• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dying Light 2 discussion thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 24505
  • Start date
I Love the 1st game. Provide some review or thoughts when you guys get a chance to play more of it.

I see on Steam it's mostly positive but lots of people have performance issues.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Hows the combat and gameplay?

Oh and hows the coop support?

D

Deleted member 24505

I had a little play last night, combat seems ok. Lots of stuff in the skills list to try when you get the points to spend. I will give it a much better try today, but upto now, not sorry i bought it. Don't give two shits about denuvo tbh. I have it on my WD black sn850 and load times are sweet too.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Delliverance
Processor i7 14700K / i9-14900K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / Z690
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / Air
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / DDR5 2x 16gb
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / GeForce RTX 4080
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / NVM3 PC801 SK hynix 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k / 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k
Case Phantek "400A" / Dell XPS 8960
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Sound Blaster X1
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / 750w
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Glorious Gaming Model O 2 Wireless
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
I watched some game play last night....... and well.. I just bought it!! haha I know most are saying that the main bad guy isn't that great and forgettable, but honestly I can't remember the one from the first game. I didn't like the first one because of it's story. I liked the game play the most with just the right amount of story. I really don't care for games with long cut scenes. I'd rather just play the game. If there is an option to skip the scene I do 99.99% If I do actually want to hear the story then either my wife are kids will ask me something in the middle of it.. haha I just want to get from point a to point b and maybe kill some shit. haha This has that 100%.

I think that's why I'm not enjoying RDRD 2.. I have no clue wtf is going on most of the time. haha I'm just riding around on a horse simulator shoot everyone I see and taking their stuff. My nephew was watching me play and was like you don't have to shoot that person they are good. I just looked at him and said no witnesses! haha

D

Deleted member 24505

I watched some game play last night....... and well.. I just bought it!! haha I know most are saying that the main bad guy isn't that great and forgettable, but honestly I can't remember the one from the first game. I didn't like the first one because of it's story. I liked the game play the most with just the right amount of story. I really don't care for games with long cut scenes. I'd rather just play the game. If there is an option to skip the scene I do 99.99% If I do actually want to hear the story then either my wife are kids will ask me something in the middle of it.. haha I just want to get from point a to point b and maybe kill some shit. haha This has that 100%.

I think that's why I'm not enjoying RDRD 2.. I have no clue wtf is going on most of the time. haha I'm just riding around on a horse simulator shoot everyone I see and taking their stuff. My nephew was watching me play and was like you don't have to shoot that person they are good. I just looked at him and said no witnesses! haha

You must be very like me, skip, skip, shoot or kill things/people, skip, skip. My mate paul goes mad at me for doing it, "don't you want to know the story?" "do i fuck" ha ha.

I do like this game upto now, totally not sorry i bought it. Wonder what the multi player is like?

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / NVM3 PC801 SK hynix 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k / 2x LG HDR 32" 60hz 4k
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
You must be very like me, skip, skip, shoot or kill things/people, skip, skip. My mate paul goes mad at me for doing it, "don't you want to know the story?" "do i fuck" ha ha.

I do like this game upto now, totally not sorry i bought it. Wonder what the multi player is like?
I know it has Coop but I didn't know it had multi player. I'll have to check that out. I'm just hoping they say something about VR support soon. I figure vorpx will have something but I'd rather them have native support.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I can confirm coop works fantastic. You will have to play through to the open-world segment of the game before coop mode is enabled but my buddy and I were stomping walkers for a good while last night.

My pc is running all stock and I play at 4k resolution. The game maxed out without RT on nets me a solid 60 at all times. I think I have it locked to 60, but it never dips. When I put on RT though, that sends multiple settings into Ultra and at that point, things take a turn for the worse. Everything maxed out, ultra, RT on, and 4k, nets me around 45 fps. I've seen it dip as low as 40 and as high as 52 fps.

I'm sure I can play around with the settings to get a better experience but it might not be worth it to me as the game looks beautiful without RT on and without it, it runs so silky smooth.

The only real problem I have with the game (technically speaking) is rebinding the jump key. I don't use WASD for movement and instead, use the arrow keys under the 6pack. I always remap my keys and jump is my wheel back tilt. I love having jump there.

So in this game remapping the jump key works, running around and climbing using the new jump key works fine BUT, when you climb and have to stop to reach out to jump to another section? The new key refuses to work and I have to reach over and still use the default space bar key to jump. So it seems the game has two jump functions tied to the default space bar and only one can be rebound to another key.

I hope they fix this soon.

That aside, so far combat is pretty good, feels fluid enough. Voice acting isn't as bad as people claim, the game world looks fantastic. It's a step up from DL1 for sure. The parkour system is very good and very fluid, transitions are smoother and it just feels good BUT, jumping through the air gives the sensation that there is less gravity or something. It's hard to explain but my character feels like he is floating a bit. Other than that all other aspects of the parkouring system feel great.
My main complaint is the addition of the stamina bar when climbing, or running up muddy hills or steep inclines. The stamina bar drains fast and once it does, you just fall. DL1 did not have this and it makes climbing, especially during a chase, all the more frustrating. I could without a doubt do away with this feature.

My next complaint is they removed the repair feature so you can no longer use scrap metal and such to repair your weapons. Instead, the only option is to modify your weapons and in doing so it will provide a bit of repair to the weapon. It's a roundabout way to repair but IMO sucks. I had a nice weapon that I liked a lot, once it broke it was gone from my inventory. No way to fix it. At least modding will repair to an extent but I have not fully tested that out yet.

It took me 3.5 hours to get into the open-world segment of the game, and my buddy 2.6 hours. I had that jumping technical issue that held me up so I lost 30 minutes to that until I figured out I needed to use two jump buttons. I figure if you rush and don't stop to enjoy the scenery or loot areas you can do it in 1.5-2 hours.

The jury is still out as I am only about 6 hours in but so far I am enjoying it. Problems aside, it is fun!

D

Deleted member 24505

I'm 2-3 hours in, not impressed in any way, "just ok". Lots of mechanics that seem tacked on. Combat is clunky

I guess there are still a few patches they need to make yet.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Everything feels like a chore, as soon as I find a somewhat decent benchmark scene I'm done with it

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Everything feels like a chore, as soon as I find a somewhat decent benchmark scene I'm done with it
Did you like the first one?

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Why are people so eager to play AAA RPGS on day 1?

Jeez, look at any of these, DL1, Skyrim, FO, W3 etc. they all require almost a year of patches and modding before becoming the good games they are.
Yep.

Cyberpunk was my one sin in buying on launch day. Never again. I'm sitting everything out again like I always did... 6-12 months behind schedule is heaven

DL1 had that too except then the chores were novel and you had that discovery curve going on. But it also falls flat pretty quickly after the story missions are done IMHO. I think what carried that game was really just the refreshing take on combat. The parkour. The overall sense of agility. It definitely did last for a good 50 hours for me, I think. The Following had some issues with that, already... it lacked the verticality and that quickly changed things for the worse.

Doesn't mean its not possibly a good ride, but yea. Another reason to wait this out for me and just buy a fully featured release with all DLC on top at budget bin price.

Man... I do that too and I often find myself sorry for it thinking I'm missing things...

But then I realize I don't miss anything, its just blabla because every little objective has a map marker now. Its not like it used to be way back... :D

Reviews are all over the place. IGN's also talks about a lot of bugs and such. It seems that bugs aside, most reviews state the main story to be forgettable but side quests on the other hand have been touted as entertaining and running around the rooftops, and combat seems to be liked as well.
Techland never made good stories, the writer of FO:New Vegas was writing this game but he got me too'ed before this game finished development, explains the scattred story bits

If they butchered the story, characters and voice acting, I will skip this. You can fix bugs, textures, whatever, but you can't fix the design.
Story and characters are Techlands weakest categories

Game is 242k current players on steam, damn this game had hype behind it, 77% mostly positive tho

In my location DL2 is $32 on Epic and I still have a $10 coupon so I'd be getting the game for less than half price!
Yeah, Epic game store has EXCELLENT regional prices, where i live in the middle east, day one triple A games are 20$ !!!!

but 60$ on steam .....

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I pre-ordered it and have no regrets. It looks like they've not progressed on the graphics front that much, the original was pretty awesome though, IMO. Voice acting complaints? Not sure I get the problem. Bugs? None so far but only played about 6 hours or so. Story? I'm looking for my sister in a zombie infested town. That's story enough for an open world game. If people want complex stories, they can read a bloody book. Games are entertainment, not education. Well, that's how I see it.

I think the game might be suffering from preview bias, when folks that haven't played it, are judging it. My call is that if you enjoyed the first one, you'll enjoy this one. There's nothing groundbreaking about it but few games are these days.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You will have to play through to the open-world segment of the game before coop mode is enabled
I hate it so much when games do this

We've had four people get online for new coop games, to sit down and have to spend an hour doing solo tutorial crap before we can play again

Usually we have no interest in a solo play through, so it's a huge aggravating waste of time

D

Deleted member 24505

Well done the solo tutorial bit. Now to see what's what.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Techland never made good stories, the writer of FO:New Vegas was writing this game but he got me too'ed before this game finished development, explains the scattred story bits

Story and characters are Techlands weakest categories

Game is 242k current players on steam, damn this game had hype behind it, 77% mostly positive tho

Yeah, Epic game store has EXCELLENT regional prices, where i live in the middle east, day one triple A games are 20$ !!!!

but 60$ on steam .....
Right, he "got me too'd", rather than he was a creepy sex predator and if only they had allowed him to continue, the game would have been better. That's all pretty gross on your part.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
I've played for around an hour and I like it a lot. Since, I started playing VR games pancake games really haven't wowed me that much, but this game I've had a few wow moments. It looks really good on my Odyssey G5. I'm actually keeping up with the story.. well except a few parts I did skip.. lol I don't really care for how the weapons break, but I haven't had any problem finding enough to have something when they do break. Oh and I would like a gun at some point. lol My favorite part so far is the parkour and I like any night time in games. This one looks really good at night. I have always liked the UV light element of this game and I'm like a moth to a flame. I can't stop looking at the uv lighting cascading around the room.

Right, he "got me too'd", rather than he was a creepy sex predator and if only they had allowed him to continue, the game would have been better. That's all pretty gross on your par
The accuser never got proof to back her claims, and when asked she failed to give convincing evidence which lead to court dropping her case, innocent until proven guilty, which she failed to prove anythin, i thank she was just a disgruntled co worker who wanted to have revenge.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I hate it so much when games do this

We've had four people get online for new coop games, to sit down and have to spend an hour doing solo tutorial crap before we can play again

Usually we have no interest in a solo play through, so it's a huge aggravating waste of time

Dying Light 1 did the same thing so we knew what to expect. Yeah, we hate it too. It took each of us around 2.5 to 3 hours to get to coop. I'll say this though, once we all met up it was a total blast! 18 hours in and I'm sold!

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Right, he "got me too'd", rather than he was a creepy sex predator and if only they had allowed him to continue, the game would have been better. That's all pretty gross on your part.

The world aint perfect and humans certainly not. Dont get me wrong - sexual harassment is no good, I agree.

But... The most twisted minds often produce some of the most impressive content/stories/ideas.

We learn and evolve by solving conflicts. And its clear that with more mind police you get worse ideas, and a much more boring, almost offensively timid world. Societies have a tendency to neutralize conflict while people look for them to feel alive.

A necessary sacrifice... ? When have we gone too far? And how do we preserve (artistic) freedom alongside personal safety? Worth a thought especially for these 'movements'.

System Name Zen4
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard Asus Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Some oem 240 AIO
Memory 2xKingston DDR5 2x16GB (Hynix M die)@6000 CL26-35-35-27
Video Card(s) Gainward Phantom 4090 (@2.82GHz .95V UV, 350W PL)
Storage WD Black SN850X
Display(s) LG OLED C1 48"
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Win11
Played coop with a friend yesterday (on PC@4k). We both enjoyed the first one on PS4, but with this we were both really bored after a couple of hours. I also don't like the art style, a slightly blurry and very brown mess. It's like a bad painting, were perception of depth is gone. Even the green grass "feels" brown for some reason :wtf: But I didn't really have time to explore all the graphics settings...

EDIT: Solved the blurry brown mess by switching to DX11

Last edited:
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Game looks awesome with RTGI+RTAO, very fast loading time too (take less than a minute from starting the game to be fully playable).
I haven't played DL1 so parkour looks pretty new and exciting, will be checking this game out for the next couple of days :D

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Ok, so I bought Vorpx. I'm going to try and get it all set up tonight, but I'm running out of daylight! lol I'll come back and let everyone know how it turns out.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
I have tried it a little bit. For one thing I can say about system requirements. They are not lying. At least not for 1080P with Ray tracing on high quality. The recommended rtx 3080 is definitely needed if everything else is cracked to max as well. I can just stay above the 60 fps mark. At 1440P I go down to around 40 fps. For 1440P I need dlss quality on. There i can keep fps around 60 to 90 fps. So at 1440P with everything cracked up dlss gives a boost of around 30 fps at the location ith and with out dlss. Dying light 2 deffently can give even a rtx 3080 a run for the money sort of speak. 4K is no go as you run out of fps at a playerble fps count with Ray tracing ø. Haven't tried without Ray tracing throw.

But yeah if you are like me wanting eye candy up to max, you need a beefy gpu to do so.