• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4 GB

We will not include synthetic benchmarks in VGA reviews. Only stuff you actually play.
The idea is to compare results with your current rig. With synthetics it's easy to replicate (since no default benches exist in most games). Simple is best.

I'll be starting a full rebench soon, with latest drivers and AC Unity + Far Cry 4. Gonna take me like 2 weeks non-stop.
That is great news.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
The idea is to compare results with your current rig. With synthetics it's easy to replicate (since no default benches exist in most games). Simple is best.

Synthetics mean nothing. It's known that certain GPU's are tailored for benchmark results - they don't give a great true to life idea. The only meaningful bench is an in built game bench (few and far between).

I can also tailor drivers to a specific bench that make the card look awesome yet it has fail sauce in game. Benches aren't useful except for playing overclocking games with.

Also, I don't trust other web sites for 'sound' reviews. A lot of them talk absolute shite. I've had cards that some sites (yes, Guru3D is one) say are silent and the cards are anything but. Fact is - you need to do a meta analysis of reviews to get a sound idea about a card.

Hey W1zzard.
I've been reading and loving your r
eviews for years now, and It helped me to choose my 6850 Cyclone years ago actually. ;]
Now I'm looking for better performance without sacrificing my silence.

I've seen a lot of reviews of GTX 970/980 lately and it occurs to me that dB/temp testing metodology is quite imperfect.
It seams to me that way better test for this card would be to check if it can run at idle fan speeds (locked with afterburner or some other utility) while under stress and keep temperatures under what is considered too high (whatever that is for those new cards).
I don't think any fan of silent gaming lets his gpu fan run however it wants to....

What do you think?
Thanks for your consideration.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
The temperature limit (when Boost starts to not Boost any higher), is 82°C, so all of those cards are perfectly fine. Go buy the ASUS Strix or MSI Gaming, if you don't like it I'll pay your restocking fee.

Jordi

For me it is pretty simple. A review should be correct in every way and ppl should decide for themselfs if they only read the conclusion or the whole review. Either way it should represent something. When the reviewer doesn't give any value to his "number" just don't mention it. In the time I went to school and I got a 9,7 for something it meant I was close to perfect except for a very small flaw. I read stuff in this review that can't be named a very small flaw... concidering the whole picture (price, top-end hardware etc...).

Enough said from my part. Not my website and when not open for any comments, I don't mind.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
How do teachers grade essays? How come that different teachers would give different grades for one and the same essay?

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
There seems to be lots of negativity in this thread. A number is a number and it is all subjective. The information required and needed for a consumer to evaluate whether they want the card or not is there. The rating is all in compliance with other items that have been reviewed. Ok so the numbers are high but it shouldn't matter since you as a reader should be able to 'decipher' and factor the things you do and do not want such as sound or temperatures.

You guys are being too harsh! W1zz does some of the best if not the best gpu reviews out there

The temperature limit (when Boost starts to not Boost any higher), is 82°C, so all of those cards are perfectly fine. Go buy the ASUS Strix or MSI Gaming, if you don't like it I'll pay your restocking fee.
Umm, thx that won't be necesary
I guess I'll ask someone who owns those cards how they deal with stress temps on lowest fan speed.

Just though you could make your reviews bit better....

Synthetics mean nothing. It's known that certain GPU's are tailored for benchmark results - they don't give a great true to life idea. The only meaningful bench is an in built game bench (few and far between).
Games can just be as tailored to a specific vendor. Synthetics is just another benchmark, but unlike games it can be easily replicated by anybody outside of your focus group.

But that's okay, with a bit of googling I can find those synthetic benchmarks elsewhere. Thanks.

I own a 980 so i am not a target for this article. Just want to notice there is a verb missing in the very last sentence: "which would also [BE] the case with another GTX 980, or a GTX 970."
Great work as usual Wiz!!!!!

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS423+ w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro | Mac mini
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
wow wtf Gigabyte haha. That is really disappointing performance from that cooler. Makes me wonder if I should have bought MSI or an Asus Strix for my 970s.

Great review as always W1zzard :) Although for such a loud card I'm amazed at the fact it received such a high score.

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
Something I've realized about the gigabyte coolers is they can get a lot quieter with minimal impact. I dropped my 280x from the normal fancurve that maxed at 65% fan to one that maxed at 31% and temps only went from 68c to 75c. I'll admit that is 7c, but it went from audible to totally silent from the rest of my case. The only other fans I have are the kind that come with the T40 cooler from NZXT and you can see their reviews here on TPU! I think this is a case of unoptimised fancurves.