• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK-Quantum Velocity² CPU Water Block (LGA 1700)

System Name BlackE
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Loops (GPU 560mm and CPU 480mm)
Memory G.Skill Trident DDR5 6000Hz 64gb
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 4090 OC
Storage WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Display(s) LG UltraGear 48" OLED 4k
Case Caselab Magnum STH10
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Headset
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Wooting Two HE Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I use the new EK Velocity block on the Ryzen 7950X and it was the easiest install.

Reactions: VSG

Castillan

I use the new EK Velocity block on the Ryzen 7950X and it was the easiest install.
I do as well. This specific block. I lapped the base though. It really wasn't all that flat to start with. I could visually see the ripples/waves in any reflection. Doing that improved thermal performance significantly.

I did notice that mechanically, the CPU chiplets on an AMD7950x are located lengthwise along the lower edge of the IHS, when holding it upright with the AMD logo at the top. This waterblock runs the channels side to side, with the jetting slot in the middle from top to bottom. This is actually ideal for the 7950x. Additionally the internal jet plate allows for more water flow over the chiplets, and less over the area where nothing is under the IHS. So really it is set up really well in a mechanical sense to better cool dual chiplet CPUs.

Also, laying the block flat on its top before mounting, and spraying some silicone lubricant into the gaps where the mounting bolts come out of the bottom and letting it sit for a while really helped with making the mounting easier. The bolts/springs were very "grabby" without doing this and made the bolts prone to snapping off the fragile tip where the Torx bolt fits in. That happened to one of my bolts all too easily, but fortunately EKWB did ship a spare mounting bolt, so clearly they're aware that this is an issue.

Keeping in line with the mechanical layout of the 7950x, I found that the best way to apply the thermal paste was like drawing an H on its side. Basically a line of thermal paste over the chiplets. A line straight up the middle to catch the IO die, and a thin line across the top for coverage. I found that this worked better for me that the "pea in the middle" method, purely because of how the chiplets are arranged on a 7950x.

After all that, I've never seen my CPU hit above 90C in HWInfo95 even when pulling down a 265W all-core load whereas when I first mounted the block before doing all of the above it would still thermally throttle at 95C.

So for a 7950x I do believe it's one of the best blocks out there, but it does require a little extra care and attention to get the most out of it.

Edit: Oh, the block I had on before was this one but it was unable to stop the 7950x from thermal throttling. I largely put that down to the channel/jetting being the wrong orientation for the 7950x.

Last edited:
System Name BlackE
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Castillan, I have the same block. Curious. What are you doing to get 265w? Are you running a benchmark? If so, which one?

System Name BlackE
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Using y-cruncher with the SFT test within the stress-test portion of that utility.
Do you have a link to the benchmark. I'd like to use it.

Thanks...

System Name BlackE
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks. I ran the stress test, but how do you run the benchmark? I chose 0 but don't know which option to choose after that.
Please take this discussion elsewhere, it's not directly related to the review anymore.

System Name BlackE
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
...Also, laying the block flat on its top before mounting, and spraying some silicone lubricant into the gaps where the mounting bolts come out of the bottom and letting it sit for a while really helped with making the mounting easier. The bolts/springs were very "grabby" without doing this and made the bolts prone to snapping off the fragile tip where the Torx bolt fits in. That happened to one of my bolts all too easily, but fortunately EKWB did ship a spare mounting bolt, so clearly they're aware that this is an issue...
I apply thermal paste like making a PB&J sandwich to make sure I cover the entire surface. I never used the pea method or even the line methods. My temperature gets high only when doing stress tests and that's with fans at 1k rpm and pump at 50%. The temperatures hover in the 70s when gaming which is all I am worried about. With that said, I really wouldn't care if it ran at 95 because that's how it was designed to run, so no undervolting tricks for me. But, like I said, the only time it runs that high is during those stress tests so really no worries at all because it won't see those type of loads during gaming or everyday use.

Please take this discussion elsewhere, it's not directly related to the review anymore.
No problem. You can delete the post.

zakalwe

Will this fit on a Striz Z590 board?

I'm currently using; https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-classic-cpu-water-block-115x-20xx-d-rgb

But the nickel plating on the coldplate keeps coming off and;
IMG_20231010_072552.jpg