• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte 6950 OC 1GB - unlock bios

kentaur

Sadly massaaris didnt read RBE instructions and started modifing eeprom pins, which is pointless.
massaaris said:
I tried to modify it's bios with RBE to unlock shaders to 6970 and also to move upper limit for GPU above 900MHz.
RBE states that you cant change GPU clock unless you have a way to regenerate hash which guards this.

I bought my GV-R695OC-1GD today and unlocked it without any hassle - just save original bios, use RBE on it, to unlock shaders, reflash with winflash, reboot and you are done.

Also its suggested to rise overdrive power settings in ati control panel about ~15-20%.
This removes the power limit which otherwise doesn't let your card to run as fast as 6970.

Last edited:

buradd

Sadly massaaris didnt read RBE instructions and started modifing eeprom, which is pointless.

RBE states that you cant change GPU clock unless you have a way to regenerate hash which guards this.

I bought my GV-R695OC-1GD today and unlocked it without any hassle - just save original bios, use RBE on it, to unlock shaders, reflash with winflash, reboot and you are done.

Also its suggested to rise overdrive power settings in ati control panel about ~15-20%.
This removes the power limit which otherwise doesn't let your card to run as fast as 6970.

i had no problems at all really, but i did jump the bios pins 3 and 8 just to be sure.. did you not do this step?

i have one card unlocked and my other is sitting with the circuit pen ink drying on the masking tape i put on the bios chip to jump the pins

also do you know if i can remove this pin jump once im comfortable with my cards bios?

kentaur

i had no problems at all really, but i did jump the bios pins 3 and 8 just to be sure.. did you not do this step?
No and why should you ?
There are a lot of unlocking articles and none of them, except this one, states that you need to do it.
That was the only reason I registered, posted, quoted,... duh

buradd

i have been reading for a week on unlocking this exact card, alot of people are not able to do it, until they do this wire trick, duh.

kentaur

btw I used older Winflash 2.0.1.13, I read somewhere that newer 2.0.1.14 posed problems.

buradd

same..

i now have two gigabyte 6950 1gb OC's unlocked to 6970 shaders and i upped the core to 900mhz and the mem to 1325mhz on both.. running great

top card gets hot.. like always

i used the silver circuit pen trick as a precaution just so there were no problems.. i did it before grabbing the bios with GPU-Z too..w/e.

Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks
Sadly massaaris didnt read RBE instructions and started modifing eeprom pins, which is pointless.

i have the same card (actually 2 of them). i don't have this on my overdrive page >_<
any ideas?

also, can anyone tell me what this error message means? are you getting it? is it related to me not seeing the power limiter thingy in overdrive page? (bios file was saved from gpu-z as well as winflash. same error)

perhaps is it because i am running the cards in CF when i was extracting the bios? i will try removing the second card and see if i still get the same error message.

Last edited:

Ramis

Hello, i have the same message.
I think it's due to the bios 013.012.000.025.000000
This bios has something special.
There is just three frequencies possibility and it's impossible to change frequencies limits

For myself, i have a problem
I never do anything with this card except save the bios with atiflash (without the mod and it works fine)
When i test the card in game or with furemark, the GPU frequency change all the time from 600 to 870 MHz

It's a problem because in games, 1 or 2 seconds freeze appends and in BF3 the game switch to windowed mode all the time.
I really want to understand what append. Is there anybody who have an idea ?
Thanks

buradd

i read somewhere in all CAPS to make sure to unlock each card INDIVIDUALLY if you have two for crossfire..

i plugged each one in seperately and unlocked and tested each one before finally connecting them both into crossfire

i've had no problems.. i also did the bios write protect mod in the OP

codehavok

Buradd just a quick question.. whats the manufacture date/bios date of your cards that unlocked??

Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Do you think flashing the old bios (that doesn't popup that error message when opened in RBE) will harm my cards which have much newer bios?

buradd

i dont understand why people are flashing ANY bios to this card

you should open GPU-Z, save YOUR bios to a file, open RBE, edit YOUR bios file and save it, flash YOUR edited bios

its not hard, why are people not reading instructions?

Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
We are getting an error when opening the bios file dumped through GPU-Z as well as winflash. See few posts above for a screenshot. So I am a bit worried that something might go wrong if the edited file is flashed. I'll upload the bin file when I get back home if you are interested to check.

Has anyone with the bios 013.012.000.025.000000 managed to unlock the shaders?

buradd

you definately have a much newer bios maybe they took the shaders off those batch of cards because of the whole AMD/ati getting mad about it

where did you buy your card?

i got mine VERY recently from newegg and i know that they have 100+ stock so they probably just have all of the older ones on their shelf

might be good info for someone shopping

buradd

leo actually posted a gpu-z screenshot of his unlocked shaders and his bios version matches yours

i followed his instructions to unlock mine

Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
I bought from Japan. I'm in Japan at the moment.

You dear sir is right indeed. Leo's card has the same bios. I'll ask him.

codehavok

Thank you. Yes they do. It appears that gigabyte cards can be unlocked using the method provided, BUT the card must have the older bios. The newer batches are the ones giving the problems. Hence the "laser cut" ect...ect. So its safe to say that if you have a card manufactured around the time of initial release, which was this time last year, it very well is unlockable. Anything other i wouldnt bother doing it.

Ramis

We are getting an error when opening the bios file dumped through GPU-Z as well as winflash. See few posts above for a screenshot. So I am a bit worried that something might go wrong if the edited file is flashed. I'll upload the bin file when I get back home if you are interested to check.

Has anyone with the bios 013.012.000.025.000000 managed to unlock the shaders?

Have you done the flash modification?
If not, could you show me the screen you have for ati overdrive
please.
Because i have this screen for myself and I'm asking me if it's normal :

codehavok

You use your own bios, just modify it. Listen, friendly advise, if you can't read and don't know what your doing then it's probably not a good idea. If your cards bios isn't the one posted by buradd, then think red light.

codehavok

The clocks speeds adjust when the card isnt being used...Would be an awefull waste of kilowatts if it were.

Its normal.

buradd

codehavok; leo posted his gpu-z screenshot of his unlocked shaders and his bios is the new one.. the mystery ensues