• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fake AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Processors used to Scam Buyers in the P2P Market

I would only buy used (never did so far) when I have the ability to get the product test it for a couple of days and decide to keep it.

Here we have a local market platform like a small amazon (with login accounts) where you can buy online new hardware from online or physical stores. Not just hardware but many different products.
Less than a year ago there is a new section for used parts that users can sell. Sold my old 5700XT 6 months ago. When someone wanted it, I packed it, and a courier came and received it.
The "buyer" received it, test it and decided to keep it. Then I got my money to my bank account. Until then the payment was on hold by the platform. The buyer has the option to not keep the used product for whatever reason within 2 days.
This is how used marketplace should always work.

I understand that this is not as easy when the market is international, so I'm staying clear of those.

This is not the first time I hear this.
GemersNexus a year ago bought fried CPUs and boards during the AM5 SoC fiasco to "investigate" what was happening. While AMD was RMA-ing CPUs, board vendors did not...
I literally do not care if a YT-er makes money on those videos from the platform as long as the video is informative, it has some value to me.

A lot of crap videos on YT that claim to inform you but turned out to be huge waste of time.
I've narrowed down to handful of YT channels (about tech, hardware, physics, astrophysics) over the years and from those I see only those that interest me. Not every video.

Der8auer and Gamer'sNexus is a couple of those.
GN was investigating a developing situation, with multiple reports and sources, and an emerging pattern. It's how an investigation works and it was confirmed through many public sources. Der8auer on the other hand randomly hit the motherlode with one improbable shot in the dark and somehow stumbled onto the only such fake CPU known in existence with not a single report or investigation from independent sources as far as I know. That's despite him claiming the plural both in the English and the German verisons.

This story of him randomly purchasing a defective CPU with such a trivial and common backstory (person scammed with defective product from the classifieds, film at 11) and realizing it's one of the most sophisticated and impractical scamming schemes around from effort and cost perspective is either a one in a billion shot, or something suspiciously similar to a PR stunt. Absent any corroboration from anyone but the beneficiary of the PR himself, my money is on the latter.

I'm not telling you what to watch and who to listen to. And I actually count on good content creators making good money so they can keep creating good content. But if I can't trust their content today, I definitely won't trust it tomorrow.

Last edited:
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2