4 + DTS Interactive -1.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 6.0.9484.1 -- APO4 + DTS Interactive -2.png
    6.0.9484.1 -- APO4 + DTS Interactive -2.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DTS DCH 6.0.9484.1.png
    DTS DCH 6.0.9484.1.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 110
  • DTS DCH Apps.png
    DTS DCH Apps.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Fireblade - W10.png
    Fireblade - W10.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 107
  • SPDIF - HT Mode.png
    SPDIF - HT Mode.png
    409.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Repacked: DTS DCH 6.0.9484.1 (Signed), see post 1 for the download and instructions.

Improvements, final. Enjoy. Will do an update in a few months.

If you are using Stereo Mix to keep the encoder always on, and intend to use the new reg file in 'DTS Settings' make sure Stereo Mix is setup and is connected to SPDIF before using it.

There is an issue with Windows its self, which also happens with VAC (virtual audio cable) and the 'listen to' feature with recording devices.
It will eventually go away, it causes no issue, but you will see the Audio Graph using CPU when idle (Task manager).

If it happens to you on Windows load (startup) and its bugging you, mute SPDIF or Stereo Mix from the mixer, then unmute.

1679079817143.png

----

IEC 60958-5:2021 | IEC Webstore | IEC 60958-5 Ed. 1.0 b:2021 < OEM's should advertise this spec when using the current consumer standard SPDIF.

Last edited:
The crystal sound hardware DSP works on SPDIF also, it also has an effect line using the Realtek APO. After some basic testing, it also works on multichannel SPDIF.
Shame Asus put a legacy 2 channel SPDIF transmitter in-line, else it could be IEC 60958-5 and 15 channel consumer level (programmable).

I am not using any modified policy, just the native one it comes with.

Last edited: