• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek HDA [DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive]

Only the ones I posted above, as far as I know. Inactive timers, shouldn't happen though with a constant stream.
I turn off power save myself (Windows and Bios), idle uses less or equal to a 30w phone charger.

I also disable hibernate features: How to disable and re-enable hibernation.
I turn my PC off if I am not going to use it for a while.

Hibernation and all the energy saving thingis are turned off by default on my systems. Because I know they only cause trouble.
I messed around a lot with the powerplans. There was, unfortunatly, no difference with my sound system.

Noted, here are my settings, and an extra image of powercfg. If I find something else I will let you know. @Kabal81, if Stereo Mix is muted internally, try unmuted no speakers (post here).
@Kabal81, also for stereo games that don't upmix, plug a cable into green out, set 'Speakers' as default, then 'Stereo Mix' will send upmixable stereo (listen to: SPDIF).

In fact thinking about it your cable end can go into green out (green-out to line-in), and do it that way in hardware loop, not sure which is quicker.

====

Note to all:

Imagine an app or audio file that is 24 bit in total, also imagine its using the maximum decibels 24 bit can digitally represent (around 144.5 dB).
Windows volume management seems to be after some APO points (SFX-MFX), meaning it wont stop digital clipping until then.

To make digital clipping impossible, and add an allowance for EQ's and other enhancers to work without clipping, we can use EAPO.
You can use my config and setup (here), disable (power off) the upmixer if you are using 2 channel (stereo).

Thankfully EAPO is setup at the SFX point and is the first APO (other than MS hidden APO's) to process audio. EQ's, other, are on MFX (after).

-14 dB should be enough for any enhancer. -4 to -8 dB is enough for most things.

DTS-EQ.png

----

Attachments

• Power 1.png
    Power 1.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Power 2.png
    Power 2.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Power 3.png
    Power 3.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Power 4.png
    Power 4.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Noted, here are my settings, and an extra image of powercfg. If I find something else I will let you know. @Kabal81, if Stereo Mix is muted internally, try unmuted no speakers (post here).
@Kabal81, also for stereo games that don't upmix, plug a cable into green out, set 'Speakers' as default, then 'Stereo Mix' will send upmixable stereo (listen to: SPDIF).

In fact thinking about it your cable end can go into green out (green-out to line-in), and do it that way in hardware loop, not sure which is quicker.
Thx. Will first check you suggestion with unmuting stereo mix.
After that I will check with the hardware loop. But for now I only found Cyberpunk to not upmix/recognize 5.1 properly. The Division 2 for example just works fine with great spatial audio.

@Ferather
Ok it seems that your suggestion to unmute stereo mix just works fine. I have unmuted it, while my line-in with the cable attached is deactivated.
My soundsystem stays on as it should.

Awesome. @Laurijan, try Stereo Mix unmuted, either speakers unplugged or disabled, and see if it comes back after sleep.

====

Speakers.png

Potplayer not at 100% maximum volume. All working no bugs (tested with this change).
Amplify is an amp after the DAC, I selected powerful (was on lowest).

Last edited:
Hello, I encountered this problem after a recent update. I couldn't set the port location. I was thinking it might be related to the fact that I messed up my registration file a while ago. How should I solve it? Thank you.

螢幕擷取畫面 2023-10-12 044709.jpg

Go to: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
And search for: RTKHDAUD.dat

If the file exists delete it and reboot, else you will need to undo any registry changes you did.
You might need to re-install Windows if you don't know what you did :s

Post 1 updated, if you own Sound Unbound (store account) and are using the latest version, its probably still the case that Headphones: None = Speakers.
With the older Sound Unbound app, you get two separate options, it may have changed again, but if not that's where it is.

For most of you, simply install the driver (from clean), then check the Ultra app works on stereo-analogue, swapping to alternative if not. You are done!
If you are fussy, you can go ahead and use the 'DTS Settings' file, to alter the registry data windows generates, and other reasons.

You can also use the 'DTS Settings' to program a non-Realtek device that uses HDA, such as a AMD or Nvidia GPU.

Attachments

• HDMI Extractor -1.png
    HDMI Extractor -1.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 68
  • HDMI Extractor -2.png
    HDMI Extractor -2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I wonder if this modded driver can cause a motherboard to BSOD. Ever since I installed the driver I had reboots almost every day. Replacing the motherboard (had a spare 1151 board, since I knew it usually breaks first im my rig) did fix the problem. Just dont want to use the modded driver again.
Reboot problem motherboard didnt even work anymore reliably after a couple of windows reinstalls were i did not install driver mods.

Last edited:
No that should not be the case. The driver is standard to Realtek, and APO's are software PCM processors, offload is not used (which is hardware processing).
You can also not install a driver and add the APO's to Microsoft's implementation of an HDA driver, and it works the same.

I myself and others have been using this package for years. All Realtek files are original and untouched.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Was thinking maybe the onboard realtek worked somehow on its limits with me having DTS enabled all the time and wore down somehow. Could be coincidence too since I had reboots before too but less frequent. Suspected auto overclock back then.

At least now I had a reason to put my rig in a new shiny case I had laying around but was to lazy to start using.

No thankfully not, all audio devices accept PCM, and there is nothing special about PCM, or DTSi other than its audio (does not contain instructions or anything other than audio).
Software processors don't use hardware, and don't actually need an audio device to do its job, it processes the PCM before it reaches the audio device.

If there where hardware processing enabled, the Realtek driver would control the number of streams send to hardware, and software.

----

Personally I have a known issue with impedance detection on analogue, it works but does not report back the Ohms, its a known hardware issue with Realtek.
Unfortunately hardware defects do exist, even with a simple Realtek device. I don't use analogue, but I've read about damage done (power).

It was like that before the driver, and there was an electrical smell coming from my Z906, so now unplugged.

----

At this moment, if I turn off my PC, plug in analogue, switch Z906 to analogue in, then power on, I get the right settings for powered speakers.

----

I also had a Gigabyte FX motherboard, that with a certain BIOS version, if put to sleep it would wake without turning on any fans, 100*C+ CPU.

====

I already disliked analogue before I upgraded my PC, In fact I did now know about the hardware defect for a while, I was not using analogue.
I don't like power based signals or power based circuits, always lossy. Amp + amp with defect is an insult to injury.

As soon as a good quality DMAS - True Sound comes out, I am upgrading to multichannel SPDIF.

Attachments

• Asus ROG Forums.png
    Asus ROG Forums.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Windows Audio Engine.png
    Windows Audio Engine.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 43
  • ALC Circuit.png
    ALC Circuit.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
@Ferather I've found another program which have the issue of not upmixing stereo content. It's the desktop youtube frontend FreeTube https://freetubeapp.io/
I was searching for a browser alternative for youtube because of the ongoing fight between adblocker and youtube^^
Since this is just a little app, maybe you could run some tests with it to figure out why it's not upmixing.

I will have a look at some point, but I would guess its like general web browsers, which connect to SPDIF as 6 channels, then populates each channel based on input.
Upmixers like the one with Equalizer APO, will detect 6 channels as there is 6, and not run any upmix code, because its set to detect 2 channels.

Normally if there is 6 channels connected to SPDIF, its because its a 5.1 audio track, but browsers don't behave as normal.
Mordhau the game also does the same thing, or it did the last time I played, connects as 6 outputs 2.

YouTube (Edge).png

Last edited:
I will have a look at some point, but I would guess its like general web browsers, which connect to SPDIF as 6 channels, then populates each channel based on input.
Upmixers like the one with Equalizer APO, will detect 6 channels as there is 6, and not run any upmix code, because its set to detect 2 channels.

Normally if there is 6 channels connected to SPDIF, its because its a 5.1 audio track, but browsers don't behave as normal.
Mordhau the game also does the same thing, or it did the last time I played, connects as 6 outputs 2.

View attachment 318175
Ahhh ok, that makes sense. It detects my system correct, connects to all channels and plays only the stereo content.

You can edit the upmixer in E-APO from == 2, to == 6. This will force the upmixer to upmix left-right to all other channels.
Just make sure to switch it back after, else true 6 channel audio with be upmixed left-right only.

That trick also works as you would expect on games like Mordhau.

====

If you need to fully reset DTS after a Windows update, or other reasons, disable 'Stereo Mix', then open 'Regedit'.
Delete all endpoints, then restart the computer: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO

DTS Full Reset.png

Enable 'Stereo Mix' after the restart, if you're using it.

Last edited:
Another good reason I wont ever use analogue. I was thinking earlier, if I send 120 dB of PCM, the DAC does not output 120 dB of power signal, which means a lot was lost.
In fact to get close to optical (digital signal, no power, no DAC [yet]), I have to set the analogue amp (after DAC) to extreme, which is mildly louder.

Also, the DAC in the Z906 seems to be doing a significantly better job at maintaining the correct dB. Analogue with extreme (power signal) will wear out my Z906.
Using optical my Z906 and computer are completely isolated from one another in terms of power, and power signal.

The lowest amplifier setting with analogue still adds power, as far as I know, so this guarantees a lower volume when using analogue.
Imagine I purchased a £500 amp, just to get back the signal loss, that's quite an expensive compensation.

----

We can of coarse swap out the traditional and largely outdated DAC + Amp situation if more OEM's went full digital and use instead PowerDAC's.
True Sound with 1:1 output | 60 dB instruments (recorded to PCM) > PowerDAC > Speaker/Headphone > 60 dB SPL.

Not only is it faster and more accurate, but also not expensive at all, potentially cheaper in a DMAS situation.

Attachments

• E1DA PowerDAC V2 (PDAC).png
    E1DA PowerDAC V2 (PDAC).png
    331.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Optical.png
    Optical.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • Latency.png
    Latency.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This is a pretty cool VST despite me not having a real use case for it. If someone wants to upmix who uses PCM this works. Read the readme.

Basically, it generates height for a single (any) channel and outputs the base to the left, and height to the right output channel. You can set it up a number of ways.

Cavern Documentation (sbence.hu)
Download Cavern (sbence.hu)

Attachments

• cavernsplitter.zip
    74.6 KB · Views: 35
Noted, the VST's I have tested are all good, no added latency it seems but it does add to CPU usage (about 0.3%).

On a side note, If I purchased a £300 sound card, I bet £20 is SPDIF, the rest analogue.
Why is something so out of date so expensive to get right?

Most consumer products these days are fully digital, including TV and radio, only soundcards use analogue.
I also don't think there are any-many high end AVR's with 6 channel analogue direct input.

The only upgrade from the digital age I would guess is the optical age. Digital management.

----

If I compared a two different DMAS's, both badged 'True Sound 1:1', the difference between the two will be 0%.
The only time I would hear change, is if I changed the speakers, which have P-DAC's.

----

Also note, most OEM's are ignoring the current consumer and professional standard Sony-Philips Digital Interface Format (SPDIF).
You can read more in my DMAS link, its still built as if it where legacy SPDIF (1983), 2 channel, not current standard.

SPDIF uses IEC 60958-3, which still gets updates, transmitters are programmable (speaker config, other).

SPDIF IEC 60958-3.png

Direct CPU to SPDIF bridge, no HDA would be interesting.

====

Second image below, I created a bi-directional optical system for HDMI-DP. Single specific lanes of single fiber, a multi-fiber cable.

The video lane could start at 100 Gbps (NRZ-PAM2), and later move to 200Gbps (other encoding, example PAM4).
The audio and data lane can-will also have their own bandwidth, 125Mbps audio 10Gbps data.

This would require a new version, due to the built in optical transmitters-receivers (not in the cable or connector).
Blanking periods for audio-other are not required (data island period).

Optical - HDMI-DP (v X.x).png

Last edited:
DTS DCH driver package re-uploaded, and post 1 updated (yesterday). Not an update (unless you are using and older version number).
I removed the tools folder and placed it into a separate package (Settings and Utility > Device Tools).

The main package is now officially a driver only package, along with one text file.

----

The DTS:X Ultra app will automatically download from the store, if you don't want to use it, you can uninstall it.
All additional downloads in the 'Settings and Utility' section, are [optional] downloads.

Last edited:
How to switch SPDIF between DTS and Stereo:

Download 'DTS Settings' (Setting and Utility), then create a new folder called 'SPDIF Config', copy both 'Multichannel [Interactive].reg' and 'Stereo.reg' to the folder.
Follow the provided image below to get the endpoint GUID and edit the .reg files, then you can double click to switch between modes.

To keep EAPO, add: "{EACD2258-FCAC-4FF4-B36D-419E924A6D79}" to "{d04e05a6-594b-4fb6-a80d-01af5eed7d1d},5"=

GUID.png

You may need to disable-enable device (current streams).

Here is an interesting bug, which I think is partly Windows and partly Realtek, although I am not sure because I restore Windows (testing, other).
I noticed yesterday in the partition backup of C drive (Windows only), there is a hidden 'RTHDASettings' folder.

After some investigation, it turns out the motherboard likely extracts data to the Windows partition for driver purposes.
If the partition was ext4 (other) and not ntfs, then it would not be likely the data would be present at all.

In my case I have an Asus S1220A, and its a Crystal Sound 3 (hardware), custom, so there is 'AsusCusDat.zip'.

Backup - 1.png Backup - 2.png Backup - 3.png

-----

Anyhow, I disabled all capture and render endpoints via registry and 'DeviceState', then restarted Windows, then enabled only what I use.
Some endpoints have the state 4 or 8 (end), after the restart they go back (which is good), else enable 'used' then restart.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\

Disable: DeviceState = 10000001 (Hex) | Enable: DeviceState = 1 (Hex)

Fix - 1.png Fix - 2.png

Flawless audio (was having some odd bugs).

====

I am using Paragon Backup & Recovery on USB, live, so I restored, edited the reg, then new backup without running Windows.

Attachments

• Partitions.png
    Partitions.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Here is an interesting bug, which I think is partly Windows and partly Realtek, although I am not sure because I restore Windows (testing, other).
I noticed yesterday in the partition backup of C drive (Windows only), there is a hidden 'RTHDASettings' folder.
What's in the folder? Where is it in Windows? I have an Asus board too mine uses the 1168 though. Asus locks their shit down. This folder could be the key to unlock it and allow stuff to work how we want instead of how they want.

I gave up on trying to get Windows to see HDMI as a different device other than how it processes it. Every api I try to use that is somewhat new reads it as headphones, trying to trick it through registry did nothing but steal my time lol. I would be happier getting it to somehow recognize height speakers to properly set up 5.1.2.

It's specially hidden, I would not even know about it, only because I opened the backup in 7-Zip and noticed it. I tied yesterday to locate it on the drive, its not possible, not even if I mount it.

It's hard to describe how this has been implemented, it's as if the partition has two data files, one is the actual partition, the other with OEM data in it.
Where you can only ever access or mount the main partition file as C:\, and can never directly mount the OEM data point.

Also my Asus S1220A + CS3 is a 1168 same as you. That won't solve HDMI that is driven by AMD-Nvidia-Other, and Windows doesn't support modern speaker configs such as 5.1.2.

Edit: I would also guess that a certain step takes place when the driver is installed, as endpoints are deleted and remade.

Dev_1168.png Windows (C).png

----

@bottlefedc83, some further thoughts, you should be able to set as 7.1, then a media player will need to be set to 7.1, but swap side to height before output as 7.1.
Windows wont care what audio is populating the side channels, although you cant set MS APO's to height, it should be fine at this point.

The receiver will receive 8 channels as expected (5.1 +2 height = 8 ch), if set to 5.1.2 then side as height out. Note it could be rear and not side.
If you are talking about games, then the game will need to do the same thing as the media player example, and support it.

Last edited: