• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GlacialTech Igloo 5750

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Okay I don't know what stock cooler came with your e6700, but the one with the e6750 at high RPM is noticable over my noisy 92mm case fan, dual 120mm case fans and dual 80mm power supply fans. I'm not saying its as bad as the older Stock coolers (eg Prescott ones) but it definately is not silent.

Now, I did 85W tests (the stock tests). If what you are saying is true, how do you explain how their Glacialtech got 18.5 over ambient and their stock got 29 over ambient, when my Glacialtech got 1 degree over stock?

Also, at more watt levels (more heat levels) you say the stock cooler performs a lot worse. Why does their Glacialtech get a massive 20*C cooler than the stock, whilst mine performs 5*C worse?

I am 100% certain that my Stock cooler is variable as I don't touch the speed settings in reviews and I noticed the Stock cooler spinning faster during the test. I don't know what their means of testing were, but I can't see how their Stock cooler performed so much worse than mine if they were running it at full the whole time.

Read the review, they ran it at full blast connected directly to a 3 pin header off the power supply.

I'm trying to figure out the same things you are. Though I already know the answer, really. The reason is that there are multiple different stock coolers. Which brings me back to my original point. Just listing "Stock Intel" isn't worth anything since Intel ships at least 5 different stock coolers, each one tailored to the processor it comes with. Lower TDP processor get weaker coolers. However, they will all be sufficient enought to save you $30 over buying this. The temps might be higher than this cooler, but they will still be acceptable.

Just off the top of my head they are:

Half Height All Aluminum Heatsink with 3-Pin Fixed speed Fan(Ships with the Celeron 4xx series)
Half Height All Aluminum Heatsink with 4-Pin PWM Fan(Ships with the Celeron 12XX series, and possible the same as the one shipped with the E8XXX series)
Full Height All Aluminum Heatsink with 4-Pin PWM Fan(Ships with the E2XXX and E4XXX series)
Full Height Hollow Copper Core Heatsink with 4-Pin PWM Fan(Ships with the E6XXX series)
Full Height Solid Copper Core Heatsink with 4-Pin PWM Fan(Ships with the QXXXX series)

Last edited:
System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
However, they will all be sufficient enought to save you $30 over buying this.

How on Earth can you justify that?

If you go by my review then the Glacialtech is worth getting due to its silence.

If you go buy Frosty's review then the Glacialtech is worth getting due to its silence (not so much because the stock cooler is as silent) as well as performance.

Either review, its never going to be "not worth it".

The Glacialtech is not a product for enthusiasts. How many enthusiasts buy CPU's?...around 1-2%.

The temps might be higher than this cooler, but they will still be acceptable.

I am assuming you are refering to Frosty's review. With your logic: whats the point of getting an aftermarket cooler at all? The Stock cooler has acceptable performance and low noise levels. So aftermarket coolers are only designed for the 1% of CPU purchases made by enthusiasts to get the lowest temperature. And in doing so, they need to fork out $50 to get the best of the best.

Of course they wouldn't be designed for a HTPC rig that wants a "flashy" cooler that they can't hear.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
How on Earth can you justify that?

If you go by my review then the Glacialtech is worth getting due to its silence.

If you go buy Frosty's review then the Glacialtech is worth getting due to its silence (not so much because the stock cooler is as silent) as well as performance.

Either review, its never going to be "not worth it".

The Glacialtech is not a product for enthusiasts. How many enthusiasts buy CPU's?...around 1-2%.

I justify it by the fact that the temperatures are still more than acceptable with the stock cooler and the noice is the same. Either the temps are within acceptable levels(under 65°C assuming 25°C ambient temperature) and the noise is the same or the noise is louder and the performance of Intels offering is better. So if you want silent, Stock can give it to you and still have good temperatures. If you want performance, the stock obviously give it to you over this cooler, but it is louder. Either way, this cooler isn't worth $30 when the stock cooler still keeps the temperatures under 65C at the same noise level.

I am assuming you are refering to Frosty's review. With your logic: whats the point of getting an aftermarket cooler at all? The Stock cooler has acceptable performance and low noise levels. So aftermarket coolers are only designed for the 1% of CPU purchases made by enthusiasts to get the lowest temperature. And in doing so, they need to fork out $50 to get the best of the best.

Of course they wouldn't be designed for a HTPC rig that wants a "flashy" cooler that they can't hear.

The point is to get lower temperatures, if you want lower than acceptable temperatures, then go for it. I isn't going to help one bit to lower the temps below what the Intel Cooler does. If you want to push the processor more and increase the heat output then buy a better cooler. But if you are getting under 65°C with the stock heatsink, leave it alone.

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
Your jumping from one review to another and taking the "good" points about the Stock cooler from both without refering to the negatives. You have to stick to one review or your point is pointless, because both reviews have different results.

I justify it by the fact that the temperatures are still more than acceptable with the stock cooler and the noice is the same.

So we are talking about Frosty's here, because I clearly state that the Stock cooler is louder than the Glacialtech.

Now in relation to Frosty's: Sure the Stock cooler is the same noise level, BUT it performs a lot worse, especially when going under heavier load. Now, the Glacialtech IS worth it because at only $30, you can get a cooler that performs 10-20 degrees cooler than the Stock!!

Either the temps are within acceptable levels(under 65°C assuming 25°C ambient temperature) and the noise is the same or the noise is louder and the performance of Intels offering is better.

So this is my review, as the Glacialtech performs worse but stock is louder.

In relation to my review: Well, simply, there are a lot of people who want quiet rigs and don't care all that much about performance (eg, HTPC rig). At only $30, you can get a noiseless cooler that does the job fine!!

So if you want silent, Stock can give it to you and still have good temperatures.

Back to Frosty's (Stock isn't silent in my review)

According to Frosty's review the Glacialtech does perform a lot better, and again, for $30 that performance is worth it to some people.

If you want performance, the stock obviously give it to you over this cooler, but it is louder.

My review again...(Stock being louder)

As stated, people DO buy coolers for silence and not performance.

Either way, this cooler isn't worth $30 when the stock cooler still keeps the temperatures under 65C at the same noise level.

I believe the reason your thinking it isn't worth it is because your unconsciously being bias (no offence or anything). As a reviewer, you have to consider ALL viewpoints. Some like silence, some like performance, some like looks. At $30, the cooler is not all that expensive. Going from either review, it has its advantages. From both reviews: Its a good looking cooler. Thats personal preference, but is still an advantage over the Stock cooler. Whichever review you look at the Glacialtech DOES have advantages over the Stock, hence, it ISNT a waste of $30 for some (who may desire the features the Glacialtech offers).

The point is to get lower temperatures, if you want lower than acceptable temperatures, then go for it. I isn't going to help one bit to lower the temps below what the Intel Cooler does. If you want to push the processor more and increase the heat output then buy a better cooler. But if you are getting under 65°C with the stock heatsink, leave it alone.

See your not taking it from everyones perspective, but rather, your own. The point of a cooler is NOT just for lower temperatures (as you may find it). The point of a cooler is a range of things, each suiting different people's needs. That paragraph basically says: its all about performance.

Personally, I am using the Glacialtech over my G-Power PRO for the sole reason that it's installation is easy, because I am constantly taking my computer apart and have been frustrated too much with the G-Power. That being said, I am an overclocker who likes his temps as low as they can go. Something as simple as installation (which is many times disregarded) can change someones mind.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Your jumping from one review to another and taking the "good" points about the Stock cooler from both without refering to the negatives. You have to stick to one review or your point is pointless, because both reviews have different results.

Why does each review have different results, also one of my points.

So we are talking about Frosty's here, because I clearly state that the Stock cooler is louder than the Glacialtech.

Now in relation to Frosty's: Sure the Stock cooler is the same noise level, BUT it performs a lot worse, especially when going under heavier load. Now, the Glacialtech IS worth it because at only $30, you can get a cooler that performs 10-20 degrees cooler than the Stock!!

Yes, the performance is worse, I don't dispute that, especially under heavy load. HOWEVER, the performance is acceptable. You are claiming that people buying this cooler are doing it for the silence, and that is why it is worth the money. But if the performance of the Intel cooler is still more than acceptable and the noise is the same, what is the point of this cooler? If you are just looking for silence, the stock cooler already provides that. Yes, this cooler performs better, I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing your claim that people want silence. The Intel cooler give silence. If noise is all you are concerned about, the Intel has that already. Just saying it is 10-20 degrees cooler doesn't matter much. How is that lower temperature helping you? The Intel cooler is still holding the temperature under 65°C even under the heavy load. So there is no benefit to having an after market cooler, 10-20°C isn't helping you in any way. So even if you overclock your Core 2 Duo to put out 150w, which is pretty hard to do, the temps are still going to be under 65C.

So this is my review, as the Glacialtech performs worse but stock is louder.

In relation to my review: Well, simply, there are a lot of people who want quiet rigs and don't care all that much about performance (eg, HTPC rig). At only $30, you can get a noiseless cooler that does the job fine!!

I agree, with you here. There are a lot of people that don't care about performance and just want silent. So if the Intel cooler performs worse, they don't care as long as it is just as silent, which according to Frosty it is. My point from the begining was that you can keep temps in acceptable levels with the Stock fan, and have similar silence. Which the Frosty review confirms. Now if the temps were breaking 70C with the Intel cooler I would say people should start to worry. But that simply isn't happening. So those people that you claim want this cooler only because it is silent and don't care one bit about performance as long as the cooler is keeping the processor safe will be just as happy with the Intel cooler, even if it is 10-20C hotter.

Back to Frosty's (Stock isn't silent in my review)

According to Frosty's review the Glacialtech does perform a lot better, and again, for $30 that performance is worth it to some people.

And again, the people that the performance is worth it to will be fine with the louder stock fan which performs better.

My review again...(Stock being louder)

As stated, people DO buy coolers for silence and not performance.

Yes, and as stated before, those people will be fine with the stock performance. Even if you take your loud stock cooler and slow the fan down to make it silent. Those people don't care that the processor is hotter because, like you said, they are after silence.

I believe the reason your thinking it isn't worth it is because your unconsciously being bias (no offence or anything). As a reviewer, you have to consider ALL viewpoints. Some like silence, some like performance, some like looks. At $30, the cooler is not all that expensive. Going from either review, it has its advantages. From both reviews: Its a good looking cooler. Thats personal preference, but is still an advantage over the Stock cooler. Whichever review you look at the Glacialtech DOES have advantages over the Stock, hence, it ISNT a waste of $30 for some (who may desire the features the Glacialtech offers).

See your not taking it from everyones perspective, but rather, your own. The point of a cooler is NOT just for lower temperatures (as you may find it). The point of a cooler is a range of things, each suiting different people's needs. That paragraph basically says: its all about performance.

Trust me, I'm taking it from all points of view. I have an HTPC that I want to be silent, in fact I want it to be so silent that the CPU is running passive. And I am an overclocker that want all performance and doesn't care about noise. This cooler doesn't appeal to either side.

Personally, I am using the Glacialtech over my G-Power PRO for the sole reason that it's installation is easy, because I am constantly taking my computer apart and have been frustrated too much with the G-Power. That being said, I am an overclocker who likes his temps as low as they can go. Something as simple as installation (which is many times disregarded) can change someones mind.

Oh, I can hear you on that. Ease of installation is wonderful. There are actually many factors that go into a cooler's worth, far more than just performance and noise. Ease of install is one, not being so massive that you cut youself on the fins every time you open your case is another one for me. Again, I'm not debating that this cooler has some good qualities. I'm not even debating your 9 rating. You feel it deserves that, and that is fine. It has some nice qualities.

The problem we have, is that we have two conflicting reviews. We have yours that says the stock cooler is louder, but performs better. And we have Frosty's that says the stock cooler performs worse and isn't louder. Like I said, the reason is most likely due to Intel's multiple stock cooler designs.

The reason to buy an aftermarket cooler is, IMO, to get better performance at lower noise levels, just to get better performance if noise doesn't bother you, or get lower noise at the same performance level. Which is why, IMO, this cooler isn't worth the $30. From both reviews, it isn't proven to me that this cooler fills any of those roles. If we go by your review, it is quieter but at a performance cost. If we go by Frosty's review then performance is indeed improved but noise isn't. And neither show that both noise and performance is improved.

That is the problem that comes up when you have two reviews that are saying the exact opposite, which again is no fault of your own, it is more likely than not entirely the fault of Intel releasing multiple stock coolers all with different cooling and noise properties.

This is getting to be a mess and just walls of text. I'll just drop it here. My opinion is still the same. This cooler is not worth any money if you already have the stock cooler.