• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDMI Forum Rejects AMD's HDMI 2.1 Open-Source Driver Proposal, No 4K@120 Hz or 5K@240 Hz on Linux

They pay a few bucks to the HDMI Forum for every Radeon GPU made so they can have the HDMI port at all.
Any HDMI adopter pays $1 admin fee and $0.15 royalty per device.

We already knew DisplayPort was better, this just seals the deal. If only the industry would move to DP And abandon HDMI.
Not going to happen. Both connectors will simply coexist for many years, as they originate from TV-based and PC-based environments.
It's on TV manufacturers to adopt at least one DP port, in the same way as PCs are flexible enough to host both. That's the only thing missing now.

So even if the US or China or Japan isn't taking the lead, Europe is with their desire to reduce e-waste on some level, and by default it'll end up becoming DP-through-USB. And since everyone's already used to USB-C (and all the stupid 0.5 variations with and w/o TB capability), the change won't really affect many. At worst, just getting a DP to USB-C adapter.
EU can force on TV and home entertainment manufacturers to open up their HDMI devices to include one USB-C/DP connector, but they cannot just ban 9 billion HDMI devices. It is very wide spread. The move will need to be in gradual steps.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Guess AMD will have to include a closed-source blob in their driver if they want to support those resolutions. It sucks, but that is the reality when dealing with shit like HDMI.

HDMI and DP are not equivalent, as mentioned before. One is for "home theater" use, and the other is for "office" use (I have intentionally used very broad terms, please do not get hung up on that detail). Some examples are: HDMI support things like ARC and CEC. DP support MST output. The signalling itself is very different. You can't use a "dumb" cable with DP at one end and HDMI at the other. Unless the device have built-in support for sending the "wrong" signal to the other kind of output.

BOTH support the same HDCP versions to play back DRM protected content. If you use any 1->many splitter the HDCP chain will break. Unless you have a "designed for piracy" splitter that spoof this. In my experience, HDCP will fail even just by using MST to display an extended desktop view in Windows on two HDCP capable displays.

So the bottom line is, AMD can't release an open-source driver because the HDMI Forum owns the HDMI spec. They are however allowed to release a closed-source version if they so choose, which is sad in the greater context of linux.

Tbh, I don't quite understand why the HDMI standard gained so much traction over display port ? Was there something that HDMI solved in the past that Display port couldn't do ?
I asked an Emotiva rep once about the possibility of getting a receiver with Display Port especially since their input board is upgradable /replaceable. I was told:

"It will never happen. Display Port doesnt support the necessary DRM for securely playing video content in the home space and so TV and video manufacturers won't allow it"

I don't really follow detailed specs of video connectors that closely other than to know basic resolution and refresh rate support. So maybe DP supports the same DRM that hsmi uses bow? If so then a switch would be possible, but if it still doesn't then I doubt TV manufacturers will ever switch to it because of pressure from the video side of things and how they love to sue anyone and everyone when it comes to piracy.

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
I asked an Emotiva rep once about the possibility of getting a receiver with Display Port especially since their input board is upgradable /replaceable. I was told:

"It will never happen. Display Port doesnt support the necessary DRM for securely playing video content in the home space and so TV and video manufacturers won't allow it"

I don't really follow detailed specs of video connectors that closely other than to know basic resolution and refresh rate support. So maybe DP supports the same DRM that hsmi uses bow? If so then a switch would be possible, but if it still doesn't then I doubt TV manufacturers will ever switch to it because of pressure from the video side of things and how they love to sue anyone and everyone when it comes to piracy.
Depending on when you asked it may have been correct. There has been times when DP has been a year or two behind in the new HDCP implementation.

Also just to make it more obvious. The later versions of HDCP when they were initially being developed were called "HDCP For HDMI"

AMD is legally forbidden to use HDMI 2.1 drivers that *AMD* developed to support HDMI 2.1 features under Linux? Have I misunderstood something? Else it would mean EVERY hardware device manufacturer could legally forbid someone writing driver support for Linux, which is ridiculous. AMD isn't asking for permission to open-source someone else's proprietary code, so I don't know why the HDMI forum has got its knickers in a twist over this.

The issue is AMD has access to the entire HDMI implementation, they can't just say they developed it out of nowhere. If I reverse engineered the implementation and released an open source version of it the HDMI Forum could do fuck all about it, but AMD can't release an independent version because they have access to the original and it will always be argued they've copied some details over or based their work on it.

Hopefully in future there will be 3 DP Ports in general

That's already the case in about 90% of gpus. As far as I can remember only Gigabyte does 2 DP + 2 HDMI in some models, otherwise it's always 3 DP + 1 HDMI. I don't like HDMI but prefer the gigabyte way with 2+2 because some monitors, particularly the cheaper ones still often come with no DisplayPort ports.

$0.15 royalty per device

IIRC it's 0.15$ per hdmi port.

The signalling itself is very different. You can't use a "dumb" cable with DP at one end and HDMI at the other. Unless the device have built-in support for sending the "wrong" signal to the other kind of output.

If the DP is in the output side you absolutely can, DP is pin compatible with HDMI and has a functionallity called Dual Mode Display Port that allows for a DP output to send an HDMI signal without any issues. Most adapters on the market exploit exactly this, they just connect one end to the other and that's that. It's why HDMI to DP adapters are always more expensive and you need to double check what you're buying.

Unless you have a "designed for piracy" splitter that spoof this. In my experience, HDCP will fail even just by using MST to display an extended desktop view in Windows on two HDCP capable displays

It's not about being designed for piracy, you can't split an HDCP protected signal but you often need to. They could spend the effort re-encoding the stream but why bother!? It also fails under DP MST because Vesa didn't bother to account for that when designing MST, and again why should they!?

The idea of HDCP is completely ridiculous and pointless, it doesn't stop you from pointing a camera at a TV and in the case of physical media, the disc encryption was broken directly years ago. The only thing HDCP ensures is that you need to buy a new equipment every couple years whenever a new version comes out.

Processor Ryzen 9 7900 - Ryzen 7 8700G - Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero
Cooling Custom water loop - Noctua NH - P1 - Custom water loop
Memory 64GB DDR5 - 64GB DDR5 - 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Integrated - 780M - Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" WQHD 2560x1440 240Hz
Case JONSBO D300 - JONSBO TK-1 - Montech King 95
Power Supply Be Quiet 12M 850 - Be Quiet 12M 750 - Corsair 850
Mouse Logitech G403 + Logitech Trackman Marble
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Win 11 - AIDA64 - HWInfo - Afterburner
Let it die on the vine then...

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
My Sapphire Nitro+ has 2+2. Excellent to connect to 4K TV and home theatre.

3 DPs and 2 HDMIs on my Strix 4080. Healthy amount of ports I reckon

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
That is correct, it's a matter of patent and rights holders' interests coming into conflict with the nature of free and open source software. The HDMI Forum gets its knickers in a twist because it's an open-source implementation of something that they own the patents to, and AMD licenses from them. They pay a few bucks to the HDMI Forum for every Radeon GPU made so they can have the HDMI port at all.
Once again, AMD is also a member of that forum: https://hdmiforum.org/members/

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Once again, AMD is also a member of that forum: https://hdmiforum.org/members/

Members of the HDMI Forum have equal voting rights and ability to participate in the technical group that develops the specification. AMD was defeated by their own peers here, which makes my statement correct. AMD's looking out for its own interests here, but it doesn't trump the interests of other members of the organization.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Members of the HDMI Forum have equal voting rights and ability to participate in the technical group that develops the specification. AMD was defeated by their own peers here, which makes my statement correct. AMD's looking out for its own interests here, but it doesn't trump the interests of other members of the organization.
I was more pointing out AMD was part of the body that made things closed in the first place ;)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
Just another example of why HDMI is for the TV realm and Displayport is the real PC interface.
Sometimes you want to use a TV on a PC, hence this still sucks.

HDMI is using the DSC compression scheme from Vesa
Not for 4k@120hz + HDR at least it isn't. Displayport 1.4 is though. You need 2.0 at least to get away from it.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
"...implementation is not possible without violating HDMI Forum requirements." What requirements? :confused: Really lacking context. Is this of technical or political nature? Maybe the HDMI copyright protection doesn't work like it should on Linux or their members are in the pocket of Microsoft. Let's see if we get some more info down the road.
aint no new movies even worth pirating these days so they are full of shit

I was more pointing out AMD was part of the body that made things closed in the first place ;)
HDMI Forum closed the spec in 2021, when AMD was asked to start to work on open source driver for Linux. Their memberships has nothing to do with what majority of members vote as a direction of travel. In fact, AMD openly challenged them. Better to challenge them from within.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
HDMI Forum closed the spec in 2021, when AMD was asked to start to work on open source driver for Linux. Their memberships has nothing to do with what majority of members vote as a direction of travel. In fact, AMD openly challenged them. Better to challenge them from within.
Yes, yes, I know. AMD is not a regular company that goes after open or closed specs as it suits them. They're basically on the same level as early Christian martyrs. :wtf: