• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hp z230 i heard a pop and a burning smell

I just turned on my :HPZ230 i heard a pop and a burning smell I have a bug problem here could bugs have got in the power supply and caused the power supply to blow?:(Can,t get the bigger connector out. :
Can you see anything burnt out in there?What are all those weird white blobs. in there.o_O I can see that the PSU has blown. o_O I don,t suppose the motherboard can be put in a new case?

What sort of bugs? i may have a permanent fix depending on the type of bugs.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I think I got a spare PSU of this type. If you are still in need of it, I can send it to you but you will have to pay for shipping. I won't charge for the PSU of course.

But I gotta check.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
i Ttried a Dell psu with an adapter to fit the PSU to the HP PC for testing purperses,Four Red bleeps green light on ,fan spen for a frw seconds.Does this prove that the HP PSU had done gamage to the motherboard?

As I recall there are two variations on wiring for the HP power depending on model, but I am too busy at the moment to track it down.

What sort of bugs? i may have a permanent fix depending on the type of bugs.
I am sorry to say the worst ones you can have.Cock roaches:(
I think I got a spare PSU of this type. If you are still in need of it, I can send it to you but you will have to pay for shipping. I won't charge for the PSU of course.

But I gotta check.
That is very nice of you, but postage from Canada would cost an arm and. leg i would think.Once again that is very kind of you. :)

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Well, if you change your mind, let me know.

I am sorry to say the worst ones you can have.Cock roaches:(

That is very nice of you, but postage from Canada would cost an arm and. leg i would think.Once again that is very kind of you. :)

They very hard to get rid of. We had them here when a neighbor move-in, so we know where they came from. Pest control/experts did all they can to get rid of them but failed. I think someone from local authority dump another pest though our window which is always open most of the year. I think they done this to stop them spreading & I don't think they will admit to dumping another pest though our window, because never in the 35 years+ we had issues with any kind of pest. Someone must have known it was near to impossible to get rid of cockroaches. even thou they put poison all over the place.

Anyway what someone did, was put mice's though the window. We did not notice them at first until they population grew. They did a fantastic job in killing/eating the cockroach. I'm happy to say all the cockroaches are gone, completely eliminated. Not a single one is left.

But now the local authority have left us in a mess with mice's. Mice's are easier to catch & get rid of & our local authority was dealing with it then stopped. I think mice trap are more expensive than cockroach poison. Anyway AFAIK the mices are not spreading around neighborhood. It's not that easy for them to get out, which begs the question, how did they get in/here in the first place. I have spent personally around 200 UKP trying to get rid of them. Yes they are easy to get rid of but im restricted what i can do due to other third party who's behavior is very poor in letting me get rid of all of them within 4 days.

Be warned i'm not suggesting or advising anyone to try this as mices carry they own problems/disease. At some point this will end up in court, because someone brought them here. Someone knew the mices will eat the cockroaches. I for one did not know they would do that.

Last edited:
OP. As others have stated the white blobs are to keep components in place for manufacturing process. The pop & burning smell is likely the primary PFC switcher blowing. Check the internal fuse too. Proprietary cabled PSUs are a PITA. There are many PSU/Case/sensor mod guides for these.

OP. As others have stated the white blobs are to keep components in place for manufacturing process. The pop & burning smell is likely the primary PFC switcher blowing. Check the internal fuse too. Proprietary cabled PSUs are a PITA. There are many PSU/Case/sensor mod guides for these.
I got the Dell psu working with the Adapter fans spinning green light on. :) I have orded a HPz230 psu from eBay ,i suppose i could have gone for a normal PSU ,but at the end of the day ,that hack job to get it to fit it in there is a job to far for me.o_OPlus the fact. i don,t want to upgrade my 1060

They very hard to get rid of. We had them here when a neighbor move-in, so we know where they came from. Pest control/experts did all they can to get rid of them but failed. I think someone from local authority dump another pest though our window which is always open most of the year. I think they done this to stop them spreading & I don't think they will admit to dumping another pest though our window, because never in the 35 years+ we had issues with any kind of pest. Someone must have known it was near to impossible to get rid of cockroaches. even thou they put poison all over the place.

Anyway what someone did, was put mice's though the window. We did not notice them at first until they population grew. They did a fantastic job in killing/eating the cockroach. I'm happy to say all the cockroaches are gone, completely eliminated. Not a single one is left.

But now the local authority have left us in a mess with mice's. Mice's are easier to catch & get rid of & our local authority was dealing with it then stopped. I think mice trap are more expensive than cockroach poison. Anyway AFAIK the mices are not spreading around neighborhood. It's not that easy for them to get out, which begs the question, how did they get in/here in the first place. I have spent personally around 200 UKP trying to get rid of them. Yes they are easy to get rid of but im restricted what i can do due to other third party who's beo_Ohavior is very poor in letting me get rid of all of them within 4 days.

Be warned i'm not suggesting or advising anyone to try this as mices carry they own problems/disease. At some point this will end up in court, because someone brought them here. Someone knew the mices will eat the cockroaches. I for one did not know they would do that.
Some years ago my landlady did manage to get rid of them.With about the only get rid of those nasty bugs.Raid ant and cockroach killer.I don,t think it is a good thing to breath in.I do have some other stuff which my landlady paid for.Snipper.They got in to the other four flats here and the shop next door.I will have to at some point get round to cleaning the place but i have so much stuff.They seem to like cardboard boxe,s and even PC games cases? o_O They move so fast i was going to spry it but it was gone in a flash.o_OI understand if you swot them they you can end up with more, i don,t know if that is true.There are all so really tiny bugs i don,t know weather they are baby roach, s.I understand that if there was a Nuclear war they and Rats would survive. :(

Last edited: