• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ghost of Tsushima: DLSS vs. FSR vs. XeSS Comparison

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
DLSS and FSR are sharper than SMAA T2X while giving 50% higher FPS, there is no point to stick of TAA or SMAA T2X in GoT

DLSS2 vs FSR2 vs SMAA T2X
(on the left side of the main character DLSS actually reconstructed the thin branch much better than FSR and SMAAT2X)

FSR2 still has disocclusion artifacts when the main character running past objects
DLSS vs FSR
(objects behind the main character become pixellated with FSR2)

Gotta say the worst thing about FSR2, which is shimmering on vegetation, has largely been fixed

Last edited:

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
oddly AMD is the one who is giving me the Frame Gen option, not Nvidia.
It's not that odd, like DLSS Nvidia makes a high quality method requiring a certain standard of hardware to ensure the quality target, then AMD gives us a free, lesser looking version later for free. Nvidia knows this as the market leader, that it's competitors are reactionary, and has no incentive to lower the standard and thus perception of its features to a lower level (think XeSS where the majority of perception is based on the inferior DP4a codepath). Not to mention, we wouldn't even have FSR FG if Nvidia didn't do it first, so thanks to them both from my perspective.

Also, credit where it's due, DLSS FG vs FSR FG is very close, close enough to me to personally negate that as a consideration when buying new hardware. DLSS SR vs FSR SR is sadly not the same case, FSR SR is still leagues behind DLSS SR in everything but forcing a higher sharpening level, if you count that as a plus, personally I like to apply my own sharpening tuned to my taste. Hopefully FSR 3.1 narrows or even closes that gap, but it remains to be seen outside of marketing material.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I found this one a bit shocking after seeing well chosen evidence. The video below is by no means a widely applicable example since it was chosen specifically to show the extreme end of contrast.

Every review/video setup is different - yada yada - so your system and your monitor may perform differently etc and so on. :)

Time cued so you only need to watch about 10 seconds of relevant video.

I think the correct conclusions were drawn even where they appeared to contrast with the specific utility of stills. Which I do appreciate having simply because stationary objects you move around are now very obvious. As are textures and models of the very actively moving items that distract from stationary or less obvious elements.

There are tons and tons of videos but this interactive still format really shines through when your aptitude isn't directed towards pass/fail analysis of images in sharp detail as opposed to best capturing the natural and atmospheric. These latter are parts that make a game interesting and replayable even if the mechanics don't exceed expectations or offer something overly unique.
Thanks, great video post showing differences. I think the XESS has the best particle effects overall and yes there are a bit less than the DLSS on the FSR. I will watch more to see which I overall like!

FSR 3.1 has not been released yet.
You are right, it is not released to the public, but devs might have it. Decoupling Frame Gen is part of the 3.1, from which I assume this game has FSR3.1. Otherwise, It would make allowing FG to work with other tech a very simple change. Or they didn't get FSR3.1, but go just the FG part upgrade, which is strange.

DLSS clearly looks more blurry than FSR (XeSS is not even worth comparing) in both the stills and the video, it's crazy to me Nvidia fans will look at this and insist that you're just blind and DLSS looks much better.
Because DLSS DOES look much better. If you move the camera a little quick right and left, the image gets pixelated, very noticeable in areas with a lot of vegetation. (Probably not that noticeable in 4K but lets be real, 4K makes everything trash look good. For example, even FXAA will look amazing in 4K so its not really fair)
What's funnier is that FSR 2.1 did NOT have this issue. FSR 2.2 is a straight downgrade from 2.1. AMD messed up big time.

Evidence:

So DLSS wins again. Poor AMD. Now imagine the top RDNA 4 card (slower than XTX) vs 512-bit bus 5090.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
Got the game and fiddled with the Xess.

The config settings are in the system REGISTRY. Crazy. Anyway when you change the settings in the launcher you can see them switching back and forth when switching tabs or refreshing.

There is a specific upscalingsharpen option that for my Radeon stays on 0 no matter the Xess or FSR setting. I suspect it's for the dlss only because it doesn't have an integrated sharpen feature. So I can't tell you what it's normal value should be.

I set Xess to ultra plus (1.3x same as quality for others) then set the upscalingsharpen to 1. It seems to look a lot sharper. I haven't bothered to test other values but usually ps sharpen is applied in 0.1 amounts. I've done video projects in the past that's how I know. Less is more or else you get big shadowing.

Last edited: