• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games Store Black Friday Event Kicks Off

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I don't even recall playing torchlight 1, and from what i've seen/read, torchlight 3 was an absolute trash of a "mobile" port with development hell included.

¿what do you mean by I will say this do not get Epic unless you have 2 or even 3 drives."?
Yep indeed I tried to talk a friend out of buying it vs The Ascent and needless to say he appreciated that I got The Ascent on Humble Choice.

What I mean is when you update Windows, Epic gives you no access to your Games. When you go to the Epic site it tells you what I discovered on my own. If you don't want to download the entire Game again start the download on a drive that does not contain the files. Stop the download after about 30 M/s of data so the necessary files are downloaded. Copy the data from the source drive and paste into the new folder that has been created and resume the download. If there were no major updates Epic will transfer the files from one drive to the next. If you are a recommended user you have a C drive and D drive. As you want to store data on your D drive that is probably where your Epic library resides. Instead of putting those files on your NVME boot drive you could have another drive to move those files to so your OS drive does not become too full and effect performance as modern boards have at least 7 drive supports..

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
I really dont get the Epic store, I want it to succeed but man...how do they have nobody there that would just make it a fun enviroment to be?
Steam you start up and look around and talk to friends etc without ever touching a game, Epic store feels so baren and lifeless, not a place you want to "hang out"

and its not like its hard to change that....which makes me respect their "hardships" less and less, they are just not putting in the simple work it requires....
The Steam launcher evolved over a span of now 2 decades, and at this point I wouldn't call it a game launcher anymore. It's a full fledged social media platform that also can launch games. :laugh: It would take EPIC years and some serious manpower to catch up to Steam. I personally would already be happy if they could catch up to GOG, feature & performance wise. But it looks like they just have stopped improving their launcher.

The only reason to get Epic is the free Games. STeam has the best sales, GOG is the best platform and Green Man Gaming has Starfield for $66 on sale. but they had HZD for $13.99 earlier. There are some sweet deals so look around. This is one of the best times to add to your library. Torchlight 2 is like $3 on Steam and that is one of the best ARPGs period.
Just discovered some days ago GreenManGaming's "XP Program". :eek: It applies not to all games, but those who qualify do get a hefty price cut bonus. I think it was around 20%.

The problem is that GG.Deals doesn't add the XP bonus to their price comparisons, so you really have to dig through their website. Makes deal hunting even more complicated, lol.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
The Steam launcher evolved over a span of now 2 decades, and at this point I wouldn't call it a game launcher anymore. It's a full fledged social media platform that also can launch games. :laugh: It would take EPIC years and some serious manpower to catch up to Steam. I personally would already be happy if they could catch up to GOG, feature & performance wise. But it looks like they just have stopped improving their launcher.

Just discovered some days ago GreenManGaming's "XP Program". :eek: It applies not to all games, but those who qualify do get a hefty price cut bonus. I think it was around 20%.

The problem is that GG.Deals doesn't add the XP bonus to their price comparisons, so you really have to dig through their website. Makes deal hunting even more complicated, lol.
Green Man Gaming has been great for me in this age of $99 Games. I am a Gamer so I have been on there since 2017 so I have lot's of XP lol.

At this point its Steam or bust for me. If a game isn't launching on Steam, it might as well not even release (unless its Alan Wake 2 players flooding the Steam Alan Wake 1 message boards because they had no idea where they were supposed to go to discuss their game).

Not even hating on Epic at this point.

Aside from having 250+ games on Steam, most of my IRL friends on Steam already, already having been burned by losing logins and access to alternate launchers that have come and gone etc etc etc... Valve is trying to shake up and move PC gaming a bit. As much as I enjoy Steam as a platform (achievements, forums, big picture mode / SteamOS / Proton so I could make my own homebrew PC-Console Hybrid) I also enjoy stuff like the Steam Link, Deck, Index... Valve is willing to take risks and as the Deck has shown spawn entire PC Gaming subindustries.

When I spend money with Steam, I know I'm not just getting cheap games, I'm actually helping make the entire PC gaming ecosystem more robust.

A buddy of mine was looking to get back into gaming (last system he had was a PS3) but has three kids and rent and was looking to keep costs down. I got a $200 PC together for him (some of my spare parts and some used stuff), set it up to launch into BPM on start-up, and plugged it into his family room TV. By carefully spending about $50 during this most recent sale he's got enough AA and AAA games to last him the next couple years, co-op games with the kids, mature stuff for himself. EGS being "just a store" meant EGS wasn't even an option for him.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm probably the weird one, but why would I start up Steam if not to play a specific game or buy a specific game? I just don't get the "fun" aspect of it. The games are the fun part, Steam is not.
I'm also one of those who just starts up Steam to play a game. But even so. Starting up EGS is like opening a box of nuisance. Given the low frequency with which I open that launcher to actually play a game, I'm often forced to do a clean login and it can also just forget your details after an update. Blizzard's launcher OTOH still remembers me from many months ago, I also barely ever open that one. Their launcher runs at some FPS target below 30, its horribly laggy in everything. Browsing items on the store is worse than going through GoG Galaxy. The library of your own games is barely functional. Download manager is another UX disaster. Its those basic things you DO need in EGS that are telling you all the time 'I hate your guts, minimal effort here to serve you'. And what's more, none of this changes for the better. Or only so marginally, its still giving the impression 'okay, this is bare minimum, at best'.

The number one thing you need to do as a shop owner, is remove all the hassle for your customers, right? EGS fails on it, massively. I'm totally open to having a half dozen launchers on my PC, not that I prefer it, but whatever. I'm totally not open to dealing with companies' lack of interest in making stuff work correctly. Go waste someone else's time, ty.

When I spend money with Steam, I know I'm not just getting cheap games, I'm actually helping make the entire PC gaming ecosystem more robust.
This is actually a pretty strong argument supported by fact. Never thought of it that way. Steam is definitely a key driver for the PC gaming world.

Last edited:
I'm also one of those who just starts up Steam to play a game. But even so. Starting up EGS is like opening a box of nuisance. Given the low frequency with which I open that launcher to actually play a game, I'm often forced to do a clean login and it can also just forget your details after an update. Blizzard's launcher OTOH still remembers me from many months ago, I also barely ever open that one. Their launcher runs at some FPS target below 30, its horribly laggy in everything. Browsing items on the store is worse than going through GoG Galaxy. The library of your own games is barely functional. Download manager is another UX disaster. Its those basic things you DO need in EGS that are telling you all the time 'I hate your guts, minimal effort here to serve you'. And what's more, none of this changes for the better. Or only so marginally, its still giving the impression 'okay, this is bare minimum, at best'.

The number one thing you need to do as a shop owner, is remove all the hassle for your customers, right? EGS fails on it, massively. I'm totally open to having a half dozen launchers on my PC, not that I prefer it, but whatever. I'm totally not open to dealing with companies' lack of interest in making stuff work correctly. Go waste someone else's time, ty.

This is actually a pretty strong argument supported by fact. Never thought of it that way. Steam is definitely a key driver for the PC gaming world.

Highly recommend checking out the Heroic Games Launcher. It's a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS) game launcher/manager for Epic, GOG, and Amazon Games.

I use it on Linux to install and play things from all three stores. No Epic/Amazon/GOG Galaxy install required.

Heroic.jpg